Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

It looks like the devs are going to patch in adjustable FOV, but consider yourself warned: the game might look and behave like it has a wider FOV!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can someone spoil the first game for me? I'm probably going to grab this, but I'm never going to go back and play the first.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
So, I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but (on Normal at least) you appear to be invulnerable while knocking someone out. Maybe it's just their body absorbing bullets. You can also use the knock out command while in front of someone if you're running at them or just strafe a little to their side.

An entire water wheel room full of Nazis just got knocked the gently caress out (like the rooms full of Nazis before it). Even the heavy guy that walked in later. I think this counts towards the good ending too, since no one dies. Plus, you get to load up on all of their ammo and guns... not that you can carry more than two or three rooms full.

I'm liking this game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Can someone spoil the first game for me? I'm probably going to grab this, but I'm never going to go back and play the first.

How come? If you like one, you will like the other, guaranteed. Plus metro 2033 is literally free sometimes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How come? If you like one, you will like the other, guaranteed. Plus metro 2033 is literally free sometimes.

Because I never do.

I still have the first Dead Space I swapped a game with someone for about 2 years ago.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ethanol posted:

Anybody have an AMD HD 7000+? Wondering if the game is worth buying with my HD 7950, I've heard some sketchy stuff about this game and AMD so far but nothing confirmed.

Running more or less fine on my 7950, on DX10 and high settings. Needs a new driver badly though, flickering shadows and weird slow-downs suck.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Running more or less fine on my 7950, on DX10 and high settings. Needs a new driver badly though, flickering shadows and weird slow-downs suck.

Why not dx11?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Short version?

Artyom's home station get's attacked. Everyone blames Dark Ones, "the next step in evolution." An old friend named Hunter comes by to check it out, tells Artyom to go to Polis Station and speak to Miller ( leader of the Rangers ) if he dies.

When he doesn't come back, Artyom heads out. He meets up with Bourbon, an old scav/bandit, Khan, a strange old man who knows all the secrets of the tunnels, and eventually Ulman/Pavel, who get him safely to Polis.

Polis thinks it's all nonsense fairy tales, and the war between the Nazi's and Commies is a far more pressing concern, but Miller believes him, and mobilizes the Rangers to the surface to fight off the threat. They decided the best plan of action is to raid the Great Library ( which is filled with super powerful mutants ) to find the location of D6, a military installation that housed nuclear payloads. Eventually they reclaim D6, although at the cost of many Rangers.

The game ends with Arytom, Miller and Ulman forcing their way to the old Broadcast Tower to get a clear view of the Botanical Gardens where the Dark Ones lived, so they could get coordinates for their nuke. Miller get's hurt badly by a demon ( flying gargoyle style thing ), but Arytom makes it to the top. Dark Ones try one last time to get in contact with him, but he fights it off, and blows them all back to hell.

Throughout the entire game, Arytom keeps seeing strange visions from the Dark Ones, which are seemingly hostile to him/nearby people. He's one of the few that can manage to shrug off their mind tricks though, which keeps letting him escape from anomalies/death traps that would normally kill his merry band. Something that's implied, and outright stated in the books, but seems to be a core theme of Last Light so I'll spoil it within spoilers is that
the Dark Ones are not actually hostile, but trying to communicate, just nobody can understand them, so we view them as a threat. In the books, Arytom realizes this at the very last second, right after the nukes go off, which turns him into a broken wreck come 2034, as he committed an act of genocide. Last Light handwaves this a bit so far, making him feel bad about it, but uh, not that bad.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nothing like getting hosed over by a bad checkpoint making so I can't beat an area. loving games...

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Hold on, I got the bad ending?

I, uh, I don't know what do to to please you, Metro.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kobogartimer posted:

It looks like the devs are going to patch in adjustable FOV, but consider yourself warned: the game might look and behave like it has a wider FOV!!

Where did you see this?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I can't figure out how to do non-lethal takedowns. I keep killing people even when I don't mean to, though it kinda feels good too. Anyhow, how do I disable without killing on PC?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NESguerilla posted:

Nothing like getting hosed over by a bad checkpoint making so I can't beat an area. loving games...

I had this happen in the catacombs, it wasn't fun.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I can't figure out how to do non-lethal takedowns. I keep killing people even when I don't mean to, though it kinda feels good too. Anyhow, how do I disable without killing on PC?

Sneak up and hit Use instead of Melee.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

404notfound posted:

Where did you see this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57662058&postcount=121

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I assume you're on Ranger Hardcore, otherwise it's E.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ethanol posted:

Why not dx11?

It ran ridiculously slow. Unless the first area was just really choppy. Also retained a habit from Metro 2033 and STALKER CoP about turning DX11 off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

Why not dx11?

Dx11 causes shadow flickering on 7xxx cards.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If the game asked me to install a service pack for Windows Vista to enable directx 11 when I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, should I assume it's running on dx10?

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I shouldn't be spending money at the moment so I'll have to wait some time for this. I loved Metro 2033 despite its faults. Is the new game less linear? As in more open or different routes to take. With Metro 2033 the walking straight down tunnels started to get a little dull. I'm hoping this new location has more variety in environment and gameplay mechanics.

Well, I guess I'll spend the time till I can afford it playing Metro 2033 again and the second two S.T.A.L.K.E.R games I have yet to play for some reason lost to me.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I swear the Steam pre-purchase page mentioned getting a copy of the novel(2033), not just the comic book. How do I get that?

edit: Once again the Steam community forums confirm that some people got it. It shows up for at least one person in /metro last light/novel. Not so for me, having preordered directly from Steam.

Note on the book (I realize this is from pages ago)

To get it in Steam, go to the library page for Last light, and hit the DLC button on the right hand side. You can "Install" it from there.

Beat it on Normal, (sorry not a Ranger Junkie) I kept DX11 on because I didn't know that flicking it back to DX10 would solve my flickering issues. Even on normal some of the game feels a bit unexplained.

Particularly a couple of the boss fights where I was told to "Shoot/disable the X!" and couldn't really figure it out due to not seeing what I needed to hit or it being semi unclear (friggin BEAR!). Also the game would tell you to do things in the most vague terms imaginable.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Dx11 causes shadow flickering on 7xxx cards.

Still there on DX10 (less so, but definitely there), and DX9 won't launch at all.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
So I'm fighting a bear and I ran out of ammunition. Is there some trick to this fight I'm not getting?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Maybe my game was bugged or something.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 15, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Killbot posted:

So I'm fighting a bear and I ran out of ammunition. Is there some trick to this fight I'm not getting?

Did you fall off a bridge and into a pit with stone pillars? If thats the fight you're in, have him smash a brick wall on one end.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Jesus Christ, people with arachnophobia need not apply. I'm not one of them and some of the nest rooms still made my blood run cold. The sounds are horrifying.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
So is there no way to figure out what secondary you have equipped in Ranger HC? I somehow managed to switch from throwing knives to pipe-bombs and I'm not sure how I did it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Literally the only thing I'm not liking is the constant little minicutscenes where you're knocked-down/out or whatever. That's one of the reasons I gave up on Far Cry 3, though I like metro too much for that to happen here.

Shadow puppet guy :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not unforgivable or anything, but the control scheme is a little bit unwieldy with an Xbox controller. I wish using switching poo poo would just pause the game and give me a minute to figure out one of the 5 or so menus I need to be acessing.

RentACop posted:

Literally the only thing I'm not liking is the constant little minicutscenes where you're knocked-down/out or whatever. That's one of the reasons I gave up on Far Cry 3, though I like metro too much for that to happen here.

Shadow puppet guy :smith:

Once you split off on your own there is a lot less of that and the game isn't so forcibly linear either.

What happened with the shadow puppet guy? I skipped his dialog.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 15, 2013

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Peruser posted:

So is there no way to figure out what secondary you have equipped in Ranger HC? I somehow managed to switch from throwing knives to pipe-bombs and I'm not sure how I did it

I am playing on ranger easy but the idea should be the same hit tab to bring up a wheel to see what secondary you have equipped and the highlight the top section to select throwing knives again.

I am still early in the game and pretty awful at stealth but that doesn't bother me as I never did like the nazis in 2033 and that hasn't changed at all in last light. I did spare this one soldier who was hiding in a meat freezer. I hope he doesn't get executed for cowardice later in the game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, the Ashford (single-shot shotgun pistol) is my new go to weapon over the Revolver; It can be silenced, it does a poo poo ton of damage (more then the Duplet), got decent range,and it has a tight spread.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Man, the Ashford (single-shot shotgun pistol) is my new go to weapon over the Revolver; It can be silenced, it does a poo poo ton of damage (more then the Duplet), got decent range,and it has a tight spread.

Yeah that thing is brutal as hell.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I had a few questions before I get the game installed:

1) Should I go ahead and play Metro 2033 first? I liked the Stalker series, so perhaps playing the first Metro is a good warm-up?

Or is it a better use of time to jump into M:LL?

2) Can M:LL be modded with simple changes? For example, if I find aspects of Ranger Hardcore too annoying, would I be able to adjust settings within the *.ini files or config files to change some features?

3) If I select Russian speech in M:LL, can I enable English subtitles? I liked the English subtitle feature in the Stalker series, though I think I had to mod that feature in (or download the russian voice-pack, can't recall).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Killbot posted:

Edit: Nevermind, got it. Maybe my game was bugged or something.

No, I did this four times.

The trick is you have to aim HIGH. In most of those fights where it's vague, look for anything with red and shoot it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know if I'm near the end, probably am, but this game took a serious turn for the cute. :3:

http://i.imgur.com/7UOkEf5.jpg

D'awww, he thinks he's people.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

What happened with the shadow puppet guy? I skipped his dialog.

It's not huge or anything but I'll spoiler it just in case he keeps trying different animals and the kids keep guessing different horrible mutants, after awhile of trying to explain what birds are and whatnot he gives up and in a depressed tone says he must have forgotten how to do them right, and will try again tomorrow

Also, that's excellent to know about the knock-downs and linearity

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I tried to reinstall Metro to get around the safe mode and now it's sitting at 100% and telling me that a disk write error occurred. Anyone else getting this?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad to see the revolver is still as absurdly powerful as ever. And it's nice that you can knock people out in stealth from the front, the game gives you a small grace period to jump out and cold clock someone. That patch seemed to have fixed most of my problems too. No more crashes for the moment.

And oh man the plane part was bad, but when you see the missiles start to launch and see a nuke explode and 2033's theme kicks in as the loving cockpit shatters, goddamn game.

So far the worst thing is there appears to be a total of three voice actors for every non-important NPC.

RentACop posted:

The funny thing is this happens in the novel nonstop too. Artyom kills a grand total of one guy (a Nazi), and spends the rest hiding, crawling, getting the poo poo beat out of him or getting almost hanged.

e: As an aside, from what one paragraph on Wikipedia told me, Metro 2035 is pretty much a novelization of Last Light, but going into further detail.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 15, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok this game has went from good to awesome post getting the rail car . Finally it's letting me breath and explore and all these little optional side areas are great.

Can you save the girl who is getting raped(?) and killed? that was pretty :(

Edit: you can! :)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 15, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Ok this game has went from good to awesome post getting the rail car . Finally it's letting me breath and explore and all these little optional side areas are great.

Can you save the girl who is getting raped(?) and killed? that was pretty :(

Yes

The point the game went good to great for me was Chapter 18(17?) the swamp, the game ramped up the difficulty pretty fast and having to run across the map looking for spare ammo, filters, and guns to fight off that monster and the demons finally made me actually feel challenged by Ranger Hardcore.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
Am I the only one having a fuckton of trouble at the (spoilered just in case) ferry waiting part? I've reloaded 10 goddamn times and everytime I just get loving swamped before the guy even gets there. Should I be standing in a certain place? I've tried like 3 loving spots and I've tried being mobile but nothing seems to loving work. I always run out of shotgun shells and revolver shotgun reloads so loving slowly. I'm playing on hardcore and I've not had a single difficulty problem up till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Snake_in_a_box posted:

Am I the only one having a fuckton of trouble at the (spoilered just in case) ferry waiting part? I've reloaded 10 goddamn times and everytime I just get loving swamped before the guy even gets there. Should I be standing in a certain place? I've tried like 3 loving spots and I've tried being mobile but nothing seems to loving work. I always run out of shotgun shells and revolver shotgun reloads so loving slowly. I'm playing on hardcore and I've not had a single difficulty problem up till now.

Yeah that thing is a loving bitch. Took me a good half a dozen tries to do it and I think I mostly did it on luck the last time. Here's what I did anyway:

I basically stood right there on the dock with my back to the water. It seems the monsters attack in patterns (one from the left, then one from the right) mostly and well placed shotgun double shots take them down immediately. Then you just have to scramble to reload while kinda already aiming at where the next monster will be.

Good luck, I thought that was the hardest part in the game, personally.

• Locked thread