Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Smeef posted:

I regularly run through an Army base with armed checkpoints. They stopped me one time to ask for ID, but I played dumb, they let me through, and they've never bothered me since.
Is this over by Ari? Behind Villa and bordering Viphravadi? I used to live over there and run through that particular base. The enlisted guys seem to get a kick out of it sometimes, especially when they're running in formation and you trot by at a quicker pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

Is this over by Ari? Behind Villa and bordering Viphravadi? I used to live over there and run through that particular base. The enlisted guys seem to get a kick out of it sometimes, especially when they're running in formation and you trot by at a quicker pace.

Yep, that's the one. It's a bit strange because the soldiers are so young. It feels like I'm running around a high school.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Running on top of trains? That sounds like a really fun action movie. I'm always tempted to stop by Bangkok for a weekend but my schedule is just too busy. Too many places to go, not enough weekends :smith:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Bloodnose posted:

They commonly use WeChat in Vietnam? Does it have a Viet version? I've always found Chinese software to be pretty unfriendly to everyone but Chinese users.

Well it supports the Vietnamese accents if that's what you mean. Thousands of people seem to be using it in Saigon only.

ReindeerF posted:

Oh no, I sense we may be headed for our thread's "Yoda of prostitution" moment a la the China thread.

We're all too classy for that!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

We're all too classy for that!
Ron Burgundy as an aging sexpat journalist in Bangkok could be the backdrop for a humorous movie.

npn
Mar 7, 2006
I've never seen WeChat in Vietnam, Yahoo Chat seems to be what is most widely used in Hanoi.

Maybe it's used in Saigon because of the Chinese-Vietnamese population there?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Don't know, maybe targeted marketing. I currently see 28 girls in a 1km radius. Yahoo is used for direct conversations but to "meet new people", WeChat and Badoo seem to be the thing. Lots of locals want to practice English and talk with foreigners, etc.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Barfolemew posted:

Also, i was in Bangkok and i was in some market with this looong street with stalls selling fake everything with bars on boths sides named PUSSY, was somewhat eye opening experience. Also touts selling me ping pong shows.

It's sad that I know exactly where you're talking about and have ended up there twice, dragged by random guys who have heard this place is "totally badass" and won't listen to reason.

Once I had a random Navy guy pay for the whole group to see a ping pong show there, and a half hour in he looked over at the rest of the group and asked "What the gently caress am I watching? This is really weird..."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Foreign burnout loser in SE Asia news now:

http://bit.ly/16x3oHH

quote:

The head of the Immigration Department of Koh Kong Province stated that, at 5:30 am of the 5th of May, 2013, they had received a report from the សណ្ឋាគារអេប៉ិច (Aspect, Epic Hotel?) that a foreigner staying there had been creating a disturbance throughout the hotel and alarming the other guests. The foreigner was also accused of smashing up a glass cabinet and smashing a drinking glass. The report stated that 3 security guards and the hotel handyman had managed to restrain the troublemaker by tying up his hands behind his back before the department was contacted.

-The head added that when immigration police arrived at the scene, they found the foreigner’s passport to be in order, but the foreigner himself to be heavily under the influence. The Immigration Department of Koh Kong then passed the case onto police responsible for enforcing the penal code.

-Police dealt with the case by arresting the 3 security guards and the hotel handyman on charges of torture and unlawful confinement (ធ្វើទារុណកម្ម និងបង្ខាំង) when the prosecutor of the Koh Kong Provincial Court issued a court order for their arrest.

-Police stated that the 4 were arrested because they had taken a 15.5 meter long electrical cord to tie up the foreigner, without having received prior permission from the police to do so.
Wot.

Worth it for the pics. The guy is BritSexTourist.jpg. I'm guessing from the Koh Kong location and the look that he's a Pattaya refugee. Sorry Cambodia!

EDIT: Actual photo of Tytan:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 14, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

quote:

-Police dealt with the case by arresting the 3 security guards and the hotel handyman on charges of torture and unlawful confinement when the prosecutor of the Koh Kong Provincial Court issued a court order for their arrest.

Oh gently caress that. Hahaha. Were they supposed to allow this rear end in a top hat to keep smashing up the hotel? Ridiculous. The police are lucky they were called at all.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Haha and I thought the Thai police were the epitome of Keystone Cops. That's fantastic.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ps Finch! whale shark at white rock this morning xoxo

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

ps Finch! whale shark at white rock this morning xoxo

:argh:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I am in bangkok. It's so hot.

Is there a night market anywhere tonight? I am staying in silom but can go anywhere. I'm going to wander around and find myself a cheap hostel in a cool area to stay for the next couple of weeks. Any recommendations?

Also I've had so much street pork already it's unreal. I'd still be out there gobbling it down if I wasn't jetlagged like duck.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

duckmaster posted:

I am in bangkok. It's so hot.

Is there a night market anywhere tonight? I am staying in silom but can go anywhere. I'm going to wander around and find myself a cheap hostel in a cool area to stay for the next couple of weeks. Any recommendations?

Also I've had so much street pork already it's unreal. I'd still be out there gobbling it down if I wasn't jetlagged like duck.

From memory most of Silom Road (or maybe just the bit towards Patpong) turns into a night market from around 6.

Cheap hostels... do you want dorms or something else? If you're down with dorms (I haven't stayed in one here, though) I like Niras Bankoc: http://goo.gl/maps/Cztai

Great location to get slightly away from the Khao San madness but near enough to be walkable if you have a craving for it. The location is a bit average - you'll need to get a canal boat to a train station, or get a taxi to National Stadium BTS, to the east.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Is there a night market anywhere tonight? I am staying in silom but can go anywhere.
Silom road's got poo poo off and on all night. I'd recommend you head down to Chinatown (either by BTS/boat or just bus) too as it's a massive massive night market for food. A more farangish one, but still excellent Thai food is Sukhumvit Soi 38 at Thong Lo BTS. Can always pop up to my hood for the riverside night market too if you're up for it next week.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Foreign burnout loser in SE Asia news now:

http://bit.ly/16x3oHH
Wot.

Worth it for the pics. The guy is BritSexTourist.jpg. I'm guessing from the Koh Kong location and the look that he's a Pattaya refugee. Sorry Cambodia!

That is like an Onion article, geez

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

Hey man you know what it's like; rough day at work, need a couple of beers to unwind... next thing you know you've been tied to a chair by hotel security. :britain:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Hey man you know what it's like; rough day at work, need a couple of beers to unwind... next thing you know you've been tied to a chair by hotel security. :britain:
It's all fun and games, but tell me that a good chunk of PNH's barang population hasn't said this at some point, heh.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Finch! posted:

Cheap hostels... do you want dorms or something else? If you're down with dorms (I haven't stayed in one here, though) I like Niras Bankoc: http://goo.gl/maps/Cztai

Great location to get slightly away from the Khao San madness but near enough to be walkable if you have a craving for it. The location is a bit average - you'll need to get a canal boat to a train station, or get a taxi to National Stadium BTS, to the east.

I was just there for a Night last week and it's an alright place. It's a little American backpacker age 18-25, but everybody was friendly and in the evenings people drink in the bar/reception area and it looked like they all went out for more drinks after, we were Way too jetlagged to participate, but it looked fun enough. We won't book there again as the location was a little difficult for public transport for our liking, but you could walk from there to almost all attractions in the 'old City' and there's oodles of streetfood right next door . Next time we're in Bangkok we're trying chinatown, it May be suicide, but at least it'll be Strange and Maybe even a little unnerving.

If you just want a clean dorm, a lot of People are rooting for lub*d in silom. We'd stay there, but the Price is not pr room but per occupant, which makes it out of our budget. Essentially, i Think you could get a room there for 800, whereas we'd have to pay twice that, since we're two people. Beds in the dorms go for a lot less tho.

Also, Koh Tao for us tomorrow! Yay! Go whale Sharks!

Edit: autocorrect

Edit 2: what is up with all those cover versions of western Music? Is it Playing for my benefit and Will it ever stop?

prinneh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 15, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

prinneh posted:

Edit 2: what is up with all those cover versions of western Music? Is it Playing for my benefit and Will it ever stop?
"Hey, that song isn't sappy enough. Let's slow it down, make it more instrumental and add a ukulele. Oh, that's much better."

-- Every Thai Singer

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
First night in bangkok and I ate a maggot.

It was disgusting.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Oh god, that's me in 15 years if I'm still here...

Senso fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 16, 2013

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Very well put:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/asia/travel-tips-and-articles/77704?intaffil=lpemail

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, pretty much that. And gently caress the guidebook haters. You can still get "off the beaten path" with mainstream guidebooks if you wish to push yourself. Lonely Planet could get you into the backwaters of Isaan, and the time I spent in Northeastern India -- firmly off the foreign tourist trail -- has its own LP edition. The funny thing is when you're in a place like that you might be the only foreign tourist in town, but you won't notice the domestic tourists and travelers unless you're paying attention. Unless you're hiding in an Uzbek mountain pass it's a no-win game. See what you want and don't be snide.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Backpackers poo poo on tourists, tourists poo poo on backpackers, expats poo poo on tourists and backpackers, locals poo poo on expats, backpackers and tourists, people back home poo poo on locals, expats, tourists and backpackers - it's the circle of life!

Personally I just think you should do whatever makes you happy. The only people I do get actually irritated by (other than the visibly rude, gross or obnoxious folks of any class) are the tourists who pull the "Oh God I would NEVER eat the ice" routine about everything - "IS IT SAFE!??!" - and package tourists particularly from developing countries who just cling together in mobs and can be a real nuisance in malls, airports, on public transport and in restaurants.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kinds of travelers that I prefer to run into only in small doses:

- Bros / hos / bassheads / here for the drugs (Vang Vieng)
- Unfounded cultural superiority / bad manners / in a herd (Mainland Chinese, Some Brits, Germans, Americans and Russians)
- I Want To See The Real X (Cities only, country only, sites only, whatever only)
- No balls
- Doesn't read books / doesn't "get" art

I think that covers it. It's normal to go to a place and want to see whatever civic project or natural wonder is there that the place is kinda famous for, but you should also be able to keep your eyes open and be willing to follow your nose as well.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You forgot the Traveler.

And sex tourists? Or are they not that bad?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bloodnose posted:

And sex tourists? Or are they not that bad?
They're not always possible to spot, but usually are and, yeah, I had them filed under the "rude, gross or obnoxious" category along with Siddartha the unbathed hippie and several other stereotypes. The ones you can't spot aren't in any way personally offensive that you'd ever notice, so they're not relevant I think.

Travelers are just the hipster equivalent of backpackers, IMO. You know, not particularly different than anyone else, but can't wait to explain to talk about every special thing they've done or seen and how unique everything is when you're on a journey or whatever. I suppose some concessions should be made for that occasional weirdo you meet who is on a perpetual military disability or something, doesn't actually live anywhere and never stops traveling. I've met a few of those and they're a loving handful, for real.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 16, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sex tourists usually have somewhere to be where I'm not likely to see them, and on their way there they usually keep their head down. With that said, the guy who introduced himself to me in Cambodia by saying "Hi! I'm Frank. I'm a pedophile" isn't one of the shining stars of my SE Asia times.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Sukhumvit"

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

package tourists particularly from developing countries who just cling together in mobs and can be a real nuisance in malls, airports, on public transport and in restaurants.

The best bit is the little flag

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

duckmaster posted:

First night in bangkok and I ate a maggot.

It was disgusting.

If it makes you feel any better, the maggot thinks you're pretty disgusting too.

Man, I miss Thailand. Even Bangkok (> NYC from my first few days here).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

The best bit is the little flag
I wish I were shorter sometimes, because what I want to do is get in a really crowded airport area with a flag and then shove my hand up in the air above the crowd and walk away from the group leader and out into the taxi area, leaving them there befuddled. Maybe I can make a little car with a tall hand on top and then just drive it through crowds with a tour group flag sticking up in the air. I give pretty good odds they'd follow it.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
More westerners trying to be artists in Laos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUukqUN69o

I'm not expert on the Lao language but his pronunciation sounds pretty poor.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Hah, Ahmadinejad is coming to Chiang Mai this weekend for a water summit. Wonder how much of a cluster gently caress the city will be.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Written by Chris Crash and Roger Rock. :ssj:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
How much should I have paid a tuk tuk driver for an approx 7 minute journey, during rush hour? He took side streets and alleys so we were there far quicker than a taxi and far safer than a bike, but I don't want to look like a western idiot and overpay. I don't mind giving a tip cos it was an emergency and he helped me out (I left ny teddy bear at the hotel I stayed at on Wednesday look just shut up alright) but I am curious to know how much he ripped me off by....

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

duckmaster posted:

How much should I have paid a tuk tuk driver for an approx 7 minute journey, during rush hour? He took side streets and alleys so we were there far quicker than a taxi and far safer than a bike, but I don't want to look like a western idiot and overpay. I don't mind giving a tip cos it was an emergency and he helped me out (I left ny teddy bear at the hotel I stayed at on Wednesday look just shut up alright) but I am curious to know how much he ripped me off by....

why would you even ask this question without mentioning where you were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Hmm yes it does seem stupid. Bangkok, from chong nonsin skytrain to holiday inn silom.