Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Oh yes, FD failed in Lguk. Love me some corpse runs.

Edit: Died again! Fell into the mino pit chasing after a runner. Help needed liveside!

Equality fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I'll be on a bit today if you still need a drag or if the other newer folks want some goodies. Check for me on Berak and Illtair.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
can i have moar goodies i'm 10! i got some stuff i can give you if you can foward it to the lower levels , too

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Is there a non-pure caster class that is decent at soloing? I play far too sporadically to rely on good groups.

Halfling Clerics are kinda cute but something tells me a cleric just doesn't go too far solo.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

Nilbog Resident posted:

Is there a non-pure caster class that is decent at soloing? I play far too sporadically to rely on good groups.

Halfling Clerics are kinda cute but something tells me a cleric just doesn't go too far solo.

Bard is kinda cool

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Druids solo well early on with damage shields and heals and later with root+DOT, snare+DOT, quad kiting, and using charm on animals. Harmony (useful for getting single pulls), wolf form and SOW (faction modifier + movement speed), and both gates and group teleports are also handy. However, they are not very desirable in groups.

Shaman start off kind of mediocre with poor buffs and heals, but they eventually become one of the best solo classes with root, DOTs, SOW, a pet, cannibalize (sacrifice your HP for mana), haste, heals (torpor at 60 is a game changer), and most importantly, the best slows in the game. Shaman eventually solo by slowing and tanking mobs, dropping torpor on themselves, spamming their epic DOT, the nuke from a Jaundiced Bone Bracer, and cannibalizing their extra HP into more mana while their pet wails on the mob from behind. They also are desirable in groups all the way to 60.

Bards can get solo XP extremely quickly by kiting large groups of mobs with AE songs, but this can be tricky and a bit frustrating to master. There's also a limited number of places to do this. Bards are, of course, quite desirable in groups as well.

Paladins, Shadowknights, Monks, and Rangers can all solo to some degree but will be very ineffective compared to the above classes without some serious twinking.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
My first character was actually a Shaman, I got him to 39 before I retired him and sold all his equip to play around on other guys. I really don't know why I did, I think I didn't like his name or something stupid. I sperg about character names hard. Maybe the realization that I'd never afford the stuff that would make me awesome played a part, hahaha.

Maybe I actually will try a Druid, it'd surely be handly being able to get around so easily. I tried Bard once and they seem funner but I wouldn't wanna play if I couldn't do those uber kites - but I tried a lot on one a long time ago and I just couldn't get it to work consistently. A SoW probably would have made it easier, but I dunno.

I've always loved playing melee and running really fast though, so hell, maybe I will try again. Thanks for the info dudes.

edit: Is that site that tells pricing trends still up? Or does anyone know the ~plat value of a Woodsman's Staff? Or if the goon who helped me cover the few extra thousand plat I needed to buy it forever ago would like, I'll just give it to them for their past good will. I can't remember who it was, though. :confused:

Nilbog Resident fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 14, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nilbog Resident posted:

edit: Is that site that tells pricing trends still up? Or does anyone know the ~plat value of a Woodsman's Staff?

It got integrated into the wiki a long time ago: http://wiki.project1999.org/Woodsman%27s_Staff

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is also a good place to check prices. It has more raw data with less analysis than the wiki which allows you to get results from people who misspell or abbreviate the name of an item. It is also a good way to track down buyers/sellers.

The EC tunnel subforum of the p99 official forums can also be helpful for your auctioning needs.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Anyone with Monk experience able to tell me if I should be dual wielding knuckle dusters or keeping with my 2hb peace bringer? I don't suppose anyone has a couple knuckle dusters collecting dust somewhere they would be willing to part with?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That's a hot debate that different people will tell you differently. From a lot of what I've seen, unless it's been adjusted, 2HB on P99 is kinda poo poo. Tstaff still commands a high price because of the proc (which no monk should want in a raid or group to be honest), but a lot of it's price is honestly because it was awesome on live. I know I often outparsed that VP monk staff that has a stupid good ratio (not that anyone in my guild has it, but I had assisted with some epic fights for people in other guilds).

Granted, DPS on classic EQ is pretty inconsistent anyways. It takes a LOT of parsing to get a good idea of what damage weapons do. I think "the pros" back in the day wouldn't work with less than like 8 hours of log data before saying how parses were.

I guess what I'm saying is, it probably won't matter too much. The real main takeaways will be:

-a miss on a 2hb "hurts" a lot more, because you're swinging a lot less
-a hit on a 2hb can crunch out a big rear end number which is fun
-if the mob has a DS, you'll prefer the 2hb. I always kept a peacebringer in my bag (never got a tstaff) for nasty DS mobs.

So use whatever you like. Or switch it up.

Edit: I'll also defer to arpmeinidaidiaeaeddd because he's way better at the game than me. Pilsner and MrTheDevious are also both great EQ monk players (with Pilsner having more hands-on monk experience), but I don't think either of them play here, just live.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
About a year and a half ago, 2HB was unquestionably better than all but the best 1H options due to the non-classic damage bonus being applied (which also made an RFS the best DPS weapon bar none). They have since fixed this, and this fix plus the availability of epic fists and sky fists have made 1H weapons the DPS weapons of choice, even with VP 2handers floating around out there in decent numbers.

If you're past the damage caps and starting to rack up a decent damage bonus, then this is a rough ordering for weapons you're probably concerned with:

Best DPS
AC+SoS = TS (with procs)
JM+SoS
JM+AC = TS (without procs)
JM+KD = PB
KD+KD
Worst DPS

2Handed weapons have a mathematical advantage while soloing due to higher damage ripostes from you and a lower frequency of riposte/damage shield damage taken from mobs. However, they also put out less consistent damage over the short term, which can occasionally gently caress you while chasing a running mob or trying to finish a fight without having to FD.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Took part in a small-ish sky raid that lasted to the early morning and dwindled down to 12 people on island 5. Got a 12 man kill on the spiroc lord. It was the most fun I've had on p99 in a while. This game is so much more fun when you do stuff with small numbers. I wish the raid scene wasn't such a poo poo show so people could attempt dragons and gods with low numbers instead of needing 30+ because you need to rush an engage to ensure you don't wipe so the other guild doesn't get the loot.

Gweed
Aug 25, 2004

I recently started playing again and have an lvl40 shaman - Gweed.

I would love a guild tag.

Thanks

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Hey Gweed if you happen to play strange hours we should start a duo team. My monk just hit 40 so it would be perfect! Look for Ekto in game.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
Unrest be poppen'. 12 to 16 for yard and ... more than that for not the yard. Msg daaz if you wanna hang in the yard with us today :3

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Update of my post on the previous page: scrapped the Human Enchanter (was only level 6), and made an Erudite chanter named Aloof instead (because...better stats!). Up to level 12 now, currently killing bandits in WK. It's a 14 years old memory, but I think I remember the sash quest being decent money for this level.

Random passerbys in Qeynos Hills and Blackburrow have given me a few nice low level items (Gatorscale Sleeves, Savants Cap, PBB), otherwise I have either cloth or nothing in some slots, heh.

Been fun so far, though I did have one ridiculous incident when I got turned down for a group because someone inspected me and my trash gear didn't measure up I guess. EQ emulation = serious business.

Gweed
Aug 25, 2004

Equality posted:

Hey Gweed if you happen to play strange hours we should start a duo team. My monk just hit 40 so it would be perfect! Look for Ekto in game.

I definitely play odd hours, I will be playing with a Mage buddy tonight at 8mst. I will look you up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm wrapping up the semester and going camping later this week, so I probably won't be on much until next week. If you still want/need a tag by then I'll get ya Gweed.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Can anyone suggest some lower-mid level twink weapons for a Bard? I'm just gonna throw a set of banded on him, but I wanna cover all 3 1hs/1hb/p so I can level everything evenly. Also because lowbie weapons sucks.

CSS looks real nice, but the prices on them seem to vary wildly. What would you guys pay for one?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Daaz posted:

Bard is kinda cool

Is aoe kiting a thing on '99?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nilbog Resident posted:

Can anyone suggest some lower-mid level twink weapons for a Bard? I'm just gonna throw a set of banded on him, but I wanna cover all 3 1hs/1hb/p so I can level everything evenly. Also because lowbie weapons sucks.

CSS looks real nice, but the prices on them seem to vary wildly. What would you guys pay for one?

For piercing get the 9/19 + solid stats Sionachie's Partisan for like 500pp.

For 1HB a 9/18 Jade Mace works great for 2k or pay 3-4k for the top of the line 14/24 Guardians Mace.

A CSS is great for 1HS, but yes, people will try to gouge because it's standard twink gear for tons of classes. I wouldn't pay more than 2500, and you should be able to grab one for less than that if you're patient and run into someone liquidating their twink they got bored with. You can also spend around 7k for a Breath of Harmony and never have to upgrade.

Of course you could just snag a Partisan and something really cheap like an Ebon Razor (9/25 for <100pp) for your offhand which will get you up to AE kiting level no problem (at which point your weapons don't matter).

It mostly depends on how much money you have to throw around and how much time you want to spend in EC getting that perfect twink set before you start playing your bard.

No More Heroes posted:

Is aoe kiting a thing on '99?
Most definitely, though it doesn't work exactly the same as on live due to runspeed and hitboxes being slightly different.
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23132

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Granted, DPS on classic EQ is pretty inconsistent anyways. It takes a LOT of parsing to get a good idea of what damage weapons do. I think "the pros" back in the day wouldn't work with less than like 8 hours of log data before saying how parses were.
People on Monkly-Business still to this day sperg out if someone posts a log that isn't 10+ hours worth of parsing. :monocle:

What do people parse on on P1999 anyway - are there any high HP, non-attacking or rooted mobs?

Also, if I might critize one argument:

"-a miss on a 2hb "hurts" a lot more, because you're swinging a lot less"

That's a bit of a fallacy, because it evens out over time. I agree that psychologically it might feel annoying, particularly with EQ's high miss rate.

PS: I'm levelling a Monk (Zliz the Human Monk of course) on EQMac as we speak - good times. I'm working on the newbie armor and the sash quests and eagerly awaiting to hit lvl 17 for FD. :D I love the fact that the world is just there - no station cash store, no RAF bonus, no Lesson, no test copying, absolutely no fuss or bullshit. The game is as it is.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

What do people parse on on P1999 anyway - are there any high HP, non-attacking or rooted mobs?

They just parse a random fight :P. Like "I was using such-and-such, and someone else was using such-and-such, and on fight against Random_Target I totally outparsed!". That's why I said I've outparsed that VP staff a few times with epic/sos, but I wouldn't really consider it much.

Pilsner posted:

Also, if I might critize one argument:

"-a miss on a 2hb "hurts" a lot more, because you're swinging a lot less"

That's a bit of a fallacy, because it evens out over time. I agree that psychologically it might feel annoying, particularly with EQ's high miss rate.

My bad, I should've been more specific. I was just trying to give the main take-aways that you'd notice, so you knew how to apply them for a given situation. In a regular group/raid situation, it won't matter, but solo'ing, that's one of the downsides of 2hb. You get a couple of misses, and you might have to FD the mob off and try again.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Parsing is a bit rougher because of the lack of these (and believe me, I've bitched about Pain and Suffering not being around to parse against being non-classic). The only situation that works out like that is if you can set up a duel against a warrior or other high hp person and have a Donals cleric sitting nearby spamming their BP on the person you're beating down. Given the provision against boxing and other third party software, it's pretty tough to set this up. I have actually been waiting for the Velious beta server to come up because I have a few parses I want to run and have warrior and cleric accounts ready to box with my monk.

Otherwise, you pretty much have to parse against extremely large samples of normal mobs while controlling for as many variables as possible if you want anything approaching good data. This means you need to control your mob facing (always fight from front or always from back), your buffs, and your use of disciplines. This also requires doing a bit of math because even a well set up copy of Gamparse will gently caress up the length of engagements from time to time and skew your DPS results. You pretty much just take the hit data (unsuccessful swings, successful swings, and damage distribution) and use the delay of the weapon to figure out what the DPS would be as a result. This also means you can't parse two one handers of the same damage type at the same time because there will be no way to tell which is which.

Almost no one does this and there's really only two other people on P99 I know who parse with any kind of rigor, which is why I mostly ignore what other people have to say in DPS theorycraft conversations. Most of the data I have I've gotten from soloing thousands of goblins in Droga while working up my Chardok faction and doing trio groups in the hole where I was DPSing from the back of mobs the entire time without any buffs but epic haste. I've also done hate, fear, and sky raids where I do nothing but DPS from the back of mobs with identical sets of buffs, but my sample size is pretty limited since I was usually forced to pull if I was on these raids with my monk.

Velious will help out a lot with parsing information on raids because of mobs having so many more HP - just another reason I'm looking forward to it.

PS: Sorry Sirduh if I just made you quit EQ again :D

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Thanks for the info aparm, I actually ended up buying a Harmonic Dagger for piercing on impulse. Seems comparable to your suggestion, at least.

I'm definitely gonna try to trade my Woodsman's Staff for a Breath of Harmony, heh.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nice, that's a sweet piercer for leveling up, though you will probably want to replace it for use in groups once it starts proc'ing as Tishan's Clash is a damaging stun that draws huge aggro.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Parsing is a bit rougher because of the lack of these (and believe me, I've bitched about Pain and Suffering not being around to parse against being non-classic). The only situation that works out like that is if you can set up a duel against a warrior or other high hp person and have a Donals cleric sitting nearby spamming their BP on the person you're beating down. Given the provision against boxing and other third party software, it's pretty tough to set this up. I have actually been waiting for the Velious beta server to come up because I have a few parses I want to run and have warrior and cleric accounts ready to box with my monk.

Otherwise, you pretty much have to parse against extremely large samples of normal mobs while controlling for as many variables as possible if you want anything approaching good data. This means you need to control your mob facing (always fight from front or always from back), your buffs, and your use of disciplines. This also requires doing a bit of math because even a well set up copy of Gamparse will gently caress up the length of engagements from time to time and skew your DPS results. You pretty much just take the hit data (unsuccessful swings, successful swings, and damage distribution) and use the delay of the weapon to figure out what the DPS would be as a result. This also means you can't parse two one handers of the same damage type at the same time because there will be no way to tell which is which.

Almost no one does this and there's really only two other people on P99 I know who parse with any kind of rigor, which is why I mostly ignore what other people have to say in DPS theorycraft conversations. Most of the data I have I've gotten from soloing thousands of goblins in Droga while working up my Chardok faction and doing trio groups in the hole where I was DPSing from the back of mobs the entire time without any buffs but epic haste. I've also done hate, fear, and sky raids where I do nothing but DPS from the back of mobs with identical sets of buffs, but my sample size is pretty limited since I was usually forced to pull if I was on these raids with my monk.

Velious will help out a lot with parsing information on raids because of mobs having so many more HP - just another reason I'm looking forward to it.

PS: Sorry Sirduh if I just made you quit EQ again :D

Apparently there is a bit of a Velious test box up at the moment that I know at least a few TMO members are on. I'm pretty sure if you PM Alovia, one of the newer GMs, you can get access to it. That's what I've heard, at least.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Funkutron5000 posted:

Apparently there is a bit of a Velious test box up at the moment that I know at least a few TMO members are on. I'm pretty sure if you PM Alovia, one of the newer GMs, you can get access to it. That's what I've heard, at least.

It's not running P1999 code, just the basic EQEmu stuff which doesn't use the same tweaked damage calculations. They're only using it to test and fix pathing on raid mobs in Kael/ToV/ST, etc. at the moment.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I managed to come out on top on a trade for a Breath of Harmony with a few pieces of INT caster stuff on an old alt, poo poo yeah. Now all I need is a 1HB... If anyone's on and can do an item transfer, hit me up on Baleyg or Imsin please.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If you don't know it already, and if it gets implemented properly, a good parsing mob should be Bloodmaw in GD. It's perma rooted, has a shitload of HP, and if you have a friend cast high-hate spells on it (tash, stun or snare for example) from a distance, you should be able to attack it from behind for quite a long time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, again, all the take-away from the parsing of EQ really shows is "DPS isn't king in EQ". It's more about what's situationally better, such as, how long is the fight? Does it have a DS? Do your weapons have a useful proc? Or do they give you aggro by proccing? Those types of questions, combined with what you need to be doing on a given fight.

Given that the 'real life' scenarios aren't valuable for parsing, it makes it seem like parsing itself is what isn't valuable. EQ loves it's dice rolls!

It kind of reminds me of the "benchmark wars" for video cards. I don't follow it like I used to, but at one point they started tuning drivers to perform well on actual canned benchmarks. That lead some hardware sites, like HardOCP, to start doing actual gameplay measures. It's much more valuable that way. I think a lot of that applies here too.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
One more bard gearing question, I really appreciate all this feedback.

So I basically have weapons covered for the foreseeable future with my Breath of Harmony and Guardian's Mace. Got a MM Drum, gonna grab a Gypsy Lute as soon as I see one. I have like 4-5k left, maybe a bit more if I go about liquidating all of my old gear - is there any other stuff that would be a great boon to my leveling?

Bare in mind I grabbed a few mid-level pieces off of my old Ranger. Treeweave, Hero Bracers, Crested Spaulders, 5/55 rings, rest is still basically banded.

Could I do any better than Golden Topaz Earrings? 3ac, +8 VS Disease.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Nilbog Resident posted:

One more bard gearing question, I really appreciate all this feedback.

So I basically have weapons covered for the foreseeable future with my Breath of Harmony and Guardian's Mace. Got a MM Drum, gonna grab a Gypsy Lute as soon as I see one. I have like 4-5k left, maybe a bit more if I go about liquidating all of my old gear - is there any other stuff that would be a great boon to my leveling?

Bare in mind I grabbed a few mid-level pieces off of my old Ranger. Treeweave, Hero Bracers, Crested Spaulders, 5/55 rings, rest is still basically banded.

Could I do any better than Golden Topaz Earrings? 3ac, +8 VS Disease.

What about replacing those banded pieces with Lambent?

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Didn't Lambent get sort of left in the dust with a lot of Kunark gear?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Nilbog Resident posted:

But I'd still consider it better than Banded. and I think right now the economy is kinda inflated and messed up, so you might even want to wait for some price drops, and go with the lambent?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lambent is an upgrade over banded with better AC and some stats and won't cost you much. You can also be on the lookout for cheap Singing Steel pieces - they have some variously handy clickies and good AC. If you're some variety of elf, the Koada`Dal cultural armor is pretty rad for bards, but it will be kind of pricey.

Earring wise, an earring of essence is a solid investment but might be more than you want to spend on one earring.

Honestly, you've got plenty to get started. Upgrading your armor with that kind of budget is more of a cosmetic exercise than anything at this point - you don't have enough to afford regen/haste/dragon instruments and those are going to be the big game-changers for normal leveling. If you end up AE kiting then the only thing that matters is your instruments, so you might just save that money for a bigger ticket item or a random amazing good deal on a small upgrade down the road.

Nice, I had forgotten about him. Cazel isn't rooted but he can be snare kited and used much the same way if you have a willing partner - it's just annoying to need more than one person to do any of these things when I should be able to beat on Pain and Suffering in Paineel among other places.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2013

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Nilbog Resident posted:

I take it you are planning on grouping/meleeing to level? Then the best armor you can buy is that Mystic Koado'dal smithed armor. I suspect you can get a set pretty cheap

If you are planning on AE kiting eventually then you basically just need a denons horn (last I remember this can be bought for 5kish) and as much MR as you can swing. I'd also highly highly recommend jboots.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 17, 2013

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I do plan to learn how to AE kite just because I don't like having to wait around/schedule around groups too much. Also, I'm a HUMAN. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Human, you've made a wise choice. I had a human bard on Live but because I'm dumb I've made elves on all the emu servers.

You'll quickly get addicted to AE kiting, I suspect.

For AE kiting you'll basically just want Denon's horn and jboots (10k total, less if you can camp the jboots). You can be otherwise naked. If you want, you can get some MR (you will agro casters sometimes and they will try and root you!). Some people don't use jboots but it really is the best option in my opinion. Selos is too fast (more speed -> tighter circles -> less forgiving) and takes up a song slot that could be used trying to reapply dots which is important when you are picking up deep reds in your kite or just generically to increase dot uptime. You will also never die because you forgot to put it up, didn't realize you missed that note etc. Also you'll be happy you have jboots every single time you go inside.

• Locked thread