Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Swiss capital of Bern has built a new power plant in its adjacent municipal woods: the "Kehrichtverwertungsanlage Forsthaus West" (=forrester's lodge). The plant, which was approved in a 2008 referendum with a majority of almost 88%, converts waste, wood and natural gases into energy with a 76% degree of efficiency (that's about double your average coal plant). Shame that it looks like total rear end on the outside, though.

(This picture makes my head hurt :psyduck:)

The control room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A bright comfortable nouveau interior with a crushing gray brutalist exterior is exactly the appropriate message for a coal plant to send though.

Hungary loses 70% of its territory in the treaty of Triannon.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 15, 2013

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Arglebargle III posted:

A bright comfortable nouveau interior with a crushing gray brutalist exterior is exactly the appropriate message for a coal plant to send though.

As far as I'm aware Switzerland doesn't actually have any coal plants as it has no coal. That isn't to say they don't use fossil fuels- they actually import 85% of their electricity of which the majority is probably fossil.

The energy produced in Switzerland is a combination of nuclear and renewables, mostly hydroelectric thanks to the sheer quantity of big gently caress-off huge mountains. This is the Contra dam on lake Vercasca, famous for its use for the bungee scene in Goldeneye. It puts out 105MW:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

System Metternich posted:

The plant, which was approved in a 2008 referendum with a majority of almost 88%, converts waste, wood and natural gases into energy with a 76% degree of efficiency (that's about double your average coal plant).
This is an extraordinary claim, as the world's best combustion energy cycles run at ~60% last I heard (bleeding edge combined cycle natural gas turbines). Do you have a link?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The Swiss capital of Bern has built a new power plant in its adjacent municipal woods: the "Kehrichtverwertungsanlage Forsthaus West" (=forrester's lodge). The plant, which was approved in a 2008 referendum with a majority of almost 88%, converts waste, wood and natural gases into energy with a 76% degree of efficiency (that's about double your average coal plant). Shame that it looks like total rear end on the outside, though.

I was recently in Switzerland and I have to ask (assuming you're Swiss - though I thought you were Austrian?); why does a lot of stuff in Switzerland look so decidedly 1970s? I was in Geneva and almost everything outside the centre looks like it was built around 1975. This design seems to reflect that as well, though clearly just on the outside.

Gimby
Sep 6, 2011

bawfuls posted:

This is an extraordinary claim, as the world's best combustion energy cycles run at ~60% last I heard (bleeding edge combined cycle natural gas turbines). Do you have a link?

Incredibly extraordinary - a perfect Carnot engine would have to be running at around 950C to get that kind of efficiency, given typical generation losses it'd need to be up around the melting point of steel to get those kinds of values. What have they built it out of?

-edit, picture

Unlearning
May 7, 2011
Different reasons to hate the government:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I got the pictures and the claim from here (German only). Further googling leads me to this interview (German as well), which clarifies that the ~80% efficiency is only reached when the outside temperature drops below zero with the average annual figure hovering around 55%, so sorry about that :shobon:

the jizz taxi posted:

I was recently in Switzerland and I have to ask (assuming you're Swiss - though I thought you were Austrian?); why does a lot of stuff in Switzerland look so decidedly 1970s? I was in Geneva and almost everything outside the centre looks like it was built around 1975. This design seems to reflect that as well, though clearly just on the outside.

You remembered right, I'm in Austria and just thought that the story/pictures were neat, so I can't really respond to that - sorry again!

Defending Viennese soldiers open fire on Ottoman troops during the second Ottoman siege of Vienna in 1683. Just yesterday I met a older lady here who claimed out of the blue that were was "a third siege by the Turks" going on right now :rolleyes: She was nice enough (to me) and apparently has lived all over the world herself, so I really can't understand how she could subscribe to this right-wing populist notion, even if she qualified her statement with "the Turks are really nice people!" afterwards. Considering that almost as many Germans as Turks live in Vienna (e.g. myself), this idea really is bullshit on all counts. The siege of Vienna continues to be somewhat of a nationalist mythos around here, maybe I'll write a post about it someday.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Megiddo posted:

Obviously, he means hard as in difficult for him to understand.

I never watch CNN, because lol american media, but I take it this Wolf fellow is especially idiotic?

These are the heads of the "new" (new faces for old idiocy) coalition government. They discussed how they should divide government over waffles at a luxurious summer villa.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

It'll all end in tears.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I never watch CNN, because lol american media, but I take it this Wolf fellow is especially idiotic?

http://youtu.be/xEJrn9MlXN8

:wow:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Well, looks like the NRCC doesn't have to emulate Buzzfeed anymore. One of the Koch brothers just bought them a gift!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Gazpacho posted:

Martyr Saint Joseph

Blessing of guns

Czar with Icon riding past soldiers

In 1943. the Russian Orthodox Church raised over 8 million rubles to pay for a tank battalion.
In February 1944 [acc. to outher sources: on March13, 1944], the Patriarch Sergius presented this independent tank flamethrower battalion named after the famous Russian historical figure Dmitriy Donskoy to the 1st Guards Tank Army.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4th grade exam in Portugal.

When asked to make a phrase while using the word "time" in a non-literal sense a student wrote "It's time Cavaco fired Coelho".

Kids are so smart :allears:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gio posted:

Now, I know this whole Bangladesh garment factory incident looks like to be a sad artifact of unfettered global capitalism, but really it's not. It's the workers fault.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trench_Rat posted:

Blessing of guns

Blessing guns in Belarus:

also:
"People gather in a neighboring under-construction building to watch the rescue operation of the collapsed Rana Plaza building, 30 km (19 miles) outside Dhaka, on April 27, 2013."

:stare: That doesn't look very safe either

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 15, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?

Two guys in a lobster boat are blockading a coal shipment in Massachusetts.

More info here https://www.coalisstupid.org

Jazzahn fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 15, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Defending Viennese soldiers open fire on Ottoman troops during the second Ottoman siege of Vienna in 1683. Just yesterday I met a older lady here who claimed out of the blue that were was "a third siege by the Turks" going on right now :rolleyes: She was nice enough (to me) and apparently has lived all over the world herself, so I really can't understand how she could subscribe to this right-wing populist notion, even if she qualified her statement with "the Turks are really nice people!" afterwards. Considering that almost as many Germans as Turks live in Vienna (e.g. myself), this idea really is bullshit on all counts. The siege of Vienna continues to be somewhat of a nationalist mythos around here, maybe I'll write a post about it someday.

Just curious, in what district do you live to get such a statement? Was this your neighbour? The worst thing I ever heard in Austria was some dude arguing at a Hot Dog stand that we should re-open the concentration camp Mauthausen. You can find a lot of fascism here, if you want to, don't even have to look that hard.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StarkingBarfish posted:

As far as I'm aware Switzerland doesn't actually have any coal plants as it has no coal. That isn't to say they don't use fossil fuels- they actually import 85% of their electricity of which the majority is probably fossil.

The energy produced in Switzerland is a combination of nuclear and renewables, mostly hydroelectric thanks to the sheer quantity of big gently caress-off huge mountains. This is the Contra dam on lake Vercasca, famous for its use for the bungee scene in Goldeneye. It puts out 105MW:

Switzerland is a net exporter of electricity. The reason why you might believe that they are a net importer is that Swiss power companies utilize their extensive reservoir system to buy power when its cheap and use it to pump water up to reservoirs from where its used to generate power during peak times for export. Most of this power is excess nuclear capacity from France and Germany. Switzerland acts as a battery for central Europe allowing other countries to use less fossil fuels to meet peak demand.
There is a similar situation with Denmark's overproduction of wind power and Norway's reservoir capacity.

bawfuls posted:

Co-generation can reach about 90% efficiency, its extensively used in Europe. Switzerland also has several nuclear power plants where cooling water, instead of being dumped, is used to heat entire districts.

This is the Grande Dixence dam, which generates as much power as the Hoover dam (2000 MW)without needing to block a massive river.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

Just curious, in what district do you live to get such a statement? Was this your neighbour? The worst thing I ever heard in Austria was some dude arguing at a Hot Dog stand that we should re-open the concentration camp Mauthausen. You can find a lot of fascism here, if you want to, don't even have to look that hard.

I live in the 18th district, but the lady was just someone I met on the street (in the 1st district); she lives in the 9th district herself, is a born Spaniard, moved as a kid to San Francisco and then spent almost four decades in New York before finally moving to Vienna (if I understood her right). I only rarely come across FPÖ voters (or at least I hope so), so I was spared such horrifying statements for now. But you're right, the far right is frighteningly strong in Austria - not necessarily in numbers (I think that most of the people voting blue are protest voters and don't necessarily identify with all of the party's stances or personnel), but certainly in media presence and sheer influence.

The districts of Vienna. In the last municipal election in 2010, the FPÖ managed to get 25% of all the votes. :suicide:

e: Almost forgot the heart-warming story I wanted to tell as well. In March, I accompanied an old lady (different one) during a charity trip to Bosnia. This lady - Annemarie - is probably the most badass person I've ever met; when the Yugoslav wars broke out in 1990/91, she spontaneously decided to fill her car to the brim with blankets and food and whatnot ("I've got to do something!") and drove all the way south to Zagreb, alone. She did this for three years almost every Wednesday, which was her free day. In 1993, she directed her attention towards Bosnia after being told that the situation was even worse there, and in the following years made dozens of trips right through the warzone - the stories she can tell are insane. She continues the trips to this day, some of them alone, some of them with additional helpers like me. Anyway, she told me of a trip she did several years ago with a big truck full of stuff for Bosnian children. Because she couldn't drive the truck herself, she hired a professional truck driver for the full week she intended to spend there. The driver turned out to be a full-blown FPÖ member, telling her in clear words that "I'll do this job, but I'm in the FPÖ, so don't expect that I will do anything more than what I'm paid for!" Fair enough, Annemarie thought, and he really did a good job navigating the narrow streets of Bosnia - especially in the rural regions, many of them are still in pretty bad shape. But the FPÖ guy obviously wasn't prepared for the massive poverty and misery he saw in Bosnia. On the first day he was the grumpy FPÖ voter, on the second day he was deeply shocked, on the third day he gave some of the poor families they met money out of his own pocket. And when they finally drove home, he turned to Annemarie and asked her to never talk about this week, "or my FPÖ mates will think I'm a chump". This tells you all you need to know about peer pressure and human conscience, I think :v:

Mine distribution throughout former Yugoslavia.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 15, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

I'm disappointed they don't have a sub-headline saying "Inside - this is how her tits looked!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I honestly don't care about jolie's tits but the people (mostly dudes) saying "poor brad pitt" are loving assholes.

One of the guys in the mother's day shooting in new orleans.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's the Daily Mail so it's not so much "Aw, but she had awesome tits" as much as it is "Now the no good lefty slut won't want to Live in Sin now that she has no way to keep him around without her awesome tits."

Because Paul Dacre is not only an inhuman poo poo, he's a puritanical inhuman poo poo.

And a probable Yewtree case.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

My crazy is augmented.

All glory to brave sons of Kazakhstan on Defender of the Fatherland Day!

Holy poo poo he's right. :smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I feel horrible reading that Angelina stuff because my (divorced) mom had a mastectomy recently and is very depressed on how she won't find anyone who won't find her body "repellant". :smith:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

wait poo poo hang on if bachmann has one i may need to reconsider my stance.

CONTENT: Possible :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMBEaS_N0mE
Source may be somewhat unreliable, but HRW seems to think it's legit.

Video shows Free Syrian Army commander cutting out and biting the heart of a dead Assad supporter.

Seriously :wtc: This is what the conflict in Syria has devolved into. The sooner it ends, ideally with a government that's less pro-human rights violations than the current sides seem to be shaping up to be, the better.

NAME REDACTED fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 15, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Verso Books tote bag.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The others still haven't posted Wolf's best moment on CNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sfo32rlkiE

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

It'll all end in tears.
How much of it did you see coming? Like, here we're fully expecting them to try to sell off half the country, burn down the other half while ruining the city by privatizing everything, but didn't people actually pin some hopes on, uhhh, whatever Pinocchio Clegg represents?

Chamale posted:

The others still haven't posted Wolf's best moment on CNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sfo32rlkiE
I'd seen the other two but not this one, so I take it this guy is some manner of massive moron, with these being only a sample of his idiocy, that CNN has for some baffling reason promoted heavily?

Oh, and that Angelina Jolie thang has started a big discussion here about the ethics of informing people that have the gene, because apparently people have "the right not to know".
That's, something. No snappy picture for it tho.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Oh, and that Angelina Jolie thang has started a big discussion here about the ethics of informing people that have the gene, because apparently people have "the right not to know".

drat that's a fine helpful elephant.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

How much of it did you see coming? Like, here we're fully expecting them to try to sell off half the country, burn down the other half while ruining the city by privatizing everything, but didn't people actually pin some hopes on, uhhh, whatever Pinocchio Clegg represents?
I'd seen the other two but not this one, so I take it this guy is some manner of massive moron, with these being only a sample of his idiocy, that CNN has for some baffling reason promoted heavily?

Speaking of BRCA1/2, this fellow is Robert Nussbaum and he started the Sharing Clinical Reports Project. You see Myriad Genetics, Inc. has a patent on both BRCA1 and 2, so no one else is allowed to perform research, diagnosis or treatment related to those two genes. However there is a loophole, Myriad must return the patients gene sequence along with their interpretation of that sequence to the requesting hospital or clinic; so the SCRP asks institutions to give them all the data they've received so they can try to reverse engineer what Myriad is looking for and how they interpret results without running afoul of the patents.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Clegg had some brief appeal in the debates stage based on being an alternative on the (social) left to Labour, which was absolutely foundering by the end, but that didn't actually translate into votes on election day. When it became clear that the only realistic government would be a Lib-Con coalition, there was some outrage on the left (although the required rainbow coalition to keep Labour in power was a practical impossibility), but maybe a little optimism that things couldn't get much worse, and Clegg could be a moderating influence on the Tories.

Ha loving ha.

• Locked thread