Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does using Google Maps eat up a lot of data, if you are using it as a GPS? I have a fool's dream of one day replacing my trusty Garmin with an iPhone, but I am afraid that after using the app for a month I'd have to sell my first born to cover the phone bill.
Depends on what you mean by "a lot" but yeah, it uses significant data. Apple maps uses a lot less (but may not be as accurate or thorough with POIs depending on where you are.) if you've got a really limited data plan and need a lot of nav'ing, apps like navigon or TomTom cost more up front but download all the maps at once (over wifi) and only use data for traffic info and such, so that may be a better deal on the long run. I prefer navigon to tomtom even though the navigon map update deal sucks after Garmin or Magellan or whoever bought them out. I have TomTom too and it's not bad but google maps, apple maps, and waze are all better than both IMHO (but those all use data.)

I think there are apps that will cache google maps over wifi for your route in advance, but I don't remember the names or know how well they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

101 posted:

Unless it's changed recently (I can't tell because I'm a subscriber) I believe Spotify let's you use the 'radio' feature for free
That's awesome, thanks! For some reason I had it in my head that Spotify blocked you on a phone/tablet if you weren't a subscriber. It's given me 48 hours of free access so I'll see what happens after that runs out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does using Google Maps eat up a lot of data, if you are using it as a GPS? I have a fool's dream of one day replacing my trusty Garmin with an iPhone, but I am afraid that after using the app for a month I'd have to sell my first born to cover the phone bill.

It uses very little data. The maps are vectors and are cached so you only have to download them once.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just want to throw out some more love for one of my most-used apps: Delivery Status. I'm constantly tracking packages of stuff that I've both purchased and sold. and this app is a great way to keep tabs on all of them and get push notifications when a status has changed:

TrackThis does the same thing as this app, for $0.99 instead of $4.99.

Not quite as pretty, but it does have one feature I really like. You can choose to have it send you push notifications at every step of the package's trip, or only when it's out for delivery/delivered.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Are there any apps that I can use to GPS track myself, with minimal impact on battery life? I have to log expenses for work and I keep forgetting where I travel all the time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Slice does package notifications for free. I dig it.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Any recommended app for Google Talk that's best?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
IMO messenger is pretty good. Google may announce some unified chat service today though rumor has it.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just want to throw out some more love for one of my most-used apps: Delivery Status. I'm constantly tracking packages of stuff that I've both purchased and sold. and this app is a great way to keep tabs on all of them and get push notifications when a status has changed:

They also have a companion Dashboard widget for Mac users, NC ready, and a bookmarklet to add items from sites.
http://junecloud.com/software/mac/delivery-status.html

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

a glorious hole posted:

Any recommended app for Google Talk that's best?
I've been using Beejive for a year or so now since it was last recommended. It's pricey but seems to be worth it, I'm unsure if anything new has come out since then.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

iostream.h posted:

I've been using Beejive for a year or so now since it was last recommended. It's pricey but seems to be worth it, I'm unsure if anything new has come out since then.

I used to use Beejive, but switched to IMO years ago. IMO works just as well, has a more attractive interface and is free. I highly recommend it.

Edit: FWIW, I haven't used Beejive in years, so it's possible they've improved the interface since then.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Suqit posted:

I'm constantly searching all my streaming services for a movie or TV show I want to watch and it's always a pain in the rear end to find out what is on where and for how much and in what quality. Then I found How to Watch and my life is so much better I never have to leave the couch again. It searches Netflix, Amazon Instant, iTunes, and Xbox video and tells me which services have the program in what quality and at what price if applicable. They say they'll soon add Redbox and then I won't even have to post anymore.

I prefer Fanhattan but I did give How To Watch a whirl.

I hate how How to Watch has a different listing/image for each season and for each service a given show is available on.

My only gripes with Fanhattan are that it needs a bit of a makeover for iPhone users (some of the UI stuff is way too small on a phone) and that it hasshould make you pick a season before showing you which service the show is available on. As it stands, it'll tell you what services offer any season so you could be led to believe the most recent season of Mad Men is available on Netflix (which its not but the previous ones are).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 15, 2013

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Thwomp posted:

I prefer Fanhattan but I did give How To Watch a whirl.

I hate how How to Watch has a different listing/image for each season and for each service a given show is available on.

My only gripes with Fanhattan are that it needs a bit of a makeover for iPhone users (some of the UI stuff is way too small on a phone) and that it has you pick a season before showing you which service the show is available on. As it stands, it'll tell you what services offer any season so you could be led to believe the most recent season of Mad Men is available on Netflix (which its not but the previous ones are).

I didn't know about this. Thanks. Imma check it out.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

choobs posted:

I used to use Beejive, but switched to IMO years ago. IMO works just as well, has a more attractive interface and is free. I highly recommend it.

Edit: FWIW, I haven't used Beejive in years, so it's possible they've improved the interface since then.

How long does imo keep you logged in for?

I have Beejive and have used it since shortly after I got a 3G, and it works great. I considered switching to imo around the time that Beejive was having some issues (around the time the 4 came out?), and was going to say that it has one of the worst chat interfaces I've ever seen, but wow, it sure looks like they've improved it a TON since those days.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I've got an iPod touch that isn't doing anything except collect dust so I figured I'd turn it into my alarm clock (I have a BOSE speaker dock that isn't getting any use either). I'd prefer to have it wake me up to Pandora or a radio station than a playlist or annoying alarm tone. Any suggestions on an app that can do this? If it leaves the screen on as a clock all the time as well, that would be fantastic. I don't mind if I have to jailbreak it either.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Time to try this Hangouts thing

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id643496868?mt=8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

I tested Plex at home because I was going to have to use it at work. I was able to stream three different videos to my TV, my iPhone and an iPad. It was pretty cool. You can even set it up so it allows you to stream from home to mobile devices when you're out in the world.

Out? In the world?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

Out? In the world?
How it works is you have a plex account online that connects to your home server. You can even share your server with other people (or get access to theirs)

I love plex. I have almost completely abandoned XBMC.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Uh, does this not work in landscape on the iPad...? Who on earth thought that was a good idea.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mewse posted:

Are there any apps that I can use to GPS track myself, with minimal impact on battery life? I have to log expenses for work and I keep forgetting where I travel all the time.
Don't know of any specific recommendations myself, but if you search for something like "expense tracker location" it should bring up some options. Found a few but I don't know if any are actually good, maybe search in Google for some actual reviews of stuff like that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I want to like this but I'm feeling very underwhelmed so far. It's very heavy handed and unnatural in a way that I can't necessarily articulate.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Ya kind of underwhelmed by hangouts. I didn't like that I needed to upgrade to google plus either. Was trying on iPhone with my friend and would get notifications but when I went into the app no new messages were there. I know it's the initial release, guess I will wait for some kinks to be ironed out.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫

mewse posted:

GPS track myself

How about Moves? It's a drain, but it doesn't murder my battery.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

serebralassazin posted:

Ya kind of underwhelmed by hangouts. I didn't like that I needed to upgrade to google plus either. Was trying on iPhone with my friend and would get notifications but when I went into the app no new messages were there. I know it's the initial release, guess I will wait for some kinks to be ironed out.

I am happy there is finally a native app for this, it's about time.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Yep I agree on that point. Used to wonder why google didn't push google talk on more platforms with native apps.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

How about Moves? It's a drain, but it doesn't murder my battery.

That might be the closest to what I'm looking for, thanks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there an app for Google Music, or do I have to use their crappy web app?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not yet, which is a deal breaker for me.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I bought gMusic and it's just the best drat thing. I don't think there's anything it doesn't have that Google could offer in their own app, other than theirs probably being free.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Unacknowledged posted:

I bought gMusic and it's just the best drat thing. I don't think there's anything it doesn't have that Google could offer in their own app, other than theirs probably being free.

Seconded. I don't use it a ton, but the few times that I did it has been rock solid.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Ooooh. They updated gMusic recently. Guess I'll give it a go. I've been using GoMusic for a while now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am happy there is finally a native app for this, it's about time.

From what I read about the keynote, they made it sound like they were jumping into the iMessage/WhatsApp space. This is not quite that. Google Talk does not exactly cover the same problem space as those (no delivery receipts etc)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Day of the Shirt

Are you a fan of those websites that offer a different cheap t-shirt every day? This app lets you see the daily lineup of shirts, without having to visit each site. Pretty nifty if you're into that sort of thing.

There used to be DailyTees, but that app looks to be non-working at the moment. This app's interface is much cleaner anyway, and, this app has more sites listed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Red posted:

Day of the Shirt

Are you a fan of those websites that offer a different cheap t-shirt every day? This app lets you see the daily lineup of shirts, without having to visit each site. Pretty nifty if you're into that sort of thing.

There used to be DailyTees, but that app looks to be non-working at the moment. This app's interface is much cleaner anyway, and, this app has more sites listed.

Thanks for this. I resorted to subscribing to every site's RSS feed, and that was a bit annoying. I was wondering if anyone was going to make this exact thing. Awesome.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Red posted:

Day of the Shirt

You're awesome I love you for this!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Are there any good voice-to-text dictation apps that work offline and are good for long-form writing? I write short stories in my free time and I wanted to try dictation to speed up the process or do it on the go. I would try Dragon Dictation, but I'm on vacation and have no phone or WiFi service.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

New video for my app TC-11!

https://vimeo.com/66472167

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

lord funk posted:

Well that's going on the "next time I have money" list. It's like having every noise from the Logan's Run soundtrack in one place!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

lord funk posted:

Very cool, nice work. If I had an iPad I'd buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lord funk posted:

That's fantastic. Link your app so we don't have to search and possibly have time to talk ourselves out of an impulse buy!

• Locked thread