Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Let me get this straight, is this a straight up retcon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I think it answers more of the question "HOW/WHY was she easily defeated" rather than completely resetting the story. She WAS defeated by King Fisher, but not because he overpowered her. The only retcon to me is Isshin's choice of wording it "it's not that I couldn't, it's that I didn't."

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
yeah, so about that Soul King? Like, are those dudes just Nihlistic as gently caress or have they just been totally oblivious for 9000 years? Scratch that. If Isshin knew about it, then Urahara knows, Genryuusai knew, all the other captains knew, Aizen knew, and Ryuuken knew when Ichigo was still a kid. What's point of letting the world's biggest threat just hang out in Quincy Space until they were ready to destroy your world?

This is stupid and I don't see how Ichigo is related to this, honestly.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Is the number 9 significant in anyway here that I don't understand? 900 years for a heartbeat, 90 to regain reason, and 9 to regain power. Does 999 mean anything?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lyon posted:

I'm guessing that Ichigo will be immune to that power because he is a super hybrid chosen one.

I think I may have started to forget how bad a writer Kubo typically is given the recent quality, because this didn't even occur to me till I read your post, but yea, that's probably exactly what'll happen. Guess now that Ichigo is caught up and okay with the world again, we can kiss that quality goodbye.

Batmasterson posted:

Is the number 9 significant in anyway here that I don't understand? 900 years for a heartbeat, 90 to regain reason, and 9 to regain power. Does 999 mean anything?

The only one I can think of is that 999 comes just before 1000, and this is the 1000th Year Blood War.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe it's related to nazis somehow? :iiam:

edit: ^or that :v:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

VJeff posted:

Yeah there's obviously sabotage afoot here, but we'll probably have to put up with an inordinately long time of Ishida pretending to be a bad guy and at least one Ichigo vs. Ishida fight (this might be the entire point!) before Ishida tries to shoot Juhabach in the back of the head as revenge for his mother, fails, and reunites with Ichigo for a chapter called THE UNITED FRONT [quincy brothers hate you mix] or whatever.

I like the cut of your jib. Somebody buy this man a pizza. I seriously hope this is the direction the whole thing goes from here on out. But the chapter names would have to be something stranger. This is Tite "Can't howl my inner Jesus" Kubo here.

Edit: PS, I have been super happy with how well Bleach is being written/been progressing lately. Glad I stuck with it all these years, and I really hope we get some sort of anime reboot a la FMA: Brotherhood or a mini-series or something for the final arc. Kenpachi v. Unohana :swoon:, the current business with Ichigo's backstory, Isshin and Maskai, etc have all been good stuff. Way to go, Kubo.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Batmasterson posted:

Flip them over :unsmigghh:

Bernardo Orel posted:

Maybe it's related to nazis somehow? :iiam:

edit: ^or that :v:

Thats more 18 and 88.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't think they could do anything about it. If I'm remembering the Quincy invasion correctly, the Quincies just appeared out of nowhere and then disappeared back into nowhere. At least, from the Shinigami's point of view. The shinigami not knowing diddly about Quincy space is a viable answer.

I wonder if Aizen is still the main villain, and YWACH is just his latest and greatest pawn in his quest to become god.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Batmasterson posted:

It means all of YHWACH's attacks hit the damage cap.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

yeah, so about that Soul King? Like, are those dudes just Nihlistic as gently caress or have they just been totally oblivious for 9000 years? Scratch that. If Isshin knew about it, then Urahara knows, Genryuusai knew, all the other captains knew, Aizen knew, and Ryuuken knew when Ichigo was still a kid. What's point of letting the world's biggest threat just hang out in Quincy Space until they were ready to destroy your world?

The way Isshin talked about it in the chapter made it sound like YWACH was something of a Quincy myth. So even the Quincies wouldn't think him real. YWACH's existence would only have been confirmed then with Masaki and Katagiri's deaths, and the 15ish years since then might not have been enough to find quincy space or w/e.

e: Wait no I forgot the SS fought the vandenreich before. Nvm, Kubo's just a lovely writer.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 15, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Sorry, have you met anyone from Soul Society? If there's a dumb or dickish way to do something, that's the way it shall be done. Quincy King in a mystic 1000 year slumber? gently caress it, poo poo'll work itself out. Or we could kill a bunch of Quincy then forget about it. Yeah lets do that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Did mangastream add little nurple lines for Masaki or is the first pair of titties in Bleach belonging to Ichigo's mom?

What? where?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I seriously hope that's not the real full truth of what happened, or that would be pretty anti-climatic. It still makes no sense that Grand Fisher was able to defeat Masaki, and then didn't bother eating her or Ichigo. At the very least someone would have had to chase him off.

Hopefully this is more mostly one-sided propaganda (Kubo did supposedly say that even Isshin didn't know the "real" truth, so either he changed his mind or there's still more to this story.)

Plus this fails to explain how or when White went from Masaki to Ichigo. White can't be a separate hollow from the one inside Masaki, because it wasn't until White manifested from Ichigo that the cord snapped and Isshin got his powers back.

sadface that Katagiri is dead :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This has got to be the biggest loving asspull Kubo has ever done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scyantific posted:

This has got to be the biggest loving asspull Kubo has ever done.

Really? It doesn't even strike me as an asspull at all (although it is a retcon). It's certainly not as bad as WHO SAID THE ESPADA WERE NUMBERED FROM 1 TO 10, HUH?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zogundar posted:

I seriously hope that's not the real full truth of what happened, or that would be pretty anti-climatic. It still makes no sense that Grand Fisher was able to defeat Masaki, and then didn't bother eating her or Ichigo. At the very least someone would have had to chase him off.

Hopefully this is more mostly one-sided propaganda (Kubo did supposedly say that even Isshin didn't know the "real" truth, so either he changed his mind or there's still more to this story.)

Plus this fails to explain how or when White went from Masaki to Ichigo. White can't be a separate hollow from the one inside Masaki, because it wasn't until White manifested from Ichigo that the cord snapped and Isshin got his powers back.

sadface that Katagiri is dead :(

Masaki sacrifices herself against Bach to stop him from sucking up half quincy Ichigo's power and force him into a coma similar to Katagiri?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Silver2195 posted:

Really? It doesn't even strike me as an asspull at all (although it is a retcon). It's certainly not as bad as WHO SAID THE ESPADA WERE NUMBERED FROM 1 TO 10, HUH?

That was the most hardcore plot twist and loving awesome. Don't even know what you're on about

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

Masaki sacrifices herself against Bach to stop him from sucking up half quincy Ichigo's power and force him into a coma similar to Katagiri?

Man I can't wait for one of the climactic fights of the entire series to end with Ichigo beating on a comatose old man. What a hero that boy is. Fight of the loving century!

Edit: I realize now, seconds later that I read that post completely wrong and you were talking about just after she died, not during the inevitable fight to come. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat. Still, I doubt that's the case since as someone else pointed out Bach never bothered touching Ishida, so there's no reason to assume he'd touch Ichigo, and even if Masaki never knew that it'd be kind of pointless since Bach was already on the outs for several years because of the whole 9 years for reason thing, so adding another coma reason is redundant.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 15, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guilty posted:

That was the most hardcore plot twist and loving awesome. Don't even know what you're on about

It was stupid because Shawlong did, in fact, state that the Espada were numbered from 1 to 10, Ulquiorra said that there were 3 Espadas above him, Ulquiorra bossed Yammy around, etc. Yammy apparently did a very good job of hiding his true rank for such a stupid person.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
The most important thing about all this Quincy nonsense is WE SHOULD be getting an ample dose of .

Mayuri claims he vivisected 2,661 of them, but that doesn't mean poo poo with Kubo. We'll probably end up getting shafted there. I want this so much, Zaraki and Mayuri wrecking poo poo co-op style.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tsob posted:

Man I can't wait for one of the climactic fights of the entire series to end with Ichigo beating on a comatose old man. What a hero that boy is. Fight of the loving century!

Edit: I realize now, seconds later that I read that post completely wrong and you were talking about just after she died, not during the inevitable fight to come. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat. Still, I doubt that's the case since as someone else pointed out Bach never bothered touching Ishida, so there's no reason to assume he'd touch Ichigo, and even if Masaki never knew that it'd be kind of pointless since Bach was already on the outs for several years because of the whole 9 years for reason thing, so adding another coma reason is redundant.

Ishida is at least 3/4ths Quincy so maybe he made an exception?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

Ishida is at least 3/4ths Quincy so maybe he made an exception?

I can totally get behind the idea of Masaki sacrificing herself to save Ichigo against Bach, I just don't see the whole coma thing since the guy was already out of action for 9 years due to Plot, so it makes her sacrifice pointless. More likely if she did something that day it'd be like in Harry Potter with her sacrifice magically rendering Bach unable to touch Ichigo so Bach hosed off to go do other stuff instead.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 15, 2013

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

It was stupid because Shawlong did, in fact, state that the Espada were numbered from 1 to 10, Ulquiorra said that there were 3 Espadas above him, Ulquiorra bossed Yammy around, etc. Yammy apparently did a very good job of hiding his true rank for such a stupid person.

I like to think that Yammy really was just number 10 all along and Aizen was just trolling him by making everyone see '0' instead of '10' whenever Yammy released his power.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tsob posted:

I can totally get behind the idea of Masaki sacrificing herself to save Ichigo against Bach, I just don't see the whole coma thing since the guy was already out of action for 9 years due to Plot, so it makes her sacrifice pointless. More likely if she did something that day it'd be like in Harry Potter with her sacrifice magically rendering Bach unable to touch Ichigo so Bach hosed off to go do other stuff instead.

I meant that Masaki stopped Bach from absorbing Ichigo's latent power and putting Ichigo into a coma and eventually causing him to die similar to Katagiri

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Kild posted:

I meant that Masaki stopped Bach from absorbing Ichigo's latent power and putting Ichigo into a coma and eventually causing him to die similar to Katagiri

I think it's implied that Katagiri was using Blut to keep her illness (non-ghost tuberculosis?) at bay, and once Jurhgahgublach turned on his power vacuum it was basically the end for her.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
YWACH might have a chair that rivals Aizen:

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

That one hell of a chair, it even has bowling pins at the bottom

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My first thought is that he just put his chair on the matching table - the man clearly doesn't understand furniture.

Or maybe chairtables are the wave of the future, and he's just a visionary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Wittgen posted:

I don't think they could do anything about it. If I'm remembering the Quincy invasion correctly, the Quincies just appeared out of nowhere and then disappeared back into nowhere. At least, from the Shinigami's point of view. The shinigami not knowing diddly about Quincy space is a viable answer.

I wonder if Aizen is still the main villain, and YWACH is just his latest and greatest pawn in his quest to become god.

It is possible that Isshin only knows from comparing notes with Urahara and Ryuken and the rest of the Shinigami don't know jack poo poo about Juhabach coming back.

On the other hand, Mayuri did rather pointedly say at the start of the arc to Yamamoto that "THIS IS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T KILL THAT JAGOFF ALL THOSE YEARS AGO", almost definitely referring to Juhabach. It's hard to say how much Mayuri and Yamamoto knew about the situation though.

loving magnificent. :staredog:

By the way, it's worth noting, that Juhabach might be able to revive all the Quincies whose powers he jacked with Yamamoto's bankai. So. Y'know. Get ready to watch Ishida and Ichigo forced to fight ash zombie versions of their moms at some point!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Mangastream was all over the place is this guys name YHWACH, Juhabach or Juhabach YHWACH or what?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

GodFish posted:

Mangastream was all over the place is this guys name YHWACH, Juhabach or Juhabach YHWACH or what?

It's all pronounced the same anyway.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

swmmrmanshen posted:

Let me get this straight, is this a straight up retcon?

You're just realizing this?

The entire series post-aizen has just been Kubo throwing ideas at the wall.

This is essentially Bleach's "Space Aliens invade and attack the heroes" arc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:staredog: drat... Uryuu lookin' fly as gently caress pimpin' in those new threads! :whatup:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GodFish posted:

The German pronounciation for the letter 'J' (which itself is pronounced "yohtt" in English) is basically pronounced like the letter 'Y' in English.

So "Juha" would be pronounced "Yuha", "Bach" would be pronounced like it sounds but with one of those spitty-sounding rolled "ch" sounds like in "Channukah" at the end (my dad is big into classical music and pretty much drilled that poo poo into my head with "J. S. Bach" when I was a kid), and if you take out the first 'u' in "Juhabach", assuming it's one of those silent Japanese consonant separator letters, you end up with something like "Yhabach" or "Yhavach" (NOTE that 'W' is pronounced like 'V' in German) as your final English pronunciation.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 16, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I guess the real question is why is mangastream spelling it two different ways in the same chapter.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Syrant posted:

The most important thing about all this Quincy nonsense is WE SHOULD be getting an ample dose of .

Mayuri claims he vivisected 2,661 of them, but that doesn't mean poo poo with Kubo. We'll probably end up getting shafted there. I want this so much, Zaraki and Mayuri wrecking poo poo co-op style.

Didn't Kubo once say that Mayuri is his favorite character to draw or something like that?

Also, yes we should totally get us some more Mayuri up in this bitch.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "TOO MUCH MAYURI"!! EVER!!!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

:staredog: drat... Uryuu lookin' fly as gently caress pimpin' in those new threads! :whatup:

The Quincy formerly known as the Prince of Light.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Re: Juha/Yhwacky's name

Maybe another question that needs to be asked is, is the Japanese pronounciation (Meaning what you get with "ユーハバッハ"/"Yuuhabahha") absolutely correct, or are they mangling another, more correcterer foreign pronunciation that we could be using?

example:
Japanese kana/pronunciation for a character is ルーク(Ruuku.) But the name is Luke; therefore the correct spelling to use in foreign markets is Luke, not Ruuku. And the correct pronunciation is actually "Luu-kh," not "Ruu-ku" despite what the Japanese kana say.

Personally I thought Juha Bach seemed like a decent approximation, the one problem with that being that it's apparently all one name instead of two names. Still seems better than Ywhach. I don't speak German or whatever, but I really can't see the single 'y' lending the necessary stretched "Yuu" sound that's implied by the Japanese kana, to say nothing of the rest of the name. So the alternative then is that the Japanese are pronouncing it "wrong."

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

VJeff posted:

loving magnificent. :staredog:

I believe Vicissitude made that at my request a few years ago, credit where credit is due.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Didn't Kubo once say that Mayuri is his favorite character to draw or something like that?

It was 'favorite' or 'most fun' to draw. I know he really likes Zaraki, for sure.

• Locked thread