Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Did we have a post your favourite factory colour thread? That would be good imo (Paint everything mexico blue.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm not even a huge fan of green but I would love to have my car painted in a color called Sassy-Grass Green

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

G-Mach posted:

I want more 60/70s MOPAR car colors on current cars.

I think the world would be a better place.

That all comes from back in the day where you custom ordered your car and waited a few weeks for it to be built and delivered. Interesting colors are a casualty of the development of huge dealer lots with weeks and months of inventory, which also hosed around considerably with the factory-dealer payment schemes, credit practices etc. I think in the longer run custom ordering is going to come back, so hopefully it'll bring cool colors back too.

It was pretty stark driving around in Korea and 99% of cars are white, black, silver, but it's not much better here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I hate bland, earthy-colored cars not just because they're boring, they're less noticeable when you are checking your blind spots. Little econoboxes shouldn't be the same color as the road :argh: (they should also stay out of people's blind spots but one of these can be fixed at the factory)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

That all comes from back in the day where you custom ordered your car and waited a few weeks for it to be built and delivered. Interesting colors are a casualty of the development of huge dealer lots with weeks and months of inventory, which also hosed around considerably with the factory-dealer payment schemes, credit practices etc. I think in the longer run custom ordering is going to come back, so hopefully it'll bring cool colors back too.

It was pretty stark driving around in Korea and 99% of cars are white, black, silver, but it's not much better here.

I thought I remembered someone posting hereabouts that there are regulations or some kind of impetus to use paints that use less water, or some variety of no-longer-kosher additive, and that's the other reason for paint colours being severely curtailed and kind of bland.

Anyway, the Dodge Dart has one of the biggest paint selections I've seen in a long time outside of builders who are like "you're paying us enough already, we can paint it chartreuse if you'd bloody like".

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Lead based paint maybe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phy posted:

I thought I remembered someone posting hereabouts that there are regulations or some kind of impetus to use paints that use less water,

Not less water....water based as opposed to urethane base. Ever notice how most 90s-2000s cars have factory orange peel? Yep, that's it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Every new car I see still has orange peel. It look like rear end :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Every new car I see still has orange peel. It look like rear end :(

True. It does seem that they've gotten somewhat better at it since the late 90's early 2000s (when it went really mainstream) so it's not quite as bad. It still hurts to look at, but most people just don't know or notice the difference.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:downsbravo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

what seems to be the problem here?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linedance posted:

what seems to be the problem here?

One of them is possibly violating a directional parking law.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm guessing it is the Micra (that is a Micra, right?) based on where the drivers' seat is. Unless it's a one way road, in which case who knows?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rhyno posted:

A who's his whatsit? I think it's that the Miata driver has gone out of their way to leave as much room as possible, which has been filled by one tiny badly-parked Micra.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jammyozzy posted:

A who's his whatsit? I think it's that the Miata driver has gone out of their way to leave as much room as possible, which has been filled by one tiny badly-parked Micra.

If you park opposing other traffic here in Indiana you can be ticketed for it. I have been in the past.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm guessing it is the Micra (that is a Micra, right?) based on where the drivers' seat is. Unless it's a one way road, in which case who knows?

Nope, that would be me in the Miata, duh :) I did get a warning for this once before, but generally nobody cares because the other option is to drive around two blocks to turn around and also gently caress reversing up a hill while parallel parking (the horror is coming from inside the thread, etc).

As jammyozzy, I thought that was rather lovely that the tiny Micra is parked in such a way that anything larger than a miata would be difficult if not impossible to park there, and that's the same spot I parked this

next to this

before without exchanging any paint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To be fair, maybe the Micra owner parked after some other cars arrived, and the other cars left before you arrived, thus making the Micra owner look like a douche.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

To be fair, maybe the Micra owner parked after some other cars arrived, and the other cars left before you arrived, thus making the Micra owner look like a douche.

Behind the Micra looks barely enough space for another Micra to sit there, let alone parallel park into it. Seems like that space was probably designed for just two cars to begin with, unless there was a motorcycle/scooter in it before.

I had a terrible car question and in retrospect I'm sorry I didn't get a crappy dark cell phone photo, but last night when I got back to the Rockville, MD metro stop a red Nissan Silvia with the Vanity plate SILVIA was parked next to me, but it was left hand drive and dropped to the point of being essentially useless with all the speed bumps and construction around here. My question is were those ever sold with left hand drive because I thought they were just Japan and Australia, or can you import it and convert it from right hand drive, or could it in fact have been a terrible car (ride height aside) and really some 240sx that someone put a Silvia body kit on? Is that a thing?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It's a thing I wish to do to an S13 coupe someday [the Silvia body thing]. :ohdear: But mine will be a respectable ride height and painted nicely, no stickerbombing or shockers here.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

G-Mach posted:

I want more 60/70s MOPAR car colors on current cars.

I think the world would be a better place.

Plum Crazy was almost called "Statutory Grape"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a myth

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hate when that happens to me. I always want to leave a little note of the side of my car saying, "I'm not a gigantic douche, honest! There was another car here forcing me to park like this."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Code Jockey posted:

I'm not even a huge fan of green but I would love to have my car painted in a color called Sassy-Grass Green

It's a nice colour but the name really sold it to me.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Now I kind of want to get my car painted Sublime.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Polymerized Cum posted:

Pink Panther was almost called Rooster Dink Pink.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

York, PA. Always classy.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Sno-White was almost called White Power. :tinfoil:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phy posted:

I thought I remembered someone posting hereabouts that there are regulations or some kind of impetus to use paints that use less water, or some variety of no-longer-kosher additive, and that's the other reason for paint colours being severely curtailed and kind of bland.

Anyway, the Dodge Dart has one of the biggest paint selections I've seen in a long time outside of builders who are like "you're paying us enough already, we can paint it chartreuse if you'd bloody like".

It is primarily the expectation that the paint actually maintain color for a long time and not get chipped to hell and back by gravel and such. This lead to clear coating, which then lead to metallic paints in order to try and accentuate the more gradual curves of more aerodynamic cars. Metallic paint diffuses color with the reflections from the small flakes so it looks best with neutral hues resulting in white, silver, and black. Here's a quick slate article about it, and they also think that people going bland for resale value may have something to do with it.

I'd love to see pastels come back.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

they also think that people going bland for resale value

Cars are not investments and you get the best value driving them to death after paying them off. This poo poo thinking is there to keep people feeding the financiers' with loans.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is there any truth to the rumor that red/yellow/brightly-colored cars are more expensive to insure?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiaqkRdc8B8

Nagano Koubou's USDM style S13 Silvia!

It's like taking everything bad about zilvia and making it even more retarded. THANKS A LOT OBAMA.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Previa_fun posted:

Is there any truth to the rumor that red/yellow/brightly-colored cars are more expensive to insure?

They're more likely to be ticketed for a given infraction. On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain my insurer doesn't know what color my car is (i.e. they never asked).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rhyno posted:

If that picture is from the UK then there's no such thing. I was baffled to discover these laws when I moved to the US, it seems ridiculous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drgitlin posted:

If that picture is from the UK then there's no such thing. I was baffled to discover these laws when I moved to the US, it seems ridiculous.

Not when your goal is revenue generation by inexpensive non-accredited uniformed police personnel (i.e. meter maids). Most cities and small tourist towns make a significant amount of money on parking revenue, including fines. Many small tourist towns make nearly half their police budget on that revenue alone (I know that's the case in my town as well as several surrounding similar towns).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sometimes Parking Wars is on and I watch it to reinforce my stereotype of different car owners. It is always fun to watch someone have a four-alarm meltdown on a meter maid who tickets them for an egregious offense (parking on top of a handicap ramp, blocking a fire hydrant) and then inevitably seeing them return to a Jetta.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Drove past this standard hunk of 90s rear end and just figured "Beater". Then I noticed the vtec emblem on the front fender.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Safety Dance posted:

They're more likely to be ticketed for a given infraction. On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain my insurer doesn't know what color my car is (i.e. they never asked).

Isn't the paint code somewhere in the VIN? They have the VIN so they may use that and just not say.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

drgitlin posted:

The front of vehicles don't have poo poo for reflectors on them, at least in US market trim; the idea is that you are more likely to see the rear end better on your side of the road with the legally mandated rear reflectors than the front with significantly fewer mandated reflectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

If that picture is from the UK then there's no such thing.
There is, but it applies to parking the roadside, not in a marked parking bay.

Contruction & Use posted:

no person shall, except with the except with the permission of a police officer in a uniform, cause or permit any motor vehicle to stand on a road at any time between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise unless the near side of the vehicle is as close as may be to the edge of the carriageway.
It's one of those things that almost never gets applied, i.e. it's in the big book of Someone's Being A Twat And You're drat Well Going To Find Something To Nick Them For.