Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gyshall posted:

The new Google Music app is pretty good, I think I'm going to give it a whirl over PowerAmp again.

The all access stuff is pretty neat too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Athenry posted:

The all access stuff is pretty neat too

Agreed, I was on the fence about getting a spotify sub but I signed up the trial without hesitating.

I just wish they could incorporate Podcasts so I could get rid of pocket casts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the UK but I originally activated Google Music via a US server at work, before it launched here. Now it's offering me the subscription. I wonder if it'll work out side of the US.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Is there an android app that allows group messaging using only phone numbers? A lot of my friends use iPhones and I don't want to try and get everyone to download some app solely for group messages.

I use a messaging app by powwow now and it's great, really great, but it doesn't allow for Group MMS messaging.

GroupMe does this and works pretty well.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Hangouts isnt available on my Nexus 7 :wtc:.

e: so it Messenger obsolete as well?

KoB fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 15, 2013

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Tunga posted:

I'm in the UK but I originally activated Google Music via a US server at work, before it launched here. Now it's offering me the subscription. I wonder if it'll work out side of the US.

I'm in a similar position and it looks like it just takes you a Play Store link which isn't accessible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

KoB posted:

Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts, Google+ Messenger, and Gmail Chat are all obsolete now as it all merges into Google Hangouts (yeah, a bit confusing but whatever).

Basically, it's merged all four of those into one unified messenger.

Voice, SMS, and MMS are still separate...for now. No one knows if they will merge too the future.

EDIT: I never use Google+ Messenger...looks like it's still actually there.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 15, 2013

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

You can sideload it, fwiw.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
It says Hangouts replaces Talk, but when I access it on the play store, it says its already installed. I still just have Talk. Anyone else have that issue?

Rooted GNex (not on a stock rom) if it makes a difference.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Voice being not included in Hangouts makes me fear it's next on the chopping block (RIP Reader)... :ohdear:

edit: They finally fixed the scrubber in Play Music!!

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 15, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rye Bread posted:

It says Hangouts replaces Talk, but when I access it on the play store, it says its already installed. I still just have Talk. Anyone else have that issue?

Rooted GNex (not on a stock rom) if it makes a difference.

This happened to me. Push installing it via a browser worked though.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This happened to me. Push installing it via a browser worked though.

When I went to the site, it just says "Installed" for my Gnex, unavailable for my Galaxy tab. No other options.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rye Bread posted:

When I went to the site, it just says "Installed" for my Gnex, unavailable for my Galaxy tab. No other options.
Pushing through the browser was the only way it would work for my wife. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to tell you to try.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

KoB posted:

I'm guessing they haven't finished the tablet interface yet. It's not available for my 7 or 10.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Pushing through the browser was the only way it would work for my wife. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to tell you to try.

It's not like you can even uninstall/reinstall it either..

Sigh, it's always something with this phone.

Edit: Just saw on the Hangouts help group that a few others are having this issue too.

Rye Bread fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 15, 2013

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing they haven't finished the tablet interface yet. It's not available for my 7 or 10.

If you look at the screenshots the first one looks like a tablet interface.

EDIT: It's even funnier because they made such a huge deal about developers having tablet optimized apps.

VVVV I understand it might not be finished, but maybe Google should be curating Play presence a little better. I'd expect something like that from some random developer doing Android apps as a side project but from the mothership?

gariig fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 15, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

gariig posted:

If you look at the screenshots the first one looks like a tablet interface.
That sure is a picture of a tablet interface. Doesn't mean they have it finished yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sideloaded it onto my N7 and I just get a giant version of the phone UI right now. That may actually be intended though since the N7 doesn't always get full tablet UIs.

I'm sure glad they have released their universal messaging client while it isn't universal because they didn't finish it yet. Luckily Google have a strong history of going back and finishing things after releasing them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

gariig posted:

I understand it might not be finished, but maybe Google should be curating Play presence a little better. I'd expect something like that from some random developer doing Android apps as a side project but from the mothership?
You must be new around here.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Apparently Hangouts isn't compatible with my Sprint HTC PG86100. Is it normal for apps to sometimes not show up as compatible when you've tweaked your device DPI?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts, Google+ Messenger, and Gmail Chat

Gmail chat was never a seperate thing, just like on Google+ it simply showed an optional ui for Talk.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
The new Hangouts apk: http://d-h.st/TzS

I was able to sideload it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is hangouts crippled in any way if you don't have a g+ page? I don't want one don't want my kids (iOS users) to have one but want to try this on all of our devices.

Edit unrelated: seeing my GPS notification come up at odd times, I have loc history and latitude disabled. Is there an app can show what's been accessing GPS?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 16, 2013

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

KoB posted:

Google messed up the permissions:

They're probably putting it through another QA-pass before pushing the fix.

Penguissimo posted:

Voice being not included in Hangouts makes me fear it's next on the chopping block (RIP Reader)... :ohdear:

The Verges write up says they're working on integrating Voice:

quote:

Finally, Google Voice, a product that could have been revolutionary but has instead languished, has been pulled into the Hangouts team with the promise of future integration. Singhal says that "this is the future for Google Voice," but offers no timeline for the integration of the the two products.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4318830/inside-hangouts-googles-big-fix-for-its-messaging-mess

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like circles, but I don't like how they're pushing them into Talk (Hangouts). I don't think I've chatted via IM with any of the thousands of people in my circles ever, but now I've got to manage them along side my real contacts. :(

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Side benefit to the Google Music "all access" plan (which I promptly signed up for).

My unicorn Nexus Q finally has a purpose!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

hotsauce posted:

Side benefit to the Google Music "all access" plan (which I promptly signed up for).

I also very quickly signed up for it. I don't have my GS4 yet, and I'm curious, does the app let you actually let you download the playlists for local use? That's a big thing for me and why I went with Spotify.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Oh, huh, that didn't even occur to me. I put Cyanogen on mine and then had it sitting in a drawer, I should set it back up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Music looks nice enough now, though I have no idea where it's getting the banner images from, because I sure as hell don't have any BFME2 music:

Also I tried to get the All Access trial and it came up with a Play error saying it couldn't find the requested item.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

I also very quickly signed up for it. I don't have my GS4 yet, and I'm curious, does the app let you actually let you download the playlists for local use? That's a big thing for me and why I went with Spotify.

Yep. Just pinned an album I found via all access.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yep. Just pinned an album I found via all access.

Well holy poo poo. This feature alone is worth $8/mo.

Nice find!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kirbysuperstar posted:

Music looks nice enough now, though I have no idea where it's getting the banner images from, because I sure as hell don't have any BFME2 music:

Haha yeah I'm getting this too. I'm mainly listen to metal and it put a cover of some classical music album as the art for some post-hardcore Canadian band :psyduck:

Google will literally never get their music player right.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Thermopyle posted:

I like circles, but I don't like how they're pushing them into Talk (Hangouts). I don't think I've chatted via IM with any of the thousands of people in my circles ever, but now I've got to manage them along side my real contacts. :(

I'd really like to filter by circle at least. Hopefully if enough people moan about it through the suggestions feature then Google will add it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I tried out Google Books since you can upload books to it now. Within the app it just lists all of my books, there doesn't appear to be any sorting/filtering to them. If I go to the My Library section of google it shows there are categories that you can place everything in but it looks like its only for books purchased off of Play. There doesn't seem to be any filtering methods within the app or even for uploaded books. I thought there'd be plenty of sorting methods, like tagging books as finished, sort by author or even keep series together. Am I missing something?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wait does this mean I'm gonna have to get a Google+ account again? I literally just deleted that drat thing a few weeks ago.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
It must be divine intervention that i happened to cancel my spotify subscription 2 weeks ago because they wouldn't let me log in without a drat facebook account and make me make a new one. Seeing as how google does everything spotify did and cheaper, I guess I won't be going back.

Only problem I have now is the constant force closes on my phone, but I expect that to be fixed soon since I'm hardly the only person with that problem.

still never gonna use google+

editL holy poo poo books will let you use a dark theme for uploaded pdfs. Somehow kindle is unable to master this.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

DemonMage posted:

Turn off the page turn animation in Aldiko and there's no page turning lag.

The interface is still laggy, but no matter - the updated Play Books app can now import epubs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Oh, wait, no, it doesn't have a purpose after all.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/15/psa-new-play-music-app-silently-severs-support-for-nexus-q-streaming/

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Voice, SMS, and MMS are still separate...for now. No one knows if they will merge too the future.

Why does Hangouts need to validate my phone number if they won't merge these in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Cruseydr posted:

Is it normal for apps to sometimes not show up as compatible when you've tweaked your device DPI?
The answer to this question is yes. I had to reset my DPI back, clear data and cache for the Play Store app and then reboot. Now I can install, yay!

• Locked thread