Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

You got the wrong color :whatup:

silver looks good too

TRD Intake update Day +7: ECU has finally decided to quit being a bitch and throttle input is amazing. You can hear the "fwump" of the intake gulping down air when you go from idle to WOT if you know what to listen for. Gas milage hasn't suffered that much, I think the main culprit of reduced mpg is the added ease of revving the engine, yet if you granny it you can still get decent mpg numbers.

My final verdict is that it's only worth the money if you want to clean up the front of your engine bay, a drop in filter will get you 90% of the performance benefits. Though, if you are going to go with an aftermarket intake I'd put this one at the top of your list just because I think it looks the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

firehawk posted:

YEEAA RIMZZZ!! No, wait.. gently caress. How am I going to get them all to the tyre shop?

No problem, it seems:

Final result:

And see, an infant can't be much larger than one of those boxes. Therefore, the 86 platform is family friendly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No, no, in this metaphor the infant is the wheel and the car seat is the box and packing material.

So yeah the car will clearly hold 4 babies and 4 tires' worth of significant other. Or two babies and a fat chick if you don't have a protective wizard mural airbrushed on the hood, I guess.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
I've owned the car for 6 days and i fall in love with it a little more each day. MAN they made a fun fun car to drive, it will do whatever you want it to do in the corners its so, nimble, so ready to do whatever you want it to do.

I'm trying to figure out how i want to modify the car now but i'm afraid of throwing off the balance of what i think is an amazingly balanced car.(Coming from a Mustang GT, Scion TC, Tacoma x-runner)I am definitely going to go with the TRD intake, seems like every one is really happy with that one. Its been so long since I've modded a car, are Tein springs still awesome springs or is there another brand people prefer to use on these cars? I've looked all over the ft86 boards but i am just not a fan of that layout/its really hard to find what i want to on there.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Unless you really want to lower the car I wouldn't bother changing the suspension.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

I've owned the car for 6 days and i fall in love with it a little more each day. MAN they made a fun fun car to drive, it will do whatever you want it to do in the corners its so, nimble, so ready to do whatever you want it to do.

I'm trying to figure out how i want to modify the car now but i'm afraid of throwing off the balance of what i think is an amazingly balanced car.(Coming from a Mustang GT, Scion TC, Tacoma x-runner)I am definitely going to go with the TRD intake, seems like every one is really happy with that one. Its been so long since I've modded a car, are Tein springs still awesome springs or is there another brand people prefer to use on these cars? I've looked all over the ft86 boards but i am just not a fan of that layout/its really hard to find what i want to on there.

I know this is going to get me laughed at, but humor me for a second. How does it compare to the TC?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I know this is going to get me laughed at, but humor me for a second. How does it compare to the TC?

I had a TC with all the TRD goodies (short throw, intake and exhaust). It had a bit more pep off the line and more TQ down low but i haven't really launched the FR-S yet. Obviously the FRS just out handles the poo poo out of the car so there is no comparison there. I Loved the TC but i LOVE LOVE LOVE this car so much more. It has a soul to it that the TC did not.

The Shifter in this car is WAY WAY better than the (trd)shifter in the TC. The throws in the FRS are shorter and feel so much more fluid than they were with the TC.

Not really sure what else to compare, honestly the FRS is so much better in every way.

The only thing better about the TC is the center console/arm rest area. I am not a fan of this little tray/cup holder thing the FRS has.

PS. I went through this whole thread last night and saw the picture of you and your wife standing next to the FRS... GOD drat you are tall, i am surprised you fit so comfortably. I feel like these seat bolsters are going to crack my ribs at times.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Apparently you didn't have all of the goodies because you didn't have the $4000 TRD Supercharger. :smugdog:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

PS. I went through this whole thread last night and saw the picture of you and your wife standing next to the FRS... GOD drat you are tall, i am surprised you fit so comfortably. I feel like these seat bolsters are going to crack my ribs at times.

Thanks for the comparison. I think I'll miss the center console and the cargo space of the TC. Not sure if the commend about being tall, but that wasn't me. I vaguely remember commenting about that picture, though. The reason I do think have an FRS yet is because I am getting a wife instead. And she keeps rubbing it in my face, commenting about how good the FRS / BRZ looks every time we see one!

To me it sounds like the FRS is everything I like about my TC, but done much better.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Today I picked up the white manual FR-S I'd ordered. I really really like it.

Outside of the test drive, I haven't driven a stick in about 10 years. So far I've almost stalled it twice, each time thinking I'd put it in first when it was actually in third. Does anyone else have a tendency of doing this or am I just an idiot?

Briefly tried playing BT audio from my phone (with the base radio) and what played was a continuous loop of some android notification sound. I doubt this is an issue with the car, since the audio itself apparently streams just fine.

I'm probably going to look into adding sound dampening, especially around the rear, it was pretty loud on some parts of the highway. I'm probably going to plug that engine noise tube as well. Should be a pretty fun DIY project.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Getting the right gear is easy once you simply program your brain and/or muscle memory to recognize that letting go of the stick entirely will centre you to 3rd/4th gear. From there, push left, then up. And you're not racing, switch your gears with calm and only the necessary force, and you'll reduce your incorrect switches until muscle memory kicks in. All else fails, park the car, shut off the engine, put on the parking brake, hold the clutch in, and find every gear repeatedly until you stop making mistakes. :)

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for the comparison. I think I'll miss the center console and the cargo space of the TC. Not sure if the commend about being tall, but that wasn't me. I vaguely remember commenting about that picture, though. The reason I do think have an FRS yet is because I am getting a wife instead. And she keeps rubbing it in my face, commenting about how good the FRS / BRZ looks every time we see one!

To me it sounds like the FRS is everything I like about my TC, but done much better.

I am an idiot i saw splizwarfs posts a few ahead of yours and for some reason instantly thought of how massive that dude was and how he fit in the car haha.

I got this car to get over my ex-wife. Best decision ever! If you have a TC now you will miss the cargo space but every time you start the car/take a quick turn,down shift or hell just drive it you will immediately forget about the TC.

If you love the TC i have no doubt you will love this more! Longshot, but if you live in or around KC, MO and want to test drive it without dealing with a dealer feel free to hit me up.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Outside of the test drive, I haven't driven a stick in about 10 years. So far I've almost stalled it twice, each time thinking I'd put it in first when it was actually in third. Does anyone else have a tendency of doing this or am I just an idiot?

I don't have that issue, but maybe the TRD shifter in the TC trained my muscle memory. Its been 10 years though man, you will have it down in no time. My biggest issue is thinking i'm in 4th at 70 on the highway when i'm really in 6th. Getting use to the power curve/gearing is definitely taking some work.

Found out this thing had a shift light the other night, let out a shout of pure joy when i saw that.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 16, 2013

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

bonzaisushi posted:

Found out this thing had a shift light the other night, let out a shout of pure joy when i saw that.

Wait, where?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Right below the 6 on the tach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9dcC9dl3w&t=28s

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I could have had my hands on a white FRS late february (like i ordered it, it got to the lot, then the same day it got there i decided to order a BRZ thinking it would take 3 months SILLY ME). I need to stop reading this thread... makes me regret not just getting the drat thing right then and there. Would have saved a nice chunk of change tooo. :smith:

When/if i ever get the BRZ and im an elitist prick about subaru over scion its just probably the long lasting bitter taste of waiting so long for a car thats realistically 99% the same car. Hell, when i inevitably swap out suspension it will be even MORE similar.

Exhaust is going to be the first upgrade though.. magnaflow is so cheap at performance peddlers, should I be looking at anything as a worthy upgrade? Based off of youtube clips i cant see much of a reason to grab the $1000+ exhausts. TRD exhaust is tempting, i have no idea how much ebay sellers want for it though.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 16, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LiquidRain posted:

Getting the right gear is easy once you simply program your brain and/or muscle memory to recognize that letting go of the stick entirely will centre you to 3rd/4th gear. From there, push left, then up. And you're not racing, switch your gears with calm and only the necessary force, and you'll reduce your incorrect switches until muscle memory kicks in. All else fails, park the car, shut off the engine, put on the parking brake, hold the clutch in, and find every gear repeatedly until you stop making mistakes. :)

I don't know why I do it, but its like a tick, when I'm sitting at a light I shift into first over and over again probably 2 or 3 times, and again right before the light turns, I feel like I have mental issues.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

I could have had my hands on a white FRS late february (like i ordered it, it got to the lot, then the same day it got there i decided to order a BRZ thinking it would take 3 months SILLY ME). I need to stop reading this thread... makes me regret not just getting the drat thing right then and there. Would have saved a nice chunk of change tooo. :smith:

When/if i ever get the BRZ and im an elitist prick about subaru over scion its just probably the long lasting bitter taste of waiting so long for a car thats realistically 99% the same car. Hell, when i inevitably swap out suspension it will be even MORE similar.

Exhaust is going to be the first upgrade though.. magnaflow is so cheap at performance peddlers, should I be looking at anything as a worthy upgrade? Based off of youtube clips i cant see much of a reason to grab the $1000+ exhausts. TRD exhaust is tempting, i have no idea how much ebay sellers want for it though.

Get the scion and swap badges, its easy to do. Hell all the body panels in the car already say Subaru on them haha. I know i plan on swapping the scion badges out with the Toyota 86 ones.

And that TRD exhaust is nice, love the sound it makes. I've always been a big trd fan, they release solid products. Im going with the TRD intake because i have heard that its the best intake out there when it comes to retaining your TQ down low. I just feel like this car is tuned so perfectly from the factory that anything i do will greatly affect how the car performs so i'm nervous to touch the fucker.

I haven't really heard anyone talk about mods on here that much, would love to hear some thoughts on the intakes/exhaust out there. I cant stand the ft86 board, there so much pointless babble to wade through.

D C posted:

I don't know why I do it, but its like a tick, when I'm sitting at a light I shift into first over and over again probably 2 or 3 times, and again right before the light turns, I feel like I have mental issues.

If you have mental issues then you are not alone, i do that same poo poo!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Mine didn't come with this on by default and I thank you.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Mine didn't come with this on by default and I thank you.

There is also a way to set what rpm it dings at but I haven't had the patience to figure that out yet. That shift light Awesome though!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

bonzaisushi posted:

And that TRD exhaust is nice, love the sound it makes. I've always been a big trd fan, they release solid products. Im going with the TRD intake because i have heard that its the best intake out there when it comes to retaining your TQ down low. I just feel like this car is tuned so perfectly from the factory that anything i do will greatly affect how the car performs so i'm nervous to touch the fucker.

I haven't really heard anyone talk about mods on here that much, would love to hear some thoughts on the intakes/exhaust out there. I cant stand the ft86 board, there so much pointless babble to wade through.

The FT86club's technical topics are decent, but their general discussion is just a bunch of idiots Tokyo Drifting their cars into trees. I don't know where you're located but the Houston86club has some quality people who put together decent DIYs. They've kind of abandoned the forums but are very active on Facebook.

I don't know about torque down low but CAIs focus mainly on top end torque. However they're also mostly pointless as you'll get the same (if not more) benefit from a drop in filter. I had a K&N filter for a few months before installing my TRD intake and they're pretty much similar in my opinion. The TRD is probably a bit better overall but it's also hundreds more.

Headers seem to get rid of the torque dip (out at least smooth it out) so if you were going to do one thing to your exhaust then that would be your best bang per dollar. It's on my list but I've run out of car mod money for a while.

I also have a Kartboy Crank Pulley sitting in a box in my garage waiting to be installed. I'll be able to comment on that...eventually (if I ever get the balls to install it).

It says Subaru on everything actually. as far as I know Toyota only has their name on the car in one place and that's the little engine cover plate. Poor Toyota paid the bill and Subaru went and put their stamp on everything.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Progressive JPEG posted:

Briefly tried playing BT audio from my phone (with the base radio) and what played was a continuous loop of some android notification sound. I doubt this is an issue with the car, since the audio itself apparently streams just fine.

The stick comes with practice, it's a pretty short throw so it's a little hard to tell what gear you're in at first. Also, activate your gear indicator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL50fh9-_9A though it doesn't come on until you're actually in gear and moving.

The BT audio is not well supported with Android. It kicks off your default music app and starts playing whatever MP3 it can find. Pandora or other apps are possible but a) there's no volume control other than the device itself (?) and b) it gets reset to the default music player when you restart the car.

I don't bother with BT audio anymore, just use a 3.5mm cable or USB. Pandora etc just isn't worth the hassle.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

ewiley posted:

The BT audio is not well supported with Android. It kicks off your default music app and starts playing whatever MP3 it can find. Pandora or other apps are possible but a) there's no volume control other than the device itself (?) and b) it gets reset to the default music player when you restart the car.

Just hit the stop button on the onscreen player, after that it should just pipe out whatever audio happens to be coming out of your phone.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rabble posted:

However they're also mostly pointless as you'll get the same (if not more) benefit from a drop in filter. I had a K&N filter for a few months before installing my TRD intake and they're pretty much similar in my opinion.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Is it just a matter of opening the box and sticking the filter in?

Edit: Does a different filter cause that computer tantrum you were having, or do you think that was the whole new intake?

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 16, 2013

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

coolskillrex remix posted:

The car has a pretty substantial torque dip between the 3k and 4.5k range, and it's corrected pretty handedly with a new exhaust header and tune. After that, just pick up the rest of the exhaust that gets you the look and sound that you like.

I will likely end up with a Borla UEL header and ECUTEK stage 1 tune before the summer is out. Installation looks laughably easy because they made everything on this car so goddamned accessible.

Here's a comparison of headers (with dynos):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36680

You can see how pronounced the torque dip is and how it gets corrected with most of the available headers. The below graph illustrates the dip:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

dupersaurus posted:

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Is it just a matter of opening the box and sticking the filter in?

Edit: Does a different filter cause that computer tantrum you were having, or do you think that was the whole new intake?

The computer tantrum was the ECU reset, which I highly recommend you do even just installing a drop in filter. Unhook the negative battery terminal for like 5 minutes. The computer will have to retrain itself and the gas pedal will get about a half inch of dead space for about a week or 100 miles. But afterwards it'll drive at 100% potential.

Installing a drop in filter is slightly more complicated than just popping it in. You need to unscrew the whole assembly to get a good seal. Search for my DIY on the FT86club forums (username is the same) I'd link it but I'm on my phone

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Rabble posted:

The computer tantrum was the ECU reset, which I highly recommend you do even just installing a drop in filter. Unhook the negative battery terminal for like 5 minutes. The computer will have to retrain itself and the gas pedal will get about a half inch of dead space for about a week or 100 miles. But afterwards it'll drive at 100% potential.

Installing a drop in filter is slightly more complicated than just popping it in. You need to unscrew the whole assembly to get a good seal. Search for my DIY on the FT86club forums (username is the same) I'd link it but I'm on my phone

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34343

I actually just ordered a drop in filter so :yayclod:.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rabble posted:

Cool beans. Looks like I might have my first DIY automotive upgrade.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Whelp, just put on the kartboy crsnk shaft pulley, which means another ECU reset...

I sure as hell hope I installed it correctly and my engine doesn't explode.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ewiley posted:

Also, activate your gear indicator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL50fh9-_9A though it doesn't come on until you're actually in gear and moving.
Oh nice. That should definitely fix things. I do think the short throw was what confused me, the previous manual (1991 escort gt) had a much longer throw.

Other features that someone might not know about, or which were mentioned earlier and I just missed:
- There's a cig lighter in the glovebox, tucked away near the back right corner.
- You can change the "SCION" startup text on the base radio to whatever you want.
- You should try changing the radio to "FR-S" car mode. It defaults to "tC" or some other Scion model.
- If you don't like the beep when locking/unlocking the car remotely, your dealer can turn it off or change its volume for you.
- For the first 1000 miles, the manual recommends staying under 4000 RPM :cry: for break-in. For now I've got my RPM light triggering at 3700 RPM.

Anyone know if there's a display of estimated miles remaining tucked away somewhere?

ewiley posted:

Yeah I think the problem was the app that decided to take over. At the phone's lock screen I was able to pause the alert loop, then when I Played Music from Play Music it worked fine. I just need to get rid of whatever that default player is.

This is all on Android 4.2.2; there's apparently been some BT-related bugfixes recently. Also, from what I vaguely remember when dinking around with it several hours ago, I think the car's volume knob worked fine for me. Forgot to try playback controls though. If that works I could conceivably just leave my phone or an N7 in the glovebox all the time.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 17, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't get why Bluetooth has to be so buggy. It never works exactly right for me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've never had a problem with the Bluetooth in mine. Nice little, "Hello Joshua. Galaxy Note connected." message every morning :3:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bluetooth issues are related to Android 4.2. They changed the Bluetooth stack and it introduced a lot of problems. The next Android update should improve things significantly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bluetooth works great on my iPhone. Turn on car, and it's playing whatever I was last listening to within a couple seconds.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
BT is flawless with my iPhones, always picks up where it left off very quickly.

BT with Windows Phone 8 is garbage. It never wants to actually start playing until I hit the play button, and even then about 80% of the time I have to manipulate the phone manually to pick a new playlist or set of tracks, every single time I start the car. I get a SMS and music won't play unless I hit the play button after the SMS tone is done. Garbage.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Bluetooth didn't work well for me on android 4.1, but I flashed to cm10.1 and it works great, connecting within a few seconds and automatically playing where it left off. Hopefully the stock android issues will be resolved soon.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

- For the first 1000 miles, the manual recommends staying under 4000 RPM :cry: for break-in. For now I've got my RPM light triggering at 3700 RPM.

Ya i said gently caress that on the test drive…. NO god drat way is that possible.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Ahz posted:

BT is flawless with my iPhones, always picks up where it left off very quickly.

BT with Windows Phone 8 is garbage. It never wants to actually start playing until I hit the play button, and even then about 80% of the time I have to manipulate the phone manually to pick a new playlist or set of tracks, every single time I start the car. I get a SMS and music won't play unless I hit the play button after the SMS tone is done. Garbage.

That must be phone/head combination specific because my Lumia 920 works flawlessly with my FR-S stock head unit. I've heard the BRZ head is more finicky though and you may have an 8x that I've heard is also BT finicky. I turn on my car and my phone resumes audio every time, it's actually the only way I listen to audio in my car. Podcasts and music.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BT works fine with my fancy Scion radio and an iphone (certainly better than the Alpine I put in my last car). But what I don't get it why they don't let you play and control device music through their companion app :psyduck: It would have at least made a half-assed nav system at least somewhat usable.

o-bake
Sep 1, 2001

Washed the car yesterday and noticed my first paint chip. It's on the hood and is only a small one, but just knowing its there is enough to give me agita. Did a cursory search on touch-ups, and it looks like I will get some touch-up paint next time I am at the dealership.

Maybe it's because I haven't accepted that it happened yet, but the car feels defiled now.

I don't want to know what will happen to my mental health when the inevitable door ding occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

o-bake posted:

Washed the car yesterday and noticed my first paint chip. It's on the hood and is only a small one, but just knowing its there is enough to give me agita. Did a cursory search on touch-ups, and it looks like I will get some touch-up paint next time I am at the dealership.

Maybe it's because I haven't accepted that it happened yet, but the car feels defiled now.

I don't want to know what will happen to my mental health when the inevitable door ding occurs.

People like you graduate into people who never buy a car new.

• Locked thread