Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Flame112 posted:

Space Agency chat: I guess I don't really "get" how to move stuff around in orbit. I'm on mission 4, the one where you have to put a telescope into orbit. I can build a craft that gets me there fine, but I don't really get how I'm supposed to maneuver into the green square.

Mostly I've tried to go straight outward, so that I can widen my orbit, but when when I try to actually get into the box I either accelerate too fast and lose orbit, or so slow that I end up dropping back into the earth.

Pointing directly away from the planet and firing the engine (or thruster) forward will only widen your orbit, it doesn't affect orbital speed.

Pointing at a perfect tangent to your orbit will only increase/decrease your speed, it won't change the distance of your orbit.

It's completely unrealistic, but orbital distance and orbital velocity are completely unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Pointing at a perfect tangent to your orbit will only increase/decrease your speed, it won't change the distance of your orbit.

Unless you slow down too much, then you start to fall.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Pochoclo posted:

So my boss gave me an iphone 5 as a gift. I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the billion "free" games and stuff. I'm checking out the ones from the last few pages, especially Space Agency. Any cool 3D space sims? Or roguelikes. Don't mind paying 2-3 bucks for a game. Something like Master of Orion 1 on the iphone would be awesome.

Starbase Orion is a pretty good MoO2 clone. It's $6.99 but its still a good price for its features, I feel.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for card games like Magic?

There's a port of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 on iOS. Unfortunately, it's iPad only.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's supposed to be a Trism sequel coming out very soon too.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :stare: Color me interested

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Crazy religious nutbar MDickie's Wrestling Revolution (Pro, full version) just went :siren: free :siren: It's really weird.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/wrestling-revolution-pro

You should probably experience this.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Flame112 posted:

Space Agency chat: I guess I don't really "get" how to move stuff around in orbit. I'm on mission 4, the one where you have to put a telescope into orbit. I can build a craft that gets me there fine, but I don't really get how I'm supposed to maneuver into the green square.

Mostly I've tried to go straight outward, so that I can widen my orbit, but when when I try to actually get into the box I either accelerate too fast and lose orbit, or so slow that I end up dropping back into the earth.
It's worth pointing out on that mission that if you aren't using a Black Arrow with Booster rockets then there's a good chance that once in orbit you will be incredibly tight on fuel. Getting the telescope into position will use just about every reserve you have. Spend the money and have fuel to burn and its much easier.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bummey posted:

Crazy religious nutbar MDickie's Wrestling Revolution (Pro, full version) just went :siren: free :siren: It's really weird.

Too bad "The You Testament" isn't available on the app store. I'd love to show that to my boss as the true pinnacle of mobile games. With the Dragonball faces of course.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MissMarple posted:

It's worth pointing out on that mission that if you aren't using a Black Arrow with Booster rockets then there's a good chance that once in orbit you will be incredibly tight on fuel. Getting the telescope into position will use just about every reserve you have. Spend the money and have fuel to burn and its much easier.

So that's what I was doing wrong! So many wasted tries running out of fuel :smith:

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Bummey posted:

Thank you. Trying to figure it out now. I accidentally clicked the Japanese flag because in my brain I went "Well I like PURO so yeah"...

Uninstalled and reinstalled and picked English. I will be the redneckiest, backyardiest fat spot monkey ever.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

MissMarple posted:

I'll try this; before I was ending up with about half fuel on my tug by the time I got into space.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
WazHack update:

My very first character finally died. Got an early wish, assumed that it was like Nethack and got some speed boots. They were surprisingly worthless in hindsight.

Died because the controls are super lovely and an elevator went DOWN instead of UP. Twice. And then an enemy teleported out of nowhere and shot me four times in a row because its projectile bounced that many times in an open room. So double bullshit, currently just kind of pissed at the game.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

More Space Agency Chat. Does anyone have any pointers for mission 13, the station crew refresh?

The best I've figured is to launch one module on a Gemini, send it to the station, send the other two modules back while I'm docking. Then, while they're slowly returning, launch the second module and try my best to get the two returning modules into orbit while scrambling to get to the station with the last bit. Once I managed to get the crew pod into the atmosphere but ended up running out of time and then propellant because I was panicking and everyone died. Another time I flew the crew pod into a satellite in orbit, what are the chances. :mad:

But generally I keep running out of time. Are there any tricks for this? Most of the other missions before this I had ample time.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Came to post this; it's weird crazy jank that neat stuff can happen in, goon approved several times in thread already.

Also, after getting the British DLC for Ace Patrol, yeah, the difficulty ramps up later into the campaign when other planes now have more maneuverability and can tail you constantly, and you have to balance your team because they're busy with repairs or being POWs. I still wish there was better mission variety though. :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

duckfarts posted:

Came to post this; it's weird crazy jank that neat stuff can happen in, goon approved several times in thread already.

Also, after getting the British DLC for Ace Patrol, yeah, the difficulty ramps up later into the campaign when other planes now have more maneuverability and can tail you constantly, and you have to balance your team because they're busy with repairs or being POWs. I still wish there was better mission variety though. :(

Has anyone bought the other countries? I like the British campaign but I can't decide whether I want to give into the others. Is there any difference other than cosmetic? New mission types?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hey guy. You only need one launch for that. Gemini rocket, connector, Apollo service module, dockable crew module, maybe a faring if it fits.

Launch, leave orbit towards space station, detach existing service module, dock new module+crew capsule, send old module back to earth.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

duckfarts posted:

So started a training session which was interrupted by outside interference and ended in me submitting my coach multiple times after brutalizing him with the ring bell. Interesting game

edit - apparently i wasn't even playing the full game, only the training edition

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Has anyone tried Tiny Token Empires (iPad only)? It's been on my watch list forever and just dropped to 99 cents (normally $8).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Teddybear posted:

Has anyone bought the other countries? I like the British campaign but I can't decide whether I want to give into the others. Is there any difference other than cosmetic? New mission types?
Stuff in thread and the net says that missions are more of the same, though getting new plane types can change up your tactics and make it feel different.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bummey posted:

How well do the controls work in this? I remember the PC version being complicated as hell which was part of the charm I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's swipe controls which are terrible but amuzing when you headlock your trainer and keep slamming him into the ground by accident. For the less masochistic there's on screen buttons as an option.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Duranki posted:

Has anyone tried Tiny Token Empires (iPad only)? It's been on my watch list forever and just dropped to 99 cents (normally $8).
No, but their site has a PC/Mac demo version.

I can't say it doesn't look like it's worth a buck.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I've just been violently ill for five days and like, fled a small third world country back to Australia. Of course, my first day back I feel okay, so, maybe I fled a little too quickly but I was set positive I had something encephalitisy but the point is I think I hate my ipad. It kinda revulses me. I can't hold it very long before starting to think about like, little hotel rooms with irrelevant fans, dabbing myself down with yellowy water and struggling not to rug up however much the chills told me I was cold. And then I have to put it down and go look out the window or have a lie down or something. I might have to sell it.

But on that note, edge extended edition really got me through the rough times. That game is great.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

How well do the controls work in this? I remember the PC version being complicated as hell which was part of the charm I guess.

Not great. There's a reason I said experience rather than play.

fork banger
Jan 3, 2001

Kepa posted:

WazHack update:

My very first character finally died. Got an early wish, assumed that it was like Nethack and got some speed boots. They were surprisingly worthless in hindsight.

Died because the controls are super lovely and an elevator went DOWN instead of UP. Twice. And then an enemy teleported out of nowhere and shot me four times in a row because its projectile bounced that many times in an open room. So double bullshit, currently just kind of pissed at the game.

Yeah I just avoid the elevators because the controls are busted and also because I just get owned in there. The dev said he's working on fixing the controls though (of the elevator and in general). :)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

They're not bad. The virtual buttons are ideal. It's charm lies in the strange things that happen in matches, not in how great the wrestling simulation is.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

The IOS port of Frozen Synapse is out for $7. :dance:

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

LIMBO KING posted:

The IOS port of Frozen Synapse is out for $7. :dance:

After buying goddamn Crabitron for five dollars because you idiots got excited over it, I'm not spending more than 3 bux on an app. I would like for someone to tell me that this is legitimately worth it because I enjoy the a-sync play of Hero Academy and its Steam version. I couldn't get into the PC version of Frozen Synapse but I'm hoping there being an IOS version is what makes it click for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

frogg posted:

After buying goddamn Crabitron for five dollars because you idiots got excited over it, I'm not spending more than 3 bux on an app. I would like for someone to tell me that this is legitimately worth it because I enjoy the a-sync play of Hero Academy and its Steam version. I couldn't get into the PC version of Frozen Synapse but I'm hoping there being an IOS version is what makes it click for me.

I mean, if you didn't like the PC version, I don't know what to tell you. But in my opinion, its well worth it. One of the best async games I've ever played.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

frogg posted:

It's identical to the PC version in every way I can tell, although I'll admit it's been a couple years since I played.

And it's fantastic. Took them forever to port it but the time was well spent.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bummey posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :stare: Color me interested

Yeah and it's going to add RPG elements.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/08/new-details-on-trism-2-emerge-potentially-coming-this-summer/

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Oh? Maybe it could wor

quote:

Trism 2 takes the eponymous trisms, the colorful tiles from the initial puzzle game, and anthropomorphises them.

Ehhh, maybe that won't be so b

quote:

It's going to be free to play, but Demeter also plans on offering a single unlock to "convert" the game to a "paid"-style game if grinding up points and waiting for timers isn't your cup of tea.

I'm going to go lie down now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

frogg posted:

I've gotta admit that I don't know how you could really regret your Crabitron purchase. Not that I don't understand how someone could not like the game, but I mean... it's pretty much just what it looks like in screenshots and videos and stuff. I can't imagine going into that game without knowing exactly what you're getting.

But yeah. Frozen Synapse is just a port of the PC version. An absolutely phenomenal port.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I'll give fair warning as a very experienced Frozen Synapse player: it has an absolutely brutal learning curve. The matchmaking is against "whoever is online and looking for a game" and that invariably means people VERY GOOD AT IT. And it's like playing someone really good at chess; you are going to get slaughtered and won't know why. I remember when it went on Steam sale the glorious week of playing newbies; beating some of them within the first second or two of the game.

When you get a feel for it; it's an amazing game (I wouldn't have played my way into the Top 20 otherwise), but you need to get over those first couple of dozen games.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The Sonic 1 update dropped tonight.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Bummey posted:

I'm going to go lie down now.
This is exactly what people always say they want - the ability to buy f2p games outright and eliminate any grind.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

frogg posted:

After buying goddamn Crabitron for five dollars because you idiots got excited over it, I'm not spending more than 3 bux on an app.

Paradoxish posted:

I've gotta admit that I don't know how you could really regret your Crabitron purchase. Not that I don't understand how someone could not like the game, but I mean... it's pretty much just what it looks like in screenshots and videos and stuff. I can't imagine going into that game without knowing exactly what you're getting.
You should never regret paying the iron price for your apps.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

The Sonic 1 update dropped tonight.

Is this the update that's like a total remake? Are they going to do the same thing for Sonic 2 because I actually have that one.

The sonic games are actually decent platformers for the virtual dpad because they're so simple to control.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery is adorable. I'm playing the Vita version as I bought it the moment it came out on the strength of the art-style alone. I wish I were playing the iPad version though as biggerer screen is betterer. It's lovely though. If you liked either Puzzle Agent or Professor Layton, then this is worth three bucks of your money.

24 puzzles in the game, but there is a lot of fully voiced story between each one to link them together. It's actually way more story than game, you get sometimes 10 minutes of dialogue then a puzzle, and repeat. Consider that before going on. But if you want a cute little story with tons of character interspersed with some puzzles then you'll have a whale of a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this the update that's like a total remake? Are they going to do the same thing for Sonic 2 because I actually have that one.
Yes. It's 16:9, has spin dash, and features Tails and Knuckles as unlockables.

EDIT: I believe they said they're doing Sonic 2 as well, but I haven't heard when.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 16, 2013

• Locked thread