Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't think anyone here is actually implying that seeing in black and white as cheating, but it certainly doesn't help someone develop tonality. Unless you have the viewfinder glued to your eyes during any shoot, being able to notice light and dark and the way it affects a shot is an important thing. And anyone who photographs anything dynamic knows, seeing it immediately can make the difference in getting the shot or missing it entirely.

Oh, new page in a gear thread, let's stay on topic a little. Need a bellows for your camera? Ever consider just making it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQAM4i33OI

This one is for an air pump but the concept is the same.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
True Purists don't look at their shots. Ever. Shoot, then hand the camera to a flunky and go home to await the call to the awards show.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

Not seeing color in the viewfinder is equivalent to training wheels? Really?

What about chimping to check exposure? Are we not allowed to look at histograms either? Where does it stop?

You aren’t allowed to have a viewfinder to check framing, nor ground glass/a rangefinder to focus with. You have to frame and focus by instinct.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Not sure what focal length has to do with this but i'm a 28mm/50mm/85mm prime kit guy myself, wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree, or I do a 35 or 50 single-lens kit. My point is that this forces you to really consider perspective as an element of your composition, which involves being able to see relatively what area your lens can take and how that relates to where you are standing.

Not seeing color in the viewfinder is equivalent to training wheels? Really?

What about chimping to check exposure? Are we not allowed to look at histograms either? Where does it stop?

At the point where you can eyeball a reasonable perspective, contrast, composition, and preferably the exposure as well, yes. Seriously here, if you can't see the contrast and composition you want, how can you do more than guess at what shot you want to take? I'm not trying say you should do it any particular way, but if you don't see a good shot and how it should be made, how do you take it?

You can complain all you want about how it's elitist to not have to "chimp to check the exposure" but it is really not necessary given film/modern digital latitude and it's an incredibly useful skill to be able to see how you want to place the shot on the zone scale. At a minimum it gives you the ability to do a sanity check on the meter, which is valuable. Someday you may be frantically dialing an exposure to take a grab shot that freaks out your camera's meter and you will be glad you know sunny f/16.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 16, 2013

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot

Platystemon posted:

You aren’t allowed to have a viewfinder to check framing, nor ground glass/a rangefinder to focus with. You have to frame and focus by instinct.

This is a brand new world to me. I am so glad I left /r/photography to come here, its like being trained by ra's al ghul.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Platystemon posted:

Thats called shooting with a Rollei 35, FYI. :smug:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

I do these things but I know that I'm learning to see and I'm not where I want to be yet. And I miss a lot of great shots because I'm fumbling with my camera and not able to operate on an intuitive level.

For what it's worth, using tools for drawing is entirely different than using tools for photography. You could theoretically take months to finish a drawing, offering you endless opportunities to use tools to enhance the process. As someone who works as a drawer and painter, I appreciate that photography can give me an image in fractions of a second. It's really quite something to be able to go from concept to finished work in the space of a couple of hours. But that comes with its own drawbacks. There are real physical limits on how long you can spend taking a photograph except in very unusual circumstances.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I am a minimalist. The only things I need to make art is your mom and a bottle of scotch.

(Art is what I call sex with your mother BTW)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

I am a minimalist. The only things I need to make art is your mom and a bottle of scotch.

Pathetic. Relying on a crutch like Scotch is the sign of a poseur.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Pathetic. Relying on a crutch like Scotch is the sign of a poseur.

Look man I don't set your mom's rates, complain to her.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Fred Miranda Jr posted:

EVFs and LCD screens suffer from being pixelated. An optical viewfinder has as much detail as the lens and your eye can resolve, so you can tell EXACTLY what's in focus. Very important when using f/1.2L lenses.

Thats exactly not right at all. I can focus nbd at 1.2 with Fuji's EVF no pixel problems and full detail and sweet, sweet bokey. Such it Trebek :smugdog:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

There are real physical limits on how long you can spend taking a photograph except in very unusual circumstances.

I once sat with a shutter open for 7 hours. It was rather boring. I actually read a book.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

I once sat with a shutter open for 7 hours. It was rather boring. I actually read a book.

What book? No true artist reads anything but the finest animes while taking long exposures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fred Miranda Jr posted:

so you can tell EXACTLY what's in focus. Very important when using f/1.2L lenses.
Peaking is a much more reliable focus aid than a giant viewfinder.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-samurai posted:

What book? No true artist reads anything but the finest animes while taking long exposures.

True artists would have read lots of books beforehand, so they could visualise the story without having to open the book.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Peaking is a much more reliable focus aid than a giant viewfinder.

Look at this guy that hasn't used a 4x5. Focus peaking? I'll just get my giant gently caress off loupe and peak whatever the gently caress I want. :cmon:

spog posted:

True artists would have read lots of amazon book reviews beforehand, so they could visualise the story without having to open the book.

I have rectified your statement.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can anyone suggest a decent third party wide open 24mm prime with EF mount? The options I know of right how is Sigma and Samyang, and both seem to have kind of significant drawbacks (excessive softness and/or vignetting). I'm like a Canon 24mm/1.4, but I'm not Rockefeller.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Tribe-Collected-Stories/dp/0345541324/ref=pd_sim_b_12

Close enough?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes posted:

I want to start using an old 70-200 Nikon lens my dad had on my Canon T2i; any adapter brand/model I should be on the lookout for?

Sorry to insist, but any input on this? The lens is an old one, so it doesn't have autofocus.

Cheers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Not now nerd, we are discussing the finer points of the Star Wars EU ITT. Just buy any old EF to F mount adapter on Amazon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry to insist, but any input on this? The lens is an old one, so it doesn't have autofocus.

Cheers.

Sorry to insist, but buy an adapter and try it out.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

My sister gave me Army of Darkness: Ash Saves Obama for christmas; I have plans for some long exposures, I need to remember to take this with me. I don't think it'll last 7 hours, though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent third party wide open 24mm prime with EF mount? The options I know of right how is Sigma and Samyang, and both seem to have kind of significant drawbacks (excessive softness and/or vignetting). I'm like a Canon 24mm/1.4, but I'm not Rockefeller.
I used to own the Sigma. Though it was crummy at f/1.8, it improved significantly at f/2. Still nothing jaw-dropping, but defintely useable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't take pictures. I memorize a scene and people have to read my mind to see it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

I don't take pictures. I memorize a scene and people have to read my mind to see it.

Every time I try this the only thing people end up seeing is hosed up nudes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-samurai posted:

Every time I try this the only thing people end up seeing is hosed up nudes.

All my scenes include hosed up nudes already.

Otherwise, what's the point of taking the photo?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Cheers.

Any of the 10-15 dollar adapters on amazon or ebay are going to work just as well as any other one, so just go to town.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mr. Despair posted:

Any of the 10-15 dollar adapters on amazon or ebay are going to work just as well as any other one, so just go to town.

fotodiox

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I just bought a used Tamron 17-50/2.8 (Nikon version, built-in motor, no VC), partially thanks to Dorkroom suggestions. I'm very pleased with its optical quality so far, but contrary to what I've read, the focus ring turns quite easily in AF mode. Is it supposed to have full-time MF override, or is it broken/am I breaking it as we speak?

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place, I'm rather new to actually posting here.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ag Bengip posted:

I just bought a used Tamron 17-50/2.8 (Nikon version, built-in motor, no VC), partially thanks to Dorkroom suggestions. I'm very pleased with its optical quality so far, but contrary to what I've read, the focus ring turns quite easily in AF mode. Is it supposed to have full-time MF override, or is it broken/am I breaking it as we speak?

Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place, I'm rather new to actually posting here.

The sample I have handy here acts the same way. I'm not sure if it's good for the lens, but the lens isn't broken.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ag Bengip posted:

It does not have MF override.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Ag Bengip posted:

Like musket said, the lens does not have MF override. This means don't turn the ring in AF. While it will move and not necessarily break, feedback into a nonactive servo will damage it. This is in any application of micro motor gear servos, not just photography.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can somebody tell me why ND filters have such stupid numbering systems? Also why is it so hard to find an 8-stop ND filter?

I gave up and bought a cheapo variable-ND just to play with because apparently manufacturers like to confuse me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

1st AD posted:

Can somebody tell me why ND filters have such stupid numbering systems? Also why is it so hard to find an 8-stop ND filter?

I gave up and bought a cheapo variable-ND just to play with because apparently manufacturers like to confuse me.

Because physics. It's the same reason iso and aperture numbers are pretty dumb if you don't think about it but make wonderful sense if you think too hard about it.

e. seriously, nd filter numbers correspond to aperture reductions, so it's got that same oddball numbering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1st AD posted:

The Goja cheap set comes with an 8 stop filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Neutral-Density-Filter-Compatible/dp/B00867PFZY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1368735147&sr=8-6

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That I'm sure introduces some awesome color casting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, that's what all those sliders in Lightroom are for!

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
ND8 (typically, i have never seen these specific filters before) is not an 8 stop, it's 8x less light, so it's a 3 stop.

I have an ND400 -- that's about 8.5 stops.

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

The sample I have handy here acts the same way. I'm not sure if it's good for the lens, but the lens isn't broken.

Wasn't the 17-50 the lens that everyone had problem with 'slop on the focus ring' and it turned out to be a defect that would sooner-or-later cause the front element mounting to disintegrate, and everyone got super paranoid and sent their lenses back to tamron to repair?

I know that I was worried about it (I don't have a 17-50, but do have a 70-300 and the flaw was with a whole lot of tamrons).

A google search does show up some suggestion that it was that lens... but at the same time the focus ring is not clutched, so you're directly turning the AF motor, and need to be sure it's actually slop rather than just the motor turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bob Socko posted:

I used to own the Sigma. Though it was crummy at f/1.8, it improved significantly at f/2. Still nothing jaw-dropping, but defintely useable.
After reading a shitload of reviews, I went with the Samyang. Trading off autofocus for better corner performance and overall sharpness. I've put the Eg-S screen into my Canon, anyway, so manual focus shouldn't be too much of an issue.