Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Every time I see those I just want to hop in and say "for what?". I guarantee they'll think doing President stuff is illegal.

They probably just want the first successful impeachment of a President to go to onea'em good-for nothin' Dems. :smug:

'Course, I kinda then wonder what their reaction would be if you bring up Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ringo Star Get posted:

Every time I see those I just want to hop in and say "for what?". I guarantee they'll think doing President stuff is illegal.

I don't think they even understand what treason actually is.

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Every single comment is blank. :stare: What did it say?

Here's the bit about the gangster, it's a pretty convincing argument. The rest was just general disbelief about the show.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Nohtenki posted:

Here's the bit about the gangster, it's a pretty convincing argument. The rest was just general disbelief about the show.

He (Samy) may be a criminal but money laundering makes no sense. If they were laundering money then the company would, on paper, appear to be doing great sales. The books would say they sold twice as much food as they actually sold (and those sales would be cash of course) then when the deposits are made, dirty money becomes clean. If you were laundering money you would not ask Gorden Ramsey to come to your store, because the first thing he'd do is look at your books to see if you were making money or losing money. From there he'd see you ordered 15 steaks and had 15 steaks in stock that day and somehow sold 30. The only way they could be laundering money and failing is if they actually didn't have any money to be laundering, and then they aren't actually laundering money.

Now Samy may still be broke if he's laundering money for his boss, or whatever. But launderers get a cut of the money they are laundering, so he'd still be making money. Bottom line, if they were laundering money, there is no way Gordon Ramsey would be there. Gordon points a camera at the wrong line on a ledger in the office, and everyone goes to jail. No way they'd invite him to help their 'floundering business'.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Or maybe having Gordon come would make the place seem like it wouldn't be laundering in the first place because no place would risk it. They acted crazy as hell to have Gordon leave and they go back to shuffling money for the mafia.

ITS A PERFECT PLAN

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Or maybe having Gordon come would make the place seem like it wouldn't be laundering in the first place because no place would risk it. They acted crazy as hell to have Gordon leave and they go back to shuffling money for the mafia.

ITS A PERFECT PLAN

The general consensus was that these people (mostly Amy) were so delusional that they thought Gordon was going to come in and tell them how AMAZING the restaurant was and make it seem more legitimate, and not obviously a money front.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I'm always looking for reasons to not like Gordon Ramsay, but I can't help but like him. Like someone posted earlier, in the first real episodes of Kitchen Nightmares UK you can see the real him. I think. But yeah I'm addicted to this loving show. But without a doubt the American version is awful in comparison to the original UK series.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Guys, my aunt posted this and another one of my aunts liked it as well as my younger brother. What do I do help help help

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Regalingualius posted:

They probably just want the first successful impeachment of a President to go to onea'em good-for nothin' Dems. :smug:

'Course, I kinda then wonder what their reaction would be if you bring up Nixon.

Wouldn't you know it, we already know what they'd say:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Guys, my aunt posted this and another one of my aunts liked it as well as my younger brother. What do I do help help help

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/02/05/142288/reagan-centennial/?mobile=nc

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Reagan didn't fix a loving thing. He tripled the federal debt, instigated a Drug War that's cost the US billions of dollars with no discernible results and worst of all legitimized the GOP's cult worship of the Chicago School/supply side economics. He perhaps more than anyone else is responsible for the ongoing collapse of American public infrastructure and quality of life for the non-rich.

And despite the legend he was hardly responsible for the end of the Soviet Union, either. Anyone who seriously suggests that that was more due to Reagan's macho anticommunist positions than to the destabilizing reforms of the Gorbachev government has no idea what they're talking about.

In short:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
poo poo Reagan and company actually did commit actual treason, not whatever a Republican currently thinks is treason to get rid of Obama.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Amy's baking company is having a "grand re-opening" and will allegedly use some of the proceeds to raise awareness of cyber-bullying, which is a laugh. You can see the details on their Facebook. They are still maintaining that paying servers $8-14 an hour (while confiscating tips) is is highly generous of them, while ignoring once again that the practice is against the law. Since they only have one server, i wonder how they get away with saying 8 to 14 dollars an hour...

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Amy's baking company is having a "grand re-opening" and will allegedly use some of the proceeds to raise awareness of cyber-bullying, which is a laugh. You can see the details on their Facebook. They are still maintaining that paying servers $8-14 an hour (while confiscating tips) is is highly generous of them, while ignoring once again that the practice is against the law. Since they only have one server, i wonder how they get away with saying 8 to 14 dollars an hour...

So, how are they in business if confiscating tips is against the law? Has no one thought of reporting them? It's not that hard when you can just point at the Kitchen Nightmares episode where they straight out admit it.

Hell, what the gently caress is Ramsay and the people working on Kitchen Nightmares doing if they didn't do that themselves?

Edit: I just checked Facebook. I don't go on that often since I have nothing to really talk about, but someone I knew from High School posted a fake link about Eminem being stabbed. It links to a video and going by the comments the video shows a guys head getting chopped off. And the thumbnail is a picture of a man in the hospital showing his eviscerated back, so that's always nice.

Ularg has a new favorite as of 07:32 on May 16, 2013

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Every time something like this pops up, I just can't help but think to myself "motherfucker used to mail jelly beans to foreign heads of state because he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's."

"Jelly beans for freedom."

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

Ularg posted:

So, how are they in business if confiscating tips is against the law? Has no one thought of reporting them? It's not that hard when you can just point at the Kitchen Nightmares episode where they straight out admit it.

Hell, what the gently caress is Ramsay and the people working on Kitchen Nightmares doing if they didn't do that themselves?

Edit: I just checked Facebook. I don't go on that often since I have nothing to really talk about, but someone I knew from High School posted a fake link about Eminem being stabbed. It links to a video and going by the comments the video shows a guys head getting chopped off. And the thumbnail is a picture of a man in the hospital showing his eviscerated back, so that's always nice.

I don't know anything about the links you referenced, since there are literally thousands of comments to sift through. Regarding the confiscation of tips - I'm sure by now they've been reported, but you have to keep in mind that this episode is only about one week old (two in Canada apparently). So i doubt that's enough time to complete any investigation about illegal practices. If you've seen the episode, you'll notice all their employees are very young (as in MAYBE 18) ladies who most likely have no idea that surrendering tips to the employer is illegal. I've worked in restaurants essentially my entire employable years, and if the owner told me they kept my tips when i was 18 and desperate for a job, i would do what i can only assume most of their employees have done - realize it's bullshit and stay only long enough to find a job that is anywhere but ABC.

E: i just realized the whole beheading thing may have been about Facebook in general

Highbrow Slick has a new favorite as of 08:13 on May 16, 2013

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
e: beaten

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ularg posted:

I don't think it's against the law for management to take tips. From what I'm aware there's no real legislation on tips (beyond tips having to be taxed if you make beyond a certain point, which most people ignore anyway). However it's a real dick thing to do because when you leave a tip at the restaurant it's generally understood that the tip you leave is for the server. You're not exactly stealing, but you're taking advantage of your customer's assumption.

I really hope the Kitchen Nightmares episode and the huge meltdown that came out of that is the final nail in the coffin for those two. Amy is batshit and Samy is enabling it by not saying anything. (I honestly think Samy's behavior is more a product of being around Amy. I think he's pretty reasonable and seems to in fact be on Ramsay's side during the episode but he's not standing up for himself out of fear of Amy's retribution.)

Enough Kitchen Nightmares (is there a thread about Amy's Baking Company? I'd love to read and post in that thread but I'm not sure if it would be TV IV, Goons with Spoons, or GBS, and googling for the thread brought up nothing), have some content:

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

This is my uncle, he posts the typical right wing crap.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I just tried to like Andrew's comment. :downs:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't think it's against the law for management to take tips. From what I'm aware there's no real legislation on tips (beyond tips having to be taxed if you make beyond a certain point, which most people ignore anyway). However it's a real dick thing to do because when you leave a tip at the restaurant it's generally understood that the tip you leave is for the server. You're not exactly stealing, but you're taking advantage of your customer's assumption.

It's actually a state by state thing and in some states, tips are legally considered the property of whomever they're given to. So in those places, yes it is illegal for management to take an employee's tips since generally tips are intended for the servers and not management.

And although it sounds like it might not apply in this case, many states pay a much lower minimum wage to tipped employees with the assumption that it will even out with the minimum wage for all other employees via the money from tips. So if the employer is taking their tips and not compensating them somehow to bring them to the minimum wage that could be a problem legally speaking.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Segmentation Fault posted:

Enough Kitchen Nightmares (is there a thread about Amy's Baking Company? I'd love to read and post in that thread but I'm not sure if it would be TV IV, Goons with Spoons, or GBS, and googling for the thread brought up nothing)

I found what appears to be a general Ramsey thread, the discussion starts here, more or less: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post415278924
I haven't read very far, but I like to think most of the next fifteen pages are about it.
I'm surprised there isn't a GBS thread.

Edit: It drops off after several pages for a couple of pages of something else entirely, returns here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post415436459

MY PALE GOTH SKIN has a new favorite as of 13:57 on May 16, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Fabulist posted:

I found what appears to be a general Ramsey thread, the discussion starts here, more or less: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537989&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post415278924
I haven't read very far, but I like to think most of the next fifteen pages are about it.
I'm surprised there isn't a GBS thread.

I thought all the news came from a GBS thread until I checked it. There really should be one, but the sheer amount of crazy on their facebook page is quite sufficient.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Highbrow Slick posted:

Well you see, at the end of the night they look at how many empty tables there are and decide to give her $8, if there were a couple full or it's her birthday it goes up to $14!

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

It's actually a state by state thing and in some states, tips are legally considered the property of whomever they're given to. So in those places, yes it is illegal for management to take an employee's tips since generally tips are intended for the servers and not management.

And although it sounds like it might not apply in this case, many states pay a much lower minimum wage to tipped employees with the assumption that it will even out with the minimum wage for all other employees via the money from tips. So if the employer is taking their tips and not compensating them somehow to bring them to the minimum wage that could be a problem legally speaking.

Arizona seems to allow what they are doing.

Minimum wage generally is $7.80, service minimum wage is $4.80 and employers can add a $3.00 tip credit to that. I think the tip credit part is talking about essentially doing what ABC does.

So I guess blame Arizona?

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/20121031arizona-minimum-wage-will-rise-2013.html?nclick_check=1

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Time for some good old British bigotry - one of my former co-workers linked to this delightful page: The New Daily Patriot. Full of links to EDL pages, thinly-veiled racism, and personal attacks on left-wing politicians.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

Goosed it. posted:

Arizona seems to allow what they are doing.

Minimum wage generally is $7.80, service minimum wage is $4.80 and employers can add a $3.00 tip credit to that. I think the tip credit part is talking about essentially doing what ABC does.

So I guess blame Arizona?

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/20121031arizona-minimum-wage-will-rise-2013.html?nclick_check=1

I know this is growing into a derail so I'll leave it alone after this, but "tip credit" means an employer can pay a tipped employee below the minimum wage. It doesn't have anything to do with paying them minimum wage and then stealing their tips. This is from the US Department of Labor

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm

"Retention of Tips: A tip is the sole property of the tipped employee regardless of whether the employer takes a tip credit. The FLSA prohibits any arrangement between the employer and the tipped employee whereby any part of the tip received becomes the property of the employer. For example, even where a tipped employee receives at least $7.25 per hour in wages directly from the employer, the employee may not be required to turn over his or her tips to the employer."

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

This kid is like 17 and obsessed with the gym. Apparently he also "relates feelings."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Not that he's their commander in chief or anything. :v:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Previa_fun posted:

As soon as I saw that photo on Huffinton Post, I knew someone was going to poo poo themselves in anger. I'm glad/disappointed I was right.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

graynull posted:

As soon as I saw that photo on Huffinton Post, I knew someone was going to poo poo themselves in anger. I'm glad/disappointed I was right.

Obama could be spoon-feeding a malnourished child with cancer and they would complain that he's wasting taxpayer dollars feeding some welfare queen's child, and also Obamacare caused the cancer.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

graynull posted:

Err what? Aren't those soldiers the presidential guard or something? When I was a royal guard here in Norway, we were called in for stupid poo poo like that all the time, it's a part of the job. Why would anyone give a poo poo? Oh right. Idiots on Facebook. :downs:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Fanzay posted:

Err what? Aren't those soldiers the presidential guard or something? When I was a royal guard here in Norway, we were called in for stupid poo poo like that all the time, it's a part of the job. Why would anyone give a poo poo? Oh right. Idiots on Facebook. :downs:

Don't you see, Obama is trying to act like a king. We don't want to become some oppressed monarchy like you guys.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
This would probably fit better in a "Perverts on Facebook" thread, but I think it's pretty idiotic to talk about how you're going to masturbate to fan art on a public page.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

This would probably fit better in a "Perverts on Facebook" thread, but I think it's pretty idiotic to talk about how you're going to masturbate to fan art on a public page.

Is it creepy they are going to say they are going to masturbate to fan art, or the girl that keeps encouraging it?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Why would you even say such things in a public forum like facebook? Gross.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Flaggy posted:

Is it creepy they are going to say they are going to masturbate to fan art, or the girl that keeps encouraging it?

Dude's creepy, but the girl strikes me as kind of an attention whore. I AM A WOMAN WHO FINDS OTHER WOMEN SEXY PAY ATTENTION TO ME.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lyz posted:

Dude's creepy, but the girl strikes me as kind of an attention whore. I AM A WOMAN WHO FINDS OTHER WOMEN SEXY PAY ATTENTION TO ME.

Next thing you know she'll be asking for free stuff on WoW.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children is just a goldmine of rancid Facebook crap sometimes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Colossal
Dec 25, 2008

Blue is a former college classmate of mine who's been sliding into vegan/anti-GMO crazy for a while since we graduated, no idea who purple and orange are.

The Angry Colossal has a new favorite as of 18:29 on May 17, 2013

• Locked thread