Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Red Bones posted:

Was it this thread or the regular gundam thread where someone came in and was amazed that we could tell the gundams apart since they all looked really similar? And here we are discussing the multiple different model kits of the exact same suit. This hobby :shobon:

That was me a few months ago. I found all the Evangelion and Armored Core models really easy to differentiate but Gundams all looked the same. It was the head shape that was doing it since it was the first place I always look. All Gundams seem to have vents near the cheeks, the ninja plate over the mouth/nose, and the V-fin. It didn't help that my local store has a literal WALL of Gundam kits and a handful of the other shows, so it's total sensory overload. I think I've picked up a box for a dog Gundam once or twice. Never found the horse though. Now that I've watched 00 and built a GN-X, Exia Avalanche, Sparrow(lol), and currently building an MG Red Frame I can pick out the differences much easier. I'll be completely honest though I don't quite understand the love for the RX-78 - it's so boxy and doesn't really seem like it could move around very much but I know it's the classic suit so it gets extra points.

I want the MG GN-X next I think. I love the design, and my 1/144 isn't the prettiest since it's the second model I ever built and I'm pretty sure I snapped the parts out with my thumbs.:downs:

Oh yeah, I did go into the regular Gundam thread and said I really enjoyed Gundam 00, and one poster got really mad at me, but everybody else was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You should probably pick up the 2.0 then, because it is just a marvel of engineering. I think it's still the best MG in terms of flexibility and stability.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's pretty cool, but it's got the worst case of Okawara feet I've ever seen, and I own a scopedog(still waiting on that replacement part to get here).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

You should probably pick up the 2.0 then, because it is just a marvel of engineering. I think it's still the best MG in terms of flexibility and stability.

Shouldn't he just wait for the 3.0 at this point? It is coming out in August.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd go for the 2.0 if you want something that looks more like something out of the (better moments) of the anime's cels. The 3.0 is going to be a lot more Real Gradish. That being said, I imagine most people would prefer the 3.0 to the 2.0 based on looks. I probably will. I'll probably wait for the inevitable G-3 version though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Shouldn't he just wait for the 3.0 at this point? It is coming out in August.

Probably, but I imagine it'll be more expensive. And to be honest, I'm wondering if the 3.0 won't end up trading mobility for durability.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Probably, but I imagine it'll be more expensive. And to be honest, I'm wondering if the 3.0 won't end up trading mobility for durability.

If 3.0 is supposed to be the next evolution of Master Grades then Bandai better not be sacrificing jack poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like 700 yen more, and with the declining yen, that's like almost 7 dollars!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a link to any info about the GN-X 3.0 or is it just on a coming soon list? Google didn't find anything.

EDIT: I meant the GN-X 3.0 which I thought somebody above said was coming out soon. I may have misunderstood like 8 posts in a row.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 15, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

If 3.0 is supposed to be the next evolution of Master Grades then Bandai better not be sacrificing jack poo poo.

muike posted:

It's like 700 yen more, and with the declining yen, that's like almost 7 dollars!

Okay yeah, good points. I am dumb. :downs:

ACanofPepsi posted:

Is there a link to any info about the 3.0 or is it just on a coming soon list? Google didn't find anything.

Red Bones posted a translation last page.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

This post is true, but in reference to the Zaku 2.0.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I've yet to find another MG as flexible and posable as the Infinite Justice.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I don't know, MG Red Frame is pretty god drat posable...

Honestly, RX-78-2 2.0 is one of my absolute favorite kits. It's the hits the right mix of accuracy to the anime while still keeping it neatly designed.

I did like the real grade but not as much... hyper realistic Gundam just doesn't work for me v:shobon:v

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/05/mg-1100-rx-78-2-gundam-ver-30-on_15.html?m=1

1/100 Real Grade confirmed. Sorry Bandai, but i'll stick with my 1/100 metal in frame RX-78-2.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 16, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And the crowd goes mild.

I'm glad to see this thing can actually do the over-the-shoulder bazooka pose without a ton of finangling I guess.

EDIT: You know, the AGE-2 DB actually looks pretty rad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Unexciting news about the new RX-78-2 aside, great news is we're getting a HGUC Zogok! http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/05/hguc-1144-zogok-on-display-shizouka.html

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: You know, the AGE-2 DB actually looks pretty rad.

I'd be excited for Double Bullet if it weren't for the fact that the Normal is a ridiculously loose and floppy kit for such a simple transformer.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TaurusOxford posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/05/mg-1100-rx-78-2-gundam-ver-30-on_15.html?m=1

1/100 Real Grade confirmed. Sorry Bandai, but i'll stick with my 1/100 metal in frame RX-78-2.

Is it going to have the same pre-assembled style frame as the Real Grade? That'd be the deal breaker for me. That's nice and all for a 1/144 kit, but 1/100 is large enough to pull off a movable frame with individual parts.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sweet promo vid for the 3.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtotzVnb9E

I've basically quit the hobby but I fully intend to be all over this bitch, Day 1.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bimmi posted:

Pretty sweet promo vid for the 3.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtotzVnb9E

I've basically quit the hobby but I fully intend to be all over this bitch, Day 1.

:stare: when the knee bends and the plates slide apart.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
full burst freedom and destiny did it too

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
One thing I don't like about the RG line is that with so many moving parts, painting becomes a nightmare because anywhere with poor clearance means your paint will scratch right off even if its just during that one time you pose it and never touch it again. Also if secondhand comments are to be believed the 3.0 doesn't come with a core fighter (not that I care that much, although it appears to have space for it), no bazooka, no hyper hammer (did any kit?) and no waterslides. While I like extra details, they had that with the OYW version and got rid of it for the 2.0, now they're using RG details but lacking in features? Seems like 2 steps forward 1 step back to me.

Still, it's an impressive looking kit and I don't even like most Gundams, especially the RX-78-2. I just don't see it finding a spot in my collection.

Also drat, both GP01s look impressive. I only had the Fb on order, but I might have to change that.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 16, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The 3.0 has both the bazooka and the hammer. I think all of the MGs have had them.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Forget about the 3.0, this is looking amazing. They haven't announced every kit from the show yet have they? The HG Gold Frame, Zogok and Doben Wolf are the only ones I hadn't heard about before the show started. And the 3.0 I guess, which got announced the day before? I'm hoping for some upcoming RGs/MGs still.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The 3.0 has both the bazooka and the hammer. I think all of the MGs have had them.

Oh wait turns out I was totally wrong. The Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, and LED will be part of an expansion set for the 3.0, a la the Nu vKa's double fin funnels or the Strike vRM's sword/launcher parts.

The 3.0 itself will have two beam sabers, the bazooka, the rifle, and the shield.

The expansion will have the javelin, another bazooka, the hammer, a LED, and some waterslide decals.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This Web-exclusive thing Bandai has been pushing lately would be far less annoying if there was some viable way to order outside Japan. The grey-market pricing on that stuff is just unreal.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Red Bones posted:

Forget about the 3.0, this is looking amazing. They haven't announced every kit from the show yet have they? The HG Gold Frame, Zogok and Doben Wolf are the only ones I hadn't heard about before the show started. And the 3.0 I guess, which got announced the day before? I'm hoping for some upcoming RGs/MGs still.

Is that an MG 2.0 Kampfer?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Geara Doga, the Zaku of Char's Counterattack. They're both Izubuchi designs so I can understand the confusion

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Xy Hapu posted:

I finally finished my MG Tallgeese; I thought it was going to be a quick build as I usually don't do much more than snap the kit together, but it needed more painting and monkeying around with than I had expected. The underside of a lot of the armor pieces are exposed and ugly (mainly the elbows, knees, and shield), so I painted those to match the inner frame. I filed down the faceplate a bit to make the eyes look more like a visor than the sunglasses look it had before, and sprayed Plastidip on the waist and inner shoulder ball joints to tighten them up and give them more friction since they don't hold the weight of their respective components with much confidence. I also cut down the middle waist armor piece a bit, since it blocked almost all of the upper waist joint's movement.
Great build. I like the modifications you did to it too; practical and not at all too jarring. Makes me want to buy the MG Tallgeese.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Today I decided to practice doing some posing with my HG Gundam X, and ended up with this:

I'm not 100% happy with the picture I took (you can't see the legs, so you can't really see the right leg is bent much more steeply to account for the Satellite Cannon being out like that), but I think it's probably the best thing I've done yet.

Then I took a look at it and realized I hadn't done any panel lining at all. That's because this was one of my early kits (I think it was the fifth kit I ever built? It was before I got a gundam marker anyways), and I've been trying to keep these things the way they were so I can look back and see my progress. But, well, like all Gundam X kits this thing really needs to be panel lined. So I split it up and got to work. And while I was doing that, I noticed that I hadn't trimmed the nubs off the v-fin's tips either. It honestly doesn't look that bad either way, but I decided that if I was going to really touch up this kit I've got to do at least that. So I grabbed my knife, put the blade to the nub, pushed...

and cut off the tip of the fin. :downs:

I stared at the thing for a minute, briefly wondered if I could super glue the thing back on, then made another realization: I could work with this. I've never tried weathering a kit before, and right here was something I could mess around with without fear. So I grabbed my marker and got to work.

An hour later, and this was the result:

I tried to get it in the same pose as it was before, but looking at these two pictures there are some obvious differences. Not the least of which being that the sun's not shining anymore, so you can't see most of the ink. :negative:

EDIT: Looking at these again, it looks like most of the ink got rubbed off before I took the second photo. So I grimed it up again.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 17, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/05/p-bandai-hobby-online-shop-exclusive-mg_8442.html?m=1

gently caress, the Age-2 kit is bad but I still want this...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Couldn't you just paint your Age-2 white?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Couldn't you just paint your Age-2 white?

You say that like I have the skill and the patience to pull that off.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What was wrong with the Age-2?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Red Bones posted:

What was wrong with the Age-2?

That kit is way too floppy and not solid for such a simple transformer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heads up: GGInfinite are kind of jerks. I put in an order for something and a few days later it went out of stock but rather than admit it they said my credit card was declined and cancelled the order without telling me. Bank said the card was never tried and I basically only found out about this by checking the order status on their website, no email or anything.

First and now probably only time I'm giving them a try.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hmmm...i've had no problems with GGInfinite yet, but thanks for the heads up. Just curious, what's a good alternative Gunpla site for a North American just in case GGI gently caress me over as well?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gundamstoreandmore is my favorite store

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hobbywave is pretty nice, but you're going to have to buy in bulk to make up for the flat $12 shipping.

EDIT: This is not hard since they have a crazy huge selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
There's something i've been meaning to ask for a while now. Would anyone be really opposed if I posted news of upcoming third-party Gundam kits? I ask now because there's big news recently that Daban will be making PG Strike Freedom Gundam, and I figured there may be some people who would be interested in what's going on in the China brands. If its a problem however I understand.

• Locked thread