Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Go with The Dark Knight. It's better by far.

Then watch Avengers and flip your "brain" switch off and your "fun" switch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're both different flavors. The Dark Knight is probably better overall, but the Avengers is way more enjoyable. Although flipping your "brain" switch off definitely isn't required to like it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

They're both different flavors. The Dark Knight is probably better overall, but the Avengers is way more enjoyable. Although flipping your "brain" switch off definitely isn't required to like it.

Really? I found The Dark Knight much more enjoyable than the Avengers. I actually was on the edge of my seat. Actually my favorite part of the Avengers is probably the Helicarrier sequence, watching Iron Man fix poo poo. That scale of a huge Helicarrier and Iron Man zipping around trying to get it jumpstarted was epic.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
If they were ice cream, Dark Knight would be a deliciously amazing fancy artisan ice cream. Avengers would be tasty soft-serve with everything you love on it. Dark Knight is a richer experience, Avengers is a blast and isn't any less of a movie for it.

Ultimately, both films encapsulate well what their comic counterparts feel like. Avengers has more levity, Dark Knight runs a bit cooler. Of course if you really don't actually WANT to see either of them, then don't. But from the sound of things you might prefer Dark Knight, since it'll run closer to what Superman looks like it'll be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to be clear, you've seen Batman Begins, yeah? It's not necessary for TDK but it's definitely counted as part of the larger narrative.

Likewise for Avengers, from a plot perspective it helps to have at least seen Thor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Skip The Dark Knight and just watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Thanks for the advice. To be honest my favorite Batman movie (rose colored glasses) is probably Batman Returns. I didn't much like the new ones (weird, I know) but I didn't mind The Dark Knight - just didn't really prefer it.

I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies except for the Hulk, and Iron Man so I don't know if I should watch Thor first or any of the other ones? Honestly, my boss always talks like Bane and I don't "get it" whereas everyone else laughs, so maybe I should just watch Batman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Release order viewing works fine for the Marvel films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Meowbot posted:

I haven't seen "The Dark Knight"

Meowbot posted:

I didn't much like the new ones (weird, I know) but I didn't mind The Dark Knight - just didn't really prefer it.

What's going on here?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'd say Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are all but completely unnecessary in order to watch Avengers. And of the three remaining, Captain America is the least necessary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BrianWilly posted:

I'd say Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are all but completely unnecessary in order to watch Avengers. And of the three remaining, Captain America is the least necessary.

They may not give you the most necessary background for Avengers, but they are universally fun watches.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Meowbot posted:

I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies except for the Hulk, and Iron Man so I don't know if I should watch Thor first or any of the other ones? Honestly, my boss always talks like Bane and I don't "get it" whereas everyone else laughs, so maybe I should just watch Batman.

Man, I don't think it's going to get any funnier if you watch it. Here I though you were talking about just the Dark Knight, if you're talking about Rises it's good, but not the best. Then I'd just straight-up recommend Avengers over it because you're not getting anything different that the first two didn't give you, except the conclusion to Nolan's Batman story.

BrianWilly posted:

I like the Marvel movies, and I'd say if you have a basic understand of everyone's origins (and know that Loki appeared to die at the end of Thor [but really you know he didn't]), or even if you don't, you can just go right to the Avengers if you don't actually WANT to see any of the other movies. jivjov is right though, they at least can be fun.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just watch everything, damnit.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Meowbot posted:

Thanks for the advice. To be honest my favorite Batman movie (rose colored glasses) is probably Batman Returns. I didn't much like the new ones (weird, I know) but I didn't mind The Dark Knight - just didn't really prefer it.

You're objectively correct. Batman Returns is the best Batman movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Please don't watch Iron Man 2.

Also, please don't tell other people to watch Iron Man 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Please don't watch Iron Man 2.

Also, please don't tell other people to watch Iron Man 2.

Why not? It's one of the more fun of the MCU movies. Rockwell is a delight, Rourke is hilarious, and it's overall a great film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Iron Man 2 was like 4 hours long and all I remember is the first fight at Monaco, how badly they deus ex'd the plot to make Tony and his father completely blameless, Bill O'Reilly's cameo, and the one scene where Black Widow knocks the gently caress out of an entire base of guys. Everything else is just a blur of S.H.I.E.L.D. effluent and cartoon Iron Man mowing down a hundred drones for ten minutes straight with no actual sense of urgency of gravity.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah seriously. Rourke is wasted in that movie and that ended up just being a rehash of the boss fight from the first movie. The whole 'Tony is dying' thing was loving dumb and I can't believe it was resolved with a magic hidden pattern left by Tony's dad decades ago. Don't forget how the movie puts the brakes on halfway through to advertise Avengers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I still don't understand the "stopped to advertise Avengers" complaints. That's kinda the point of the MCU. It's a shared universe. Nick Fury even called it out "you're part of a bigger universe now". Tony's problems are not the only problems going on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It completely breaks the flow of the narrative which is, in a movie, a pretty big deal. I mean if you watch these movies just to see your favorite toys being played with then I guess you'd love the whole interruption because it just means more cameos by your favorite action figures.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

It completely breaks the flow of the narrative which is, in a movie, a pretty big deal. I mean if you watch these movies just to see your favorite toys being played with then I guess you'd love the whole interruption because it just means more cameos by your favorite action figures.

No lie, if I could get an Agent Coulson action figure with a decent Clark Gregg face sculpt, I'd be all over that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I still don't understand the "stopped to advertise Avengers" complaints. That's kinda the point of the MCU. It's a shared universe. Nick Fury even called it out "you're part of a bigger universe now". Tony's problems are not the only problems going on.

Iron Man 2 is so dedicated to being a trailer for the avengers that it's forgotten to be a movie on its own.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A human heart posted:

Iron Man 2 is so dedicated to being a trailer for the avengers that it's forgotten to be a movie on its own.

Except for the whole Iron Man centric story arc. I'm starting to think you haven't actually watched Iron Man 2 recently and are just parroting back complaints like an echo chamber.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's a pretty damning article from Cinemablend that shows Favreau and Downey were upset with Marvel for rushing Iron Man 2 into production and making an infomercial for Avengers.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

There's numerous interviews and articles out there that show Favreau and Downey were upset with Marvel for rushing Iron Man 2 into production and making an infomercial for Avengers.

And yet it still had its own story to tell and did it well, despite interference from above.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Joe Don Baker posted:

There's numerous articles out there that show Favreau and Downey were upset with Marvel for rushing Iron Man 2 into production and making an infomercial for Avengers.

Which isn't even considering Rourke's comments on the matter. Iron Man 2's development was a mess of editorial meddling and it shows. The 'Iron Man centric' story is rushed, self-confused with where it's headed and ends up a knotted, snarled mess of rehased ideas and pointless beats.

The plotline with Tony's father goes nowhere, tells us nothing and simply ends up without any tension or drama, and likewise, Rourke is narratively absent from Stark's troubles through from Monaco until the end of the film, where he's hastily defeated. Likewise, Jackson's inclusion does nothing for the film itself and just ends up a pointless detour in a movie rife with them. What makes it even worse is that it's almost entirely meaningless to the events of The Avengers as well.

jivjov posted:

And yet it still had its own story to tell and did it well, despite interference from above.

Nuh-uh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Please tell us how it told the story well. I'm not sure how you can say that after everything that's just been pointed out. I just don't understand how you can enjoy and gobble up all this poo poo that Marvel tends to put out.

Edit: Edited to be less of a jerk.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

Please tell us how it told the story well. I'm not sure how you can say that after everything that's just been pointed out. I really don't want to make this personal, but man, your posting in the comic movie threads clearly shows you just gobble all this dumb poo poo up no matter what is presented to you.

I really think we'll have to agree to disagree. I liked Iron Man 2. Its one of my favorite MCU movies. I get the message that a lot of other people think that its crap, and I disagree. But I'm not a professional film critic. I don't have to vocabulary to sit down and hash it out in a way that will satisfy anyone but myself. I enjoy a good shlock-y action movie, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'm the one guy here than really likes the Avengers tie-ins, and that's okay. Not every movie will please every viewer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

I really think we'll have to agree to disagree. I liked Iron Man 2. Its one of my favorite MCU movies. I get the message that a lot of other people think that its crap, and I disagree. But I'm not a professional film critic. I don't have to vocabulary to sit down and hash it out in a way that will satisfy anyone but myself.

Maybe you shouldn't throw out insults and imply that people critiquing it are 'parroting back complaints like an echo-chamber' then? Christ, guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

Maybe you shouldn't throw out insults and imply that people critiquing it are 'parroting back complaints like an echo-chamber' then? Christ, guy.

Fair enough. Its not just this community, I'm just tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again, and I never seem to see the justifications behind it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The best Marvel movies are the two Hulk movies, by the way.

jivjov posted:

Fair enough. Its not just this community, I'm just tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again, and I never seem to see the justifications behind it.

I don't like to read criticism of comic book movies because it's usually just angry nerds, but Iron Man 2 is a pretty confusing movie with a lot of dangling threads and hanging chads, if you catch my drift (my drift is that the plot is bad.) Can you explain to me in one sentence the plot of the movie? I'll allow you two commas.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 16, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Personally, I think the best is easily Thor, but I do love Ang Lee's Hulk and much of the Norton/Leterrier Hulk film too. Some of the editing and camera-work in the early stages of that film are fantastic and I really like Norton's Banner.

I think the CGI really drags it down, though. Especially during the middle sequences in broad daylight.

Neowyrm posted:

A man who has given himself over to the hilarious and fun idea of fighting crime has found out that he is dying and simultaneously has to contend with the son of his father's partner who wants to kill him to kill the legacy that his father started.

Admirable, but not quite accurate and doesn't encapsulate a lot of the plot.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 16, 2013

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

scary ghost dog posted:

I don't like to read criticism of comic book movies because it's usually just angry nerds, but Iron Man 2 is a pretty confusing movie with a lot of dangling threads and hanging chads, if you catch my drift (my drift is that the plot is bad.) Can you explain to me in one sentence the plot of the movie? I'll allow you two commas.

A man who has given himself over to the hilarious and fun idea of fighting crime has found out that he is dying and simultaneously has to contend with the son of his father's partner who wants to kill him to kill the legacy that his father started.

edit: I know I'm butting in but I really wanted to see if I could do it.

edit2: you were probably not looking for a synopsis

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

scary ghost dog posted:

Tony faces both down his mortality and his memories and opinion of his father when a previously unknown man from his past teams up with a rival businessman to ruin the Stark name.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

with all the licencing, i'm just glad a show like super hero squad got made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFFGK1qysYs

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Tony faces both down his mortality and his memories and opinion of his father when a previously unknown man from his past teams up with a rival businessman to ruin the Stark name.

You've synopsised a film that doesn't also deal with Tony's first steps in joining an elite, secretive fighting force or his split with the American military.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My favourite Marvel film is Captain America because it felt like a comic book from the second world war and it hit that tone beautifully. It just worked for me, everything about the protagonist and the antagonists and the plot just came together really well in this weird retro propaganda piece that was really fun to watch. It was dumb fun like most of the marvel films are but it was a distinct kind of dumb fun, and that really stuck with me.

I found Thor just very disappointing. It jumped between a boring setting and an interesting one that didn't really get fleshed out enough, and I came in expecting a kind of funny, cheesy fish out of water movie with action bits because that is what the trailer told me and it wasn't that, it was just another comic book movie. The plot is also just really basic and doesn't help with the flaws of the movie or really remain interesting at all. I mean the space asgard setting was a cool thing it had going for it but then it squandered that by spending at least half of its runtime in a desert, and the trailer for Thor 2 promises a big human city being destroyed (was it london? I can't remember) which is making me worry that it'll be more of the same.

Why didn't they make Thor 2 the space opera world-building movie instead of Guardians? I'd be down for space viking star wars.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Given how people have repeatedly gone into detail with the problems and you still don't see them, I am going to guess the problem isn't with the community. That and the the fact you admitted to enjoying lovely movies.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Joe Don Baker posted:

Given how people have repeatedly gone into detail with the problems and you still don't see them, I am going to guess the problem isn't with the community. That and the the fact you admitted to enjoying lovely movies.

Not lovely movies, necessarily, just not particularly brainful ones. They're romps.
If you come out of a cinema feeling good about the film you've just seen, as jivjov and I both apparently have for Iron Man 2 and other ones, it was a good, effective piece of cinema. Obviously, people have different experiences with films, but I'd say arguably, on the whole, Iron Man 2 was an effective piece of cinema. It got decent reviews, and a lot of people loved it, and it had Robert Downey Jr. in it.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

You've synopsised a film that doesn't also deal with Tony's first steps in joining an elite, secretive fighting force or his split with the American military.

I would argue that his first steps of joining the Avengers doesn't have enough of a presence in this film to warrant mention in a single-sentence summary. That's more a sequel-hook that pays off in Avengers.

• Locked thread