Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Grand Finals just about to start. ChrisG (Black Adam :swoon:) v. CD Jr. (Supes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ChrisG just looks like a guy getting by on his general fighting game skill, whereas CD Jr. has invested time in learning this particular game. That might just say more about how monstrously good ChrisG is at fighting games in general than anything, though.

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

ChrisG just looks like a guy getting by on his general fighting game skill, whereas CD Jr. has invested time in learning this particular game. That might just say more about how monstrously good ChrisG is at fighting games in general than anything, though.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Chris G is really good but he makes a ton of strange mistakes. It really does look like someone who knows fighting games but not Injustice.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
66% superman combo

Black Adam: My power equals yours!

Superman: No one's does!

That's comedy, folks.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Ripped from the headlines: CD Jr. with 66% combos happening on stream :stare:

E:FB :negative:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

WNF at Super Arcade is starting Injustice: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Thanks for posting the streams everyone, please continue doing so. I fuckin' love this poo poo.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm no pro player, but superman seems to be completely ridiculous with tons of great strengths and no visible weaknesses.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

This was the best part of Infinite Crisis, and neatly echoed Superman punching a hole in time eight years prior in DC 1,000,000. It was everything else that sucked about Infinite Crisis.

Sure, it echoed it the same way a mentally deficient's crayon drawings echo a Manet.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Wow, Tyrant lost.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
b:l's Black Adam is nuts, I'm picking up the character after watching that.

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Black Adam seems crazy. Decent projectile, super hard to zone, huge damage combos, and probably the best wakeup attack in the game. I'd be surprised if there's many characters better than him.

edit: And traps, cause why not?

sponsz fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 16, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

WNF is just crazy. It's cool to see so many different communities coming together for Injustice, especially a lot of Tekken guys.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Liar Lyre posted:

WNF is just crazy. It's cool to see so many different communities coming together for Injustice, especially a lot of Tekken guys.

That's what normally happens when a new game comes out.

By a couple months after Evo it will probably just be the MK people still playing it competitively.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That's what normally happens when a new game comes out.

By a couple months after Evo it will probably just be the MK people still playing it competitively.

I dunno man. It's getting a lot of praise and I could see it being on par with SF4 or Marvel, with TTT2 at the very least.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Liar Lyre posted:

I dunno man. It's getting a lot of praise and I could see it being on par with SF4 or Marvel, with TTT2 at the very least.

Maybe Tekken or KoF (in the US). Almost certainly above P4A or other anime fighters, but I don't think it will come close to SF4 or Marvel. We'll see I guess. I just remember when people were saying the same things about Skullgirls (although that was before the game even came out).

Edit: The most annoying thing about watching Aris play Deathstroke in tournaments is the fact he plays him exactly like people online do. He doesn't even try to combo. I guess do it if it works, but it's boring to watch.

Wolfkrone has been playing Deathstroke on Arturo's stream, and it is a lot more fun to watch because he'll go in and knows combos. Some of DS's combos look like a huge hassle to pull off.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 16, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Edit: The most annoying thing about watching Aris play Deathstroke in tournaments is the fact he plays him exactly like people online do. He doesn't even try to combo. I guess do it if it works, but it's boring to watch.

Aaaand he just got 2-0'd into Loser. Justice is done :woop:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Okay, I'm starting to look for another character again so I decided to try GA in training.

Is the timing on GA's combos super tight, or are Grundy's combos overly easy? Because I can't get the timing for GA at all. I guess it's one of the things where just keep trying over and over and it will click, but it just feels so much harder than Grundy.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The fact that Hawkgirl doesn't get an air dash is bullshit. Killer Frost gets one, but not the character with wings? At least let me Wing Dodge in the air, goddamn.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Wolfkrone has been playing Deathstroke on Arturo's stream, and it is a lot more fun to watch because he'll go in and knows combos. Some of DS's combos look like a huge hassle to pull off.

If people don't want to block, want to keep jumping, and can't adapt, they are going to get zoned the gently caress out. Aris is just playing to the strengths of his character. To say he doesn't try to combo is ridiculous. He'll use a combo whenever he gets the chance up close. Thing is, he usually doesn't need to combo because he's so good with his spacing and projectiles that people hardly get near him.

The bit I've seen Wolfkrone play, he's the one that plays more like a random online warrior. J3's all over the place, bad machine guns, and wake up sword twirls and flips. He's new to the game, but still, calling him more entertaining than Aris is a pretty big stretch, in my opinion.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

McSpanky posted:

Sure, it echoed it the same way a mentally deficient's crayon drawings echo a Manet.

Nah it's great, it's both a perfectly Morrisonian example of superheroes directly loving with the 4th wall, and it served to help realize Morrison's concept of Hypertime in the DCU by saying, "gently caress it, we're bringing back the multiverse, deal with it continuity wads". However bad the rest of IC was, that one panel where reality splinters into reflections of pre and post-Zero Hour Legion and Morrison's DP owns.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I think Street Fighter and MvC have a historical legacy that will always make them the top-tier fighting games for the competitive community. In the general public, at least in America, I suspect games like Mortal Kombat might actually be more popular, but I don't have anything to base that on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Equilibrium posted:

perfectly Morrisonian

Well, at least you got that right. :barf:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Is the timing on GA's combos super tight, or are Grundy's combos overly easy? Because I can't get the timing for GA at all. I guess it's one of the things where just keep trying over and over and it will click, but it just feels so much harder than Grundy.

While I wouldn't say GA stuff is overly hard(hard is like, Black Adam b23 combos that go into standing 1), yeah Grundy's stuff is among the easiest in the game.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Good games tonight Calamity! gently caress Atlantis. Ferris all day.

And don't ask me how I was able to tech all your throw attempts. I was just on it tonight, I guess.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Arikado posted:

If people don't want to block, want to keep jumping, and can't adapt, they are going to get zoned the gently caress out. Aris is just playing to the strengths of his character. To say he doesn't try to combo is ridiculous. He'll use a combo whenever he gets the chance up close. Thing is, he usually doesn't need to combo because he's so good with his spacing and projectiles that people hardly get near him.

He almost never does any combos over 6 hits that I've seen. I'm not judging him for playing by zoning almost entirely, and I'm pretty sure I was clear in saying I didn't hold that against him. I was just saying it's boring to watch. The statement about him being like random XBL people was because he only zones, he doesn't even attempt to fight in close, perhaps I haven't seen him play enough.

And I don't think you've seen Wolfkrone play too much if all you've seen him do is spam j3. He does need to lay off the wake up df3 though.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AndyElusive posted:

Good games tonight Calamity! gently caress Atlantis. Ferris all day.

And don't ask me how I was able to tech all your throw attempts. I was just on it tonight, I guess.

Good games man, you're a machine. Playing with you and the other goons is seriously the best thing, it makes doing regular player matches easymode the vast majority of the time. People compliment my Flash left and right and then yall humble the poo poo out of me.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Is there a list online of what type of characters each of them are? (Grappler, zoner, etc) cause I'm not well ersed or good enough to figure it out myself yet. Been trying out some other characters than Doomsday and so far I enjoy Nightwing and Superman but I just have also found that Superman feels so dang cheap like Batman does.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Interstellar Owl posted:

Is there a list online of what type of characters each of them are? (Grappler, zoner, etc) cause I'm not well ersed or good enough to figure it out myself yet. Been trying out some other characters than Doomsday and so far I enjoy Nightwing and Superman but I just have also found that Superman feels so dang cheap like Batman does.

I posted this image in the earlier thread

I mostly agree with it, but I would put WW as Rushdown Hybrid and Joker as a setup character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Evil Canadian posted:

I posted this image in the earlier thread

I mostly agree with it, but I would put WW as Rushdown Hybrid and Joker as a setup character.

:mad: And I went through the trouble of cleaning it up for you.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

:mad: And I went through the trouble of cleaning it up for you.

I don't know where I saved that image to so I just went with the one I know :smith:

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Wow. That's really helpful. Much appreciated. Sorry for the thousand questions constantly in this thread but I'm really enjoying this game but I wanna get better. I assume hybrid is a combo of zoner/rushdown but what are zondr and rushdown hybrids?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Attn: Jmcrofts (and anyone else interested in Bane):

There's some really good Bane gameplay from a recent tournament in Europe. It's definitely teaching me some things I didn't know: http://testyourmight.com/threads/bane-footage-from-coliseum-games.32407/

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Attn: Jmcrofts (and anyone else interested in Bane):

There's some really good Bane gameplay from a recent tournament in Europe. It's definitely teaching me some things I didn't know: http://testyourmight.com/threads/bane-footage-from-coliseum-games.32407/

As a Bane player also these videos are really good watching, though as the guys brother goes on to say the guys he beats aren't too familiar with the matchup and thus it's a bit of a false impression of Bane's power.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
SN64, you ever try ticking with bane's cr.2 xx command throw? If they block they get thrown, if it hits the throw whiffs but you have time to meaty them after. Seems pretty good.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

SN64, you ever try ticking with bane's cr.2 xx command throw? If they block they get thrown, if it hits the throw whiffs but you have time to meaty them after. Seems pretty good.

Nope, I've stayed pretty true to my word of not really using him anymore. My worry with that setup is that I would think there'd be enough time to backdash or maybe even jump out of it, but I can try it out later to see.

Anyway, addressing Fellblade's post, I didn't link those videos as "oh hey look a Bane won some games I guess he's not so bad" but more for the purpose of looking at some of the strategies and setups he was using. Things that jumped out at me off the top of my head:

- Dash crossover after bf1 into b2 attempt.
- Corner combo into bf2~MB, forward dash, f3. If the opponent is crouching, the f3 crosses up.
- General smart use of venomed command grab in situations where he felt the opponent would try to poke. This in particular was something I never got quite good at.
- He was doing b23 b1 123 XX special in corner combos, but I'm not sure whether that's actually more damage or not. I might test that out.

To go along with that corner gimmick, I also read about another one on TYM where you end a corner combo in db2~MB and the ensuing venomed command grab is inescapable except by armored moves or super, which sounds like a pretty good gain for the cost.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Sorry if my post sounded like a criticism, it wasn't. I was planning on posting those videos here myself if nobody else had.

Thanks for the list of tech as well, I caught the crossup corner trick but missed the dash required to make it work (hence my awful flailing around in training mode trying to copy it). Those videos and the post in the thread really inspired me to stick with bane despite my run-ins with batmans and deathstrokes online.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For anyone interested, the Red Son skins are gonna be available for purchase next week.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
What's the correct way of dealing with Ares' teleport shenanigans? It seems like he has a mixup afterwards with an unblockable, low or throw. I was getting worked by a dude abusing this lastnight, and when I get home I'd like to hit up the training room to work on a counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For anyone interested, the Red Son skins are gonna be available for purchase next week.

gently caress Yeah! I've been oogling commie Superman for weeks now

• Locked thread