Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

"Portugal is not a small country"
Fascist propaganda from before the 2nd World War, overlaying Portuguese colonies over Europe to show how big and important we were.

Edit: Fixed link, also I enjoy how getting eastwards the drawer just went "gently caress it" and did not even bother coloring the Black Sea or adding any kind of detail.

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

"Portugal is not a small country"
Fascist propaganda from before the 2nd World War, overlaying Portuguese colonies over Europe to show how big and important we were.

Unline other mainland colonies, Algeria was an integral part of France from 1848 to its independence in 1962:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
I forgot to mention, that was the case for the Portuguese colonies as well - they were actually considered as "Ultramarine provinces".

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Riso posted:

Isn't it obvious? It was full of Mexicans.
Maybe that has something to do with it, but the 1850 census only shows 15 Mexicans living there, and if that were the case you might expect some bigger numbers in Bexar and Nacodoches.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I recognize most of those symbols but what the hell is the Argentine one?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

I love how both "Abrahamic" and "Jewish" are there. Was he going to put Christianity and Islam but then changed his mind?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amarkov posted:

I love how both "Abrahamic" and "Jewish" are there. Was he going to put Christianity and Islam but then changed his mind?

Both are in there (under Mediterranean and Persian (:psyduck: ) respectively).

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And apparently the Nart saga are tales told in the North Caucasus, so he's waaaaaay off.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I recognize most of those symbols but what the hell is the Argentine one?
Hell if I know, I was too distracted by the literal voodoo doll for the Caribbean ones.

Amarkov posted:

I was never good at this jesus poo poo but weren't there a bunch of Abrahamic faiths predating formal Judaism? Vaguely remember that. Mostly know about N-European, Greek, Roman and Chinese mythology myself.
And the Sami legends being in the same group as the Finnish and norse ones. :psyduck:

Still, a pretty interesting map.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't want no Vulcans or Minbari making GBS threads up my neighbourhood.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hell if I know, I was too distracted by the literal voodoo doll for the Caribbean ones.
I was never good at this jesus poo poo but weren't there a bunch of Abrahamic faiths predating formal Judaism? Vaguely remember that. Mostly know about N-European, Greek, Roman and Chinese mythology myself.
And the Sami legends being in the same group as the Finnish and norse ones. :psyduck:

Still, a pretty interesting map.

I also know Chinese mythology, but also Japanese and Mongolian, so why in the living hell are they all grouped together? Tengriism is nothing like the other two at all, and Chinese and Japanese mythology despite having some shared characteristics due to centuries of cultural exchange are fairly different at their core too. I don't know much about Korean mythology, but if it's as related as the rest are, it probably doesn't belong there either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sorry this isn't a map, I hope no-one minds terribly :ohdear: I think it fits in this thread and I found it amusing anyway:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sorry this isn't a map, I hope no-one minds terribly :ohdear: I think it fits in this thread and I found it amusing anyway:

So the French think they are both most and least arrogant? (Also everybody thinks they are the most compassionate.)

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

prefect posted:

So the French think they are both most and least arrogant? (Also everybody thinks they are the most compassionate.)

Considering the French people aren't a monolithic blob, it's almost as if these were different French people having different opinions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Considering the French people aren't a monolithic blob, it's almost as if these were different French people having different opinions.

So they asked different questions from different people?

EDIT: I don't know if it's based on surveys or some corpus of text.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 16, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skeleton Jelly posted:

I just thought it was amusing. :shrug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A political map where america is one of the good guys. :monocle:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Peanut President posted:

Lets see the US broken down by state/county :getin:

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why does Greece seem to dislike Germany so much?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Dapper Man posted:

I'd assume they're blamed for the current economic situation.

I like that every nation named itself as most compassionate, and that the British/French enmity continues to this day. It's interesting that the Czechs think the Slovaks are the least arrogant - I guess sharing a nation with a culture helps to break barriers (sometimes).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

A Dapper Man posted:

They've been after war reparations from Germany for decades. See also the EU bailout and economic demands made by Merkel, etc...

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I'd assume they're blamed for the current economic situation.

I like that every nation named itself as most compassionate, and that the British/French enmity continues to this day. It's interesting that the Czechs think the Slovaks are the least arrogant - I guess sharing a nation with a culture helps to break barriers (sometimes).

Greek unemployment is huge, with the last youth unemployment rate a staggering 64%. Germany has pushed for austerity measures that have cut social services in exchange for bailing out Greek debt which was/is very unpopular with the people of Greece.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jerry Cotton posted:

Farage commented on it:

"Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, cracked to the outlet: “I am delighted that the Eurocrats have failed to crush national stereotyping, which is what makes Europe a great continent."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/french-france-most-arrogant-country_n_3274231.html?utm_hp_ref=world

Goddamn Eurocrats trying to stop generalizations :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Farage commented on it:

"Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, cracked to the outlet: “I am delighted that the Eurocrats have failed to crush national stereotyping, which is what makes Europe a great continent."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/french-france-most-arrogant-country_n_3274231.html?utm_hp_ref=world

Read that as eurocats and I think I prefer it that way :3:

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?

Kurtofan posted:

Farage commented on it:

Farage goes to Bulgaria to see if his immigration fears are just, ends at a gypsy party drinking rakia. Looks like a cool dude, you brits should elect him.

http://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-immigration-bulgaria-romania-video

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

In the US we condition people to lie when answering questions like that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Elim Garak posted:

Greek unemployment is huge, with the last youth unemployment rate a staggering 64%. Germany has pushed for austerity measures that have cut social services in exchange for bailing out Greek debt which was/is very unpopular with the people of Greece.

Firstly it's not Germany alone, and secondly it is the Greek politicians choice to cut things that mostly hurt the people, instead of them and their crook friends.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Riso posted:

Firstly it's not Germany alone, and secondly it is the Greek politicians choice to cut things that mostly hurt the people, instead of them and their crook friends.

Maybe it's just the way the news reports these things, but it sounds like Germany runs the EU and is in charge of dictating terms that people have to follow in order to get their economies bailed out.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Riso posted:

That's true, and some Greek politicians have suffered for it (e.g. Papandreou) but there are a lot of Greek people who blame Germany.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prefect posted:

Maybe it's just the way the news reports these things, but it sounds like Germany runs the EU and is in charge of dictating terms that people have to follow in order to get their economies bailed out.

You're confusing Germany with the ECB and IMF :v:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Peanut President posted:

A political map that shows Americans can identify a taboo response to a question and answer it differently despite their prejudices.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

What's up with Hong Kong?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Quit ruining it you nerds.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Gail Wynand posted:

They probably consider mainlanders to be of different race or something because oh boy do they hate mainlanders.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gail Wynand posted:

Hong Kongers are very prejudiced against Southeast Asians and Filipinos who make up the underclass of Hong Kong. Hong Kongers are also pretty prejudice against Mainland Chinese as well. This is not true for every Hong Konger but you can see it pretty openly in the media.

Britain almost took the Zhoushan Archipelago, which had an established port, in the First Opium War but stuck with Hong Kong for a number of reasons. I would imagine that if they had taken Zhoushan, Britain would have lost it much earlier than 1997 due its greater strategic location.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 16, 2013

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Aren't mainland Chinese kind of prejudiced against people from HK as well? Talking to my professors, the guys from HK say that they catch guff from their mainland colleagues. Hell, one guy even said one of the Indian professors derides him for being Westernized.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reagan posted:

Aren't mainland Chinese kind of prejudiced against people from HK as well? Talking to my professors, the guys from HK say that they catch guff from their mainland colleagues. Hell, one guy even said one of the Indian professors derides him for being Westernized.

Maybe in southern China but I think overall it's just "that place that's Chinese but we need a passport to go to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

It's sort of surprising to me that France is so much more racist than the rest of western Europe, and is even higher than places in central and Eastern Europe like Hungary where genuine fascists have a fairly strong presence politically. I'm also surprised to see Japan so low compared not just to the rest of Asia but worldwide. And what's going on with Venezuela compared to the rest of South America?

For content, here's some background for the overlapping irredentist nationalist claims in the Balkans and Central Europe that lead some people in places like Hungary to embrace fascist ideology.

First an ethnographic map of pre-WWI Hungary (this one excludes Croatia, which while technically a part of Hungary and still claimed today to be part of "Greater Hungary" by Hungarian nationalists was also considered a separate kingdom):

Hungary's territorial losses at the end of WWI have already been covered in this thread so I won't post a map of those, suffice it to say that pretty much anything that's not in that big central red blob of ethnic Hungarians, and a fair amount around the edges that is, went to Romania, Austria, or the newly independent states of Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia. Then WWII started, Hungary sided with the Germans and as a reward for that decision they were allowed to recoup some of their losses, which is why WWII era hungary looks like this:

That's pre- and post-war Hungary in yellow with wartime territorial gains in green. The long eastern extension of is the northern half of Transylvania, a predominantly Romanian region with a large Hungarian minority particularly centered at the far eastern tip where the Szekelys, a people who are depending on who you ask either just plain Hungarians but with a slightly distinct regional culture or a separate but related ethnic group. The Szekelys incidentally had their own autonomous region within communist Romania from 1952 to 1968 when the constitution was changed making such autonomous areas illegal. Which brings us to Romania's own irredentist claims:

Romanian nationalists' expansionist dreams tend to focus on Moldova since the acquisition of Transylvania at the end of WWI more or less completed the acquisition of territory populated by ethnic Romanians in that direction. This ethnographic map of Romania as it stood in 1930 is about equivalent to most irredentist claims I've seen, though there are a few that want to expand as far as the Southern Bug River in central Ukraine on the basis of territorial gains by German allied Romania during WWII. Incidentally that's always seemed sort of odd to me, both Romania and Hungary allied themselves with Nazi Germany and gained territory as a reward but Romania was forced to sacrifice a substantial part of Transylvania, a region that was extremely important to Romanian nationalists, to Hungary in exchange for a bit of territory with very little ethnic Romanian population in the middle of Ukraine. I can definitely see why the Hungarians were alright with that deal but I would have expected the Romanians to put up more of a fight.

At any rate, moving west a bit we come to the two conflicting nationalist claims that probably got the most press in the last 20 years or so, those of Serbia and Croatia. First off, this is a map of speakers of the Stokavian dialects of what was at the time known as the Serbo-Croatian language but is nowadays generally referred to as the three or four separate languages of Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and (sometimes) Montenegrin. This is important because early Serbian nationalist Vuk Karadzic considered this dialect to be the defining characteristic of Serbian nationality and thus, regardless of the more traditional religious differentiation (generally speaking Serbs are Orthodox, Croats are Catholic, and Bosniaks are Muslim)or the self identification of the individual speakers. It also lines up pretty well with what supporters of a Greater Serbia claim to be their ideal borders:

As you can see by this definition all of Montenegro and Bosnia, as well as most of Croatia would be Serbian. Of course there are substantial problems with that map, chiefly that Catholic and Muslim speakers of those dialects do not consider themselves Serbs and in fact have their own nationalist aspirations, though generally not quite so grandiose. Croatian nationalists tend to desire control over either the ethnic Croatian regions of Bosnia or of all of Bosnia, which they held during WWII when Croatian fascists allied with the Axis to set up their own state including most of what we currently think of as Croatia (though a number of islands and coastal regions were ceded to Italy) as well as all of Bosnia and a substantial region of Vojvodina as seen here:

As for the Bosniaks, for the most part even the hardcore nationalists are realistic enough to realize that, beset as they are by Serbian and Croatian irredentists both in Serbia and Croatia as well as in the Serbian and Croatian communities of Bosnia, and independent Bosnian state is more or less the best they can hope for but there are a few that harbor ambitions on the Sandzak, a region that straddles the border between Serbia and Montenegro and which is fairly heavily populated by Muslims, most of which identify as Bosniaks, though some use the old Yugoslav census identity of "Muslims by nationality."

Suffice it to say that it's a complicated region.