Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khan was a genetic mish-mash anyway, my issue is that they changed his apparent ethnicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I would argue that it's not "obliviously dismissing" whitewashing, but acknowledging a fundamental point. I'll spoiler it, just in the event that it leads to unwanted revelations:

Khan was never about his race or nationality. He was named after a friend of Roddenberry's that he was trying to catch up with. His nationality made so little impact that he was played by person of a completely different nationality. And above all that, we're talking about a guy whose whole shtick is that he's genetically engineered.

The issue at hand has the weight and impact of "Starbuck can't be a female, because... um...".

EDIT: Just realized something cool: Khan tells Spock he can't break a rule, much less break a bone. During their fight, Spock loving breaks Khan's arm.

Oh, and something else I kind of liked: Khan ends the film in cyro, smiling. Why? Because he's found that his family isn't dead, and being in cyro with them is better than being alone and awake. :unsmith:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 16, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I don't see how or why, the end result is the same; the same ethnic minority being shafted.

Gonna pull up an exchange from a while back to address this general hair-splitting sentiment about getting the race/ethnicity exactly 100% right or else an equal offense has been committed:

The Warszawa posted:

I feel like what you're saying is the same as trying to say that Uhura was "brownwashed" because an African-American actress's role was cast with a black Dominican-Puerto Rican actress, in that it fundamentally fails to recognize that as far as Hollywood is concerned, there's "white" and "other." The fact is, there are precious few major roles of color in modern Hollywood - more than there used to be, but still not a whole lot - and while having a minority of one group play a minority of another group isn't the vanguard of thoughtful consideration of race and ethnicity in filmmaking, it's a drat sight better than turning one of the most iconic roles in the franchise white. "Space Seed" was 46 years ago and Wrath of Khan was 31 - regression from that isn't particularly acceptable.

In other words, I'm not entirely convinced anyone making your argument is really giving a poo poo about the moral heart of the issue at hand, you seem to be rules-lawyering just to win and make the other person shut up.

(Someone will no doubt retort that I don't care about the issue either, and I just want to denigrate the film in a way that gives me a moral high horse to shield me from criticism. I don't need that, because its flaws are quite apparent aside and without this particular issue taken into consideration. I simply don't wish to discuss them myself, others are doing that just fine.)

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 16, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Gonna pull up an exchange from a while back to address this general hair-splitting sentiment about getting the race/ethnicity exactly 100% right or else an equal offense has been committed:

In other words, I'm not entirely convinced anyone making your argument is really giving a poo poo about the ethical heart of the issue at hand, you seem to be rules-lawyering just to win and make the other person shut up.

I don't think you care at all and just want to call people who like the movie racist.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's a very effective way of not addressing what I said at all. I'm not making an 'argument', I'm certainly not defending Cumberbatch's casting. I'm asking you something. I respect that you, and others, think that a minority recieiving the role over a caucasian actor is preferable, but I don't accept that in a matter of this sort there are varying degrees of 'offensiveness'. Functionally, there's no difference for the people who 'should' have been cast for the role, so it seems pretty self-defeating to argue in favour of correct representation and then inarguably settle for 'less'. Don't you agree? If not, why? Simply because it's 'less offensive', if we accept that there are varying standards?

I don't agree with that outlook, I think if you're going to argue for minorities to be considered first and foremost for roles that the character shares ethnicity with them, then you should do it in every event, surely?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

I don't think you care at all and just want to call people who like the movie racist.

As expected. And I don't think anyone who still likes the film after being confronted with this problem are racist, I just think they're willfully ignorant because it's easier than engaging uncomfortable social issues raised by the production of something they enjoy. Hell, I'm sure I've done it before, everyone has (just look at what happens every time Roman Polanski gets brought up) -- but at least I haven't done it here and now, with this issue slapping me in the face after the film producers went out of their way to hide it and avoid exactly this discussion from happening.

Dan Didio posted:

That's a very effective way of not addressing what I said at all. I'm not making an 'argument'. I respect that you, and others, think that a minority recieiving the role over a caucasian actor is preferable, but I don't accept that in a matter of this sort there are varying degrees of 'offensiveness'. Functionally, there's no difference for the people who 'should' have been cast for the role, so it seems pretty self-defeating to argue in favour of correct representation and then inarguably settle for 'less'.

Well, what is being settled for? Some examples given occurred in the past and we have no choice but to "settle" because all the willpower in the universe can't change what already happened original Khan, and some I understand are more acceptable from my best understanding of the situation as given by the most directly affected groups (John Cho as Sulu). I admit a far from comprehensive understanding of Korean-Japanese relations on the issue of Hollywood casting though, if anyone can speak more accurately to it I'd love to hear more.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 16, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

As expected. And I don't think anyone who still likes the film after being confronted with this problem are racist, I just think they're willfully ignorant because it's easier than engaging uncomfortable social issues raised by the production of something they enjoy. Hell, I'm sure I've done it before, everyone has (just look at what happens every time Roman Polanski gets brought up) -- but at least I haven't done it here and now, with this issue slapping me in the face after the film producers went out of their way to hide it and avoid exactly this discussion from happening.

Do you think that casting minorities is more important than casting good actors? Because Benedict Cumberbatch loving destroyed the role. He's incredible in the movie.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 16, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Well, what is being settled for?

An actor that doesn't fit the character's race or ethnicity or any other similar criteria.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Well, what is being settled for? Some examples given occurred in the past and we have no choice but to "settle" because all the willpower in the universe can't change what already happened original Khan, and some I understand are more acceptable from my best understanding of the situation as given by the most directly affected groups (John Cho as Sulu). I admit a far from comprehensive understanding of Korean-Japanese relations on the issue of Hollywood casting though, if anyone can speak more accurately to it I'd love to hear more.

I don't think you have a comprehensive understanding of any race's relations with Hollywood except white people's. India doesn't really need representation here; I'm sure you've heard of Bollywood?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

An actor that doesn't fit the character's race or ethnicity or any other similar criteria.

Isn't casting the most engaging, compelling actor for an antagonist isn't the primary criteria? There is no obligation to cast a character a certain way because of what take the earlier incarnation chose.

For me, Cumberbatch out-Khaned Ricardo Montalban.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

Do you think Spider-Man could be black? How about J. Jonah Jameson?

This isn't a valid comparison, unless we were talking about Spider-Man suddenly being black in The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Isn't casting the most engaging, compelling actor for an antagonist isn't the primary criteria? Cumberbatch out-Khaned Ricardo Montalban.

I think that's a pretty different argument. Casting the best actor for the role is compelling reasoning, but the point that most detractors of that way of thinking would, I think quite fairly, make is that the best actor might not be getting the opportunity for resons that have nothing to do with acting ability.

For the record, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought Alice Eve was kind of wasted. She felt like kind of a tag-along character who didn't really fit with the crew's dynamic. Maybe that was what they were going for, but I just didn't get the feeling that she was worth the screen-time, despite how well she did or didn't do with the role.

Really excited for Abrams Star Wars.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This isn't a valid comparison, unless we were talking about Spider-Man suddenly being black in The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I know, I'm just having fun with hypotheticals. I guess it's a potentially huge derail so I'll rid the post of it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

McSpanky posted:

I admit a far from comprehensive understanding of Korean-Japanese relations on the issue of Hollywood casting though, if anyone can speak more accurately to it I'd love to hear more.

Interestingly enough, the same thing happened in the recent G.I. Joe films. A Korean actor cast in the role of a Japanese character. Remember that Wachowski produced film a few years back, Ninja Assassin? Another Korean actor cast as a Japanese character.

But this is an odd digression. I'll stop now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

I think that's a pretty different argument. Casting the best actor for the role is compelling reasoning, but the point that most detractors of that way of thinking would, I think quite fairly, make is that the best actor might not be getting the opportunity for resons that have nothing to do with acting ability.

From what I understand, there was another guy cast in the role that was of the authentic race. He backed out, so the studio went searching for someone else. Cumberbatch got the role from talking to someone on the phone, I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know about that, so I can't really comment on it. I don't know, I wasn't ever arguing that Cumberbatch shouldn't have got the role.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The best thing to take from this movie is that it pretty much shouted HEY, IN THE NEXT MOVIE WE'RE GONNA HAVE A HUGE KLINGON WAR AND IT'S GONNA BE loving AMAZING.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's Cinematic Affirmative Action, where tax deductions will be given to movies with minority roles, the best roles will be given to mediocre actors just because of their race, and all the great white actors will be left out in the dust because nobody will be writing white characters anymore. God save us.....

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Alright, I wrote up a little minireview for the film. Since black boxes are still going down, I'm going to spoiler the whole thing. It's really meant for the TV IV Trek thread crowd, but I'll share it with you guys too, since that thread isn't open for movie chat until after the weekend.

Me, five minutes ago posted:

So, I just got back from seeing Star Trek Into Darkness five minutes ago, let's get my take on it down. Simply put, it was top-notch. The acting, writing, characterization, and design were superb and I couldn't possibly have asked for more. The story and pacing, while imperfect, combined with the above to keep me engaged and involved to the point of slack-jawed star-struck awe.
Let me just harp on a few high points that I think people are going to gloss over in favor of reminescing about the good old days. The new cast maintained their roles brilliantly, and were able to start developing the characters down some new arcs in this film. Particular callouts to Simon Pegg and his little buddy (who we shall call Mini-Morn), Peter Weller as Admiral Alexander Marcus (whom you may also recognize as Paxton from the Terra Prime two-parter in Enterprise, props for bringing back some Star Trek alumni), and John Cho giving us our first taste of Nu-Sulu in the captain's chair.
The costuming was excellent, with all the uniform variants calling back to designed from the Original Series, even including the excursion jackets from the first pilot. The lens flare has been scaled back (although not eliminated, which is okay by me), giving us a better look at the great set design. The new parts of the engineering section look far less like a brewery, and much more like a machine room at CERN, intricite and pristine white, which looks high-tech and clever. The props were proper (:haw:), and as an addict for cyberpunk and it's ilk I was enthralled by the look we got at life on Earth in the 22nd century: gleaming, dense cities built for foot traffic and human presence, lots of courtyards and walking paths and ground-level green spaces.
Now, the plot. This plot is 100% grade-A Star Trek and I will fight anyone who disagrees. Despite initial trepidation, the protagonists spearhead Federation ideals and principles in the face of a coercive, paranoid, and xenophobic element attempting to militarize Starfleet and launch a pre-emptive strike on Qo'nos in the face of mounting tensions with the Klingons (doubtlessly the focus of our next film). The offer to use this new aggression from on high in Starfleet brass tempts Kirk and the crew, and while they bend, they do not break.
I'll say this against it: Cumberbatch was underwhelming in his role, and ill-used. It was also idiotic for the writers to make him Khan, effectively whitewashing the role and turning what should by all accounts be an ethnically Indian character into a squeaky clean white englishman, a farcical misstep in this day and age, particularly when absolutely nothing about the character required him to be Khan as opposed to another of the 72 augments aboard the Botany Bay. But with Weller to pick up the villain slack, it's still a shining entry in the canon of Star Trek that I absolutely cannot wait to see again.
It also ends with the USS Enterprise, though somewhat early in it's history for it, beginning it's Five Year Mission, complete with a reprisal of the big tagline about Space, The Final Frontier. It's worth noting that this particular spot in the penning of this new universe is fetrile soil for new stories, and perhaps even a new TV or online miniseries to get Star Trek back where it shines brightest, on the small screen. Whether or not they'll take advantage of it would be pure speculation, but hey, we're Trekkies, if we can't be optimistic, who will be?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I expect to enjoy this movie overall, but the casting does leave a bad taste in my mouth. It is possible for a film to be great and also have a li'l cloud of hosed-up hanging over it.

I have to laugh at the paranoia about POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WILL SOON GO TOO FAR!!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Do you think that casting minorities is more important than casting good actors? Because Benedict Cumberbatch loving destroyed the role. He's incredible in the movie.

Whitewashing isn't about acting ability anymore than affirmative action is about testing/job ability, knock this poo poo off.

scary ghost dog posted:

It's Cinematic Affirmative Action, where tax deductions will be given to movies with minority roles, the best roles will be given to mediocre actors just because of their race, and all the great white actors will be left out in the dust because nobody will be writing white characters anymore. God save us.....

too late

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't it be more awkward to have a Brown Skinned Actor being the one who crashes a ship into a major city?

McSpanky posted:

Whitewashing isn't about acting ability anymore than affirmative action is about testing/job ability, knock this poo poo off.

"This poo poo" is the core of the issue, though. If the directors find that {Actor X} plays {Character X} amazingly, what obligations are they to cast the role differently? No, previous incarnations of the character aren't to be cited.

You're right, whitewashing isn't about acting ability. BC's acting ability is amazing. Therefore, the decision was not whitewashing, but about acting ability.

Related: Poor Mickey. The Doctor would be very upset. :smith:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 16, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

"This poo poo" is the core of the issue, though. If the directors find that {Actor X} plays {Character X} amazingly, what obligations are they to cast the role differently? No, previous incarnations of the character aren't to be cited.

He's not a previous incarnation, though, he's the same incarnation recast and branched-in-time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

He's not a previous incarnation, though, he's the same incarnation recast.

But under that logic, you must cast the character from a race other than the one verbally expressed, because that's how it's gone before. The character we're discussing has never had a congruence between the spoken ethnicity and the actor playing him. More to the point, it's almost as if making the actor and the spoken ethnicity congruent is against earlier depictions.

Besides, while you can :techno: for hours about divergence points and the like, ultimately it's a New Khan in a New Trek Universe. Think "Oh, this is this universe's Khan", less "Hey Khan didn't look like that!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 16, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

You're right, whitewashing isn't about acting ability. BC's acting ability is amazing. Therefore, the decision was not whitewashing, but about acting ability.

Haha, the hell they aren't to be cited. When one chooses to use preexisting roles/characters of color but then changes their races/ethnicities, that act reduces the number of opportunities people of color have to practice their craft in an already notoriously prejudiced entertainment industry, and that is when whitewashing occurs. You can't not cite the very heart of the issue.

Why isn't the actor's ability a justification to that change? Because that comes after the change has been made. If the the right thing had been done in the first place, the white actor would never have been in consideration for the role in the first place. His performance, no matter how incredible it may be, is fruit of the poisonous tree for the purposes of determining social responsibility for the act of whitewashing. The injustice was committed before a single second of his performance was put to film.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Are all the consequences of whitewashing hypothetical or are there any specific examples? I don't think extensive debate counts as a consequence.

Edit: Once again, Indian actors have absolutely no trouble practicing their craft, as India has a more prolific and successful movie industry than America.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You heard it here first: if you're an Indian-American actor, just leave the country if you want to find work!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Well, if you want to argue that point, you have to admit that actors the world over pretty much have to move to L.A. to be successful in Hollywood, regardless of skin color. Work never stops being hard to get for anyone.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I cannot believe your posts are real.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I cannot believe Pluto isn't a planet!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I cannot believe your posts are real.

Pretty sure he's been trolling about the whole page or so.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I think what we've learned is that this is not the place to argue about racism in Hollywood, as it is a deeply ingrained element of filmmaking that cannot be easily summarized in a single role or casting decision.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quit ruining this thread, sgd. I beg of you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

You heard it here first: if you're an Indian-American actor, just leave the country if you want to find work!

I dunno, this dude could've pulled it off on looks alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Haha, the hell they aren't to be cited. When one chooses to use preexisting roles/characters of color but then changes their races/ethnicities, that act reduces the number of opportunities people of color have to practice their craft in an already notoriously prejudiced entertainment industry, and that is when whitewashing occurs. You can't not cite the very heart of the issue.

So you are saying that it is more important to hire a lesser-talented actor of the 'correct' race (despite the character having a history of being very confused, ethnically) than to hire someone who is better at the task at hand. In this case, portraying a compelling, engaging antagonist.

Not buying it for a second. Cumberbatch played an outstanding incarnation of this character (superior, I feel, in fact), and I strongly argue that replacing him for something as trivial as "He's not the race they said he was... even if he was played by a different ethnicity than that last time!" is foolish.

McSpanky posted:

If the the right thing had been done in the first place, the white actor would never have been in consideration for the role in the first place. His performance, no matter how incredible it may be, is fruit of the poisonous tree for the purposes of determining social responsibility for the act of whitewashing. The injustice was committed before a single second of his performance was put to film.

Only his performance matters, though. I'd be more likely to agree with your argument if Cumberbatch wasn't amazing at the role. He is, though.

The only obligation movie-makers have is to put the highest quality product on the screen for the audience.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 16, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I dunno, this dude could've pulled it off on looks alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan

It would appear that he has already played two characters named Khan!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A white genetically engineered superman is far scarier than an ethnic one. It screams of Nazi Germany and makes Khan seem more entwined with past history. And more terrifying. I always saw Khan as more of a self chosen title or rank, a reference to Genghis Khan's legacy, his brutality, cunning, the land he conquered, and the death that followed him. Not so much the ethnic lineage.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 16, 2013

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the film, but the pacing was ridiculous at times. You could fit a [SCENE DELETED] slide into like 10+ places in there.

Also, TWO "THE BOMB HAS BEEN ARMED AND IS COUNTING DOWN OH NO WILL OUR HEROES BEAT THE CLOCK???" scenes? Was that a joke?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Only his performance matters, though. I'd be more likely to agree with your argument if Cumberbatch wasn't amazing at the role. He is, though.

Do you understand how causality works? How chains of events unfold from the past to the present? You seem to have some trouble understanding at what point in time the error was committed in this process, and on which side of it Cumberbatch's performance enters the equation (hint: long after the offense was committed). I thought I made it very clear that his performance didn't matter, but you seem as dead-set on focusing on it as you are on ignoring the concept of social responsibility.

If your viewpoint is that films (or even just this film) are truly only here to deliver the most engaging spectacle and the filmmakers own no social responsibility for any decisions they make towards that goal, then we're at loggerheads and I won't carry this derail any further with you.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone actually know what the argument's about anymore.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and something else I kind of liked: Khan ends the film in cyro, smiling. Why? Because he's found that his family isn't dead, and being in cyro with them is better than being alone and awake. :unsmith:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It was a really sweet touch and despite everything that had happened, there was some level of satisfaction seeing that expression. :unsmith:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 16, 2013

• Locked thread