Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been getting some really weird issues that started recently. I'm running the stable version of Chrome on my Asus 1215n netbook. I want to say that it is some memory issue but I have no clue why its happening.

Basically what will happen is when opening a new tab and loading a site, chrome will display another tab's previous site for a few seconds and then the correct site will load. For example, lets say I have one tab open, on Tab 1 I search google for something and go to a site from it. If I create Tab 2 and type in a site, it will show for a few seconds the google search page from tab 1 yet the tab title and address will be for the site I want to visit. Even just switching to other tabs after everything is loaded I will see a previous website for a tenth of a second. It seems to me that chrome is mixing up where it should be storing sites within the memory.

I have had it happen where if I have like 5 tabs open, chrome will just refuse to display the proper page, hitting refresh or typing in another address does nothing. Chrome will say the new site has loaded properly but displays a previous site from another tab.

I've removed chrome, reinstalled, disabled all addons and nothing seems to fix it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been using Tabs Outliner for the past couple days, and I gotta say it's the best extension ever made.

• It displays a tree of all open windows and tabs in those windows.
  • Automatically creates sub-nodes under tabs for tabs opened from a tab. In other words, if I Ctrl-Click a bunch of links on this page, they'll open "under" the listing for this page.
  • You can save windows/tabs across sessions.
  • Add notes to windows/tabs.
  • Other cool stuff.

I need to look in to seeing if I can hide the tabs on each Chrome window because I just use my always-open outline of tabs to switch and manage tabs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Back in the thread about Google Reader shutting down where people were all like "what is rss? and why do it need it?" I was wondering how those people kept up with the websites that they were interested in. Based on those screenshots, I now see that they must do it by never closing a tab that they are interested in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

withak posted:

Back in the thread about Google Reader shutting down where people were all like "what is rss? and why do it need it?" I was wondering how those people kept up with the websites that they were interested in. Based on those screenshots, I now see that they must do it by never closing a tab that they are interested in.

Hah!

I actually was an intensive Reader user who now uses Tiny Tiny RSS.

I also usually have 30-50 tabs open but they're never for the kind of stuff you'd use RSS for. Like now I've got three windows open, one with tabs opened from Tiny Tiny RSS for articles and information I want to look into more detail on, one with 12 tabs of reference information for a programming project, and one with 9 tabs of reference info for another programming project.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So why is this happening?

It only happens in Chrome and only happens with that style of Flash video player. Youtube, Vimeo, and all other's I've encountered all run fine.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Is this also the Chromebook thread? I just ordered one with the Amazon used deal, and was wondering about the best way to dual boot Chrome OS and Ubuntu, if anyone has done it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm attempting to manage two Tumblr blogs that aren't under the same account. For various reasons I'd like to keep the associated with different email addresses. I'm using an extension called Swap My Cookies that allows you to create profiles of different cookies and switch between them fairly quickly. The problem is it works for all cookies, and I'd like for it to work for just Tumblr. Otherwise other pages that I haven't logged into yet (like the forums) will break. I know I could just log into them again under the new profile, but before doing all of that I was wondering if there's an extension that will work the way I want it to.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I know this might not be ideal, but in case you didn't know you can open an Incognito window and it will use its own cookies as long as it's open. So you can log into account 1 in your normal window and account 2 in an incognito window, and they won't conflict

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone know why I can't edit Facebook docs in Chrome anymore?

E: I should mention that I've cleared all my history/cookies/etc. and in fact uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and it still won't do it. It works fine on IE. I'm on Windows 8.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I desperately need help.

The Chat for Google extension was my phone, I didn't do any call forwarding. But Google 'upgraded' it to the Hangouts extension and they seem to have removed the Google Voice functionality. I don't understand.

I have not been able to find a way to downgrade. Please, someone help. I need to be able to use Google Voice outside of a tab again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yin posted:

I desperately need help.

The Chat for Google extension was my phone, I didn't do any call forwarding. But Google 'upgraded' it to the Hangouts extension and they seem to have removed the Google Voice functionality. I don't understand.

I have not been able to find a way to downgrade. Please, someone help. I need to be able to use Google Voice outside of a tab again.

Will this do what you're looking for?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
You can also call from within GMail. It gives you the old window but you have to pop it out yourself. It is annoying since I mostly used the GTalk calling feature as my primary phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Unfortunately, the last I checked that doesn't ring on incoming calls.

This sucks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thermopyle posted:

Unfortunately, the last I checked that doesn't ring on incoming calls.

This sucks.

Oh yeah, what the gently caress. I just opened up Chrome, and had the chat/Hangouts app load up to notice there's no more phone button. Hangouts is starting to suck now.

[edit]

This article details the issue: http://www.pocketables.com/2013/05/what-google-got-wrong-in-the-new-google-hangouts-so-far.html

What the gently caress Google, give me this feature back.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 17, 2013

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I just installed VoiceMac to replace the Google Voice phone feature on OSX at least. Not sure what to do about the Chromebook and this does make me worry about Voice's viability.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, I've been getting incoming call notifications...sometimes. It pops up a notification thingy saying something about Hangouts, the incoming number, and answer/reject buttons. Unfortunately, the few times it's appeared, it's then disappeared after just a few seconds before I get a chance to click it.

So...maybe it's coming back with the Chrome extension.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Is there still no way to remove the close tab X button on the tabs?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can anyone help me with a stupid but infuriating problem? When I click on a PDF link on a page, Chrome always brings up the Save As box and will not display it in the browser. I have tried enabling the built-in PDF reader and also installing Adobe Reader, enabling the Chrome plugin and setting the option from Reader to "Display PDFs in Browser". Nothing will stop Chrome from wanting to save the drat PDF instead of just showing it to me.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Download a PDF file, then when it is done, left click on the download icon at the bottom and select "always open this type of file" Now It should open any PDF link you click in that window without downloading it to a permanent location.

To undo it go into Options>Under the Hood tab>Clear Auto Opening Settings.

Found from here :> http://superuser.com/questions/219870/how-to-open-pdf-in-chromes-integrated-viewer-without-downloading-it

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Download a PDF file, then when it is done, left click on the download icon at the bottom and select "always open this type of file" Now It should open any PDF link you click in that window without downloading it to a permanent location.

To undo it go into Options>Under the Hood tab>Clear Auto Opening Settings.

Found from here :> http://superuser.com/questions/219870/how-to-open-pdf-in-chromes-integrated-viewer-without-downloading-it
Thanks this is a step closer, it auto-opens in Acrobat Reader now but I was hoping I could force Chrome to display PDFs inline. Either way it's an improvement over before.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm guessing it's related to the server sending the wrong Media Type type, so Chrome doesn't know it's a file it can open itself.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf.html

Try those PDF links on there, they open in another tab for me in Chrome Beta

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Please, can anyone explain how to use google play as a music library on my chromebook. i have an external harddrive and i just want it to recognize my music folder so it can manage my collection. ive tried every combo of words and some poo poo called Music Alpha but its literally doing nothing. I just want to have it recognize the folder, imprt the music, and then manage it from there.

If I have to manage it and play files from the file directory itself this poo poo is getting returned cause goddamn thats horrific

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 19, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Okposolypse posted:

Please, can anyone explain how to use google play as a music library. i have an external harddrive and i just want it to recognize my music folder so it can manage my collection. ive tried every combo of words and some poo poo called Music Alpha but its literally doing nothing. I just want to have it recognize the folder, imprt the music, and then manage it from there.

If I have to manage it and play files from the file directory itself this poo poo is getting returned cause goddamn thats horrific

I don't think this is the right thread for this question as it has nothing to do with Chrome.

What poo poo are you talking about when you say you're going to return something? The hard drive? What does that have to do with Google Play?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think this is the right thread for this question as it has nothing to do with Chrome.

What poo poo are you talking about when you say you're going to return something? The hard drive? What does that have to do with Google Play?

Nah the chromebook, id prob keep the harddrive. I just wanted a light laptop I could torrent music/movies from and poo poo, if i cant manage my files from the harddrive it kind of defeats the purpose I got it for.

it appears you cant create a direct link from the harddrive to the googeplay app. I didnt see a "google" tag and figured this would be the most releveant thread, basically I just want it to recognize my harddrive and create a link to the music library. like i can play music from the harddrive, but I cant drag stuff into the library. do i have to put all my music on the cloud first from a different computer? or is there an app that will allow me to create that link?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Okposolypse posted:

I just wanted a light laptop I could torrent music/movies

Google play music is for playing music from the cloud you've already uploaded. Also good job telling us about your piracy habits, very smart move.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

big mean giraffe posted:

Google play music is for playing music from the cloud you've already uploaded. Also good job telling us about your piracy habits, very smart move.

so there is no app to directly link the harddrive to the google play music client? everything has to be cloud first?

Thermopyle posted:

You didn't say you had a chromebook.

my apologies, I thought I mentioned that but I had not. does anyone know of an alternative app?

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 19, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Okposolypse posted:

Nah the chromebook, id prob keep the harddrive.

You didn't say you had a chromebook.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That reminds me.. IS there a chromebook / chromeos / chromiumos thread?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don't think so but maybe there should be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The entire point of a chromebook is that everything is done via a web browser using the cloud. If that isn't your cup of tea you probably need to install Ubuntu or Linuxmint on it.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

The Lord Bude posted:

The entire point of a chromebook is that everything is done via a web browser using the cloud. If that isn't your cup of tea you probably need to install Ubuntu or Linuxmint on it.
Ill have to look into that. This was so close to being the perfect buy, that lack of local access is a killer. I understand why though, but thats just such a small but annoying inconvenience.

Is linuxmint a simple process and is it stable? I dont know how to do coding at all but if its something that could be explained simply Id give it a shot if it allows for the HD to be used more traditionally.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Assuming your chromebook uses regular laptop hardware and not an Arm CPU it should be no different from installing any other operating system. Linuxmint is probably the most novice friendly Linux distro. If you have a dvd drive you just download it, whack it on a DVD and install, otherwise I'm pretty sure you can do it from a USB stick.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

The Lord Bude posted:

Assuming your chromebook uses regular laptop hardware and not an Arm CPU it should be no different from installing any other operating system. Linuxmint is probably the most novice friendly Linux distro. If you have a dvd drive you just download it, whack it on a DVD and install, otherwise I'm pretty sure you can do it from a USB stick.

No DVD drive, but Ill look into this, gues its time to check out the linux thread. Thanks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Okposolypse posted:

No DVD drive, but Ill look into this, gues its time to check out the linux thread. Thanks.

It's worth pointing out, (again assuming the chromebook isn't ARM based), you could always stick Windows on it. (But it will likely run like poo poo if it's one of those dirt cheap chromebooks)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The new Chrome App Launcher button is ugly as gently caress :( I want my nondescript grid of light-grey squares back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Hah!

I actually was an intensive Reader user who now uses Tiny Tiny RSS.

I also usually have 30-50 tabs open but they're never for the kind of stuff you'd use RSS for. Like now I've got three windows open, one with tabs opened from Tiny Tiny RSS for articles and information I want to look into more detail on, one with 12 tabs of reference information for a programming project, and one with 9 tabs of reference info for another programming project.

This is why Opera's tab-stacking feature was the hardest thing to give up when switching to Chrome. Tab Outliner looks pretty cool though, I just wish the skin was better because holy poo poo is it ugly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

teagone posted:

The new Chrome App Launcher button is ugly as gently caress :( I want my nondescript grid of light-grey squares back.

How do you get it back? I lost mine when enabling some about :flags settings. Disabling them did nothing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do you get it back? I lost mine when enabling some about :flags settings. Disabling them did nothing

I actually uninstalled the dev build I was running and went with the current beta version to get the better looking app launcher icon back. That's how much the new one sucks. In the latest dev builds, I think it automatically puts the app launcher icon on your windows taskbar after you install a 'packaged app'. They removed the flag. Reverting back to the beta gives you the flag option back for the app launcher.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I went from stable to dev, the button was on the far left of my bookmarks bar. I was using the beta... last week or the week before I think? And no button. How long was this in the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Hey Okposolypse, Lifehacker just put up a guide to installing (ubuntu) Linux on a chromebook http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343