Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Frozen Synapse has cross-platform play, right? iPad only games can get desolate with their multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A
I wasted my 5 dollars on a touch screen game that has all sorts of ways to see how it plays, oh noooo :rolleyes:

Anyways, Frozen Synapse is amazing, if anyone wants to challenge me my game name is ravey, I am not a seasoned player, but I know how the game works for the most part. So far, the biggest downfall could be I think it has no push notifications. The game will send an e-mail when you have a turn ready, but sometimes e-mail notifications are ambiguous and get ignored.

Also, yes the game does cross-platform with PC and eventually Android when that version comes out.

edit; here's the email they sent out if you already owned the game on PC.

quote:

Hello,

iPad

We’re proud to announce that everyone’s favourite (note: not scientifically verified to be everyone’s favourite) tactical game is ready for release on the iPad.

From Thursday 16th May (midnight in each territory apparently), it’ll be available here:

http://appstore.com/frozensynapse

If you’re thinking of buying the game, please note you’ll be doing a massive favour if you decide to do this close to launch, such is the nature of the App Store: thanks.

Any tweets, mentions, Facebookings, honks, blurts, toots, parps or flanges are extremely welcome as well: we would love to get people talking about the game.

Here are some things you can do with this wonderful product:

- Play the full single player campaign and every multiplayer mode from the original game

- Enjoy full cross-play on the same account: start a game on your desktop and finish it on your tablet, perhaps during a boring family occasion

- Luxuriate in the portability of tablet gameplay with a brand new interface crafted explicitly for your horrendous wiggling digits

- Hotseat your way to both friends and fortune (fortune sold separately) with local multiplayer! Passing your device around in a public place has never been more likely to excite your forlorn cortex

- And a whole lot more!

Android

The Android version is being handled by another team and is on its way. If the shapeforms finish deliberating (fanservice) over the code, it should be out by the end of this month.

Servers

Many apologies for the disruption we’ve had with servers in the past week: this has been due to the swanky new server being installed.

The original Frozen Synapse server was written in a fairly daft way as we never expected the game to have the kind of userbase it eventually achieved: now we have a better, more scaleable server; we hope this is going to function better over the launch period for the next two versions. I don’t play this card often, but getting proper server provision is really hard as a small company: we’re trying our absolute best!

This should, eventually, be better. Thanks for your patience.

Support

Please do immediately contact support@mode7games.com if you have any problems and we will try and help you out.

I have had a couple of people mention long-term issues to me recently that I just wasn’t aware of. We do try our best to keep up with the forums but this occasionally gets lost when the entire team has to pull together on something specific. Now we have better updating and new servers, it’ll be easier for us to address problems so please do ask us.

As usual, if you want my direct line, just reply to this mail.

Cheers,

Paul Taylor

Mode 7

Raveyyy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 16, 2013

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.
Frozen Synapse is indeed cross platform. I picked it up for the iPad after loving it on the mac. Send games my way! FS name is 'Yolkfolk'

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Raveyyy posted:

Also, yes the game does cross-platform with PC and eventually Android when that version comes out.

Oh poo poo what. Does the iPad version contain the content from the Red expansion?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Yodzilla posted:

Oh poo poo what. Does the iPad version contain the content from the Red expansion?

Not yet. Supposedly it's on the way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I know this is an ios thread, but there are demos for the Mac and PC versions here.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Well this bad boy ain't gonna get far:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/final-fantasy-race-free/id633284198?mt=8

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Or how about Zerg Must Die!, which is a shame because it looks like it might've been a decent Tower Defense game. They even admit in the app description that its designed to look like Starcraft 2.

But a Final Fantasy racing game? What a bizarre mash-up of ideas. I wonder if there's even a game in there.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
N'thing praise for Kingturn RPG, upgraded to the full version yesterday. If squad-based tactical turn-based rpg sounds like your thing, I'd definitely try it out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wouldn't the final fantasy race be like golems or some other construct that's not natural?? Those always seem to be lingering around for thousands of years after their makers. Sure as hell wouldn't be elves, seems like in fantasy stories they're always dying out for one depressing reason or another.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Yodzilla posted:

Wouldn't the final fantasy race be like golems or some other construct that's not natural?? Those always seem to be lingering around for thousands of years after their makers. Sure as hell wouldn't be elves, seems like in fantasy stories they're always dying out for one depressing reason or another.

dude, chocobos

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
How can pubbies suck so bad at say the same thing ? About 70% of people dont get that you're supposed to think of a word that is the association of the 2 previous words, so they just say something related to your word or to theirs.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Some French Guy posted:

How can pubbies suck so bad at say the same thing ? About 70% of people dont get that you're supposed to think of a word that is the association of the 2 previous words, so they just say something related to your word or to theirs.
I had one person literally write "idk what that is" at me. I don't know how you can be bad at a simple parlour game.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Has Frozen Synapse got music or sound effects for anyone here? It's absolutely silent on my iPad.

I haven't played this game since it was first released for PC, but I think I'll enjoy playing it on the iPad format. It's just way more scifi cool doing it on a touchscreen :haw:.

I can't figure out a way to play the entire match through at the end without it stopping for each turn, either. I also thought it'd be a bit higher resolution, it seems a lot of it isn't full retina resolution, which is a shame. Worth the $7, but could'a been a bit more polished.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
So after some more searching around for a good Hexic clone, I learned a few things. Firstly, there is a version for windows phones. This really cements the notion that there will never be an official port to iOS, as Alexey is with Microsoft, and it's a microsoft product.

I did manage to find an old Java version for older smartphones, but that doesn't do me too much good. Finally, after scrounging the app store, I found an iPhone clone called iGems. It's not an exact clone, and not really worth $.99 to most people. I think there's a web version of iGems floating around if you wanna try, though.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

tuna posted:

Has Frozen Synapse got music or sound effects for anyone here? It's absolutely silent on my iPad.

I haven't played this game since it was first released for PC, but I think I'll enjoy playing it on the iPad format. It's just way more scifi cool doing it on a touchscreen :haw:.

I can't figure out a way to play the entire match through at the end without it stopping for each turn, either. I also thought it'd be a bit higher resolution, it seems a lot of it isn't full retina resolution, which is a shame. Worth the $7, but could'a been a bit more polished.

I was watching some playthrough stuff of it on youtube earlier and that had audio just fine.
I'm on the fence about getting it. It's complex (seems hard to get to grips with maybe) but interesting. That said, the price can be a little forbidding considering I'm not sure I'll take to it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
When the other person clearly just wants to do word association instead of finding the middle ground in Say the Same Thing, just mess with them. Start typing the same word in different predictable ways or the colors of the rainbow or something, and end the game if it doesn't click for them or if it's not funny anymore. I typed banana, bannanna, bannnannna, bannnnannnna at someone today because they just didn't "get" the game for some reason. Turns out it was a literal 9 year old, and he thought the gimmick was hilarious when we won.

e: Not immediately at the start like some lovely troll, but after 5 or 6 words when it's obvious the game is going nowhere.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The Free App of the Week is Pudding Monsters (HD). I haven't tried it yet but it's by the studio that made Cut the Rope and hey, it's free.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

tuna posted:

Fine on my iPad 2. Try reinstalling I guess.

I don't quite get the interface yet (I'm having trouble issuing orders where I want them) but I am so enamored with the concept and the aesthetic ill just lose for weeks and still be happy. :swoon:

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

bazaar apparatus posted:

dude, chocobos

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I've recently fallen hard for Theatrhythm on the iOS. It's such a good "need to focus on anything else on the metro but the other passengers" game.

Also, I'm still playing Say the Same Thing if some of you need a player. GC name matches the SA name.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pitnicker posted:

Or how about Zerg Must Die!, which is a shame because it looks like it might've been a decent Tower Defense game. They even admit in the app description that its designed to look like Starcraft 2.

But a Final Fantasy racing game? What a bizarre mash-up of ideas. I wonder if there's even a game in there.

FYI:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Wow, my last Frozen Synapse game was in 2010 :haw: It's awesome on the iPad now and I think this might become a game like Carcassonne which I'll just play forever.

I do have one issue though: players not finishing their game when they seem to be losing. I've already got two games since yesterday where the players just went away after they lost all but one of their team mates. Did Mode7 implement something to handle this? I remember this happening at the game's launch too and they wrote something about a time limit until games get resolved automatically.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Going to echo the love for Frozen Synapse. My goon friends have been raving about the Mac version for the last couple of months, and I was still a little unsure going in, but it hooked me instantly. Lots of simple concepts that have very subtle nuances. Split seconds make all the difference.

In game as Parkingtigers, I'll accept any challenges if you want a fellow newbie to beat up on.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Table Top Racing, Adventure Bar Story, NOVA 3, and Gangstar Rio are all currently free. Also, a bunch of Reiner Knizia games are on sale for a dollar, I have no idea which ones are good.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

FLX posted:

Wow, my last Frozen Synapse game was in 2010 :haw: It's awesome on the iPad now and I think this might become a game like Carcassonne which I'll just play forever.

I do have one issue though: players not finishing their game when they seem to be losing. I've already got two games since yesterday where the players just went away after they lost all but one of their team mates. Did Mode7 implement something to handle this? I remember this happening at the game's launch too and they wrote something about a time limit until games get resolved automatically.
Yeah I think it's 2 weeks. If they don't move in that time you autowin.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just checked my updates tab in the App Store and what the hell happened to Luna Bears. Why did they angry Kirby it. Why am I getting flashbacks to the western version of Ristar. Help

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

MissMarple posted:

Yeah I think it's 2 weeks. If they don't move in that time you autowin.

I contacted Mode 7's support and I was told that they still work on the 14 days auto-finish feature and it's not implemented yet. When it is, it "should" (their word) determine a winner and finish the match though.

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Sad lions posted:

I was watching some playthrough stuff of it on youtube earlier and that had audio just fine.

I've found YouTube lets plays and misc videos to be the best way to determine if I think I would enjoy a game or not before purchase.
Unfortunately very few iOS games appear on there.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

tuna posted:

No issues with sound on mine.

I've never played before the iPad version and I feel like I'm really comfortable with the game and interface now after a few campaign missions and watching the tutorial videos. The videos are all very fast and I had a rewind most of them because they go so fast.

I did have the same thought though about the game polish. Seems like the assets aren't very high resolution but that's totally second fiddle to the game play.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

absolutely anything posted:

I just checked my updates tab in the App Store and what the hell happened to Luna Bears. Why did they angry Kirby it. Why am I getting flashbacks to the western version of Ristar. Help

Y'know, this is strangely upsetting. :smith:

At least give me an eyebrow toggle in the options menu!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dewgy posted:

Y'know, this is strangely upsetting. :smith:

At least give me an eyebrow toggle in the options menu!
At least the eyebrows go neutral when he sleeps :unsmith:

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Kingturn RPG is the best game.

- You can adjust difficulty, enemy spawn rate and whether your characters are disabled for the entire battle after dying between each battle. This allows you to make any battle challenging. Multiple times a battle swings from near victory to near defeat and back again with a single error, if you autopilot you'll get punished. I've had battles go 40+ turns with either side not getting an advantage, lasting for over an hour and I've had ten minute battles by managing to exploit a turn of stupid positioning by the enemy to capture their barracks while I started the battle feeling completely hopeless, it's really intense. If you turn the difficulty up to the max, you'll probably be reloading each battle dozens of times.

- The user interface is efficient as hell and super pleasing to use. They made everything doable with as few taps as possible and you're constantly amazed at how swift and smooth everything is. Really shows how lovely ports like FFT are to navigate.

- Stable as gently caress, automatically saves your position upon exiting the app, you can separately save/load in about one second, too.

- Tons of classes. I have 3 separate bow users so far for example, one has pure damage/AoE, one can move further and has movement disabling skills, one has paralyze and sneak skills. No class seems overpowered or underpowered, it's really balanced and the enemy has access to all the classes/equip you do.

- Tons of ways to customize your party in terms of attribute speciality and equipment. You can pay to level up your lagging/new characters in a fair way which again means no grinding. Some classes become less effective further in while others start to shine, so you won't be fielding the same party each battle.

- genius map/mission design. Ever found battles in FFT tedious? The map layouts/mission requirements can be really clever and force you to think about your strategy a lot, coming up with completely new approaches.

- good AI. Are your barracks not protected? Is your tank not positioned properly in front of your caster? The enemy will immediately take full advantage of your mistakes. There's very few ways to exploit the AI and they offer only a minor advantage, not a solution to every battle.

There's tons of other stuff that owns about this game. The story is generic (the writing is pretty alright though) as are the graphics and music, but the gameplay is better than FFT/Disgaea/my beloved Loststar Tactics and there's tons and tons of content to this game. I'm not done with the game yet either, just wanted to post praise inbetween play sessions.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shalinor posted:

At least the eyebrows go neutral when he sleeps :unsmith:

And the Valentine's special version is untouched!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey goon what made Luna Bears, you got some splainin to do.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

heiden posted:

Kingturn RPG is the best game.

Glad you're liking it, I agree with everything you said :) The nice thing as well is that the dev is very active in the TA forum thread, with discussions about how to manage treasure chests, NPC gear and all sorts of other stuff. I believe the permanent knockout feature was actually a request from that thread and it went straight in pretty fast.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How well does Frozen Synapse run on the iPad 3?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kilometers Davis posted:

Furthermore, does it even run on a 1?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Perfectly smooth. I have no idea if it's actually running at 60fps, but it's running well enough to not notice the performance at all. Honestly, I can count on one hand the number of things that run poorly on the 3, so I don't know why people always seem concerned. Eclipse being the only really recent standout.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just spent a full twenty minutes trying to win a fight in Wrestling Revolution, even managed to get the other guy to scream and tap out TWICE but the ref wouldn't give the match :saddowns:

It kind of sucks because I'm not exactly sure how pinning works and since it was the japanese federation I don't know if the game was being clever with the ref being poo poo or if it's something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Well... what kind of match were you playing? Also don't use the touch controls unless you also are into BDSM; just use the virtual controller.

• Locked thread