Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Here is a battle scene from the Asylum move Age of the Hobbits. It is hilariously bad. I've seen the full movie. There are dragons, but they do not breathe fire. Also, I don't remember seeing the guy in the hooded robe (that guy is carrying a steel dagger, and this movie is supposed to be set in the Stone Age). I read somewhere that Warner Bros forced the Asylum to retitle this to "Clash of the Empires", which I think is the first time their business model has been successfully challenged.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like Bai Ling. She was great in Crank 2.
And Christopher Judge was great in Stargate.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I like Bai Ling. She was great in Crank 2.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
drat this thread for making me look up posters for my favorite movies. I'm almost always dissapointed. I decided to check out one of my favorite comedies, A Fish Called Wanda.

I actually like this one quite a bit. It's simple and elegant. I would hang this on my wall.

This one however is poo poo. They got the names over the actors which is nice, but I hate that stupid fish. There is no giant fish monster in this movie at all, there is a minor plot point about a fish but other than the movie being named after Wanda, the fish has an incredibly small role in it. I'm fine with something to do with fish on the poster but this weird creature from the black lagoon thing ruins an otherwise decent concept. Also, "A new comedy..." is such a weird thing to put on a poster. Most movie posters are made to advertise a new movie, it's so redundant.

This is a DVD cover but I like this one. Like the first poster it's simple and really to the point. It's almost minimalist but I don't feel that seeting white hot anger that minimalist posters give me. I like that the color scheme for all of these is pure white too, I don't know why.

Oh goddammit. Bad photoshopping, the characters seem to meld into one another in a dull black void near the bottom and they got Michael Palin and Jamie Lee Curtis' names on the right spots, why not John Cleese and Kevin Kline's? The stereotypical blue/orange seems completely out of place here too. I really like the white/light blue of the old posters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not really fair to judge a design based on how the actors' names line up, since that's a billing thing unrelated to the design.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In that case it even seems to be alphabetical, which is about as reasonably fair as one can get.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not really fair to judge a design based on how the actors' names line up, since that's a billing thing unrelated to the design.

I understand that and I know designers can't always control who goes under what name but put a poster where each actor is under their respective name next to one where the names are over the wrong person and tell me the first one doesn't look ten times better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, if anything, I like how that second poster is true to the actors' heights. John Cleese is a pretty tall man.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 15, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ez posted:

This one however is poo poo. They got the names over the actors which is nice, but I hate that stupid fish. There is no giant fish monster in this movie at all, there is a minor plot point about a fish but other than the movie being named after Wanda, the fish has an incredibly small role in it. I'm fine with something to do with fish on the poster but this weird creature from the black lagoon thing ruins an otherwise decent concept. Also, "A new comedy..." is such a weird thing to put on a poster. Most movie posters are made to advertise a new movie, it's so redundant.

That poster made not by good, but drat if it made curious about the movie when I saw it at the video store when I was a kid. It's just a bizarre poster that really stood out to me. I should watch the whole movie sometime, since I only seen half of it on tv.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Does anyone know where I can get bigger-ish resolution copies of those mental Polish movie posters from the 70s-90s.

I drunkenly volunteered to host a pub quiz night and I think figuring out what loving movie some of those posters is for would be a good head scratcher.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Try Cinemasterpieces. They've got a few, including these insane Russian "Star Wars" posters that you could use.

The second and third look like Q-Bert: The Motion Picture and Alejrando Jordorowsky's "Star Wars" respectively.

EDIT: Two great Polish posters.

EDIT 2: Buncha Polish posters in relatively good resolution.
http://hilitehead.com/tag/jakub-erol/

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 16, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:aaaaa: Amazing.

Who is the artist?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Try Cinemasterpieces....

This is exactly what I needed thanks. It'll either be the best movie round of a pub quiz ever or everyone will hate me and pelt me with pretzels.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ez posted:

Hey, I bought Almighty Thor completely aware of what I was getting into and I got more than my :10bux: worth of unintentional comedy.

Woah woah woah... Kevin Nash AND Richard Grieco? Since this is the year 1991 I am super-excited about this!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Calico Heart posted:

The Asylum films are way too self-aware to be funny anymore. That said, I am looking forward to seeing their Avengers knockoff

So the eventual team up of Sergeant USA, Metal Man, Thor (public domain), The Bohemith, Eagleshot, and Praying Mantis. Awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Christopher Judge, nooo! Bai Ling, eeeeehhh?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Yeah so it's a good representation of the movie then.

The Fright Night remake is good in its own right. It doesn't try to be the original film and there are only a few similarities. Colin Farrell and David Tennant are both awesome in it and make it worth a watch.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Desperado Bones posted:

:aaaaa: Amazing.

Who is the artist?

Wiesław Wałkuski

Warsaw pops out these guys like clockwork, there's something in the water.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Found another minimalist poster I made years ago for some photoshop thread. Feel free to savage it.

I really liked Life though, one of the few who did apparently.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Madkal posted:

So the eventual team up of Sergeant USA, Metal Man, Thor (public domain), The Bohemith, Eagleshot, and Praying Mantis. Awesome.

Is a Bohemith like a bohemian behemoth?

Here's a retro captain america poster. I kinda like it, although I think the top is too crowded with headshots.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Hitler actually in that movie?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, he gets punched out like a hundred times.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Chief posted:

The Nazis aren't even in the movie, they have Hydra (who do the heil hitler salute with both hands so you know they're twice as evil!) because it sells better internationally is more respectful to WWII veterans.

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, he gets punched out like a hundred times.

The fake USO show was a better Captain America movie than the actual Captain America movie.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Calico Heart posted:

The Asylum films are way too self-aware to be funny anymore. That said, I am looking forward to seeing their Avengers knockoff

It'd be pretty funny if it were just straight up a Justice League movie.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Nazis aren't even in the movie, they have Hydra (who do the heil hitler salute with both hands so you know they're twice as evil!) because it sells better internationally is more respectful to WWII veterans.

They don't even do that since their fists are closed. It's more like they're doing the black power sign with both hands.

I thought Captain America was alright but boy was that salute dumb.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I found a fan poster that doesn't suck.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the background supposed to be? I sat through Moon and have no recollection of that scene

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ravenkult posted:

This sucks.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Vegetable posted:

What's the background supposed to be? I sat through Moon and have no recollection of that scene

I'm guessing it's the title role.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Red Bones posted:

Is a Bohemith like a bohemian behemoth?

Here's a retro captain america poster. I kinda like it, although I think the top is too crowded with headshots.

That was actually produced to give to the cast and crew at the Captain America wrap party. They had Olly Moss do the same thing for Thor 2 (and he actually made posters for each lead character)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I disagree, I think it's simple and eye-catching, aesthetically pleasing and captures the mood of the film. It also meshes together well, the font was a good choice for the most part and it's laid out in a way that isn't garish or ugly. There aren't any floating elements (like just sticking Gerty or the Moon in the loving center of the poster with no anchor point), the graphic is blended in without resorting to texture effects.

The only thing I don't particularly like is the title, like it could've been more stylized to offset it from the blocks of text surrounding it.

VV Moon may have been pretty light-hearted, but there were some darker moments... which I won't get into for massive spoiler reasons.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 16, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

I disagree, I think it's simple and eye-catching, aesthetically pleasing and captures the mood of the film. It also meshes together well, the font was a good choice for the most part and it's laid out in a way that isn't garish or ugly. There aren't any floating elements (like just sticking Gerty or the Moon in the loving center of the poster with no anchor point), the graphic is blended in without resorting to texture effects.

The only thing I don't particularly like is the title, like it could've been more stylized to offset it from the blocks of text surrounding it.

It looks like a poster for a horror movie. Actually, it's basically the Apollo 18 poster, flipped upside down and with a can of red paint dumped on it.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I'd like that Moon poster would be better if it was blue instead of red. I think it's the red that's giving it a horror movie vibe, and it's also at odds with the color scheme and overall atmosphere of the actual film.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Slate Action posted:

They don't even do that since their fists are closed. It's more like they're doing the black power sign with both hands.

I always thought it was more like they were going "YAAAAAAY"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Fright Night poster with a ~dreamy~ Colin Farell reminded me of this:

someone buying a disc for a date movie is in for a surprise.
But seriously, Near Dark owns, although it didn't have much luck with the posters before:

(a movie about miners?)

(Jean Michel Jarre in concert!)

These two are pretty good:

And it already had a "romantic" poster before, a dull one unfortunately:

And here are your beloved Mondo knock-offs:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

The Fright Night poster with a ~dreamy~ Colin Farell reminded me of this:

Wait, was Steve Buscemi in Near Dark?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

I Before E posted:

Wait, was Steve Buscemi in Near Dark?

No, but apparently time traveling Zombie David Carradine is.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

ravenkult posted:

If anything, THAT'S how you do a spoiler tag-line.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The lines are probably supposed to be the treadmill belt.

I like the bottom half but agree the color is wrong. Anything would be better for this than red.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

A website called Talenthouse had a contest to design an Olympus Has Fallen poster and this is the one that won.

Apparently that design was worth $3000.

http://www.talenthouse.com/create-artwork-for-olympus-has-fallen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kramjacks posted:

A website called Talenthouse had a contest to design an Olympus Has Fallen poster and this is the one that won.

Apparently that design was worth $3000.

http://www.talenthouse.com/create-artwork-for-olympus-has-fallen

Obscuring the title of the film: always a good idea!