Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

keyframe posted:

Swamp level fight question: how do I beat this loving thing in front of the church entrance? I am running out of ammo and it is still standing

There is a tipped-over box of shotgun shells near base of the area of the collapsed ramp in front of the truck, it never runs out of shells.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaodai posted:

I tried that, several times, even at full "sprint" speed. It just bounces off and stalls out. :saddowns: It was one of the first things I tried, given what you've had to do leading up to it.

You can hold down "shift" to go faster, if you don't know. I bounced off twice until I held it down to get to ramming speed.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

During one boss fight I ended up resorting to throwing knives due to lack of ammo and discovered that a well aimed knife apparently does shitloads of damage because I dropped it in 3 tosses.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can hold down "shift" to go faster, if you don't know. I bounced off twice until I held it down to get to ramming speed.

That's what I meant by full sprint speed. Even at max speed, it just bounces off.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zaodai posted:

That's what I meant by full sprint speed. Even at max speed, it just bounces off.

Have you gone through the side area and y'know, de-bandit-ed it?

It might only let you break through after receiving the objective.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you haven't played Metro 2033, Amazon has it on sale right now for $5 for their PC downloadable version.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cheston posted:

Have you gone through the side area and y'know, de-bandit-ed it?

It might only let you break through after receiving the objective.

Yeah. I did that before I even realized the wall was there. At this point, you've confirmed the solution that initially made sense, so it must just be a bug. I guess I'll redo the chapter and hope it doesn't bug out this time. Thanks.

Speaking of stuff that surprised me in this chapter though, I was surprised to find myself actually rushing headlong, stealth and carefulness be damned, around corners and through that train to save the woman that was getting ready to be raped by bandits. As terrible as it sounds out of context, I think the voice acting was pretty good at that part, in trying to evoke an emotional response and sense of urgency.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Yeah. I did that before I even realized the wall was there. At this point, you've confirmed the solution that initially made sense, so it must just be a bug. I guess I'll redo the chapter and hope it doesn't bug out this time. Thanks.

You might actually be at the one progression blocker that cannot be rammed through. It's a metal fence you have to raise with a switch in the side passage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I just finished up and man, this game was awesome.

Other post apocalypse games don't really look at the whole post apocalypse thing as anything more than just 'bombs fall radiation happens', like it's some sort of really rare kind of weather event or something, but this one had that oppressive dirty feel that made you really wanna just pick humanity off the face of the world like lovely anchovies on an otherwise perfectly fine pizza. If that fine pizza was earth and the anchovy corruption was radioactive mutation nukes.

As for my take on the sex scene I thought you imagined it till the very end when she was holding your kid, I was like "What the gently caress that actually happened!?"

As for the titty physics, I laughed, Also did anyone else buy a lap dance? I certainly didn't, I was like "Dohoho, I remember this trick (dohoho) from the first game, no thanks"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Damegane posted:

You might actually be at the one progression blocker that cannot be rammed through. It's a metal fence you have to raise with a switch in the side passage.

Nah, I know the fence you're talking about. I think that was actually the last fence before the one I'm at now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Motherfucker posted:

I just finished up and man, this game was awesome.

Other post apocalypse games don't really look at the whole post apocalypse thing as anything more than just 'bombs fall radiation happens', like it's some sort of really rare kind of weather event or something, but this one had that oppressive dirty feel that made you really wanna just pick humanity off the face of the world like lovely anchovies on an otherwise perfectly fine pizza. If that fine pizza was earth and the anchovy corruption was radioactive mutation nukes.

Yep, it's pretty much the metro games and the stalker games that get the feel right in my mind, nothing else comes close. poo poo is broken down and people are worn down and everything basically sucks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So wait, despite it having a fairly positive tone, the "bad" ending is still blowing up D6? Is there another ending?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Saw it posted on the last page, but a patch was released that:

-Optimized the game for AMD GPUs
-Fixed the driver crash issues for AMD users
-Added an FOV setting to the user .cfg file

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Well that didn't seem to take long. How does that kind of thing happen even, game being completely broken on a certain brand of graphics cards, but then they're able to fix it in a day or two. Intentional? :tinfoil:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Metanaut posted:

Well that didn't seem to take long. How does that kind of thing happen even, game being completely broken on a certain brand of graphics cards, but then they're able to fix it in a day or two. Intentional? :tinfoil:
Could be they were aware of the issue, but couldn't fix it before the scheduled release date and instead worked on a patch after the game went gold?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

So wait, despite it having a fairly positive tone, the "bad" ending is still blowing up D6? Is there another ending?

Yyyeeep

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Saw it posted on the last page, but a patch was released that:

-Optimized the game for AMD GPUs
-Fixed the driver crash issues for AMD users
-Added an FOV setting to the user .cfg file

I feel a woot coming on. I'll get to the NVG spot and test it out

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Good ending spoilers ahead:

As you reach for the switch to detonate the explosives the little dark one shows up and says "That won't be necessary". Then all of his sleeping friends show up and kick some commie rear end. Artyom then goes on a brief monologue about being forgiven and poo poo and that's about it

I actually like the bad ending more than the good ending.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I am loving this game - I was a fan of the first Metro (I even read the book, which I thought was 'meh').

I agree that the jiggle physics and naked hookers don't really jibe with the mood of the game. OK, so it's an adult game, but it feels really juvenile to include it. Really took me out of my immersion.

Question:

I'm in the swamp and I keep getting picked up by demons and dropped, but they seem impossible to kill or avoid. What am I supposed to do?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Question:

I'm in the swamp and I keep getting picked up by demons and dropped, but they seem impossible to kill or avoid. What am I supposed to do?

Shoot them in the face when they charge. They're slow and dumb and will break off. Shotguns are good for this.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also prefer the "bad" ending, even though it's hardly bad. The good ending seems too preachy, the bad ending fits with the tone of the rest of the game much better. It feels like the logical ending. It's also really weird that the dark ones choose not to save you when they could based on minor details like whether or not you give some homeless people bullets.

Someone earlier mentioned Bioshock Infinite, and while these two games are obviously the best to come out so far this year, and probably the entire year, it's kind of hard to compare the two. They're completely different games. Bioshock obviously had the unbeatable ending, however most of the game was really weak, just a bunch of annoying filler combat scenes. It even had some stupid poo poo like the part where you have to kill that ghost, what the hell was that about? Metro on the other hand was great from beginning to end (with the exception to some frustrating parts). It's world was richly detailed and logical, where's bioshock was just a bunch of shooting happening in a cool looking town. It's enemies had purpose and felt like individuals, where's in Bioshock they were just cannon fodder. Metro really highlights the many places where Bioshock fell ridiculously short. But then again, when was the last time a game broke as much ground as Bioshock Infinite?

What really annoys me is that ultimately Infinite will get much more recognition than Last Light for it's story telling, even though infinite just had an interesting story tacked on to the end of an overall very mediocre game and setting, where's LL was a crafted masterpiece from beginning to end. What's really telling about Infinite's story is just how much of it was told at that final long rear end cutscene. LL is a far better example of what the future of video game story telling should be like, Infinite is just an exercise in trying out something radically new but ultimately disappointing.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 16, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, the Saiga is so good, I can't believe I didn't buy it the first time through the catacombs. So much easier than trying to do it with an AK.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
What the hell, I thought what I got was the good ending. I don't understand what you want from me game. I gave bullets to homeless dudes, spared Pavel and Lesnitsky, and didn't go through every level murdering people. What could I have missed?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snake_in_a_box posted:

What the hell, I thought what I got was the good ending. I don't understand what you want from me game. I gave bullets to homeless dudes, spared Pavel and Lesnitsky, and didn't go through every level murdering people. What could I have missed?

If it's anything like 2033, you get a lot of points by exploring side passages and listening to what people have to say, including enemies in combat areas, along with playing musical instruments.

Speaking of side passages, the room full of ghosts at the rail car part was really well done. They only appear if you glance at them from the side. Look straight on and they vanish.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RBA Starblade posted:

If it's anything like 2033, you get a lot of points by exploring side passages and listening to what people have to say, including enemies in combat areas, along with playing musical instruments.

Speaking of side passages, the room full of ghosts at the rail car part was really well done. They only appear if you glance at them from the side. Look straight on and they vanish.

Yeah I got a TON of the little 'confirmation' noises while I was exploring off the beaten path (I still got the bad ending because I murdered everyone).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So I'm playing metro 2033 for the first time and I just got to the part where bourbon dies. Just curious, were they actually expecting me to stealth my way to that room? I must have murdered two dozen bandits. :laffo:

I just couldn't put this game down last night, even though I had to work early in the morning. The story is spectacular.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So I've been doing the knock out attacks whenever possible but I still end up shooting people on occasion, should I be expecting the bad end?

ethanol posted:

So I'm playing metro 2033 for the first time and I just got the part where bourbon dies. Just curious, were they actually expecting me to stealth my way to that room? I must have murdered two dozen bandits. :laffo:
Not really. Stealth in 2033 is crazy hard until you get the stealth suit.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
Was it just me, or was there no Volt Driver in this game? I didn't find one through my entire playthrough. I was really missing my portable railgun. Of course, I found out that the Tihar owns bones when you fit it with an airtight valve. A fully pumped Tihar pellet goes through helmets and one-shots dudes anywhere on the body if they haven't seen you.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah it was a really good way to induce paranoia in the player. The sheer density of ghosts in that room made it a little less effective than when the effect was used again in the haunted apartments section later on, although walking through that room, pointedly ignoring the ghosts on the beds and focusing on the "clear" path ahead of you, then getting a hanged ghost in your face when you turn to look at the rifle on the corpse was pretty :stonk:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game does a really bad job of checkpointing when you are hosed. The worst is the outdoors parts. At least on Hard there is just not enough filters around. I am tired of restarting chapters and b-lining it through outdoor areas, because good luck if you want to even stop and look at the scenery for 10 seconds.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

This game does a really bad job of checkpointing when you are hosed. The worst is the outdoors parts. At least on Hard there is just not enough filters around. I am tired of restarting chapters and b-lining it through outdoor areas, because good luck if you want to even stop and look at the scenery for 10 seconds.

Tell me about it, I'm stuck at a place where there's a loving wave of enemies and I only have five shotgun rounds left even though I spent all the money I had before the mission buying shotgun shells.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^^Yeah the piles of ammo you are sitting on for the first 4 or 5 hours go away really quick once you start having to face waves of enemies and bosses.

For those you that beat it. How did you beat the chapter "Bridge"? This is a joke. They give 2:00 worth of air at the beginning of the chapter and I cannot find one goddamn filter on the rest of the bridge. I only made it to the upper level because I ran past all of the enemies and there still doesn't seem to be any filters up here. At least that I can find in the 15 seconds I have before I die.

Edit: Of course I beat it the second after I hit post. That part was really dumb though and still don't have any air for the next part.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 16, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

^^^^^Yeah the piles of ammo you are sitting on for the first 4 or 5 hours go away really quick once you start having to face waves of enemies and bosses.

For those you that beat it. How did you beat the chapter "Bridge"? This is a joke. They give 2:00 worth of air at the beginning of the chapter and I cannot find one goddamn filter on the rest of the bridge. I only made it to the upper level because I ran past all of the enemies and there still doesn't seem to be any filters up here. At least that I can find in the 15 seconds I have before I die.

Edit: Of course I beat it the second after I hit post. That part was really dumb though.

I ran through the level on RHC just to check and I found 5 filters before I hit the ticketbooth part where they bring out the mind Nosealis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know if everyone knows this, but if you find a gas mask on a corpse, replacing it (holding E on the mask) will reset your filter timer to five minutes, so it's worthwhile to change out, even if your visor isn't cracked.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^Yea that's important, because there are a lot of masks on corpses all over the place

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I remember in the original game, even on ranger mode you could check how many bullets you have (for all ammo types) by bringing up your watch (Or maybe it was your clipboard). You can't seem to do that anymore. It really sucks being only able to see your ammo when you are at a safe haven.

If I can take a moment to stand still, I can check how many clips are in my bag, drat it :mad:.

Oh and I have to say, it is such a welcome relief to be able to do non-lethal take downs. I didn't realize this till on accident, so I'm sure I missed the first achievement during the break out!

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 16, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The update certainly worked wonders on my 7950. Now running on very high quality and very high tessellation and it's very pretty and smooth.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Still getting a BSOD on my 6950 :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ethanol posted:

The update certainly worked wonders on my 7950. Now running on very high quality and very high tessellation and it's very pretty and smooth.

My Radeon HD 6800 series card still struggles on high and above, but I can run the game much smoother now on normal, with 16x AA and normal motion blur (I have no idea what SSAA is but it drops the framerate significantly), and tessellation off (also tanks it, even on normal). I could probably do high in less populated areas, though. I can hardly notice a difference besides from lighting in it all anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

ethanol posted:

So I'm playing metro 2033 for the first time and I just got to the part where bourbon dies. Just curious, were they actually expecting me to stealth my way to that room? I must have murdered two dozen bandits. :laffo:

I just couldn't put this game down last night, even though I had to work early in the morning. The story is spectacular.

For what it's worth, I'm working through 2033 right now, as well, and that part took me forever because I was trying to stealth through it on one of the Ranger difficulties. I died so many times before I just said gently caress it and started killing everyone with my AK and grenades.

I can't wait to get night vision goggles so that stealth becomes viable.

This game rules, though, and Last Light might end up being one of the first games in a while that I've bought at full price, after I finish 2033.

• Locked thread