Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Bakalakadaka posted:

Mystic knight benefits a lot from the mage augment that makes enchants last longer and the sorcerer augment that makes you cast faster because holy moly they have some long cast times and short weapon enchants.

A good tactic would be to get rings with Trance upgrades on them as well and just equip them before you buff. It may make your play more tedious but circumstances depending it should be beneficial enough to warrant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

a kitten posted:

Tried to take your pawn out, but didn't see your name when I looked for your GT in the rift. Any chance you mis-typed it? If not that, are you in Online mode? The game starts you out offline for some stupid reason.

I haven't had much problem with pawns using those, but maybe I've just gotten lucky. Cockatrice Liquor will cure the whole party of petrification so maybe keep some of those on hand. Having a sorcerer around with High Voidspell will cure it too.

Oops, I had set it for "friends only" as I tend to do by default when dealing with the wasteland that is XBox Live. Fixed it now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

GreatMrPopo posted:

Got this game on Saturday, very enjoyable so far. I'd like to add my character Xantham (strider) and her pawn Phenyl (fighter) to the compendium. PS3 version, Pikachutney is my psn ID if it helps.

My reaction to your pawn : :psyduck:

Then I heard his voice and couldn't take it anymore.

He loves to run into Splosions and likewise throw Barrels at me though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

GreatMrPopo posted:

I'll probably change my Fighter pawn Phenyl into a Mystic knight once I'm higher level.

Unfortunately you won't be able to do that, pawns cannot change to the hybrid vocations - Magick Archer, Mystic Knight, and Assassin.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I've just added myself to the 360 list (GT: FickleAlly, Pawn: Arcteth). Please rent her out, I'm desperate for RC.

Hopefully I can get a mage from one of you lot that actually casts instead of wandering round picking poo poo up in the middle of a fight!

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Why is it that my pawns are so excrutiatingly stupid when it comes to boss battles, yet so efficient at clearing out minions and mini-bosses? I sat around waiting for my maxed out, newly hired challenger/utilitarian sorcerer to attack the undead BBI dragon for five minutes straight before she had the realization that my face was getting eaten. For a 10 minute fight, I can count the amount of spells she brought to the fight on one hand -- and this is a top 100 pawn. :shepicide:

e: Hiring a utilitarian for a damage dealer probably wasn't the best bet. Crisis averted.

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 16, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I know that the Utilitarian inclination causes mage pawns to buff you more often but how does it affect Fighter and Strider pawns?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It makes those guys more prone to put the enemy in compromising positions: A fighter pawn will try and grapple targets and hold them so you can beat them to death, while a strider is more likely to jump on a part of a monster's body to make them off balance (if such a thing is an option); otherwise they'll try and use more of the environment like the tools in their inventory or the bombs sometimes lying around.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Lotish posted:

It makes those guys more prone to put the enemy in compromising positions: A fighter pawn will try and grapple targets and hold them so you can beat them to death, while a strider is more likely to jump on a part of a monster's body to make them off balance (if such a thing is an option); otherwise they'll try and use more of the environment like the tools in their inventory or the bombs sometimes lying around.
Sounds pretty neat, I think I'll experiment with it the next time I decide to play around with my pawns inclinations.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
The only problem I have with my pawn so far is with fighting metal golems. She will constantly try to shoot the golem instead of shooting the talismans.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

zarron posted:

The only problem I have with my pawn so far is with fighting metal golems. She will constantly try to shoot the golem instead of shooting the talismans.

What is your pawn's knowledge on Metal Golems? They might just be trying to hit the mouth of the Golem when it shoots the laser, which actually causes it to keel over for a few seconds!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've run out of demon's periapts and I'm fighting Daimon. He just won't take any damage at all now. Anything I can do other than lift stone out and get some more?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
How is damage calculated for elemental weapons? I have the ice-enchanted longbow on my pawn, and it has high Strength and Magic stats. Do both values contribute to all attacks done with the bow? Or only some?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

PunkBoy posted:

How is damage calculated for elemental weapons? I have the ice-enchanted longbow on my pawn, and it has high Strength and Magic stats. Do both values contribute to all attacks done with the bow? Or only some?

Yes, both strength and magic contribute to damage for any abilities done using the bow. The actual damage calculations are something only god and capcom know, though; elemental multipliers apply to all the damage you deal and they double dip in defense and magic defense, but beyond that you'll require an autistic gamefaqs user to figure the calculations out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Scott Bakula posted:

I've run out of demon's periapts and I'm fighting Daimon. He just won't take any damage at all now. Anything I can do other than lift stone out and get some more?

Wait, does he reset if you do this? I never considered it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm using ninjahedgehog's pawn The Red Wolf right now and he is doing some quality killing. However, I was just fighting the chained gorecyclops in the first strata of BBI and none of my pawns were engaging it, while I was plinking away at it with magic bow techniques. Was it because I was up in the catwalks? The pawns weren't with me (none of them are Guardians, thankfully), they were down on the ground level, but not attacking.

:3: I'm glad to hear it.

Interesting thing I figured out about pawn inclinations, by the way: If anyone is using the Spring Water trick (IE: not using a mage for healing, but just loading up your pawns with healing spring water so they'll heal the entire party automatically), keep a careful eye out on your main pawn's inclination. Every single time they use one to heal the party, their inclination slides towards Nexus surprisingly quickly. And at higher levels, they'll usually use two or three at once.

That said, Nexus actually isn't all that bad. The main quirk they get is that they'll pick up fallen pawns and bring them to you for revival, which used to be a pain in the rear end as you couldn't revive them until they finished their falling-down animation after they were dropped. But I think they changed that in Dark Arisen so you could revive them as soon as they were let go, making Nexus a hell of a lot more useful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, has anyone used my pawn (Marcus) yet? Can anyone offer any ideas for improvement? He got three star ratings and no gifts the last few times.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, has anyone used my pawn (Marcus) yet? Can anyone offer any ideas for improvement? He got three star ratings and no gifts the last few times.

That probably means he died, not that he was bad. Particularly with BBI, pawns are likely to tumble into pits or get 1-shotted by Death.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I am loving this so much. I do find the game a bit rough which is strange as I tore through Dark Souls with ease.

I will hire some pawns from the goons in this thread to send back some gifts. My gamertag is Cappybottoms if anyone needs a strider.

zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I've just added myself to the 360 list (GT: FickleAlly, Pawn: Arcteth). Please rent her out, I'm desperate for RC.

Hopefully I can get a mage from one of you lot that actually casts instead of wandering round picking poo poo up in the middle of a fight!

I took your pawn out for an introduction to BBI. Got a nice amount of RC with her and gave her some nice loot. Is the RC for hired pwns 1:1 or a lesser ratio?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Murodese posted:

Is there much point in using a tank pawn postgame/bbi, or should I just shift my main pawn from fighter to warrior?

I got one million rift crystals in 3 days when I had my pawn set to Fighter for BBI.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I forgot how much fun fighter was to play.

Confident before getting dusted by the double dragons.

Also, please hire some goons Ice King pawn.

Wizard's rule. Keep it tight.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
How do you give items to people? I almost beat this game twice and never done it nor do I see prompts to do so.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zarron posted:

How do you give items to people? I almost beat this game twice and never done it nor do I see prompts to do so.
You must have been hiring only vanilla DD pawns, you can't give items to them (or rate them).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing with my Pawn once he's back to Sorcerering.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Wait, does he reset if you do this? I never considered it.

No idea. Using immolate with the ring that upgrades it was the only way I could hurt him. Took all but 1 of his lifebars using it almost entirely by myself because 2 of the pawns, including my mage healer, died after 2 bars to the vortex spell since I had no way of stunning him. Took 4 wakestones and about 40 different curatives for health and stamina in total because once I was alone he'd cast on himself and knock me off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I hate that vortex move. Boss fights are fun when you have lots of stuff happening, and boiling it down to just one Arisen and the boss really reduces your options.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

zarron posted:

If you're talking about NPCs, hit square/X while talking to them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gildiss posted:

I forgot how much fun fighter was to play.

Confident before getting dusted by the double dragons.

Might have to use him when I start playing again (have to get a new tv tomorrow since the old one broke). Man I'm looking forward to playing this again, but how were the dlcs that got released this past week?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've never had someone sucked in by the vortex. I've seen pawns get dragged all the way to the center but they just seem to be stuck there. Do they only get sucked in if he completes the vortex? I mean there was one time where he channeled for what seemed like forever with my pawns in the middle but I was able to knock him down. Everyone was fine!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I couldn't stun him from range as a magick archer. If I'd had any demon periapts left I might have managed it but for whatever reason as far as I could tell the standard bow attack did more damage than either Ricochet hunter or 6-fold bolt and neither of those would stun him normally. The pawns completely die as well. No way to bring them back during battle. The room with the living armor in before Daimon was a bit poo poo too. Twice I went back to heal my pawns at the rift stone only to have a dragon appear. The first refused to land for a long time and had its heart on its back. The second was a fire drake and was probably the hardest thing I've had to fight other than Daimon. Again did very little damage without any demon's periapts and my pawns were getting killed constantly.

Whats the best way to farm for upgrade rings in BBI 2? I want to get 9-fold bolt before I really make any effort to run through it a second time since I'll probably stop playing once I've managed that. Is it summoning cursed dragons in Darkmoon tower? How do I open the loot doors in there and is there any reliable method for getting the rotten meat or whatever to summon cursed dragons?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do periapts of different types stack? For example could you use 4 Demon and 4 Conqueror and get the full effects of both?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gildiss posted:

I'm using him right now. So far it's going pretty well, but I am not in BBI right now so no serious test of his abilities.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I've never had someone sucked in by the vortex. I've seen pawns get dragged all the way to the center but they just seem to be stuck there. Do they only get sucked in if he completes the vortex? I mean there was one time where he channeled for what seemed like forever with my pawns in the middle but I was able to knock him down. Everyone was fine!

Yeah, if he completes the vortex, those pawns are gone, and if you can't reliably stun him without getting sucked in yourself (which is how it goes for warrior and fighter--jump-attack and he doesn't get stunned, you go in the hole; jump on him and your stamina will drop like a stone resisting the pull, never mind attacking) then goodbye to your pawns unless they were smart enough to start out of his radius the entire time.

Honestly if they could give the red only classes a reliable ranged attack a lot of balance issues would take care of themselves, because the game really seems to call for engagement at multiple ranges.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Scott Bakula posted:

I couldn't stun him from range as a magick archer. If I'd had any demon periapts left I might have managed it but for whatever reason as far as I could tell the standard bow attack did more damage than either Ricochet hunter or 6-fold bolt and neither of those would stun him normally. The pawns completely die as well. No way to bring them back during battle. The room with the living armor in before Daimon was a bit poo poo too. Twice I went back to heal my pawns at the rift stone only to have a dragon appear. The first refused to land for a long time and had its heart on its back. The second was a fire drake and was probably the hardest thing I've had to fight other than Daimon. Again did very little damage without any demon's periapts and my pawns were getting killed constantly.

Whats the best way to farm for upgrade rings in BBI 2? I want to get 9-fold bolt before I really make any effort to run through it a second time since I'll probably stop playing once I've managed that. Is it summoning cursed dragons in Darkmoon tower? How do I open the loot doors in there and is there any reliable method for getting the rotten meat or whatever to summon cursed dragons?
The best "single move" range damage a magick archer can do against Daimon is to get a holy enchantment and then do regular attacks, yes. The advanced ranged strategy is to lure him over to the entrance, which is noticaebly much smaller than the rest of the room. Get him in there and use ricochet shot. If your damage is high enough, he'll be permanently stun locked too.

There's a guaranteed level 3 gear chest right before the double dragon arena. It's in the hallway after the double prisoner gorecyclops. Just climb the blocks and there will be two chests up there. One of which is always a level 3 gear and the other can sometimes be a level 3 novelty (obviously you want the gear though).

RatHat posted:

Do periapts of different types stack? For example could you use 4 Demon and 4 Conqueror and get the full effects of both?
No you can only have 4 buffs active at any given time. The later ones will just bump the other ones off like a queue.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Man I sure wish my first death kill hadn't been knocking him down into the brine with 2 bars left because I need his bits to finish rarefying my gear.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha what, the mimic's death spell can still kill you even if you kill the mimic before the timer goes down.

edit: S-Alpha your warrior pawn isn't aggressive enough but I don't know why. A warrior pawn should basically never not be right up in the enemy's face swinging the sword, but she spent a lot of time wandering around, not near me or the enemy but just off somewhere. It was really weird.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 16, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just got this game today, probably going to go Strider/Rogue on my main. Would it be wiser to go Warrior or Mage on my main pawn, or does it matter? (on 360)

comedy option: make a tiny little mage main character, then have a gigantic ogrish warrior as my pawn to act as my bodyguard.

CVagts fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2013

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I like rolling with all mages so they just constantly stand around healing each other. Makes it impossible to see anything, but they really seem to enjoy it.

In all seriousness, I made my main pawn a mage because I like being healed and the buffs, and knowing I'll always have that with me, so I can just get whatever goon pawns look fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

I just got this game today, probably going to go Strider/Rogue on my main. Would it be wiser to go Warrior or Mage on my main pawn, or does it matter? (on 360)

comedy option: make a tiny little mage main character, then have a gigantic ogrish warrior as my pawn to act as my bodyguard.

I've always gone mage for my pawn because having a reliable healer and more important buffer makes a massive difference to playing since I've never gone Mystic Knight. It doesn't matter too much in the end so long as you don't mind searching for pawns or just use goon pawns though. Searching is really shittily implemented though since you can't check pawn inclinations until they're summoned to the rift and finding the mage spell combination you want is rare. I've been running Magick Archer(Me)/Mage (main pawn)/fighter/ranger for some time now and finding a non-goon pawn ranger that isn't totally useless is near impossible.

I'd also really recommend playing magick archer. They're the most versatile class and setting yourself on fire then climbing things is a lot of fun.

• Locked thread