Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pigglesthepup posted:

The intent was to screw with Cloud's mind in order to break his will and manipulate him, not convince Tifa. Sephiroth shuts Tifa down and out by threatening to show "what's in her heart." He's playing off her emotions very well. She turns away. Cloud breaks.

If Cloud doesn't believe he's the real Cloud, then he doesn't believe he went to Nibelheim five years ago. It makes it possible, in (broken) Cloud's mind, that the real Cloud (or anyone) did return to Nibelheim, and he could have very well looked like Zack as far as a schizo, amnesic mind-broken Cloud would know. It's also further explained that Jenova has the ability to copy and project the memories of others. The point is to deceive the Cloud of his identity, and part of that is to discredit what Cloud perceives as Tifa's opinion. Cloud even states that the only thing that matters is Tifa's "attitude" (which may as well mean "opinion"), and she says "No, that's not true, Cloud..."

So Tifa, as Cloud's only anchor to reality in this scene, isn't reliable. So he breaks because he can't rely on his own memories. It doesn't matter what Sephiroth said five years ago to someone who may have been from that town because Cloud doesn't trust in the reality he believed in anymore.
Why Sephiroth is doing what he does doesn't change the fact that he inadvertently left in a detail that was contradictory to the story he was telling. If Cloud and Tifa weren't freaking out, they might have been able to pick up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Why Sephiroth is doing what he does doesn't change the fact that he inadvertently left in a detail that was contradictory to the story he was telling. If Cloud and Tifa weren't freaking out, they might have been able to pick up on it.

Well, the thing is he didn't leave it in by accident. He gave them a completely accurate vision of what happened, and he really did say that. I don't think he was actually capable of changing the memory, but since it was a memory that had been repressed already he took the opportunity to bring it up to gently caress with Cloud.

pigglesthepup
Apr 28, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

But Cloud and Tifa were freaking out. It's dramatic irony: you, the player as audience, sees something that the characters in the story don't. It's the "there's something to this whole thing..." effect on the audience. It keeps us interested in what's going on.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

apostateCourier posted:

You remember the picnic area with the table, plates, and the thing that Cody sneaks into the studio through?

Look up. That sure is a blue "ceiling."
...I don't like what you're saying but :stonk:

Okay enough of that, back to this.

Paracelsus posted:

What was the detail that Sephiroth left in, just to see if they could figure it out on their own or not? It's been a while so I'm kinda trying to flick through everything in my head about what he said.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I just realized, for being (arguably) the most discussed video game badguy, we rarely meet Sephiroth face to face. And yes, technically the only time we've ACTUALLY seen Sephiroth was in the Northern Cave in the Lifestream cocoon. But still, the physical appearances by Seph only happen in a few places to this point:

The boat from Junon to Costa Del Sol
The basement of the mansion in Nibelheim
Temple of the Ancients
City of the Ancients
Northern Cave

In most FF games the villain seems to show up at every possible opportunity to gently caress with the party. It's pretty awesome that Sephiroth only has to physically appear when he/Jenova need to redirect Cloud to continue on to the Northern Cave. I don't really have a point to this, just an observation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I played through this game when it came out... at an... 8(?) year old. Good god, I can't believe my reading comprehension was so bad then. I have always thought Cloud was a clone and that was the twist. poo poo, the fact he isn't is so great.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dauntasa posted:

Well, the thing is he didn't leave it in by accident. He gave them a completely accurate vision of what happened, and he really did say that. I don't think he was actually capable of changing the memory, but since it was a memory that had been repressed already he took the opportunity to bring it up to gently caress with Cloud.
It wasn't completely accurate, though, it was edited for effect; if he'd been completely forthcoming he would have had to reveal that it was Cloud who shanked him. If he'd realized what the implications were he probably should have elided that line as well, but either the concept of things like being from a place doesn't have much meaning to him and thus he didn't notice the problem, or the writers didn't notice either.

FinalGamer posted:

What was the detail that Sephiroth left in, just to see if they could figure it out on their own or not? It's been a while so I'm kinda trying to flick through everything in my head about what he said.
I don't think he meant to, hence why I said inadvertently. He remarked that someone in his group was coming back to their hometown for the first time in years, which that means there was someone in the party from Nibelheim and it wasn't Zack.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So I was looking back at the first version of the flashback in Kalm, and I just realized that every time I'd played this game I'd forgotten all about the bit where Cloud talks to his mom by the time I got to the real version of the flashback. Where she goes "So is that a SOLDIER uniform?" and everything suddenly gets all weird and Cloud refuses to talk about it anymore. That actually makes sense now.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dauntasa posted:

So I was looking back at the first version of the flashback in Kalm, and I just realized that every time I'd played this game I'd forgotten all about the bit where Cloud talks to his mom by the time I got to the real version of the flashback. Where she goes "So is that a SOLDIER uniform?" and everything suddenly gets all weird and Cloud refuses to talk about it anymore. That actually makes sense now.

Hot. Diggity. Day-um.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aces High posted:

With all that aside I will take a 180 and talk about why I also hate this game. As people have said above there are many :airquote:fans:airquote: of this game but there are VERY few people who have played the game. I know people that go on and on and ON about how awesome Cloud is and how they love how tormented and emo he is and I always sit back going "why do you like someone who hates their life?" only now to learn that these people don't love Cloud, they love this fabrication that THEY created. To be completely honest I hate this game because of the fanbase and what that wrought on the game world, if some people payed attention to one of the Kingdom Hearts LPs from a few years back they may remember me raging on about how much I despised that game and, while my hate has tempered in recent years, now that I am getting a full experience for FFVII, the trend-setter for most jrpgs and anything Square-Enix related, I am getting a better idea for why I have so much hate. The creators saw what people seemed to remember about this game, they thought Cloud was just some hopeless schmuck who has nothing to live for anymore and that is all I see him written as now.

This is a fantastic game but everything that is being written about it by the people who also supposedly love it is just so wrong that I can't help but end up despising the game because of its fanbase. Maybe I'm just a crazy hipster but it is how I feel and I don't want these feelings of hate to over shadow how happy I am for this LP to have occurred.

:siren: You've just revealed something so ironic it has to be profound.

These fans of this game have false memories of a game the didn't play, featuring characters that never existed, and these fantasies are corroborated by other like minded fans that have twisted the truth.

They are doing this over Final Fantasy VII.

A game that features as a major point of the story, a person who has false memories about a visit that didn't happen, to a town that no longer exists, and this fantasy is corroborated by a close friend who has twisted the truth of what actually happened. This major plot point is very often glossed over by these fans.

:psyduck:

Fiction has approximately gently caress all on reality.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I think I said earlier in the thread that I haven't played this game and I'm glad I didn't when it came out. I would not have appreciated the writing. Maybe someday I'll scrounge up a system to play it, but this LP is at least showing me what all the fuss is about.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I think I said earlier in the thread that I haven't played this game and I'm glad I didn't when it came out. I would not have appreciated the writing. Maybe someday I'll scrounge up a system to play it, but this LP is at least showing me what all the fuss is about.

It's available on PSN for :10bux: if you have a PS3 and feel like picking it up.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008

Dauntasa posted:

Also, in the scene with Airbuster and President Shinra at reactor 5, the president remembers hearing that a SOLDIER has joined AVALANCHE, but he can't remember cloud personally.

It makes complete sense at the time, since the president says he can't remember everyone unless they're "another Sephiroth", but he points out Clouds eyes, so he must be that SOLDIER. Cloud just repeats Sephiroth's name, seemingly confused by what he just heard.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Aces High posted:

With all that aside I will take a 180 and talk about why I also hate this game. As people have said above there are many :airquote:fans:airquote: of this game but there are VERY few people who have played the game. I know people that go on and on and ON about how awesome Cloud is and how they love how tormented and emo he is and I always sit back going "why do you like someone who hates their life?" only now to learn that these people don't love Cloud, they love this fabrication that THEY created. To be completely honest I hate this game because of the fanbase and what that wrought on the game world, if some people payed attention to one of the Kingdom Hearts LPs from a few years back they may remember me raging on about how much I despised that game and, while my hate has tempered in recent years, now that I am getting a full experience for FFVII, the trend-setter for most jrpgs and anything Square-Enix related, I am getting a better idea for why I have so much hate. The creators saw what people seemed to remember about this game, they thought Cloud was just some hopeless schmuck who has nothing to live for anymore and that is all I see him written as now.

This is a fantastic game but everything that is being written about it by the people who also supposedly love it is just so wrong that I can't help but end up despising the game because of its fanbase. Maybe I'm just a crazy hipster but it is how I feel and I don't want these feelings of hate to over shadow how happy I am for this LP to have occurred.

CzarChasm posted:

These fans of this game have false memories of a game the didn't play, featuring characters that never existed, and these fantasies are corroborated by other like minded fans that have twisted the truth.

A game that features as a major point of the story, a person who has false memories about a visit that didn't happen, to a town that no longer exists, and this fantasy is corroborated by a close friend who has twisted the truth of what actually happened. This major plot point is very often glossed over by these fans.

This entire post, somehow, must now be preserved for eternity.

Jesus christ I should have spotted this sooner, I am missing so much stuff today :cripes:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
This seemed worth sharing for the Hojo scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmr2cwSFvs8

Also it's a promo for a Final Fantasy speedrun charity marathon coming up soon so if that's your thing take a look! http://www.thespeedgamers.com/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If anyone's avoiding youtube links because of spoilers (yes there are still more to come) in the comments and related videos, go to polsy.org.uk and paste the link in there

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

CzarChasm posted:

I can go one better!

Square Enix, aware of the discrepancy between fans memories of the game and the events of the game itself, gives those fans stories that latch on in a very loose sense to the facts of the original. It brings in fantastic elements and superhuman abilities, hammering home the message that this is exactly what the main premise of the series is, so that these fans will continue to bring them gold in the form of buying merchandise and Extended Universe materials and promoting tie-ins with other works and series'.

Their main lynch-pin in a lot of this material is playing Sephiroth up as a beautiful, sinister and magical lead villain character whose conflict with the idealized protagonist is one of just this same kind of magic and superhuman action. Underneath the surface, Sephiroth was simply a trickster and a manipulator, controlling the psychologically vulnerable Cloud into bringing him what he needed to dominate the world. Yes, had a certain amount of clout once upon a time but, when confronted with this ability to gain power through illusion and deception through the alien forces he discovered he could wield for himself, opened the way for his own defeat at the hands of an ordinary but emotionally complex soldier.

Square predicted their own failure by casting themselves as the villain of their own work.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MSPaintClock posted:

I'm so excited for Final Fantasy XIII Versus if that's the case, because it's been in pre-production phase for years.

And it looks loving interesting.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/versus13/

I'm really excited for Versus too, because with Nomura at the helm it could be as good as The World Ends With You. I'm convinced that it's just been held off due to Final Fantasy XIII and XIV: A Realm Reborn needing everyone to stop their own projects to help finish them, and Nomura's just been cracking out a few KH games until he can finish Versus. It's been rumoured that Sony, the worst keeper of secrets in the industry, is collaborating with Square Enix to make it a PS4 game, and that's what SE was referring to as the new FF game they're revealing at E3. I'm looking forward to being hopelessly enthusiastic until the actual announcement that it's a console port of All The Bravest.

Anyway, I'm glad that there are some people who look past the Extended Universe and impressions from the first 30 minutes to actually see what made this game so great. It's a shame that the script is simply too big for a fan translation to be easily made, even though technically it's simple to replace dialogue in the PC version. It supposedly has three times the amount of dialogue compared to FFVI, so a proper cohesive translation would be a fantastic, and more important than any graphical remake.

pigglesthepup
Apr 28, 2013

Indeterminacy posted:

I can go one better!

Square Enix, aware of the discrepancy between fans memories of the game and the events of the game itself, gives those fans stories that latch on in a very loose sense to the facts of the original. It brings in fantastic elements and superhuman abilities, hammering home the message that this is exactly what the main premise of the series is, so that these fans will continue to bring them gold in the form of buying merchandise and Extended Universe materials and promoting tie-ins with other works and series'.

Their main lynch-pin in a lot of this material is playing Sephiroth up as a beautiful, sinister and magical lead villain character whose conflict with the idealized protagonist is one of just this same kind of magic and superhuman action. Underneath the surface, Sephiroth was simply a trickster and a manipulator, controlling the psychologically vulnerable Cloud into bringing him what he needed to dominate the world. Yes, had a certain amount of clout once upon a time but, when confronted with this ability to gain power through illusion and deception through the alien forces he discovered he could wield for himself, opened the way for his own defeat at the hands of an ordinary but emotionally complex soldier.

Square predicted their own failure by casting themselves as the villain of their own work.

And they continue to cast Cloud in these roles, using him as a...puppet.

No wonder Cloud went emo. Dude can't know of his real self and just have it. He's been imprisoned by his creators.

There needs to be a "Free Cloud" movement. :colbert:

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008
Despite how much Cloud VS Sephiroth is played up in Kingdom Hearts and the EU I find it interesting that the two of them have very little history as being "rivals". During the first flashback Cloud described him as a war buddy, but now we see that the two of them barely knew each other personally. While Cloud idolized the legendary soldier, Sephiroth only knew Cloud as some grunt from Nibelheim no more than he knew about the other mooks under his command. Hell I feel like Sephiroth only started finding out who Cloud was on the cargo ship at Junon, probably using Jenova mind powers or something and that would just have been because of Jenova Cells.

Elentor posted:

Chapter 27 - It's a Boat time

(I think there's also a line where Sephiroth asks "Cloud? Cloud who?")

Maybe he recognised Cloud as that kid who threw him off of a bridge, or realised that he could control Cloud and that he would be useful. Either way I quite like the idea that Cloud harbours massive resentment for the guy, and Sephiroth just looks back and goes "Wait who are you? Hey I could use you as a puppet, whoever you are:downs:"

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010

Rygorous posted:

Despite how much Cloud VS Sephiroth is played up in Kingdom Hearts and the EU I find it interesting that the two of them have very little history as being "rivals". During the first flashback Cloud described him as a war buddy, but now we see that the two of them barely knew each other personally. While Cloud idolized the legendary soldier, Sephiroth only knew Cloud as some grunt from Nibelheim no more than he knew about the other mooks under his command. Hell I feel like Sephiroth only started finding out who Cloud was on the cargo ship at Junon, probably using Jenova mind powers or something and that would just have been because of Jenova Cells.

(I think there's also a line where Sephiroth asks "Cloud? Cloud who?")

Maybe he recognised Cloud as that kid who threw him off of a bridge, or realised that he could control Cloud and that he would be useful. Either way I quite like the idea that Cloud harbours massive resentment for the guy, and Sephiroth just looks back and goes "Wait who are you? Hey I could use you as a puppet, whoever you are:downs:"
Sephiroth knew who Cloud was. Remember he personally opened up the door to Cloud's cell in the Shinra Building and left the sword in Shinra's body just to tell Cloud that he had returned. Also when he says that he doesn't know who Cloud is he is alluding to the fact that Cloud was never in SOLDIER and never went to Nibelheim. He's been laying out the whole dramatic Northern Crater Mindbreak from day one.

Sephiroth didn't really need a pawn. Remember Jenova which Sephiroth had control over could detach just a single tentacle which would transform into another giant Jenova creature. He could have easily just sacrificed one of those arms to get the Black Materia. He didn't just want to get the Black Materia though. He wanted to take it from Cloud in order to show Cloud how powerless he really was.

The men in black aren't so much servants as they are unwanted followers. The only reason I think he kept them around for so long was simply to gently caress with Cloud.

If Sephiroth didn't know who Cloud was then the whole boat sequence wouldn't have even gone down. Heck I doubt Sephiroth would even have bothered killing Shinra if he didn't know who Cloud was. It's not like Shinra Inc is even a threat to Sephiroth. The plot of FF7 where Sephiroth had never known Cloud would be that Cloud simply one day looked up and spotted Meteor in the sky since frankly speaking Jenova can fly and easily get the Black Materia and return it to the Northern Crater in just 2-3 days. The whole world would go into a panic trying to stop it and Sephiroth would be sitting in his cave laughing the whole time since no one except maybe Aeris would even know he had been the one to summon it.

CzarChasm posted:

Wow. The fans are the proof that this sort of thing could happen in real life. I find that positively scary and at the same time maybe the most amazing thing I have ever heard.

pigglesthepup posted:

I think I know what you might be referring to, but I too am going to wait for the LP to get there. I'd like to clarify what I meant by Cloud stumbling upon Jenova's chamber at Shinra HQ, but that's kinda hard without it being a major spoiler. However, as for Sephiroth fuming about it...I wouldn't go with "fuming," but certainly frustrated about being trapped in a giant materia with no feasible way to carry out his master plan. Still not sure about always planned.

I'm going to stick with there being an element of revenge because of how much Cloud was manipulated.

Using one of the mindless, black caped clones to get the Black Materia would have been waaayy easier instead of duping Cloud into getting it. Sephiroth goes out of his way to mentally breakdown and manipulate Cloud. But he just had to have Cloud do it. Because being demented takes priority over being efficient.
I've been thinking about what you said about Sephiroth's comment to Cloud as he is leaving the reactor with Jenova's head. "Just like you" is a hell of a comment in the context of that scene since it implies all sorts of poo poo about Cloud's past as a Shinra Soldier if it was actually directed at Cloud. Not only does it imply Sephiroth might have personally known Cloud a bit more than the game lets on but it says they have history and in that time Cloud proved he had what it took to actually land a direct hit on Sephiroth. He may be a grunt but in order to even work with Sephiroth I imagine it would have required quite a few accomplishments on his part to get to that level. Basically Cloud is as elite as a Shinra grunt could get.

Of course this could all just be a translation error but this part of the game isn't really poorly translated.

FrancisYorkMorgan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 17, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Cloud and Sephiroth having borderline homoerotic rivalry might be the most obnoxious part of the EU.

Sephiroth didn't really give a gently caress. I mean yeah, Jenova did open that cell door to release one of the pawns, but it's not like Sephiroth specifically groomed Cloud for the job. The joke is that you see all those pathetic black caped dudes limping after Sephiroth and trying to get the black materia so they can give it to him... Which is exactly what you were doing. Cloud probably wasn't special to him in any other real sense that he was the most useful of them.

I doubt the line "Just like you" has that kind of implications. It wouldn't really make sense for Cloud to be so broken up about not making it to SOLDIER if he had gone that far in the regular military. It'd kind of undermine a lot if the plottwists was that instead of being a super-badass SOLDIER operative the main character is actually just a regular nobody grunt a super-badass special operative in different outfit.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 17, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FrancisYorkMorgan posted:

Sephiroth knew who Cloud was.

It's also possible he saw "dude with Jenova cells but a weak will who is furthermore hanging out with the last Ancient" and decided, hey, I could USE this.

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

BioMe posted:

I doubt the line "Just like you" has that kind of implications.

The Japanese line is "おまえごときに…" It's more like "The likes of you...", which doesn't necessarily show much familiarity. So I'd say Sephiroth doesn't really know Cloud that well, he just knows that he's some grunt who shouldn't matter, thus the disbelief.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Reading these last few updates and the replies to them made me realize a funny thing about the EU and the plot points it actually manages to retain.

Yeah, they gently caress up Cloud's characterization and a ton of Sephiroth's character too, to the point that they're basically hollow imitations of the characters we're seeing here. I would bet if they did a remake of FFVII from the ground up they would completely butcher the story as it is here. But Sephiroth's unhealthy obsession with Cloud? The one the EU loves so much and that people say is another character exaggeration? That really DID originate from FFVII, going by all the statements about Sephiroth's literally sitting in a cave for five years to figure out how best to gently caress up the no-name grunt who threw him down a reactor shaft.

Of course I could be completely misinterpreting this and regardless, it did get massively exacerbated in all the related material but it seems like it's there. It's amusing that of all the terrible things the EU created that flew in the face of the original story, probably one of the most famous and maligned facets originated from the game all the abominations in the EU descended from.

pigglesthepup
Apr 28, 2013

Sephiroth knew who Cloud was. Remember he personally opened up the door to Cloud's cell in the Shinra Building and left the sword in Shinra's body just to tell Cloud that he had returned. Also when he says that he doesn't know who Cloud is he is alluding to the fact that Cloud was never in SOLDIER and never went to Nibelheim. He's been laying out the whole dramatic Northern Crater Mindbreak from day one.

Sephiroth didn't really need a pawn. Remember Jenova which Sephiroth had control over could detach just a single tentacle which would transform into another giant Jenova creature. He could have easily just sacrificed one of those arms to get the Black Materia. He didn't just want to get the Black Materia though. He wanted to take it from Cloud in order to show Cloud how powerless he really was.

The men in black aren't so much servants as they are unwanted followers. The only reason I think he kept them around for so long was simply to gently caress with Cloud.

If Sephiroth didn't know who Cloud was then the whole boat sequence wouldn't have even gone down. Heck I doubt Sephiroth would even have bothered killing Shinra if he didn't know who Cloud was. It's not like Shinra Inc is even a threat to Sephiroth. The plot of FF7 where Sephiroth had never known Cloud would be that Cloud simply one day looked up and spotted Meteor in the sky since frankly speaking Jenova can fly and easily get the Black Materia and return it to the Northern Crater in just 2-3 days. The whole world would go into a panic trying to stop it and Sephiroth would be sitting in his cave laughing the whole time since no one except maybe Aeris would even know he had been the one to summon it.

Sephiroth is Norman Bates meets Hannibal Lecter.

quote:

I've been thinking about what you said about Sephiroth's comment to Cloud as he is leaving the reactor with Jenova's head. "Just like you" is a hell of a comment in the context of that scene since it implies all sorts of poo poo about Cloud's past as a Shinra Soldier if it was actually directed at Cloud. Not only does it imply Sephiroth might have personally known Cloud a bit more than the game lets on but it says they have history and in that time Cloud proved he had what it took to actually land a direct hit on Sephiroth. He may be a grunt but in order to even work with Sephiroth I imagine it would have required quite a few accomplishments on his part to get to that level. Basically Cloud is as elite as a Shinra grunt could get.

Of course this could all just be a translation error but this part of the game isn't really poorly translated.

The "just like you" line would fit into Sephiroth's dislike for the human race (after all that reading he did in the basement), but it doesn't because he asks Cloud that personal questions about visiting his hometown. How would Sephiroth know it was Cloud's hometown or even ask him about it in such a personal way? Why would he even care? It's an implication of something. Translation issue, maybe, but they put those lines in the script.

I agree with the Cloud having needed to accomplish things to work directly under someone like Sephiroth. The one part of the FF7 universe that I always wanted to know more was exactly what Cloud did during those two years in the military as a grunt. Part of the reason I want to play Crisis Core, but since bastardizing Cloud has been Square's modus operandi lately...

BioMe posted:

I doubt the line "Just like you" has that kind of implications. It wouldn't really make sense for Cloud to be so broken up about not making it to SOLDIER if he had gone that far in the regular military. It'd kind of undermine a lot if the plottwists was that instead of being a super-badass SOLDIER operative the main character is actually just a regular nobody grunt a super-badass special operative in different outfit.

But Cloud had a massive inferiority complex. He had to make SOLDIER because it was the best of the best. There's different ranks within a regular army of grunts, but Cloud wanted to make SOLDIER, not the regular army. It's like becoming a Naval Seal. It's ultra-elite. Cloud really wanted that to prove himself. Any less wasn't good enough.

vgperson posted:

The Japanese line is "おまえごときに…" It's more like "The likes of you...", which doesn't necessarily show much familiarity. So I'd say Sephiroth doesn't really know Cloud that well, he just knows that he's some grunt who shouldn't matter, thus the disbelief.

I would agree if Sephiroth wasn't also asking him a personal question about visiting his hometown. Why Sephiroth bother asking a nameless grunt? And if dismissing him to visit family (as he did in the first flashback) is still credible, why would do that too? He's doesn't have to ask these questions or, as his commanding officer, give that permission. Why would he care?

Also not implying any homo-eroticism, or former BFFs, or even a close relationship, just that they were a military unit and commanding officers learn things about their underlings because they're in charge of them. Even if this was Cloud's first mission with Sephiroth, Sephiroth would need to know his unit because it's part of his job.

pigglesthepup fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 17, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So earlier in the thread I made a comparison between Cloud and Agent York from Deadly Premonition based on the reveal-to-come. But now that the cat's out of the bag, I'm just going to outright ask for a fanart of York cosplaying Cloud while talking to Zackh about bad jRPGs.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Cloud could have just casually mentioned his hometown in a conversation with the other grunt while Sephiroth was in earshot, and the latter wasn't a big enough douche back then to completely forget a detail about his subordinate that he just learned.

And Shinra could have just assigned him to Sephiroth for this one mission specifically because he knew the area, and "check up on the reactor" is a pretty low maintenance job anyway. It's odder that two SOLDIERs were assigned to the job, and they were probably meant to check on Jenova or something with the official reason as a cover.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

That was Jenova in a Sephiroth suit.

pigglesthepup
Apr 28, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was Jenova in a Sephiroth suit.

Best way to describe all of Sephiroth's appearances outside of the Northern Cave. :golfclap:

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's also possible he saw "dude with Jenova cells but a weak will who is furthermore hanging out with the last Ancient" and decided, hey, I could USE this.

BioMe posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth having borderline homoerotic rivalry might be the most obnoxious part of the EU.

Sephiroth didn't really give a gently caress. I mean yeah, Jenova did open that cell door to release one of the pawns, but it's not like Sephiroth specifically groomed Cloud for the job. The joke is that you see all those pathetic black caped dudes limping after Sephiroth and trying to get the black materia so they can give it to him... Which is exactly what you were doing. Cloud probably wasn't special to him in any other real sense that he was the most useful of them.

If Sephiroth saw Cloud as having any value then Sephiroth was a complete moron since he never needed a tool like Cloud to begin with. Why wait for Cloud to lug his rear end all the way to the Temple of the Ancients when Sephiroth could just have Jenova fly there herself after getting the Keystone. Eject an arm to get the Black Materia and then fly the Materia back to the Northern Crater. Why wait for Cloud before he killed Aeris? If we are assuming Sephiroth is so competent then he would have just killed her and been done with. Instead he waited for Cloud to show up so he could mind control him to do it as a means of hurting Cloud further. When that failed he jumped down to deliver the killing blow himself as Jenova.

If Sephiroth always knew it was Cloud then it explains why he did everything that he did. Why go to Nibelheim again? Why specifically wait in the basement of the mansion just to lecture Cloud about how he is unworthy to be part of the reunion that is about to take place. Think about it. Jenova has no reason to do such a thing. Sephiroth has every reason. More than anyone else Sephiroth is trapped in the shadow of what happened 5 years ago. Not because of the horrors of what he did but because he can't get over Cloud humiliating him. When he was at the very height of his power and the so called chosen one destined to return the world back to the control of the ancients a lone grunt appeared out of nowhere and not only wounded him but then proceeded to kill him.

By denying that Sephiroth did most of what he did in order to gently caress with Cloud then you are actually making this game harder to understand. Everything that happened during the first disc is easily explained by Sephiroth's motivation to humiliate and destroy Cloud. By denying that such motivation was in any way important to his behavior then frankly you are denying yourself the ability to make sense of any of his actions during the first disc since the only way they even make sense is by acknowledging the fact that from the beginning Sephiroth had two objectives.

Objective A: Summon Meteor and Become a God
Objective B: RUIN CLOUD'S LIFE IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE AND HAVE HIM PERSONALLY DELIVER THE BLACK MATERIA TO ME

If he had just pursed objective A then Cloud is never important. Neither are the men in black. He can do all of that on his own without anyone even knowing he was going to summon meteor. Objective B is why he spent so long just screwing with Cloud and hinting that Cloud was a failure and not a real member of SOLDIER. He wanted to undermine Cloud's confidence and slowly fill him with doubts that way he could eventually rip him to pieces at the Northern Crater. On the ship he purposefully denied Cloud's identity so he could later deny he took part at Nibelheim or was even Cloud to begin with. The encounter at the mansion was to law the foundation for him being just a clone and a puppet. The Temple of the Ancients and Forgotten City were where he built on the foundation that Cloud was just a puppet with no real will or say of his own. The Northern Crater was where he finally broke Cloud and convinced him that in the end he was nothing but a clone and a failure at that. In doing so he finally destroyed Cloud enough that he could then have Cloud deliver the Black Materia to him willingly.

vgperson posted:

Yeah see that fits more than "Just like you."

Also it shows how angry Sephiroth was that he managed to even get hit by some grunt like Cloud to begin with. It really riled him up good. Sephiroth's biggest weakness is his pride in the end.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

vgperson posted:

Crisis Core changing his line to "How dare you?" backs this up. Speaking of...

pigglesthepup posted:

The one part of the FF7 universe that I always wanted to know more was exactly what Cloud did during those two years in the military as a grunt. Part of the reason I want to play Crisis Core, but since bastardizing Cloud has been Square's modus operandi lately...

Crisis Core actually handles Cloud pretty well, which is surprising for EU. I'd point to the Crisis Core LP, but apparently it hasn't updated since March and hasn't gotten all that far yet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to ask you guys to tone down EU talk a bit. The EU answers a lot of questions posted in this thread which I want to remain open for a reason.

At this point it's not so much spoilers (you guys have been doing ok with that) as much as consistency. I want to stick to the vision of the original game, the questions it arises and what not. The EU pretty much answers everything and whatever else is left has been given an official response from the devs.

When the LP is over I will open EU talk, but I'd like to ask you guys to control yourselves a bit right now.

While we're at it - how many more of you guys still following the thread have never played the game? I saw some throughout the past pages, and while the input of past players is important, I really, really enjoy reading the feedback from people who never played it before since they come far and few.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

While we're at it - how many more of you guys still following the thread have never played the game? I saw some throughout the past pages, and while the input of past players is important, I really, really enjoy reading the feedback from people who never played it before since they come far and few.

Never touched it myself. I'm one of those that was interested but never got a copy and sat down to it. And yeah, while this is probably the best FF now that we've hit all these plot points, I remember my friends who had played it and they mentioned none of this poo poo beyond Aeris being dead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

CzarChasm posted:

:stare:

:catstare:

:staredog:

:psyboom:

Gee, and I thought I was just raving like a rabid madman

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Elentor posted:

Does never finishing it count? I played until Aeris died, which, as a young teenager, pissed me off so much (because I had invested considerably into leveling her) that I quit and never played again.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Elentor posted:

I've only played a few minutes of the game (I think it was the flashback in Kalm and a few battles and then I stopped because it was very slow on my cousin's PSP Go), but it's really cool how this game is playing out and how some have misinterpreted it since it was released 15 years ago. Pretty neat, if you ask me. :allears:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Elentor posted:

I've only played up to the point where you first get the Black Materia and am coming to understand why some of my friends liked this game so much back when it came out... Despite most of what you hear about the game being "Aeris dies", "Summon <X> is awesome!", "Sephiroth is a badass", etc.

No-one has ever mentioned this part to me before and it's fantastic to see someone showing why the game is good not just hearing what people remember.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

I bought FF VII as my first Playstation game and I completed it twice before shelving it for good. I just have to say that you have no idea how happy I am that you've finally reached this point of the plot, Elentor. As you said, most people focus on Aeris death but this was one of the pivotal moments of the plot that really stuck with me when I played the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

... be as good as The World Ends With You.

Okay, could someone please explain what is so good about that game? I've played it twice for a half hour and I just can't get into it. IRC it was just a generic rhythm game.

• Locked thread