Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
Ok, so I found custom Steam icons for WMC and XBMC and added them as non-Steam games so that when my HTPC boots Steam auto-starts and I can then switch between any of the three programs. The one issue I'm having and I think it might be a Steam Big Picture mode issue is that when I return to Steam Big Picture mode from XBMC there is no audio. I have exclusive mode selected in my audio device because that's the only way to get bitstreaming HD audio to work in XBMC. If I close XBMC, return to Steam Big Picture, then switch to WMC I get audio just fine. For some reason once I switch to any other program and it seems to happen with games even though I only tried Sleeping Dogs last night, when I return to Steam I get no audio. I know this might not be strictly related to XBMC but maybe someone else is trying to do the same thing and ran into this problem as well and could provide a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get that issue sometimes on my Windows box with XBMC - it'll even put a notification on the screen saying it can't use the sound driver. I tend to exit XBMC, get something else to trigger a sound then go back into it. Not really the best solution so I'm glad it doesn't happen often.

In XBMC 13 I keep getting a message asking if I'm happy with my resolution setting each time I hit \ in order to switch between Full Screen and WIndowed modes. Highly irritating and I can't find a menu option with regards to it. Anyone else had this and found a way to tell it to stop? Maybe something in the advancedsettings.xml file?

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

I think I have an alternate solution. I already had XBMC integrated into WMC along with Boxee and Netflix before Boxee died and I got a smart TV that has a better Netflix solution than the crappy Windows 7 version using the tool found here: http://boxeewmc.teknowebworks.com/. I can change the location of the exe to the Steam.exe in the registry and update the icon to a Steam icon and confirmed that it successfully starts whatever application you enter in the registry and returns back to WMC once you exit it. The one issue I have is that the menu entry in WMC is labeled as Boxee even though I updated the Registration.xml document that labels the menu entry. It might just have been that it locked it in the first time I ran WMC and WMC won't allow me to update the menu entry. I'll try to rename the menu entry in the Registration.xml document before I run WMC the first time after installing the Boxee integration tool on my main PC and see what happens. It's a minor thing but it sucks to get this close to fairly seamless integration between WMC, XBMC, and Steam and have this one little annoyance.

Edit: Ok, I figured it out. I can use Media Center Studio to rename the Boxee WMC menu item to Steam. Now I have Steam Big Picture mode, XBMC, and WMC all rolled together that can be controlled by either my Xbox 360 controller or Harmony remote. WMC not being in focus when you return from a program is annonying but easily remedied by clicking the Green button.

Mike Hock fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 16, 2013

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

The pHo posted:

I get that issue sometimes on my Windows box with XBMC - it'll even put a notification on the screen saying it can't use the sound driver. I tend to exit XBMC, get something else to trigger a sound then go back into it. Not really the best solution so I'm glad it doesn't happen often.

In XBMC 13 I keep getting a message asking if I'm happy with my resolution setting each time I hit \ in order to switch between Full Screen and WIndowed modes. Highly irritating and I can't find a menu option with regards to it. Anyone else had this and found a way to tell it to stop? Maybe something in the advancedsettings.xml file?

You're running an unstable nightly build, it's a bug

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed it was a feature of sorts that I didn't 'get'. I've run nightlys before so no big deal, I'll keep grabbing them until it's fixed. Just don't change the SQL schema in the meantime!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
This may be better suited to the HTPC thread, but as it's only XBMC I'm having trouble with I thought maybe you guys had experienced this before...

I'm trying to set up a Harmony 650 to control my XBMC using a cheapo allegedly MCE capable win7 remote/IR receiver from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/

My issue comes up when trying to program the Harmony (using the 7.7.0 software, not the myharmony web setup) -
if I tell the Harmony the device is a "Microsoft: MCE Keyboard", I get most of the button presses I need standard in the profile (including stuff like keyboard presses that I can't teach it with the original cheap remote)... but it doesn't communicate at all with the IR receiver (the receiver flashes red when it receives a signal, so it's easy to tell if it's getting anything.) Which is bizarre, since half the commands (play, pause, FFWD, etc) had to be added and then learned from the old remote.

If I tell the Harmony that the device is a "Microsoft: Windows MCE Keyboard", I can communicate - but I don't have any of the letter key presses available (I, C, etc) and I can't figure out that there's any way to "Add" a command if you can't teach it with a prior remote.

I've tried a variety of other profile guesses after googling including telling Harmony that it's the cheapo remote itself (ORC-1100) but that profile also has no letter keys so no real advances.

The first review on Amazon seems to indicate that the cheapo remote can work with a Harmony, but the dipshit leaving the review doesn't tell you how to do it, just to call Logitech and waste 3-6 hours on the phone in the hopes you get lucky and find a CSR who knows.

Anyone know of a Harmony device profile that might work with this receiver? Using 12.2 XBMC on Win 7 Ultimate.

I guess if not, my next attempt is probably finding a Rosewill or other IR receiver and trying that.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

This may be better suited to the HTPC thread, but as it's only XBMC I'm having trouble with I thought maybe you guys had experienced this before...

I'm trying to set up a Harmony 650 to control my XBMC using a cheapo allegedly MCE capable win7 remote/IR receiver from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY/

My issue comes up when trying to program the Harmony (using the 7.7.0 software, not the myharmony web setup) -
if I tell the Harmony the device is a "Microsoft: MCE Keyboard", I get most of the button presses I need standard in the profile (including stuff like keyboard presses that I can't teach it with the original cheap remote)... but it doesn't communicate at all with the IR receiver (the receiver flashes red when it receives a signal, so it's easy to tell if it's getting anything.) Which is bizarre, since half the commands (play, pause, FFWD, etc) had to be added and then learned from the old remote.

If I tell the Harmony that the device is a "Microsoft: Windows MCE Keyboard", I can communicate - but I don't have any of the letter key presses available (I, C, etc) and I can't figure out that there's any way to "Add" a command if you can't teach it with a prior remote.

I've tried a variety of other profile guesses after googling including telling Harmony that it's the cheapo remote itself (ORC-1100) but that profile also has no letter keys so no real advances.

The first review on Amazon seems to indicate that the cheapo remote can work with a Harmony, but the dipshit leaving the review doesn't tell you how to do it, just to call Logitech and waste 3-6 hours on the phone in the hopes you get lucky and find a CSR who knows.

Anyone know of a Harmony device profile that might work with this receiver? Using 12.2 XBMC on Win 7 Ultimate.

I guess if not, my next attempt is probably finding a Rosewill or other IR receiver and trying that.

I purchased the exact same remote and gave up trying to get it to work. Had the same problem as you. Save your sanity and buy a Flirc (http://www.flirc.tv/), it really is the best thing to use with a Harmony remote.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wiggly posted:

I purchased the exact same remote and gave up trying to get it to work. Had the same problem as you. Save your sanity and buy a Flirc (http://www.flirc.tv/), it really is the best thing to use with a Harmony remote.

Does that learn more than the four directions, enter and back? If it could learn the full spectrum of MCE commands I would buy two of those.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wiggly posted:

Thanks for that - saves me a bunch more futile profile-guessing. I'll check out the flirc.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

IUG posted:

Does that learn more than the four directions, enter and back? If it could learn the full spectrum of MCE commands I would buy two of those.

FLIRC can program a remote action to any keyboard button. They have easy guides for XBMC, basic directional/enter/back, and full keyboard.

http://flirc.tv/downloads/

Download the app and see for yourself.

I bought two of these, and I'll never go back to MCE receivers. So much easier to set up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there an easy way to clear the folder images out of a "Files" folder? I have some painting videos (not TV or Movies) where I made custom images, named them "folder.jpg" and used them as the folder's image. This worked fine on the PC, and I had no problems. Flash forward to XBMC and I've since changed the "folder.jpg" images, but the original images associated with the video folders are still showing up when I access them. I've tried a library refresh, but that only seems to work on TV and Movie folders. Any ideas?

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

Rename the folders, view them in XBMC, then switch back to the old folder names. I believe XBMC caches the folder.jpg images and I gave up on trying to find them in the Thumbnails folder. When the folder has a different name, XBMC will treat it as a new item and cache the new folder.jpg, you can then switch back to the old folder names if you want to.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Webbeh posted:

FLIRC can program a remote action to any keyboard button. They have easy guides for XBMC, basic directional/enter/back, and full keyboard.

http://flirc.tv/downloads/

Download the app and see for yourself.

I bought two of these, and I'll never go back to MCE receivers. So much easier to set up.

Alright, the video only shows the buttons I said, so I just wanted to make sure. Now I just need the money and desire to buy more "remotes" basically.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mike Hock posted:

Rename the folders, view them in XBMC, then switch back to the old folder names. I believe XBMC caches the folder.jpg images and I gave up on trying to find them in the Thumbnails folder. When the folder has a different name, XBMC will treat it as a new item and cache the new folder.jpg, you can then switch back to the old folder names if you want to.

I'll give this a shot - thanks.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

IUG posted:

Alright, the video only shows the buttons I said, so I just wanted to make sure. Now I just need the money and desire to buy more "remotes" basically.

Yeah - I did the same but bought anyway because I heard about the easy XBMC integration. Imagine my disappointment when I opened up the FLiRC app and found only the directional buttons and back/enter. Then, imagine my frustration and joy at finding the menu that allows you to change the keyboard display on the GUI.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
One of XBMC's biggest strengths is that you have a very wide selection of remotes that you can use.

One of XBMC's biggest weaknesses is that almost all of the have some kind of issue, sort coming, or are half baked.

I am currently using a Motorola Nyxboard, which is supposed to be more or less the official hardware remote. And, well, it kind of sucks. It has a ton of buttons that you won't use use unless you edit the config file to remap them to something else. You have to toggle between modes to control your PC and your TV. The orientation sensor is too sensitive and you will have to disable the auto-search that it brings up by default. The keyboard is missing a lot of buttons you will need if you want to do anything on your PC. It doesn't seem to work at all on my PC before Windows has completely loaded, so I can't use it for bios functions or even in the "Windows did not shutdown cleanly" menu. Sometimes it just refuses to switch to PC mode unless I switch it back and forth like 3 times. And all of that is just off the top of my head.

As soon as I get a TV that supports it, I think I am going to try the CEC/USB adaptor and see if it's any better.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This post reminded me of my Nyxboard that is collecting dust in my closet. I just couldn't get it to work right for my usage pattern. No backlight, and the keys being so small I could not get a good handle on touch-typing with it. I like my setup now in case people care:

Logitech k400 - Sporadic usage only for when I need to use windows.
Nexus 4 - Yatse - constant use, how I browse all my media.
Harmony 650 - I use to turn on all equipment and volume control. Some use for pausing/muting quickly when I don't want to reach for my phone. Hopefully this will be replaced with a Harmony smart control soon.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I set mysql up recently and it almost works perfectly for me. The only issue is that my openelec build will have like 5% of its thumbnails not appear. It seems to be a random variety that are affected. I'll have posters, fanart, actors, tv screencaps appearing as invisible. XBMC still says that there is a picture assigned to it but it will be invisible. My windows build has no issues with thumbnails at all.

Is using a Retroplayer fork of openelec the best way to play emulators on openelec? I've looked all over google and most of the stuff I've found is buggy and or dead. I'm assuming you just can't straight up use linux emulators, they have to be compiled in a certain way right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've had OpenElec builds run off my MySQL setup without issue. However, most recently these were Raspberry Pis so I kept the old path substitution in to make it a bit easier on them.

Might be worth a try? Add the following to your advancedsettings.xml file:

quote:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://Share:share@HTPC-PC/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

On your MySQL machine, share the folder that contains the thumbnails then switch out the <to> element in my example to your path and it should be good to go. Path substitution is a bit slower than the new method, but it might resolve your issue.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody know what keyboard key opens the video options menu during video playback? I've got subs defaulted to on and the only way I know to default them to off is through that menu. I couldn't find any button in the Yatse app so I guess I need to program a button on my remote.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enter will bring up the menu, then move over to the Audio button and the subs option is in there.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So what's my best option for sharing files throughout my network from an always on Windows PC? I've been using an SMB share but wasn't sure if some of the other options would be better, as I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff.

Also if I were to setup a mysql database to sync my library would it also work on my jailbroken iPad and atv2?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah you basically write up an advancedsettings.xml section that tells the device where the server is and it'll read the library from there. I far prefer having a centralised machine which runs all the clients and servers then let every other device in the house connect to it. Once you've written up the settings, it takes literally a few seconds to get any xbmc client setup.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

The pHo posted:

Yeah you basically write up an advancedsettings.xml section that tells the device where the server is and it'll read the library from there. I far prefer having a centralised machine which runs all the clients and servers then let every other device in the house connect to it. Once you've written up the settings, it takes literally a few seconds to get any xbmc client setup.

So does this mean I would never have to update the library on any of the client devices? At would be amazing since an update takes forever on my atv2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bingo.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So does this mean I would never have to update the library on any of the client devices? At would be amazing since an update takes forever on my atv2.

You still need to do the update on one of them which will enter it into the database for the others to read from, but yes MySQL is fantastic for low powered clients like RaspPI/ATV which take forever to do library scans.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I just run an instance of XBMC on my server alongside MYSQL and Sickbeard. When Sickbeard downloads something, it updates the server installation of XBMC and its database, and then all the other computers in the house don't need to be updated when I turn them on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep that's pretty much how I do it too. Sickbeard, Couch Potato, SAB and XBMC on the HTPC in the lounge then most pcs, macs, apple TVs and rasp pis in the house running just the client.

Shame there's no xbmc server like plex has so I could offload everything to a dedicated box full of hdds.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

The pHo posted:

Yep that's pretty much how I do it too. Sickbeard, Couch Potato, SAB and XBMC on the HTPC in the lounge then most pcs, macs, apple TVs and rasp pis in the house running just the client.

Shame there's no xbmc server like plex has so I could offload everything to a dedicated box full of hdds.

I have a dedicated box of hdds sitting in a closet running SQL, what prevents you from being able to do this? You just have to have your main xbmc machine on to receive the notifications or run xbmc on the server.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Esk1 posted:

I have a dedicated box of hdds sitting in a closet running SQL, what prevents you from being able to do this? You just have to have your main xbmc machine on to receive the notifications or run xbmc on the server.

Do you use a SATA controller card or just onboard SATA ports for this? I currently have 6 HDDs and want to throw a few more 2TBs in the mix since I'm running low on space, but I have no more free ports on my motherboard.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Do you use a SATA controller card or just onboard SATA ports for this? I currently have 6 HDDs and want to throw a few more 2TBs in the mix since I'm running low on space, but I have no more free ports on my motherboard.

I just filled up my first pcie sata card so I'll need another for my next hd. My mobo had 6 ports.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Sorry for all the mysql related questions, but I have everything set up and the satellite devices are seeing the library okay, but I'm not getting any thumbnails in my Apple TV. Any ideas?

Esk1 posted:

I just filled up my first pcie sata card so I'll need another for my next hd. My mobo had 6 ports.

Cool, so those relatively cheap non-RAID cards work fine then?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was at one point a relatively affordable PCI card with 2x mini SAS ports which can be used with a pair of SAS to 4x SATA cables to run 8 drives off a single card. Useful if you don't have many slots.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There still is, the IBM M1015 can be had for $100 or less and will handle 8 SATA disks.

There's a NAS thread in SH/SC for packrats like me.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Sorry for all the mysql related questions, but I have everything set up and the satellite devices are seeing the library okay, but I'm not getting any thumbnails in my Apple TV. Any ideas?

Cool, so those relatively cheap non-RAID cards work fine then?

What version of xbmc? Pre xbmc 12 you had to do the substitution path, if your running frodo I'm not sure, sometimes mine take a bit to load changes.

I'm running drivepool, so I don't need raid cards. I guess it depends what you need.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like xperience1080 is on the official repo. My most favorite skin by far, even over Ace and Aeon nox. Just really well laid out, easy on the eyes and I like the list info viewtype.

e: I like the Rainbow mod better than the OG version, but at least its on the repo.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 21, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

kri kri posted:

Looks like xperience1080 is on the official repo. My most favorite skin by far, even over Ace and Aeon nox. Just really well laid out, easy on the eyes and I like the list info viewtype.

Hmm, it doesn't seem to show up for me.

Edit: Ended up installing it manually, liking what I see so far. Only problem I'm having is the lack of customisation available coming from Ace.

Edit 2: Found the plus version has customisation options I'm looking for.

Edit 3: gently caress, there goes my evening.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 21, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

e: I like the Rainbow mod better than the OG version, but at least its on the repo.

Is it XperienceMore or is that an offshoot? I'm not seeing Xperience1080 like the poster above me, but I did see that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mike Hock posted:

Update on this issue: The above fix did not work. XMBC renames all images that it uses and moves them to its own set of folders. In addition, you can change the name of the source directory, but XBMC still somehow realizes that it is the same path, and so retains all thumb info.

You can do one of two things:
1) Search through ten folders of literally thousands of images to find the one you need to change. Copy the file name for that image. Delete the image. Rename your new image with the XBMC name. Drag that image over into the correct folder.

2) Delete the record in the database. When XBMC is restarted, it will recreate the record along with the new image. (This is what I did)

Seriously XBMC guys, what the hell? If I didn't have SQL experience, I either would have had to go with option one or just live with the wrong image. XBMC should just have the option to use the folder image as default, or at least refresh the images on restart. That seems like it would be a no brainer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

The pHo posted:

Is it XperienceMore or is that an offshoot? I'm not seeing Xperience1080 like the poster above me, but I did see that.

Xperience1080 is an offshoot of XperienceMore, if I recall correctly.