Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
After googling Empanadas, they appear to be South American pasties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Empanadas are better than just about anything.

Absolute truth. Although I will freely admit I will plow through Papusas like a dying man if given the chance.

quote:

And yeah, hit dice are a really lovely replacement for healing surges, but we need to acknowledge them when talking about the lack of healing surges because they're the kind of thing Mearls would bring up to defend the loss of healing surges, and they might end up functioning much like healing surges with the proper "module". I think they could generally fill the blank left by surges, though the randomness is problematic.

I'd agree with you that they could fill the blank but a) we've heard nothing about modules in months and b) since they're random and not percentile any modular rule for them will start with "ignore every other rule about healing dice." Have they even mentioned if dice size/amount scales with level or class? Because a serious problem is they need to except now you have even more stuff you need to track.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rexides posted:

It seems to me that the problem with the current offerings of digital applications for TTRPGs always aim specific needs. You get the character creator and digital sheets, which may or may not be compatible, you get the virtual tabletop that can read files produced by the character creator if you are lucky, you have a gajilion generators for the DM, and then you have the actual computer games that are a completely different real, altogether.

I want an app that lets the DM manage a normal tabletop game and his players' character sheets, which can be easily converted to a virtual session with embedded VOIP if some people can't attend physically, and for the off days the players can use their character in a Conclave-style game. Give both a real-time and play-by-post option for the virtual session. Allow a player to RP with the DM while taking the morning bus to work, or play a short automated vignette with his character. Tweet your Crits. Personalize your character sheet with HTML5. Leverage crowdsourcing to power up your spells. Share your favorite lists of polearms with your friends. This is TTRPG 2.0.
I dunno about the cross-game persistent character stuff but yes, this is pretty much exactly what I want. I've never had any desire for a twitter account, but I would tweet my crits like you wouldn't believe.

But really, I'd just settle for end-to-end character and session creation and table tools. Give me a mobile/tablet-friendly character builder -> virtual character sheet and monster builder -> encounter builder -> initiative tracker and I'd be happy as a clam.

Anecdotally, when I was running 4e I used Masterplan. And while it made tracking monster hp, stats, and initiative super easy, the process to get monster data in there was ridiculous. You had to copy the monster in the DDI Adventure Tools (and probably fix its math if it was an older one), export it to a file, import it into a library in Masterplan, then add it to the encounter. And Masterplan was PC only, so I have to have a laptop at the table rather than just a tablet. It was a pain in the rear end, but the game it helped facilitate was a lot of fun. But it could have been so much easier if the process was a bit more streamlined.

Halloween Jack posted:

Conclave is basically simplified 4e combat in a browser, and I'm loving it. I kinda wish someone would make a retrogame with its sort of tactical combat injected to spice things up.
This looks sweet. Thanks for the link.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I thought it was set in stone that the size of your hit dice was based on class (and equaled the die type you rolled for HP) and your total number of dice equaled your level. That doesn't seem all that hard to track. I agree that they scale poorly compared to healing surges, and that they're a generally shittier mechanic in every way. I just brought them up out of a sense of completeness.

And I'm pretty much a fan of any kind of bread or starch stuffed with meats, cheeses and/or other fillings. I also like flipping the script and chowing down on rouladens.

WordMercenary posted:

I guess you could cover nipples with them, but they'd probably slide off and the heat would be uncomfortable. But seriously, they're basically pasties stuffed with anything you can think of. They can come stuffed with any filling you can think of, and they also come stuffed with fruits as a dessert dish. There's a great empanada place down the road from me, and I always end up leaving with a box full of apple empanadas that don't last much longer than a day.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Barudak posted:

Sure, outside of the fact that they don't meaningfully replicate any of the good aspects of Healing dice like target specific healing over caster specific healing. In fact, they're basically just really crappy health potions everybody gets and I have no idea why anyone wants to track yet more fiddly bits.

But you can spend feats to make them almost useful! :pseudo:

There are a surprising number of places in Next where you roll twice and take the higher result. Advantage, right? Except it's not, because it's only called Advantage when you're rolling a d20. Everything else has to write out the roll twice mechanic in full with an occasional variation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

isndl posted:

There are a surprising number of places in Next where you roll twice and take the higher result. Advantage, right? Except it's not, because it's only called Advantage when you're rolling a d20. Everything else has to write out the roll twice mechanic in full with an occasional variation.

How would a martial class get advantage to healing? That just doesn't make sense!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dec 26, 2012

isndl posted:

A legitimate reason I can think of to do that is to avoid situations where a thing that keys off being advantaged or disadvantaged doesn't trigger in unexpected or unintuitive circumstances. Like for instance if your attack roll doesn't have advantage but your damage roll does. Distinguishing "advantage" from "roll twice" is advantageous in that sense.

Of course, what they should do in that case is make a different keyword instead of reprinting the stupid rule every time.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

ImpactVector posted:

See, I think there's space in the marketplace for an RPG that's rooted in technology. Especially as the devices become more powerful and ubiquitous. Just because it hasn't been done before (or done right) doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

You can't tell me it shouldn't be done, because we played 4e like that and it was a blast. They just didn't take it far enough in my mind. All the applications we actually used at the table were 3rd party, and most of the DMing ones were kind of a pain to import data into.

But I will agree that D&D may not be the ideal game to do it. Ideally D&D is the kind of game that bored, nerdy middle-schoolers can get together and work out on their own, and there's a decent chance that they might not all have cellphones/tablets or the technical knowhow to make it work. Then again, I'm probably completely wrong on both counts. And it's not looking like Next is terribly newbie friendly anyway (death to system mastery traps).

Ok, you've changed my mind here, to a degree. If a game was fully centered around a tablet, with mechanics that actually encouraged player interaction, and didn't just become the front end to some horrifyingly obtuse Wikipedia, that would kick rear end. I'm thinking Space Team meets Elder Sign. Hell, I want to design it now.

Where I was coming from is having a game with such Feat and Power bloat that you need search/sorting capabilities just to make sense of it is terrible. You're still dealing with a volume of information that's 'work' to engage with, even if it avoids the problems of trap feats and system mastery exploits.

Games like that are okay if done well, but the gateway game to RPGs in general should be really really easy to jump into. IIRC the best-selling D&D game of all time was Basic, and it could be bought in one box like Monopoly or Settlers of Cataan. Ideally D&D Next should have been that choice, but it's too busy catering to grognards who should be ignored.

The BECMI model is more and more brilliant the more I look at it. Mearls isn't looking at it at all, I'm sure.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

WordMercenary posted:

I imagine there must be similar culture shocks for Americans coming over here. I know one guy who was confused by the notion of meat pies.
Honestly, it depends on where you live. In major cities you kind of become nonplussed to anything because no matter how absurd you can in terms of food get it actually exists in some capacity

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

isndl posted:

I'm uncertain what copyright laws would say about this but they could probably get away with mimicing AEG's roll-and-keep system. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

akasnowmaaan posted:

Where I was coming from is having a game with such Feat and Power bloat that you need search/sorting capabilities just to make sense of it is terrible. You're still dealing with a volume of information that's 'work' to engage with, even if it avoids the problems of trap feats and system mastery exploits.
I'm fine with feat and power (the mechanic) bloat as long as it doesn't also come with power (the measure of scale) creep. Something not existing and something existing but you not knowing about it is functionally identical, unless the current power standard assumes you're taking it. If there's 10 books that your frost wizard might potentially be interested in, that's only a problem if she needs all ten to keep up with the joneses. Similarly there's no real problem with an established game having a hundred or so applicable feats as long as "gently caress it just give me one which has frost in the title" is a viable option, and "that one has a cool name and looks useful" doesn't end up being a horrible choice.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

akasnowmaaan posted:

True, but option bloat isn't really the main reason the character builder was so great in 4e. I definitely agree that option bloat is a major problem.

No, the convenience of the builder mostly came down to a reduction in busywork. If you're doing a 4e character by hand, even just a PHB-only one, you either need to bookmark your powers or copy them down on your sheet, which is a pain either way. Maybe that's what you meant, but it's the same problem that spellcasters of all editions have had to deal with, and it's dumb in all of them.

With the builder, it copies them for you in nicely formatted card-sized chunks with all the relevant math done for you, which is a huge boon. Now you can tweak your character choices and instantly see the difference it makes in your static values.

But yeah, I'm totally with you on a simple gateway game. I'd love it if the new D&D was literally the latest Gamma World except fantasy as has been mentioned several times in this thread (except with actual cards for the origin/race/class powers). Or if Dungeon World took over D&D's market share as the primary gateway to the hobby (shut up, a man can dream).

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Splicer posted:

I'm fine with feat and power (the mechanic) bloat as long as it doesn't also come with power (the measure of scale) creep. Something not existing and something existing but you not knowing about it is functionally identical, unless the current power standard assumes you're taking it. If there's 10 books that your frost wizard might potentially be interested in, that's only a problem if she needs all ten to keep up with the joneses. Similarly there's no real problem with an established game having a hundred or so applicable feats as long as "gently caress it just give me one which has frost in the title" is a viable option, and "that one has a cool name and looks useful" doesn't end up being a horrible choice.

Yeah but it never works that way.
The way it works is that adding options is always power creep, power creep is the main effect of adding more options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Yeah but it never works that way.
The way it works is that adding options is always power creep, power creep is the main effect of adding more options.

Unless you add very, very few options and/or they follow some formula for gauranteeing equivalent power levels you are going to either have a book full of completely worthless options (no one will buy this) or a book with completely broken options that invalidate the core book (no one but power gamers will buy this).

Modules would have been a smart way to solve this issue; you may choose your pool of powers and magics from either the core rule book or a single one of our module sets. That way you can introduce new thematic powers/feats/whatever but keep them balanced within a single book and not against other options. It also negates how much cross balancing you have to concern yourself with.

This will, of course, not be the strategy employed for 5e.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

WordMercenary posted:

There are many varieties, even within South America. Colombian empanadas are harder and have a more cornmeal taste. Argentina empanadas tend to be more flakey and larger. This isn't even getting into fillings.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ulta posted:

There are many varieties, even within South America. Colombian empanadas are harder and have a more cornmeal taste. Argentina empanadas tend to be more flakey and larger. This isn't even getting into fillings.
e
I dunno why this is surprising to some in the thread, there are like a thousand variants on the meat pie. I am pretty sure every culture has one; we tend to make runza here since the wife's people are from Kansas/Nebraska. FOr those in the wonder it is an egg dough filled with something like ground meat, onion, and cabbage usually. I tend to fill them with whatever I have to hand that seems like it would be good in a runza. I would make pasty more often but honestly doing pie style dough aches my balls.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Winson_Paine posted:

I dunno why this is surprising to some in the thread, there are like a thousand variants on the meat pie. I am pretty sure every culture has one; we tend to make runza here since the wife's people are from Kansas/Nebraska.
If it involves meat, and if it involves a culture, someone out there has figured out a way to put something starchy around it.

But then I get kolaches where I'm at and am spoiled.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Winson_Paine posted:

e
I dunno why this is surprising to some in the thread, there are like a thousand variants on the meat pie. I am pretty sure every culture has one; we tend to make runza here since the wife's people are from Kansas/Nebraska. FOr those in the wonder it is an egg dough filled with something like ground meat, onion, and cabbage usually. I tend to fill them with whatever I have to hand that seems like it would be good in a runza. I would make pasty more often but honestly doing pie style dough aches my balls.

This is like how literally every culture in the world has made something that can be described as a dumpling.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Barudak posted:

Modules would have been a smart way to solve this issue; you may choose your pool of powers and magics from either the core rule book or a single one of our module sets. That way you can introduce new thematic powers/feats/whatever but keep them balanced within a single book and not against other options. It also negates how much cross balancing you have to concern yourself with.

Yeah modules really would be awesome if you can work it.
The wizard is very simple with a few core powers, unless you get the advanced magic module which gives 3-4 systems of magic and an expanded spell list!
By default you don't have any special option picks, unless you get the feats of legend module which introduces feats!

Dec 26, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Yeah modules really would be awesome if you can work it.
The wizard is very simple with a few core powers, unless you get the advanced magic module which gives 3-4 systems of magic and an expanded spell list!
By default you don't have any special option picks, unless you get the feats of legend module which introduces feats!

Right, and it's what they initially said they'd be doing, and that seemed like an ok idea, so they're not doing it anymore. :v:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Winson_Paine posted:

e

So, speaking of modular systems and gateway mechanics, you seem to know a LOT about cooking. I've been taking the tack of finding a few dishes and cooking them over and over again until they become 'your thing', like 'Snowman, those Brussel sprouts you do are awesome, bring them to the potluck'. That's been OK for now, but I want to expand my vocabulary in a big way and was wondering how,you learned what you know. Did you ever take lessons or cooking school, or picked it up on the fly?

I tend to keep coming back to things that are low-prep and involve only one or two 'stages'. The stuff you do is more complex. Did you just jump on, or what?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Ah the good old days when "modules" meant

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

doing pie style dough aches my balls.
Are you sure you're preparing it right? It seems like there might be a better way of making the dough to me.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

ImpactVector posted:

the convenience of the builder mostly came down to a reduction in busywork. If you're doing a 4e character by hand, even just a PHB-only one, you either need to bookmark your powers or copy them down on your sheet, which is a pain either way. Maybe that's what you meant, but it's the same problem that spellcasters of all editions have had to deal with, and it's dumb in all of them.

With the builder, it copies them for you in nicely formatted card-sized chunks with all the relevant math done for you, which is a huge boon. Now you can tweak your character choices and instantly see the difference it makes in your static values.

Ah, that makes sense. Wish I'd had a chance to play 4e. Our group hacked up some Excel tools to build characters for 3/3.5 that did everything except spells, and those were amazing. Spells too? Perfect.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zereth posted:

Are you sure you're preparing it right? It seems like there might be a better way of making the dough to me.
If you've never had ball-tossed dough you truly haven't lived.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's not like 4E is the first RPG to have electronic character builder tools for it, but its character builder was 1st-party (which isn't an unambiguous good of course, but it makes it easier for people to be introduced to it than having to be told "oh, you should go to this other website and check out the character builder") and incredibly robust in that it had regular and comprehensive updates of everything. 4E no more requires a character builder than any other edition of any other RPG. It's simply a nice tool to have. It's not as good as it could be though, since you can't go through it and manually delete 90% of the feats or whatever, it's not perfect, but considering WotC's track record with software it's honestly pretty miraculous that it works as well as it does and that's not just damning with faint praise either.

I'll be honest, I wish more games had robust character creation software with nice UIs and steady updates.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

akasnowmaaan posted:

So, speaking of modular systems and gateway mechanics, you seem to know a LOT about cooking. I've been taking the tack of finding a few dishes and cooking them over and over again until they become 'your thing', like 'Snowman, those Brussel sprouts you do are awesome, bring them to the potluck'. That's been OK for now, but I want to expand my vocabulary in a big way and was wondering how,you learned what you know. Did you ever take lessons or cooking school, or picked it up on the fly?

I tend to keep coming back to things that are low-prep and involve only one or two 'stages'. The stuff you do is more complex. Did you just jump on, or what?
Get Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" and go from there. It is full of simple recipes and even the more complicated ones are explained well. On top of that it also has good informational sections on ingredients and techniques.

But mostly it's just practice. The more you cook the more you learn.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My learning to cook technique was to follow recipes until I got the hang of doing everything, and then alter them until I liked the taste. I don't know heaps about cooking (and I don't really like to cook), but Cooking For Geeks was a cool book that explained the underlying processes of cooking, and helped me learn to actually make things without recipes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FRINGE posted:

Ah the good old days when "modules" meant

V1: Assault on the Demon Vagina

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 16, 2013

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Can anyone tell me some proper ways to incorporate dark chocolate into chili?

I've heard of this a couple times, and I am interested in trying it, but I don't even know at what stage of the process you're supposed to add it, or in what quantities relative to the rest of the recipe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

akasnowmaaan posted:

I ain't Winson, but I'm a pretty okay cook, so I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

First, how I originally learned to cook was just cooking with my mom. You can learn a lot just from watching someone and having a glass of wine (any they probably like the company), and then you can move up to helping : offer to cut some onions or whatever, and they can show you proper knife skills.

Failing that, I can recommend The Gourmet Cookbook. It has a recipe for everything, it has giant detailed instructions for all of the methods and it has an index by ingredient so you can just go, "Hmm... I have some chicken, what can I do?"

If you had to have just one cookbook, it is the best cookbook.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I have a giant bag of garden-fresh green onions.

What should I make with them?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ImpactVector posted:

Anecdotally, when I was running 4e I used Masterplan. And while it made tracking monster hp, stats, and initiative super easy, the process to get monster data in there was ridiculous. You had to copy the monster in the DDI Adventure Tools (and probably fix its math if it was an older one), export it to a file, import it into a library in Masterplan, then add it to the encounter. And Masterplan was PC only, so I have to have a laptop at the table rather than just a tablet. It was a pain in the rear end, but the game it helped facilitate was a lot of fun. But it could have been so much easier if the process was a bit more streamlined.
The original version scraped the Compendium to fill up your monster and magic items libraries.

WotC killed it in part because the libraries were freely share-able.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm a big stirfry fan with onions though I think your best decision is to mix them in with a lamb roast of some kind.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

For one, get some chicken, eggs, rice, and ginger and make soboro-don.

You can also try your hand at green onion pancakes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wonder if you could make a green onion soup of some sort (that was actually good).

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

akasnowmaaan posted:

I really like Alton Brown, because his gimmick is to tell you why he does things certain way and then explain the science behind it. Plus I find his tastes align with mine. Generally his recipes are available online and he has some good books as well. Plus the books come with magnets that show you all the cuts of meat on a cow, pig, chicken and egg.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ulta posted:

I really like Alton Brown, because his gimmick is to tell you why he does things certain way and then explain the science behind it. Plus I find his tastes align with mine. Generally his recipes are available online and he has some good books as well. Plus the books come with magnets that show you all the cuts of meat on a cow, pig, chicken and egg.
I am bad at cooking.

But my Alton Brown books make me feel like I could be good at it if I just put in the time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Get Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" and go from there. It is full of simple recipes and even the more complicated ones are explained well. On top of that it also has good informational sections on ingredients and techniques.

But mostly it's just practice. The more you cook the more you learn.
It's kind of the ghetto version, but the Betty Crocker Cookbook is like that as well. If you see a copy of it at a used book store or something pick it up, it's been in print for over half a century. It has incredibly simple recipes, like how to scramble an egg. It also has instructions for kitchen techniques such as cutting butter into flour. Read cover to cover it should tell you most of the simple steps and staple recipes of an American kitchen.

Personally, I always helped in the kitchen as a kid because it got me out of doing dishes. Then I became obsessed with Masahari Morimoto to the point that I learned Japanese in high school and studied abroad. I'll finish up an effort post for some crowd pleasing Japanese dishes if anyone is feeling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's kind of the ghetto version, but the Betty Crocker Cookbook is like that as well. If you see a copy of it at a used book store or something pick it up, it's been in print for over half a century. It has incredibly simple recipes, like how to scramble an egg. It also has instructions for kitchen techniques such as cutting butter into flour. Read cover to cover it should tell you most of the simple steps and staple recipes of an American kitchen.

Personally, I always helped in the kitchen as a kid because it got me out of doing dishes. Then I became obsessed with Masahari Morimoto to the point that I learned Japanese in high school and studied abroad. I'll finish up an effort post for some crowd pleasing Japanese dishes if anyone is feeling it.

I'm not sure if it's strictly what you would have done, but if you have a good way to make sushi rice, I'd love to hear about it.

• Locked thread