Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Base Emitter posted:

I just updated Awful on my iPhone 4s with iOS 5.1.1 (I've just never bothered to plug in and update) and now trying to view any thread crashes the app.
Same here.

Oceanbound posted:

Sounds like you're still using the outdated app, not the new Awful that's on the store.

Or update to iOS 6.
Which is the outdated app? I'm using (and experiencing the same problem Base Emitter mentions) with Awful version 1.11.2, updated May 07, 2013, by "Company" Nolan Waite.

Crashes for me when trying to go to a bookmarked thread or when trying to go to Awful's thread from the Settings menu.

I'm on iOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mnd posted:

Same here.

Which is the outdated app? I'm using (and experiencing the same problem Base Emitter mentions) with Awful version 1.11.2, updated May 07, 2013, by "Company" Nolan Waite.

Crashes for me when trying to go to a bookmarked thread or when trying to go to Awful's thread from the Settings menu.

I'm on iOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4.

That's the right app, I made it crash when opening any thread. It's fixed soon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Suggestion: Add up/down/left/right arrow keys to the extra keyboard row for ease of editing. Maybe just in landscape mode if there isn't room in portrait.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Awful update is out for me (UK)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Would auto-closing of bbcode tags be a thing? Ie if you type
code:
[b]
it will automatically add the
code:
[/b]
after the cursor and lets you get typing in bold twice as fast.

Possibly as a feature that can be disabled as I foresee that some people like to bold text after writing it, which makes it just a pain. Or alternatively it would only work when opening a tag at the end of the post so far?

edit: yay, an update! (⅋)

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 14, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Would auto-closing of bbcode tags be a thing? Ie if you type
code:
[b]
it will automatically add the
code:
[/b]
after the cursor and lets you get typing in bold twice as fast.

Possibly as a feature that can be disabled as I foresee that some people like to bold text after writing it, which makes it just a pain. Or alternatively it would only work when opening a tag at the end of the post so far?

edit: yay, an update! (⅋)

How helpful would this be? You'd have to tap your way past the [/b] that got inserted automatically, and by then you're not far ahead of just typing the closing tag manually or long-tapping and choosing "format" then [b].

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Still not working to me with the new update. It has the grey background and then nothin happens for ~20s and then it crashes. iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1. Tell me if you need more info.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

pokeyman posted:

How helpful would this be? You'd have to tap your way past the [/b] that got inserted automatically, and by then you're not far ahead of just typing the closing tag manually or long-tapping and choosing "format" then .

Oh, I never knew about that feature :downs:

[b]Wheeeeee
eeee ee

E: but the idea was that the cursor would be positioned between the tags after the auto-completion was done. Not so sure about it now that I noticed the format menu

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 14, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Francois Kofko posted:

Still not working to me with the new update. It has the grey background and then nothin happens for ~20s and then it crashes. iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1. Tell me if you need more info.

A delete and reinstall may be in order.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That did it, thanks. Posting from Awful now.

I haven't updated in a while and all the new features since I last updated rule!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

E: but the idea was that the cursor would be positioned between the tags after the auto-completion was done.

Right. Then you're done typing the part you want emboldened, and you want to keep typing. Now you have to tap on the other side of the automatically inserted closing tag.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Right. Then you're done typing the part you want emboldened, and you want to keep typing. Now you have to tap on the other side of the automatically inserted closing tag.

Oh right, gotcha :(

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

pokeyman posted:

That's the right app, I made it crash when opening any thread. It's fixed soon.
Fancy icons now! Woo!

Oh, and this new version doesn't crash on thread! Wooooo!

Thanks bunches pokeyman, both for Awful app, and for this fix!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any chance the next revision could increase the motion needed to flip to the next page at the bottom? I keen missing the last three or four posts at the end of each page.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Any chance the next revision could increase the motion needed to flip to the next page at the bottom? I keen missing the last three or four posts at the end of each page.

Maybe make it so the "next page" gesture only picks up if you are already at the end of the page? So if you are scrolling down a whole bunch at once then that last swipe that hits bottom won't trigger the next page load but the next swipe will.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Haven't updated to the brand new version, but I'm getting the same bug as someone on the previous page where the "..." menu with "Mark as Read" etc disappears. It only happens intermittently, and the amount of time it stays visible seems to vary. Usually when it happens, I'll get it a bunch of times in a row.

Using an iPad Mini, iOS 6.1.3.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Just checking in to say new app is dope as gently caress

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I can toy around with it, sure.

withak posted:

Maybe make it so the "next page" gesture only picks up if you are already at the end of the page? So if you are scrolling down a whole bunch at once then that last swipe that hits bottom won't trigger the next page load but the next swipe will.

That's a good idea. I can't think of a reason why you'd want a large continuous scroll to end in advancing the page; you'd just tap the "next page" button if you wanted that.

webmeister posted:

Haven't updated to the brand new version, but I'm getting the same bug as someone on the previous page where the "..." menu with "Mark as Read" etc disappears. It only happens intermittently, and the amount of time it stays visible seems to vary. Usually when it happens, I'll get it a bunch of times in a row.

Using an iPad Mini, iOS 6.1.3.

I'm still pretty lost on this, but every report helps. Thanks!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Would it be possible to have a "reload unread posts" feature? In image-heavy threads sometimes images will fail to load and I end up reloading an entire page when I just needed to reload three or four posts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Would it be possible to have a "reload unread posts" feature? In image-heavy threads sometimes images will fail to load and I end up reloading an entire page when I just needed to reload three or four posts.

I'll add it to the list! And I'm also aware of the image problems, so I'll +1 that as well.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
This may be a stupid question, but i've signed into Instapaper inside the app - how do i send posts or pages to it exactly?

(I did a quick search, but couldn't find the answer)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

the_lion posted:

This may be a stupid question, but i've signed into Instapaper inside the app - how do i send posts or pages to it exactly?

(I did a quick search, but couldn't find the answer)

Pokeyman wrote the Instapaper integration so he'd be better to answer you, but it seems to work the same as the Pocket integration I wrote which only works on external links, not SA posts or thread pages. This is because lots of threads are behind the paywall, so you would only get the "You need an account to view this" page saved to Pocket/Instapaper rather than the content you actually wanted.

Sidenote (I don't know if this exists for Instapaper): Pocket has a feature for adding logins for custom sites, but I couldn't get this working. It's a user-side option anyway, not anything missing from our code. More fatally, the "You need an account" page often crashed the Pocket app when it tried to download, so we thought it safer to leave out saving threads completely.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yup, just for external links. I'll take that as a feature request though!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Gotcha. Thanks a heap guys. I knew there was something I was missing!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Instapaper's API actually does support creating bookmarks where you provide the HTML source in the call, for private things like the forums. Not sure if there is a need to Instapaper individual comments, but that is how you would do it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

Instapaper's API actually does support creating bookmarks where you provide the HTML source in the call, for private things like the forums. Not sure if there is a need to Instapaper individual comments, but that is how you would do it.

Ugh, full API only...

Seriously though, that's good to know!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Still can't use jump to page half the time which I've gotten used to and don't even try anymore but oh my god do I hate the small square scroll thing it pops up now. Big full rectangles or bust.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The jump to first and last page buttons should be moved back to the jump to page thing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
For some reason now all Youtube videos launch externally for me. Before, they'd just open in the "Awful Browser" view which was definitely way more convenient than hopping to an external app. At first, it was taking me to the Youtube app, which I didn't even know I had installed, so I uninstalled it, but then it would still swap over to Safari. All other links still open within the app. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find it, and it only started happening after the latest update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

For some reason now all Youtube videos launch externally for me. Before, they'd just open in the "Awful Browser" view which was definitely way more convenient than hopping to an external app. At first, it was taking me to the Youtube app, which I didn't even know I had installed, so I uninstalled it, but then it would still swap over to Safari. All other links still open within the app. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find it, and it only started happening after the latest update.

I'll take a look. Can you link me to a YouTube video that's doing this for you, just to make sure I see what's happening?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sure, it's happening with all links to youtube, in a lot of different forums. I first noticed it last night in YOSPOS when reading this post on my iPad. This morning the same thing definitely happened when checking the videos from this post on my iPhone.

Both are running the latest firmware (6.1.whatever), not jailbroken or anything weird like that. The only thing I can think of is that in the forums settings I have the "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" option set to "No," however the one from the Howard Stern thread appears to be a link and not an embed, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks! I'll get into it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another idea for the pile: it would be nice to have some way to see really long thread titles when you are in a thread and they are cut off. Maybe tap and hold?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smackfu posted:

Another idea for the pile: it would be nice to have some way to see really long thread titles when you are in a thread and they are cut off. Maybe tap and hold?

Tapping and holding when you're out of the thread works. Would be nice to have a way inside a thread.

Edit:

a glorious hole posted:

that's exactly what he said.

I know, I was agreeing.

101 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 17, 2013

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

101 posted:

Tapping and holding when you're out of the thread works. Would be nice to have a way inside a thread.

that's exactly what he said.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
When you jump out from Awful to Safari, etc. it'd be helpful if Awful could (optionally?) do an automatic "mark read to this point" on the post with the URL before launching the other app. I'd prefer the brief wait for the mark-as-read to complete over having to jump back to the previous page and find the last read post when I re-open the thread in Awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

Yeah, we need to do something there. Tap and hold might interfere with tapping the status bar to jump to the top of the page, but there's other options.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

When you jump out from Awful to Safari, etc. it'd be helpful if Awful could (optionally?) do an automatic "mark read to this point" on the post with the URL before launching the other app. I'd prefer the brief wait for the mark-as-read to complete over having to jump back to the previous page and find the last read post when I re-open the thread in Awful.

That's a really good idea. There have been many requests for marking as read while scrolling through a page, but I've held off as I don't want to send a ton of requests to the SA servers. (I'm sure they could handle it, I just don't want Awful to send many more requests than a typical browser session.) And that's something that could easily be sent in the background, so no delay is necessary.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

pokeyman posted:

And that's something that could easily be sent in the background, so no delay is necessary.

Cool! If there's no delay it probably wouldn't need to be optional then, that's the only reason I suggested it. You'd just need to make sure not to move the last-read marker backwards in time if you jumped out from an already-read post. I assume there's an implicit "mark last loaded post as read even if you haven't scrolled down to it yet" happening behind the scenes that you'd need to work around too, since that's what seems to happen when you jump out now.

You could also do a background mark-last-post-that-scrolled-off-the-top-as-read whenever someone switches threads within Awful, either by drilling down through a SA URL or by going back up through the bookmarks or forum lists. That probably wouldn't bump up the number of calls to the site by much at all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, we need to do something there. Tap and hold might interfere with tapping the status bar to jump to the top of the page, but there's other options.

Maybe you could make it so that swiping over it can drag the title and it makes another part of it is visible :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

Maybe you could make it so that swiping over it can drag the title and it makes another part of it is visible :v:

:nyd:

• Locked thread