Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

My Radeon HD 6800 series card still struggles on high and above, but I can run the game much smoother now on normal, with 16x AA and normal motion blur (I have no idea what SSAA is but it drops the framerate significantly), and tessellation off (also tanks it, even on normal). I could probably do high in less populated areas, though. I can hardly notice a difference besides from lighting in it all anyway.

I get a huge jump in performance between normal and high quality, the jump between high and very high seems to be much smaller. But the very high quality with 2x SSAA for me sticks around 35 fps, occasionally dipping to 28 which still appears pretty smooth. Keeping it at high puts it consistently above 35-40 range. I can't seem to tell the difference between high and very high though. Putting it on normal shoots it up above 50. Tesselation doesn't seem to affect performance much, so I just keep it on very high. Honestly, this game looks phenomenal on all the settings. They did a great job.

B B posted:

This game rules, though, and Last Light might end up being one of the first games in a while that I've bought at full price, after I finish 2033.
Yes, I normally don't pay $60 for multiplayer free games, but this is an astonishing achievement for a developer in such conditions. They deserve my $60 for sure. Bringing me back to 2007 Stalker days here :)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The area with flashback sequences between pre and post apocalypse and the ghosts hanging around is so loving cool.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MadBimber posted:

I just felt embarrassed every time I saw it. It seems so out of place. Especially near the end (spoilers for ending) with the sex scene. I mean, really. First she hates you, then she disappears, reappears and thinks you're interesting. Then she's in love with you and wants to save the dark ones.

Yeah the sheer volume of tits and naked/mostly naked ladies is actually starting to piss me off. It was kinda funny the first time, then things get progressively worse, and the super virus sex scene is just kind of insulting. Probably my biggest complaint at this point beyond not being able to check my ammo in Ranger.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Decided to go back and finally try and beat Metro 2033 before starting this one.

About Metro 2033 stealth. Is it even worth trying to stealth until I get the NVG's and stealth suit? Every attempt just usually ended with me going Rambo and feeling bad afterwards.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Decided to go back and finally try and beat Metro 2033 before starting this one.

About Metro 2033 stealth. Is it even worth trying to stealth until I get the NVG's and stealth suit? Every attempt just usually ended with me going Rambo and feeling bad afterwards.

General consensus is go full rambo because it's just too drat frustrating.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So what exactly is the bad ending? I got the one where Artyom blows himself up, and all the commies along with him. Anna has a babby, and the Dark Ones promise to return and help the humans. I did kill a bunch of people, but still went for knock-outs when it was possible. I also stopped a bunch of rapes, murders and released prisoners whenever I could. I also spared Pavel and Leninsky. If I didn't do this, would the ending be completely depressing instead of somewhat bittersweet but still pretty :unsmith:?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Crouch all the time, use nothing but throwing knives, and you'll make it through silently. If you use guns (even the pneumatic ones) you will probably be found out. I've managed a full stealth run through the game, and it really isn't THAT bad. You do need to be slow and plan your route though.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So what exactly is the bad ending? I got the one where Artyom blows himself up, and all the commies along with him. Anna has a babby, and the Dark Ones promise to return and help the humans. I did kill a bunch of people, but still went for knock-outs when it was possible. I also stopped a bunch of rapes, murders and released prisoners whenever I could. I also spared Pavel and Leninsky. If I didn't do this, would the ending be completely depressing instead of somewhat bittersweet but still pretty :unsmith:?

Nope, that's the bad ending.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Red Mundus posted:

You can get away with popping lights out with a silenced weapon, so long as someone isn't standing too close to it. When you hear them all hushing each other, just wait a few moments for things to calm down. Also, most major stealth areas have some kind of special path you can take to get around most enemies.

In the first one at the bandit base, reaching bourbon undetected does give positive karma.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Is there any way to Kill Pavel and still get the good ending? I'm trying to be a ~*nice guy*~ this time around, but I have a lot of...irritation regarding the actions of that character.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, with the bourbon base I don't even think you have to kill a single enemy, a guy does it for you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been playing this game and enjoying it a lot. IIRC, when I stopped last night, I was a little past Venice. I tried getting into 2033 like 3 or 4 times, and while I loved the atmosphere of that game, I could never get into it for one reason or another, so I ended up watching a video recapping the whole story of 2033 before starting this one. This one has all the atmosphere of 2033 and more, and I guess it gets everything right gameplay-wise that turned me off about 2033 because I'm several hours into it and loving it whereas I could never get that far in 2033.

It gives off serious STALKER vibes, especially when you venture up to the surface. The airport section was creepy as all hell, and every time the mutants appear behind me without me noticing, it scares the poo poo out of me :stonk:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It gives off serious STALKER vibes, especially when you venture up to the surface. The airport section was creepy as all hell, and every time the mutants appear behind me without me noticing, it scares the poo poo out of me :stonk:

Not sure if you know it, but many of the same people who worked on STALKER worked on the Metro :) .

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wicker Man posted:

Not sure if you know it, but many of the same people who worked on STALKER worked on the Metro :) .

I thought I remembered hearing that around the time 2033 came out, just couldn't remember if it was true or not. And I knew Deep Silver published one of the STALKER expansions, but yeah. That's cool! They seem very similar in tone :)

And I read that article posted a page or 2 back about 4A's working conditions...that's just insane. Almost miraculous, even, that they were able to crank out a game this creative and immersive whilst suffering harsh weather conditions, power outages, a limited budget, irrational demands from the former publisher and more.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
What seems crazy about it is that I remember how when Last light was announced, they talked about how for the first Metro, THQ mostly ignored the game. But because Metro 2033 was doing so well, they said that THQ would put full support behind the sequel.

...And then we get that article.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Great game, enjoying it immensely so far.

Now the problem - I'm stuck and I can't figure out where to go. I'm on my way to Venice and after attempting to save a woman pleading for her life off to the side of a tunnel full of torches and hanging bodies, I am in what appears to be a large train station with staircases and an overhanging walkway above the tracks. The starts leading down forward from the walkway are blocked with debris and the bottom is blocked by invisible walls. I've been searching where to go next for 10 minutes now, but the sound of the mutant growling at me is getting annoying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marxismftw posted:

Great game, enjoying it immensely so far.

Now the problem - I'm stuck and I can't figure out where to go. I'm on my way to Venice and after attempting to save a woman pleading for her life off to the side of a tunnel full of torches and hanging bodies, I am in what appears to be a large train station with staircases and an overhanging walkway above the tracks. The starts leading down forward from the walkway are blocked with debris and the bottom is blocked by invisible walls. I've been searching where to go next for 10 minutes now, but the sound of the mutant growling at me is getting annoying.

Ring the bell right in front of the stairs.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Thanks!

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

B B posted:

For what it's worth, I'm working through 2033 right now, as well, and that part took me forever because I was trying to stealth through it on one of the Ranger difficulties. I died so many times before I just said gently caress it and started killing everyone with my AK and grenades.

I can't wait to get night vision goggles so that stealth becomes viable.

This game rules, though, and Last Light might end up being one of the first games in a while that I've bought at full price, after I finish 2033.

It's actually pretty easy to stealth through there once you know the trick. From the entrance, take the left grate and keep left until you reach the shotgun tripwire trap. Khan will make a timely assist, then jump over the sandbags and go left again into the maze. Navigate the maze and once you come out, Khan will assist you again and bam, you're through the whole level without firing a shot.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Tried playing ranger mode, but quite frankly the way it works now with the GUI I would call it nonfunctional. How does Normal Mode Hardcore compare in terms of damage/ressources?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Apologies if this has been asked, I skimmed past the last few pages and didn't find anything: whenever I try and launch the game, I just get a black screen. It seems to be running just fine in Task Manager but I can't do a thing. The benchmark works but that's it. The only thing I found on Google was alt tab twice but that doesn't do a thing.

Anyone else had this/know of a fix?

Edit: fixed now. It might have been Fraps.

neetz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 16, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wasn't one of the preorder bonuses a rifle? What rifle is that and where do you get it? Also what's the difference between the RPK and the Kalash, and why does the RPK icon have an arrow on it? Does that mean its worse than something?

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

It seems much easier to sneak past all the human enemies than to fight them or try to take them out non-lethally. It's kind of silly how you can basically walk right up to people and they won't see you if the lights are out.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Game unlocked for me an hour ago, and as a huge fan of 2033. This game is absolutely stunning. Bloody hell does it look amazing.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Flipswitch posted:

Game unlocked for me an hour ago, and as a huge fan of 2033. This game is absolutely stunning. Bloody hell does it look amazing.

If you think it looks early on you will poo poo your pants in some of the later levels. It is so good.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

dirty nub posted:

It seems much easier to sneak past all the human enemies than to fight them or try to take them out non-lethally. It's kind of silly how you can basically walk right up to people and they won't see you if the lights are out.

But if a game gives me an option to cut throats, by god I'm going to cut some throats.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't one of the preorder bonuses a rifle? What rifle is that and where do you get it? Also what's the difference between the RPK and the Kalash, and why does the RPK icon have an arrow on it? Does that mean its worse than something?

AK74(47?)SU, I think that's what it's name was, can't check right now

Also the RPK has a slower rate of fire but a larger default clip, it can be upgraded to drum magazine unlike the Kalash and I sort of remember more attachments for the RPK in general.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

keyframe posted:

If you think it looks early on you will poo poo your pants in some of the later levels. It is so good.
Yeah this is rapidly going to become my game of the year. 2033 was when it launched and this has done nothing but be enjoyable so far. My only complaint is that I'm retarded and am not sure how to use my throwing knives I've just gotten, or how to check between which ammo I'm using when I had my Kalash/AKSU as Artyom reloads so fast, but I appear to have lost them now anyway.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The preorder weapons are the RPK and a shortened kalash and the arrow signifies it is a downloaded weapon like the auto shotgun or the volt driver in 2033. I haven't tried them out yet but the RPK probably could hold a poo poo ton of bullets since its an lmg.

Also I'm stuck on a part where I signal a boat and defend myself from attacking nosalises. My AK doesn't seem to be as deadly with dirty rounds as its 2033 incarnation and there are too many of them to take on one by one with this shotgun pistol thing I'm carrying around as my secondary.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah this is rapidly going to become my game of the year. 2033 was when it launched and this has done nothing but be enjoyable so far. My only complaint is that I'm retarded and am not sure how to use my throwing knives I've just gotten, or how to check between which ammo I'm using when I had my Kalash/AKSU as Artyom reloads so fast, but I appear to have lost them now anyway.

C key uses your knife/bomb/landmine depending on what you have selected. You have to switch between bombs/knife by holding down tab but I heard on ranger mode that screen doesn't show for whatever reason.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

keyframe posted:

C key uses your knife/bomb/landmine depending on what you have selected. You have to switch between bombs/knife by holding down tab but I heard on ranger mode that screen doesn't show for whatever reason.
I'm on regular Ranger rather than Ranger hardcore so I can see the interface, just not what I have equipped. I'll bumble my way through it no doubt. :) Thanks mate.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

dirty nub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XTcoQMMsc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mushball posted:

Also I'm stuck on a part where I signal a boat and defend myself from attacking nosalises. My AK doesn't seem to be as deadly with dirty rounds as its 2033 incarnation and there are too many of them to take on one by one with this shotgun pistol thing I'm carrying around as my secondary.

Nosalis are absurdly loving powerful in 2034. They go from dying in one shotgun blast to dying in eight, or forty bullets from the kalash 2012.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mushball posted:

They went down with 1-2 shotgun hits for me. Try running up the stairs and hiding in the corner.

Also, goddamn how many loving bullets does this bear take? It sucks that it doesn't really give you any indication of how much damage shooting him in the back is doing. I must have wasted 400 rounds on him and he's still kicking.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

They went down with 1-2 shotgun hits for me. Try running up the stairs and hiding in the corner.

Also, goddamn how many loving bullets does this bear take? It sucks that it doesn't really give you any indication of how much damage shooting him in the back is doing. I must have wasted 400 rounds on him and he's still kicking.

I found that shooting at the cubs on her back during those slow down times(red ones), seemed to help and being with in the shotguns range. If not i switched to my AK. Once the battle is finished she'll charge off into the vines. minor spoiler you can let the cubs finish her or save her

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mushball posted:

The preorder weapons are the RPK and a shortened kalash and the arrow signifies it is a downloaded weapon like the auto shotgun or the volt driver in 2033. I haven't tried them out yet but the RPK probably could hold a poo poo ton of bullets since its an lmg.

Holy poo poo am I dumb. I had no idea what the hell that arrow meant, my brain just assumed it meant that it did less damage than the gun I had equipped. I went through 2033 (twice!) thinking the same goddamn thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WaffleLove posted:

I found that shooting at the cubs on her back during those slow down times(red ones), seemed to help and being with in the shotguns range. If not i switched to my AK. Once the battle is finished she'll charge off into the vines. minor spoiler you can let the cubs finish her or save her

Yeah it definitely does something. If you shoot the red spots quick enough it will roll over so I think that is the only way to damage it. Problem is there is like no indications of how many times I have to do that. This fight seems endless.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah it definitely does something. If you shoot the red spots quick enough it will roll over so I think that is the only way to damage it. Problem is there is like no indications of how many times I have to do that. This fight seems endless.

I agree. I spent 10 minutes on that boss fight. Once i figured out the number of cubs that attack, it goes down for each one you kill from her back. That was the only indicator that I was doing something, once gone the boss sequence is over. I was playing on normal too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I just bumped the difficulty down to normal for that fight because it was killing my immersion buzz and just getting on my nerves. This game really has no reason to have these occasional big bullet sponge bosses.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got past one of the boss fights, and I had no ammo going into it so I grabbed a shotgun loaded with ammo off of a dead enemy and defeated the boss with that. Holy poo poo, is this a quad barreled shotgun?! I hadn't used this gun until now :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
If you have claymores, dropping a clay in front of the bear will instantly make her weakness vulnerable. Changed that fight from infuriating to laughable.

• Locked thread