Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's something new from me, a 9 minute progressive house track:

http://snd.sc/10efZeo

I tried some new approaches to song structure, not sure about them yet...If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
Sick, as always. Swiftly becoming one of my favourites on Soundcloud Mr Wayfinder. To clarify, I can't hear anything wrong with it. Pretty drat professional. If anything, and this is a completely subjective quibble, I find the main bass at 1.25 up until 1.45 when the filter starts kicking up a bit overpowering - then again, I like my plucks and my speakers are poo poo, so YMMV.

Here's something I'm working on. No way shape or form mastered, or mixed, or anything really - https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/wip-papa-dont-preach-chiptro

haakman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 9, 2013

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maguro posted:

I find it's really helpful to make a shitload of tracks in a similar vein. Who cares if they are derivative? If you can write one great tune out of ten then you are doing a good job. Not everything needs to be released.

I don't want to spam the thread too hard about me, me, me, but I am kind of going for your same line of thinking, but the opposite way. If I can write a bunch of different genres to keep myself testing every water, I could eventually be able to meld them all into my sound. I want a current running through where you hear me, who I am, what I like, what I do. Really, that's my (almost involuntary) view on life in general. Either way, it's a long, hard road.

Nonetheless, I want to try and explore where I went with Precipices (whoa, spelling that is like banana ala Mitch Hedberg) and so I think I agree with you there. It's just what I've done up until now.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I'm at the point of crippling self-doubt with this, so I guess that makes it time to see what you guys think

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/bill-carey-4-4-2

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I finally finished my first project in FL Studio. You can listen to it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPt3sN_aWc
Please tell me what you think.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

All Else Failed posted:

I don't want to spam the thread too hard about me, me, me, but I am kind of going for your same line of thinking, but the opposite way. If I can write a bunch of different genres to keep myself testing every water, I could eventually be able to meld them all into my sound. I want a current running through where you hear me, who I am, what I like, what I do. Really, that's my (almost involuntary) view on life in general. Either way, it's a long, hard road.

Nonetheless, I want to try and explore where I went with Precipices (whoa, spelling that is like banana ala Mitch Hedberg) and so I think I agree with you there. It's just what I've done up until now.

Well to be frank the rest of the tunes on your SC are pretty bad. The most recent one has a lot of promise. That's why I suggested keep going in that direction. Also yes it's too early to start a bandcamp.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

haakman posted:

Sick, as always. Swiftly becoming one of my favourites on Soundcloud Mr Wayfinder. To clarify, I can't hear anything wrong with it. Pretty drat professional. If anything, and this is a completely subjective quibble, I find the main bass at 1.25 up until 1.45 when the filter starts kicking up a bit overpowering - then again, I like my plucks and my speakers are poo poo, so YMMV.

Thanks man :) Appreciate it!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Here's something new from me, a 9 minute progressive house track:

http://snd.sc/10efZeo

I tried some new approaches to song structure, not sure about them yet...If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it :)

You are cool and you make cool music. Cool.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

CareyB posted:

I'm at the point of crippling self-doubt with this, so I guess that makes it time to see what you guys think

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/bill-carey-4-4-2

did I race you in LFS at some point?

anyway this sounds like a classic 1 minute of material stretched to 6 minutes - ie. too thin for its duration. more meat please. Also your "climax" sounds dont really work THAT well together as a groove.

as far as I can tell/remember from earlier efforts, you ARE getting better though - so just keep going. dont ever stop!

I am the M00N posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPt3sN_aWc

think you went a little overboard on your FX chains there buddy. if you put abit more effort into getting good sounds from the source, and only keeping the effects you try out if you honestly think it sounds better - I figure you could get some better results. congrats on posting your first track, big step!

edit: spell gud

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

did I race you in LFS at some point?

anyway this sounds like a classic 1 minute of material stretched to 6 minutes - ie. too thin for its duration. more meat please. Also your "climax" sounds dont really work THAT well together as a groove.

as far as I can tell/remember from earlier efforts, you ARE getting better though - so just keep going. dont ever stop!

haha yes we did. Good times!

By climax you mean break? That's redone now, no groove in there anymore... Drops are hard. I've also re-phrased up to the breakdown to lead things in a bit better. When I made the elements it definitely felt like a lot of material but I scrapped a ton of random poo poo, chopped and changed ideas and moved stuff about not wanting to create emptiness. There are also things I feel I need to add but it's kinda got to the point now where there's no space and nothing seems to fit! I definitely hear you regarding the meat. Gonna have a think over the weekend tho I've uploaded a new version so might just leave it and move on to the next one

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 11, 2013

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I finished my album finally :) It sounds something like this.

http://colugo.bandcamp.com/album/resins-and-liquids

Gimme money i'm a poor

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

I am the M00N posted:

The basic mood/arrangement is okay but your EQ needs a lot of work.

Specifically, keep in mind that the kick needs to have the biggest, punchiest presence in a dance track, and here the kick is getting way buried underneath the bassline.

You need to make EQ space for the important parts of your track, and if the bassline has crazy amounts of low end, it's crowding up space that the kick needs to do its job. Remember that just because a bassline (or whatever) sounds super-fat and super harmonically rich in isolation, that's not necessarily what's best for the mix. The mix as a whole is what's important.

Thanks for posting this!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

CareyB posted:

haha yes we did. Good times!

By climax you mean break? That's redone now, no groove in there anymore... Drops are hard. I've also re-phrased up to the breakdown to lead things in a bit better. When I made the elements it definitely felt like a lot of material but I scrapped a ton of random poo poo, chopped and changed ideas and moved stuff about not wanting to create emptiness. There are also things I feel I need to add but it's kinda got to the point now where there's no space and nothing seems to fit! I definitely hear you regarding the meat. Gonna have a think over the weekend tho I've uploaded a new version so might just leave it and move on to the next one

climax meaning the point of greatest musical intensity, in your tracks case thats minutes 3 to 4 before the last shortbreak that leads into the outtro section

dont worry so much about not being able to fit sounds into your built structures, this skill will increase with time by itself. you have my personal guarantee on that. im voting on to the next.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been following this thread for a while, but anyway..
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/stuffs
(Six snippets, I separated them with comments. Any comments on the pieces themselves would be fantastic!)

I made a compilation of some of my current projects, all made solo so far, everything sequenced in DAW.
As you might notice they're nothing but short loops, and that's because even though I feel I'm starting to "get" a lot of this, I still can't compose any kind of progressing song.

I guess I should just keep analyzing and "covering" other songs to understand structure and steal ideas? I wish a knew a singer/songwriter :(

edit: actually this might not even fit in this thread even though it's all VST's and DAW's, the genres themselves aren't electronic :v: Is there a place this would fit better?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 12, 2013

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
Made a house-style song in FL Studio and I was wondering if I could get any feedback for a beginner?

https://soundcloud.com/themexicansamurai/you-are-the-one

I felt like the bongos were a little too loud and my chopping kinda sucks but it was fun making it regardless. Also, what kind of VST's do people tend to use to create their house-style drum pattern?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

I made a compilation of some of my current projects, all made solo so far, everything sequenced in DAW.
As you might notice they're nothing but short loops, and that's because even though I feel I'm starting to "get" a lot of this, I still can't compose any kind of progressing song.

I guess I should just keep analyzing and "covering" other songs to understand structure and steal ideas? I wish a knew a singer/songwriter :(
This is all pretty good generally. You mix towards a slightly warmer sound that is a bit retro, but it works, so, good.

My favorite is the second piece, that would suit some Beatles style vocals pretty well. Strictly, you'd have to write a chorus and a bridge part, but you wouldn't need to make song structure more complicated than that as the vocal would be carrying the song. Another obvious reference would be Aloe Blacc's I need a dollar. Maybe take apart that and Eleanor Rigby to find out where you could go with this.

The third piece is a good example of how distorted electric guitars will always sound a bit artificial when coming from samples/vst unless you are an expert in emulating actual guitar playing styles. You can get away with that somewhere in the background, but you can't have it be the main part. Just listen to the release stage of that envelope. Microtiming, (micro)bends, variation in legato and non-legato playing are mostly what's missing. If you want to look into that, the book The Midi Files by Rob Young has some good pointers on that topic, but in most people's opinion that would be a waste of time, as all these things come naturally when playing an actual guitar, where, even if you knew how, you'd always spend hours tweaking midi stuff to get them to sound natural.

The other stuff was competent but not spectacular to me, but there's the matter of taste in there, so don't take too much notice that I didn't comment on those.

Your Computer posted:

edit: actually this might not even fit in this thread even though it's all VST's and DAW's, the genres themselves aren't electronic :v: Is there a place this would fit better?
You could try this thread, although it does require you to comment on other people's stuff.

Mexican Samurai posted:

Made a house-style song in FL Studio and I was wondering if I could get any feedback for a beginner?

https://soundcloud.com/themexicansamurai/you-are-the-one

I felt like the bongos were a little too loud and my chopping kinda sucks but it was fun making it regardless. Also, what kind of VST's do people tend to use to create their house-style drum pattern?
There are some problems with the mixing that I'm going to leave there, just because you're going to need to focus on another thing first: getting stuff in key and in tune.

It's true that in some house some dissonance can work, but it's a bit too random at the moment. I'm not the person to educate you on this, but in music all the melodic elements have relations with one another. Those are well documented in what's called music theory. I'm sure there are some basic tutorials out there that can help you out learning what to listen for at least.

If you're using mainly samples -and I suspect you might be- you should take the time to verify the same midi note plays the same musical note for each sample and to transpose or tune the sample if necessary. This goes for the bongos too.

As for drum patterns, FL Studio's own single sample sampler and drum grid are something I miss in other DAWs. You can add a drum synthesizer plugin like Drumatic for tweakable synthetic drums, but in my opinion there's no more convenient way for making basic drum patterns than the default way in FL Studio.

You should really keep at it though; I have made significantly worse stuff in my beginning stages :)

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I made a really cheesy, kinda retro sounding electro tune that I hope some of you might enjoy :)

https://soundcloud.com/z0rz0rz0r/z0r-leaving-orbit

Any critique is welcome, since I'm planning to produce an EP with a similar aesthetic in summer when I have more time to do so.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

climax meaning the point of greatest musical intensity, in your tracks case thats minutes 3 to 4 before the last shortbreak that leads into the outtro section

dont worry so much about not being able to fit sounds into your built structures, this skill will increase with time by itself. you have my personal guarantee on that. im voting on to the next.

Cheers yeah I may go back and fix that breakdown as thats an area I really need to work on but for now it's set to private and I've started something else.

Music production: The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

edit this may be useful to people, The 27 best free VST plug-ins in the world today: https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-27-best-free-vst-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-277953/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
e: nah

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Your Computer posted:

Haven't been following this thread for a while, but anyway..
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/stuffs
(Six snippets, I separated them with comments. Any comments on the pieces themselves would be fantastic!)

I really like a lot of these. You need to find a vocalist to work with - you're like 3/4 of a trip-hop group.

I knocked a really short piece, a work in progress still. I guess it's glitch/synthpop? Anyway, it's here:

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-tyndall/drive-it-like-you-stole-it

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flipperwaldt posted:

As for drum patterns, FL Studio's own single sample sampler and drum grid are something I miss in other DAWs. You can add a drum synthesizer plugin like Drumatic for tweakable synthetic drums, but in my opinion there's no more convenient way for making basic drum patterns than the default way in FL Studio.

I feel like this has been one of my biggest problems with trying to move to something more friendly for live performance, i.e. Ableton. Writing drums in FL Studio, among other things, is quite ample and user-friendly. I don't care much for the idea of a (virtual) drum rack. And from what I understand, I could slave FL to Ableton but who wants to go through all of that? I'd rather know and use one thing to keep workflow less cluttered. Are we wrong?

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
Since everyone is talking about FL here, I was wondering if anyone had a chance to use FL 11 on a tablet yet? It's a deciding factor on whether or not I should get a Windows 8 tablet, and I couldn't find any info on software performance and requirements..

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

More 160bpm atmospheric stuff!
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/chump-change-star

Free download, breaks, divas, and more!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All Else Failed posted:

I feel like this has been one of my biggest problems with trying to move to something more friendly for live performance, i.e. Ableton. Writing drums in FL Studio, among other things, is quite ample and user-friendly. I don't care much for the idea of a (virtual) drum rack. And from what I understand, I could slave FL to Ableton but who wants to go through all of that? I'd rather know and use one thing to keep workflow less cluttered. Are we wrong?
I wouldn't know about live performance. What I'm talking about is that a capable single sample sampler makes sense to me for drums, much more than dealing with multi out plugins and assembling a kit in yet another interface that's made to look like an Akai sampler or worse, something that also needs to accommodate multi layered multi sample instrument sounds.

If I want to add a snare, to me that's a separate instrument and I want to treat it like a separate instrument all the way. That includes how it's visualized in the instrument rack, freezing options, whatever. It's a minor UI/workflow niggle, because in the end all I want to do is possible and not all that complicated. It's just that, coming form a tracker background, single sample samplers make more sense to me, and since it's such a simple concept, I'm frustrated I can't find a decent one that includes amp, filter and pitch envelopes and start offset.

As far as the pattern thing is concerned, in Cubase I can set up a drum view instead of a piano roll and if I really need sets of patterns, I'll deal with a plugin like Stepchild, which works fine for me for drafts the same way I'd use the FL Studio pattern sequencer, and might work for triggering patterns in a live situation as well.

Slaving FL Studio isn't exactly a big chore either, especially because you simply can run the entire program as a VSTi inside another DAW. It's just like you say: who wants to go through all that? There has got to be a simpler way.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else and I might be 'wrong' in that sense. Point is that FL Studio does that one thing very right, but gently caress me, I'm not dealing with its other idiosyncrasies.

freudorbison posted:

Since everyone is talking about FL here, I was wondering if anyone had a chance to use FL 11 on a tablet yet? It's a deciding factor on whether or not I should get a Windows 8 tablet, and I couldn't find any info on software performance and requirements.
In what way does FL Studio seem a good candidate to be handled with a touch interface to you? :confused:

Also, just for clarity, a (non-RT) Windows 8 tablet would run vanilla FL Studio; the mobile versions are for Android/iOS only (and are an abortion from the 15 minutes I had to play with them).

As for performance, five years ago I ran the then current version on a single core Athlon XP2400 and my guess would be the framework is definitely going to work on a Windows 8 tablet, but you might have to keep the number of plugins running concurrently down, if anything. I have no idea what latency would be like with the onboard audio either.

I'm just struggling to imagine how a tablet is going to serve you better than a laptop (perhaps even with touchscreen) running it.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wouldn't know about live performance. What I'm talking about is that a capable single sample sampler makes sense to me for drums, much more than dealing with multi out plugins and assembling a kit in yet another interface that's made to look like an Akai sampler or worse, something that also needs to accommodate multi layered multi sample instrument sounds.

If I want to add a snare, to me that's a separate instrument and I want to treat it like a separate instrument all the way. That includes how it's visualized in the instrument rack, freezing options, whatever. It's a minor UI/workflow niggle, because in the end all I want to do is possible and not all that complicated. It's just that, coming form a tracker background, single sample samplers make more sense to me, and since it's such a simple concept, I'm frustrated I can't find a decent one that includes amp, filter and pitch envelopes and start offset.

As far as the pattern thing is concerned, in Cubase I can set up a drum view instead of a piano roll and if I really need sets of patterns, I'll deal with a plugin like Stepchild, which works fine for me for drafts the same way I'd use the FL Studio pattern sequencer, and might work for triggering patterns in a live situation as well.

Slaving FL Studio isn't exactly a big chore either, especially because you simply can run the entire program as a VSTi inside another DAW. It's just like you say: who wants to go through all that? There has got to be a simpler way.

Wait... I was agreeing with you...

You're a wealth of knowledge and a decent guy, judging from your participation in this thread. I agree with you.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, my bad; instead of just trying it for myself, I just went from theory in my head. In the process I missed the pretty important detail that you should use a bandpass filter instead of a lowpass filter. Otherwise you get stuck with a bunch of low end noise that doesn't resemble a hihat anymore.

I think you'll find that concept/ballpark-wise Synth1 will do fine. If you want to pull more out of this concept, a plugin with more control over various filters and filter parameters is Oatmeal.

Starting from a standard, built in Synth1 init patch, all the stuff marked pink is what you need to change to roughly the values in this screenshot:

I gave it a go and I am (mostly) happy with the results I got.
https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/computation
Still, I am trying to get the sound to have a bit more strength to it. I want it to sound a bit closer to a distant metallic sound, or at least a bit more distinct (sharper maybe?).

I guess I just want to get more out of this sound. I messed with the example you provided and got this:

The third note in the sequence was on a separate channel, since I don't know how to assign frequency or other things to keys. It makes more of a brushing sound than the tapping sound of the first one, since all I really did was change the decay stage on the amp.

So, what can I do to improve these further? I tried replicating them in Oatmeal, but I don't really understand Oatmeal so well.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

In what way does FL Studio seem a good candidate to be handled with a touch interface to you? :confused:

Also, just for clarity, a (non-RT) Windows 8 tablet would run vanilla FL Studio; the mobile versions are for Android/iOS only (and are an abortion from the 15 minutes I had to play with them).

As for performance, five years ago I ran the then current version on a single core Athlon XP2400 and my guess would be the framework is definitely going to work on a Windows 8 tablet, but you might have to keep the number of plugins running concurrently down, if anything. I have no idea what latency would be like with the onboard audio either.

I'm just struggling to imagine how a tablet is going to serve you better than a laptop (perhaps even with touchscreen) running it.

FL Studio 11 has a new performance mode designed for multi-touch controls, which I'm assuming was designed with current-gen Windows 8 tablets in mind.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Potentially stupid question but how come some finished commercial songs will clip in Ableton?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All Else Failed posted:

Wait... I was agreeing with you...

You're a wealth of knowledge and a decent guy, judging from your participation in this thread. I agree with you.
I felt our reasons for agreeing with the same point were slightly different (In the sense that live performance stuff isn't important to me at all), so I wanted to clarify my personal point of view and I went off on a sort of rant that wasn't aimed at you combined with some workarounds I had at this point.

Any negative emotion in that post didn't have you as the intended recipient. Sorry if that wasn't clear; I shouldn't post when I've got to be somewhere else in five minutes.

I never assumed we disagreed about the core concepts. EDIT_2: Sorry if this still sounds dickish. I hope we're cool.

Thanks for the kind words, by the way.

I am the M00N posted:

I gave it a go and I am (mostly) happy with the results I got.
[...]

So, what can I do to improve these further? I tried replicating them in Oatmeal, but I don't really understand Oatmeal so well.
I can't check this out right now, but I probably will somewhere tomorrow.

Oatmeal only started to make sense to me after installing one of the Limeflavour Tron skins that reorganised the buttons in clear groups.

freudorbison posted:

FL Studio 11 has a new performance mode designed for multi-touch controls, which I'm assuming was designed with current-gen Windows 8 tablets in mind.
Did not know about that, but in that case that makes a whole lot of more sense.

EDIT_1:

Thoogsby posted:

Potentially stupid question but how come some finished commercial songs will clip in Ableton?
Some DAWs use a lower treshold for the clip indicator to prevent people from loving up. I just read this in Bob Katz' book, I have not technically verified that.

It's also possible that the source of the songs has encoded mp3s that were normalized to 0dB, which can result in clipping during decoding. You might not necessarily hear it during normal playback, but it will trigger the clip indicator.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 15, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Thoogsby, look ^up^ for my edit if you missed it.

I am the M00N posted:

Still, I am trying to get the sound to have a bit more strength to it. I want it to sound a bit closer to a distant metallic sound, or at least a bit more distinct (sharper maybe?).
Distant and metallic is more or less synonymous with "add crappy algorithmic reverb". A good one for this specific job would be Voxengo OldSkoolVerb. Essentially you don't want to dampen the high frequencies in the reverb, which means you'll have to turn up the DAMP HI frequency dial. You probably want to increase the time factor from the default as well. Play with it a bit, I don't know what you like. I ended up in OldSkoolVerb with [predelay 47], [space 21], [time 7250], [width 50], [damp lo 65], [damp hi 9.3K], [eq lo -12], [eq mid -3], [eq hi 7.5]. If you're adding this reverb as a send, click the 'dry mute' button. (Sorry I didn't deem all this worth a screenshot)

In the mean time, play with the attack phase of the filter envelope, to vary the tonality of the initial 'tick' of the sound. This has a subtle influence on the reverb as well.

I am the M00N posted:

The third note in the sequence was on a separate channel, since I don't know how to assign frequency or other things to keys. It makes more of a brushing sound than the tapping sound of the first one, since all I really did was change the decay stage on the amp.
The TRK knob in the filter section of Synth1 maps the filter frequencies to the keyboard (and it's already maxed in your screenshot). The knob has, however, a limited range. This means that to hit the lower 'note' you want, you may have to move down an octave or more!

If you want to vary the decay rate between notes, the Wheel/MIDI section of Synth1 allows you to map the mod wheel to 'amp D'. If you don't have a midi controller with a mod wheel, you should still be able to enter the modulation events in an automation lane in your DAW. (Modulation = CC#1) The knob between '#1 mod wheel' and 'amp D' decides the range of the effect; turn this up a bit. (edit: I suppose in most DAWs there simply is an automation lane for every parameter of a vsti anyway, so you probably can bypass the mapping it to the modulation wheel entirely)

And since you've got the compressor effect already on there; I've found that turning up 'ctl1' gives a bit more oomph.

I am the M00N posted:

I tried replicating them in Oatmeal, but I don't really understand Oatmeal so well.
Let me know if after the suggestions above you're still looking into this and I'll hit you up with some screenshots and some explanation. Those are only going to make sense to you if you use one of the skins suggested above, or the Lumina skin I (apparently) use myself, so I suggest you look into that then.

Main difference is going to be the fact that Oatmeal also has 24dB and a 48dB bandpass filter, whereas Synth1 only has a 12dB one. This makes the filter effect more pronounced in Oatmeal, ie it's going to sound more tonal and less noisy.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 15, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thoogsby, look ^up^ for my edit if you missed it.

Gotcha, thanks!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Decided to upload this edit of a Lykke Li track I've been working on. I've listened to it so many times in various forms I can't tell if it's good or bad.
https://soundcloud.com/winemouth/i-know-places-edit

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I didn't know whether to post this here or the dumb music question thread. I used to record a little on my old computer. I would record my synths and samples directly into my computer and manually move around the .wavs to get everything arranged. I even did this with the drums, where I would just sample a drum hit, and then copy and paste each individual drum hit into a track.

I'm going to be setting up Cubase on my current computer and start recording stuff again, and want to learn how to actually program drums in a non rear end backwards way. Where is a good place to start with software drums?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Originally posted this in the 'How to make a particular sound' thread but it might actually be more appropriate here, as it's less a 'particular sound' and more 'help me understand FM synthesis'.

Poizen Jam posted:

So, while I know all the theory of FM synthesis and know all the techno-jargon surrounding it, I remain terrible at it so I must enlist help. Particularly, I want to know how to replicate two rather common sounds in an FM Synthesizer.

Danger 4h30

Now, the main bass (Which comes in after 8 bars) I can synthesize just fine on a moog or analog synth emulator pretty well, but it lacks a certain grit and character that I love. Wondering how I'd do the same on the FM Synth.

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm curious how to make that classic sega genesis electric guitar style lead that comes in around 0:50 and dominates the mix at 1:08 on or so.

So yeah, I know HOW FM works. I know the principles behind it and RM and how OSC's affect one another. I can make really simple sounds, sure, but I still don't understand how to use FM to achieve those metallic twangy sounds that the Genesis was so famous for.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Poizen Jam posted:

So yeah, I know HOW FM works. I know the principles behind it and RM and how OSC's affect one another. I can make really simple sounds, sure, but I still don't understand how to use FM to achieve those metallic twangy sounds that the Genesis was so famous for.

Here's a zip file to the FM patch data from thousands of Genesis songs.

They're in .OPM format, which you can import into VOPM, a free VST emulation of the 4 operator YM2151 chip which the Genesis uses. Unfortunately patch import doesn't work on the Mac version of VOPM, and the plugin's UI isn't very good.

A better solution is probably to use this TXCONVERT script, which converts the .OPM files into DX7 .SYX (sysex) that can be imported into FM8.

EDIT: Here are some Sonic 2 sounds pre-converted if you just want something to look at: http://discolingua.com/sonic2_dx7.zip

vvv yeah, that basic metallic sound is one of the easiest things to do with FM

h_double fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2013

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also FM metallic tang is "use an envelope to sweep the frequency of the modulator" 90 percent of the time.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lots of stuff

Sweet Jesus, I did it! Thank you so much! I finally have the sound I wanted all along. You are freaking awesome, where did you learn this stuff?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 16, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

h_double posted:

Here's a zip file to the FM patch data from thousands of Genesis songs.

They're in .OPM format, which you can import into VOPM, a free VST emulation of the 4 operator YM2151 chip which the Genesis uses. Unfortunately patch import doesn't work on the Mac version of VOPM, and the plugin's UI isn't very good.

A better solution is probably to use this TXCONVERT script, which converts the .OPM files into DX7 .SYX (sysex) that can be imported into FM8.

EDIT: Here are some Sonic 2 sounds pre-converted if you just want something to look at: http://discolingua.com/sonic2_dx7.zip

vvv yeah, that basic metallic sound is one of the easiest things to do with FM

Holy crap thanks for this. I have VOPM and FM8, but find VOPM to be a pain to work with (Not to mention compatibility issues with MAC). I like visual feedback and the strictly minimalist style of VOPM was a little hard for me to grasp while still getting used to FM synthesis. I do have the preset pack you posted, but had no idea I could convert it to FM8. FM8 is much easier to work with and grasp visually in my experience. And thanks Forums Terrorist for that, that helps a lot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I am the M00N posted:

where did you learn this stuff?
I don't really know :shrug:

I guess, if I had to give a tip you could do something with, I had a minimalist period for a while (plugin wise) and squeezing every last bit out of a feature limited synth like ProtoPSG taught me a lot about virtual analog synths. It helped me wrap my brain around the core concept without getting distracted by thousands of modulation options, fancy filters and effects, arpeggiators and billions of neato presets.

And while trying to reach a specific goal is probably very productive, just loving around aimlessly can lead you to places you didn't know you wanted te be. Twist some knobs until you get what they're for and what they do to the sound. I've closed more projects without saving than with, at this point. Not because nothing interesting came of it, but because getting there was all I cared for.

I've read the occasional book on sound related subjects, but definitely the most stuff just seeped into my brain while messing around over the last, poo poo, twenty years or so. Or more if you count making BASIC go beep.

I've gone through years of my life where I couldn't enjoy listening to music anymore because I was constantly analyzing it and breaking it apart. That's a level of obsession I can't recommend.

I remember when I was a little kid, I was very impressed by the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off where he had a keyboard that made sick noises. I remember my father telling me about samplers and how you'd be able to play a symphony of farts with them. I guess that's basically what I've strived for all these years :monocle:

I don't know why I'm telling you all this or what the moral of the story is. I'm probably trying to communicate why I can't just point you to the-all-encompassing-youtube-tutorial-that-made-it-click-for-me or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

I remember when I was a little kid, I was very impressed by the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off where he had a keyboard that made sick noises. I remember my father telling me about samplers and how you'd be able to play a symphony of farts with them. I guess that's basically what I've strived for all these years :monocle:

When I was a little kid, I used to get a piece of cardboard and draw these big panels full of knobs and switches and readouts. I thought I was playing spaceships, but deep down inside I knew what was up.

• Locked thread