Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I guess Disney is just 100% against the idea of an animated Marvel series playing it straight now. Oh well. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't what says about me that with the Conan intro I could only think of Golden Axe :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't what says about me that with the Conan intro I could only think of Golden Axe :v:

It mostly says that Golden Axe ripped off Marvel's version of Conan so hard it might as well have called the warrior Konnan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess Disney is just 100% against the idea of an animated Marvel series playing it straight now. Oh well. :(
Children can't understand a lot of things in Jeph Loeb's world, there can't be continuity and the they can't be dramatic because kids can only enjoy comedies :downs:

I'm sorry that life has in the past poo poo on him, but can he just retire and go away?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the voice acting, but I am glad they replaced Tony as I loving hated his voice in EMH.
The A:EMH Tony Stark voice is the one I always hear when reading him now. I've tried to replace it with RDJ, but it just doesn't stick.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I do like Thor's voice, but I'm a sucker for Travis Willingham :allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

The A:EMH Tony Stark voice is the one I always hear when reading him now. I've tried to replace it with RDJ, but it just doesn't stick.

Well I'd imagine the replacement would be easy to make, seeing as how Eric Loomis (the EMH guy) is just doing a spot-on RDJ (to me at least). Really disliking the new guy though

achillesforever6 posted:

Children can't understand a lot of things in Jeph Loeb's world, there can't be continuity and the they can't be dramatic because kids can only enjoy comedies :downs:

I think it's a little early to poo poo on it just because of that trailer. I mean, the other show had comedic elements too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

redbackground posted:

EMH Tony Stark sucks on pretty much all possible levels. Voice actor, character, design, everything. Nothing that is cool or interesting about Iron Man survives into that adaptation of the character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

That's a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. Easily the worst part of that show.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

That's a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.
I can't be the only one....I can't be!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

I can't be the only one....I can't be!

Well, I don't read comics in his voice, but I don't think he's horrible like other people apparently do.

e: Somehow it only just hit me that with the end of EMH and this new show coming out now, Hawkeye's old costume is now totally gone from all forms of media. And that's terrible. I liked that goofy purple... thing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

EMH Tony Stark sucks on pretty much all possible levels. Voice actor, character, design, everything. Nothing that is cool or interesting about Iron Man survives into that adaptation of the character.

I liked the voice well enough at the beginning of the show, but it started to grate on me over time. Now all I hear is someone trying to do a terrible Jack Black impersonation instead of a terrible RDJ one. I did like that black "Tron" suit he wore under his armor, everything else sucked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love how Roger Craig Smith as Cap sounds exactly like his Chris Redfield, there's literally no differention in the voice and Iron Man's voice sucks. I hated it back in the Marvel anime and in Ultimate Spider-Man I still hate it now. I'm probably one of the five people who liked his EMH voice, but I really do think Eric Loomis did a good job there. Maybe I'm just being cynical because I hate the idea of the new show since it's basically cribbing off of the movie among several other things, but drat the voice acting already sounds generic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Marvel's cartoons are cursed, any time they start getting near the DCAU, some bullshit like this happens.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I too liked the voice in EMH. I find the new Tony Stark voice to sound a little too highpitched.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I liked the voice well enough at the beginning of the show, but it started to grate on me over time. Now all I hear is someone trying to do a terrible Jack Black impersonation instead of a terrible RDJ one. I did like that black "Tron" suit he wore under his armor, everything else sucked.

There was that one episode where every Avenger gets poisoned by a mist and Carol is the last one, so she tries to find Tony who's immune because of his suit and she collapses right in from of him. Tony then says "Carol, no!" in an example of some of the worst, most uninterested voice acting I've ever heard. Guy should not be paid for that level of quality. gently caress EMH Tony Stark.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

KungFu Grip posted:

I too liked the voice in EMH. I find the new Tony Stark voice to sound a little too highpitched.
The funny thing is Eric Loomis wasn't really doing a RDJ impersonation in EMH. That IS his actual voice.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 17, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It mostly says that Golden Axe ripped off Marvel's version of Conan so hard it might as well have called the warrior Konnan.
ARRIBA LA RAZA!!!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm sorry that life has in the past poo poo on him, but can he just retire and go away?

The making things less dramatic was the same way with Earth's Mightiest Heroes before Loeb came on with dumb stuff like Thor being Prince of Thunder because he couldn't be a God and Hulk being the "strongest hero there is" because he can't be angry.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think the issue is with Thor being a god. He is clearly a Norse God. The word itself is sort of a loaded one and can sometimes get in the way of S&P. Turner Broadcasting's S&P had issues with Jesus's name being used which led to a few episodes of Futurama being edited.

As far as the Hulk not being angry, I never heard that before. There are still references to his power being rooted in anger like when Hawkeye gets him to turn back into Banner by cracking him up with the notion that Hawkeye could take the Hulk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I think it's a little early to poo poo on it just because of that trailer. I mean, the other show had comedic elements too.
That is true, I mean I like a lot of the VAs they hired for this show and the animation looks good; I'm just grasping for reasons to hate it and that is pretty unfair to it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I literally watch superhero cartoons these days just so I have something to hate. For instance, I'm watching through every episode of Ultimate Spider-Man and slowly beginning to lose the ability to laugh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I literally watch superhero cartoons these days just so I have something to hate. For instance, I'm watching through every episode of Ultimate Spider-Man and slowly beginning to lose the ability to laugh.

Mix it up with some Brave and the Bold

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think the issue is with Thor being a god. He is clearly a Norse God. The word itself is sort of a loaded one and can sometimes get in the way of S&P. Turner Broadcasting's S&P had issues with Jesus's name being used which led to a few episodes of Futurama being edited.

As far as the Hulk not being angry, I never heard that before. There are still references to his power being rooted in anger like when Hawkeye gets him to turn back into Banner by cracking him up with the notion that Hawkeye could take the Hulk.

Well whether it's loaded or not is still the fact that the concept is neutered to be less dramatic. Anything to make it as bland as possible.

The Hulk thing is the fact that there is no downside to being The Hulk. He's not an angry monster, he's just a dumb strong hero that Banner has no problem with. It's the same as the film universe, it makes the concept safer and more easy to market to kids.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Watch Spectacular Spiderman and Batman Brave and the Bold. Turn that frown upside down.

Then again, despair at when Spectacular Spiderman was cut down on it's prime. It left with a cliffhanger. :smith:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just want to chime in with some obvious comments. I'm rewatching JLU again, and it's just about the best superhero show ever to me. It just hits all the right notes in terms of art design, voice acting, humor, pathos, action, and character development. Though I suppose that last part has a lot to do with the long, established continuity of the DCAU.

The Cadmus storyline was so mature while still being accessible to kids and brought up some great points about power and how easily it can corrupt. It's another great thing about the show: it never pandered to its viewers. They gave kids some credit which a lot of children's programming doesn't. It also very easily could have become too convoluted with all the characters it featured, but the writers were smart enough to stick mostly to the core of seven, with a sprinkling of the newer members here and there. Perfect.

K, rant over.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shindragon posted:

Then again, despair at when Spectacular Spiderman was cut down on it's prime. It left with a cliffhanger. :smith:

This is the true tragedy of our times.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Well whether it's loaded or not is still the fact that the concept is neutered to be less dramatic. Anything to make it as bland as possible.

The Hulk thing is the fact that there is no downside to being The Hulk. He's not an angry monster, he's just a dumb strong hero that Banner has no problem with. It's the same as the film universe, it makes the concept safer and more easy to market to kids.

I'd say there's a downside to the Hulk, but it isn't really shown very well in team films. The Hulk certainly causes problems in his personal life. But that's a pretty typical plot line for super hero stories.

It would be interesting if we ever did get an adaptation of Hulk that is more of a force of nature and unpredictable, but I doubt we ever will. Hell, we might not even get another Hulk movie.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Reinanigans posted:

I just want to chime in with some obvious comments. I'm rewatching JLU again, and it's just about the best superhero show ever to me. It just hits all the right notes in terms of art design, voice acting, humor, pathos, action, and character development. Though I suppose that last part has a lot to do with the long, established continuity of the DCAU.

The Cadmus storyline was so mature while still being accessible to kids and brought up some great points about power and how easily it can corrupt. It's another great thing about the show: it never pandered to its viewers. They gave kids some credit which a lot of children's programming doesn't. It also very easily could have become too convoluted with all the characters it featured, but the writers were smart enough to stick mostly to the core of seven, with a sprinkling of the newer members here and there. Perfect.

K, rant over.

I actually just recently finished burning through the Justice League shows myself and yeah, JLU is definitely a great series. Both it and Brave and the Bold scratch this weird, specific itch I have for seeing DC's obscure B-tier heroes in action, and JLU in particular does a really good job of sharing the spotlight between a lot of different characters and making you like almost all of them. On some level I almost kind of wish they had gotten away from the core seven entirely-- your Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman are all well and good, but JLU has a lot of great side characters (The Question :allears:) and I would've loved to see more of them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Watch Spectacular Spiderman and Batman Brave and the Bold. Turn that frown upside down.

And poor Wolverine and the X-Men, season 2 sounded like it was going to be good too :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I guess it's easy to miss that EMH is supposed to be a kid's cartoon, but it is. This is why:

-Iron Man is not a drunken conservative who struggles to not be a superscience abomination and who doubles as an antagonist

-The Hulk is not a hyperviolent, erstwhile antagonist drowning in personal drama

-Ant Man is not a huge dick

The characters are sort of neutered, and in Iron Man's case made totally unappealing. If you're an adult Hulk fan you probably find EMH's treatment mortifying. He is the Hulk literally 29 days out of the month (or more) and Bruce Banner being trapped in the back of his psyche is joke filler.

This is a youth-targeted superhero ensemble show. Characters are lucky if they get one episode dedicated to why they are unique and interesting. Otherwise you are expected to know and not particularly care, because at its best, EMH is a comic farce featuring "fan-favorite" characters. It really fell off the rails and became even more dumbed-down in the second season, though. The Graviton story arc is probably the best moment in EMH because it perfectly captures what the show is good at (twenty minutes an episode of earth-shattering comic violence), sweeping aside the other issues that it is bad at and shouldn't deal with. New York is basically destroyed during that arc, there are tons of ethical implications for SHIELD, and none of the characters even care.

Probably the only character who survives the EMH treatment reasonably intact is Thor, because Thor is ridiculous in all the ways that kids find appealing to begin with.

I'm not saying EMH is a great show, but the first season is a guilty pleasure.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah EMH isn't the best show ever, but compared to the garbage we got in the last Avenger cartoon...

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I guess it's easy to miss that EMH is supposed to be a kid's cartoon, but it is. This is why:

-Iron Man is not a drunken conservative who struggles to not be a superscience abomination and who doubles as an antagonist

-The Hulk is not a hyperviolent, erstwhile antagonist drowning in personal drama

-Ant Man is not a huge dick

The characters are sort of neutered, and in Iron Man's case made totally unappealing. If you're an adult Hulk fan you probably find EMH's treatment mortifying. He is the Hulk literally 29 days out of the month (or more) and Bruce Banner being trapped in the back of his psyche is joke filler.

This is a youth-targeted superhero ensemble show. Characters are lucky if they get one episode dedicated to why they are unique and interesting. Otherwise you are expected to know and not particularly care, because at its best, EMH is a comic farce featuring "fan-favorite" characters. It really fell off the rails and became even more dumbed-down in the second season, though. The Graviton story arc is probably the best moment in EMH because it perfectly captures what the show is good at (twenty minutes an episode of earth-shattering comic violence), sweeping aside the other issues that it is bad at and shouldn't deal with. New York is basically destroyed during that arc, there are tons of ethical implications for SHIELD, and none of the characters even care.

Probably the only character who survives the EMH treatment reasonably intact is Thor, because Thor is ridiculous in all the ways that kids find appealing to begin with.

I'm not saying EMH is a great show, but the first season is a guilty pleasure.

So, your main complaint is that the characters weren't as unlikeable as they could possibly be?

-Tony HAS to be a drunken conservative, even though he's spent most of his print history as a successfully recovering alcoholic, and is more frequently portrayed as a former conservative turned antiwar moderate?

-Ant-Man HAS to be a huge dick because those are the only Ant-Man stories anyone ever talks about?

-The Hulk HAS to be hyperviolent, even though his characterisation in the comics has ranged everywhere from "total raging monster" to "Genius scientist in a giant green body"?

Because the producers of a show aimed at children chose not to go with the least child-friendly characterisations of their colourful heroes, the show is a "comic farce" and "dumbed down"?

As for the ethical implications of the first two episodes, the Avengers refused to work for Fury because his unethical cloak-and-dagger M.O. was directly responsible for the Graviton incident. They spend a large portion of those episodes discussing that. How does that factor into your assertion that "none of the characters even care"?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I actually really like Ant-Man's characterization on the show and them changing Ultron's origin iso that it was a collective team failure instead of it being all on Pym was a good decision.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, whatever else EMH's failings might have been, and I certainly didn't think it was the worst superhero show to come out in recent memory, EMH Ant Man was pretty rad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, whatever else EMH's failings might have been, and I certainly didn't think it was the worst superhero show to come out in recent memory, EMH Ant Man was pretty rad.

Yeah, that version and the version in Samnne/Langridge's Thor: The Mighty Avenger actually made Pym one of my favourites, and he was pretty rad in Avengers Academy, too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

So, your main complaint is that the characters weren't as unlikeable as they could possibly be?

I'm not actually complaining. I guess it sounds like a complaint? I really like EMH Hulk and it's nice to see some of these characters not weighed down with a hundred megatons of pathos, because that poo poo gets really old and the sulky origin stories a lot of the time are all the adaptations are interested in.

I like comic farces. I like that the Avengers live action movie was largely about action figures banging together, "Who would win in a fight?" and how it managed to make that appealing. Captain America ordering Hulk to smash and then Hulk doing that was one of the most cathartic moments in cinema last year. And that is why the first season of EMH is really good, because it is like a faster-paced Avengers movie.

It really sucked when the second season happened. Hulk gets captured and everyone forgets he exists, stuff like that.

EMH Iron Man sucks throughout though, and not because he's not getting his drank on and being the bad guy.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mr. Maltose posted:

The best Marvel Cartoon Cameo is in Fantastic Four. Galactus has beaten up all the heroes. Out of goddamn nowhere GHOST RIDER motorcycles up, stares at Galactus, and then rides off while Tony Jay moans about all the bad stuff he's done. It's absolutely nonsensical and wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJODL_p4ToA

My god is Ben Grimm annoying as hell in this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I don't know why, but Richard Greico sounds great as Ghost Rider both now and then. The voice sounds a bit different from UMVC3, but it's still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsePyOUvinA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

bbf2 posted:

My god is Ben Grimm annoying as hell in this.

He's annoying in most things.

• Locked thread