Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I gotta admit, The Guradian's review, particularly the fourth and fifth paragraph nailed my criticism's of the album perfectly. Especially this part:

The Guardian posted:

Occasionally Random Access Memories is marked by the sense that Daft Punk have become so immersed in the process of making music they've lost sight of the result. At its least interesting, on the instrumental Motherboard or the Air-like Within, it feels as if you're in the presence of something slightly vapid, that it's all varnish and no substance. Listening to the ballad The Game of Love feels a little like leafing through one of those interior design magazines packed with photos of hugely expensive houses that don't appear to have been lived in: you gawp at the good taste on display, but struggle to find an emotional connection with it.

Edit:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah they need to lock Nile Rodgers down. Give him his own helmet or something. His little popping run on the riff at the very front of Get Lucky is so loving cool.

You listen to all of the Chic stuff right?

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not for nothin' but I already like my remix better than anything I heard on the legit album.

(disclaimer: I'm a music noob and just did this on my ipad but had a blast doing it!)

https://soundcloud.com/feenix/doin-it-giorgio
(the ending gets a little chaotic, I probably should have mixed in the D I R beat a little sooner and a little calmer)

(I literally turned on my iPad, hit record and just did it on the fly..)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Pretty good drum cover of "Giorgio by Moroder"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVttsiTVKEA

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hatelull posted:

Not to derail this thing to a Pitchfork discussion, since I know this is neither the time nor the place, but do you really think Pitchfork would give a rating based on cash deposits?

I don't think it is anything as overt as a record label saying "here is $X for Y rating" but I wouldn't be surprised if a sponsorship or the promise of being able to book Daft Punk at the Pitchfork Music Festival could influence their rating, especially if it was just +1.0 points in the scale (from 7.0 to 8.0).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thathonkey posted:

I don't think it is anything as overt as a record label saying "here is $X for Y rating" but I wouldn't be surprised if a sponsorship or the promise of being able to book Daft Punk at the Pitchfork Music Festival could influence their rating, especially if it was just +1.0 points in the scale (from 7.0 to 8.0).

What? In what world would Daft Punk ever play Pitchfork?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Maybe I am late but this is now available on Australian Spotify. If it wasn't for ebay scalpers I would be on my way to Wee Waa right now. So.. haha gently caress YOU WEE WAA!

Giorgio by Moroder is awesome!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Maybe that was a stretch but w daft punk declining in relevance and p4k fest rising in popularity and scope each year it doesnt seem impossible

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Blast Fantasto posted:

In the same world they made an album that actively distanced itself from all the dance music they've made before.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

thathonkey posted:

w daft punk declining in relevance

Do you live on a planet where RAM isn't the most anticipated and (arguably) most significant release world-wide for the music industry in the summer of 2013?

Edit: I mean you can argue about whether or not they've lost their mojo, but no force on earth is going to stop this album from becoming a colossal success. Daft Punk are pretty unshakeable at this point.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 17, 2013

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I don't have iTunes, but I'm getting the impression the album is almost not electronic at all. This the case?

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Wank posted:

Maybe I am late but this is now available on Australian Spotify. If it wasn't for ebay scalpers I would be on my way to Wee Waa right now. So.. haha gently caress YOU WEE WAA!

Giorgio by Moroder is awesome!

Haha, me and my brothers have just arrived in narrabri to pick up our tickets. Check out this sweet lanyard and limited edition wee waa cd slip we got.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just The Facts posted:

I don't have iTunes, but I'm getting the impression the album is almost not electronic at all. This the case?

Aside from the last song (Contact), this is pretty much the case, yes. There's electronic drums on a few of the songs and vocoded vocals, but that's the extent of it.

Go into it preparing for a funk/soul/disco album and you'll like it a lot more.

HairyNipple! posted:

Haha, me and my brothers have just arrived in narrabri to pick up our tickets. Check out this sweet lanyard and limited edition wee waa cd slip we got.

Were the Wee Waa preparation videos posted here yet? I don't remember seeing them here. Pitchfork had an article up about them the other day. They're all hilarious. Farmers and schoolchildren and waterskiers wearing Daft Punk masks makes it look like Electroma, but it's real people in Australia. It's ridiculously awesome and put a huge smile on my face when I first saw 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJODSUA8Gc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H4ARPgp2JA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEWZyoZEuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENagiAZRWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHFKSo0Zjrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYbzvtYWoA

The town is flipping the gently caress out over it :D

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 17, 2013

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aside from the last song (Contact), this is pretty much the case, yes. There's electronic drums on a few of the songs and vocoded vocals, but that's the extent of it.

Go into it preparing for a funk/soul/disco album and you'll like it a lot more.

drat, I was only into DP a little bit until Alive came out, that blew me away.

I guess I'll wait on this one for a bit.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think Game of Love is pretty easily one of the best songs on the album. Can someone explain why I'm wrong? I think people don't like it because it's corny, but it invokes real emotion in me. Is it possible that I am a robot? I feel this robot's pain deep.

edit: It does kind of remind me of Phil Collins. Do you think Daft Punk listens to Phil Collins? Am I alone here?

SIDENOTE.... a lot of people are being critical of the lyrics on this album. But I will say, at least they stay on theme for the most part, there is a lot about memories on here.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 17, 2013

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Why did Touch have to go into ragtime? And whoever's singing does a poor job as a Broadway singer as well. It would have been so much better without both. Keep the part, ditch the Joplin.

Can't decide whether the Casablancas track or Motherboard is the best. As a whole, I must say it's a very hard album to just let play. Very segmented.

And I think I may be the first one to post this, but the perfect production seems a bit hypocritical. Yes, it sounds good, but I always like a livelier, airier, realistic mix. This is just too fine-tuned and robotic and perfect, which seems antithetical to their idea.

Better than most records out, though.

Just my $.02.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
I feel like Daft Punk's entire career post-Homework is performance art in itself. Discovery was, as they have stated in interviews, based around the idea of imitating music that they heard as children. Human After All was the adolescent attempt to make something original and "edgy" but ended up being derivative in its own right, as many such projects are. Now they are supposed to be mature, with fully developed tastes and a retinue of influences from which to draw with discretion, but they ended up merely rehashing the cheekiness that made Discovery very enjoyable in a wholly unsuitable context. The image and the getup drags this album down. The cheese-of-all-cheese lyrics, the ridiculous production, the huge array of talent are all self-defeating.

I love me some Kraftwerk, and I recognize that not many bands can make five near-perfect albums back-to-back, but I think that Daft Punk could take a couple lessons from them. Their dedication to minimalism in their heyday was matched with a great musical flexibility and variety across their discography. Homework and HAA shared many elements of the former, Discovery and RAM with the latter. Some fusion of the two, where we wouldn't have to pick between direction and detail, could possibly bring their music to the next level. This album seems more of a regression, the inevitable product of having too many resources, too much time and too much space to work in, falling back on a vague and kitschy "vision" when called into question. This is probably the story sung of many bands who outlive their initial fame.

The whole hype surrounding this album was silly to begin with. When did everyone suddenly start caring about two Frenchmen who dress up as robots and make computer music? The whole thing reeks of a marketing ploy.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think that my overall feeling so far (which was overhyped, for sure) is that I was expecting more Chic and dancable funk and disco and instead I got progressive 60's lounge. I was hoping for an equal mix of Get Luckies and Game of Loves, but instead I got the forgotten tracks of Rick Wakeman. I can't see myself making the needle raw with this one. It's ambitious, has excellent sound quality, is well made, and is incredibly forgettable.

Pretty disappointing, overall. Daft Punk forgot that they used to make house music.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Cameron posted:

Pretty disappointing, overall. Daft Punk forgot that they used to make house music.

I can feel this, because there is nothing like the house jams DP used to make. But I feel the sooner people stop expecting a House album and accept this album for what it is, the sooner they can actually enjoy this album for what it is; an experimental prog-disco-rock record by your favorite House artists, not a house record. Though if what people are saying is true, it will probably be made into a bunch of house songs.

Also interesting in the lyrics, it turns out Instant Crush is a direct response to Within.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Justice's last album was all killer and no filler prog-dance whatever. RAM needs to be about 20 minutes shorter (or maybe more). Instant Crush is good, Get Lucky is good, Game of Love is good, and the rest? I dunno.

At least Access All Arenas was great and probably overlooked because of RAM. v:shobon:v

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cameron posted:

Justice's last album was all killer and no filler prog-dance whatever.

I agree with you but there were a whole lot of people bitching about Audio Video Disco being a boring mess when it came out.

Either way, I don't think "Daft Punk forgot they were a house band" is a fair complaint. Calling it boring or derivative or emotionless or whatever else, fine, but I don't think a band going in a different direction is an inherently bad thing. If the album's bad (and though I don't think it is I can understand the arguments) it's because of its quality, not its genre.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Why do people keep calling this a disco/funk album when outside of a few songs that could be interpreted as rather tame disco it sounds more like a boring soft rock album than anything else?

edit: I guess this is a rhetorical question cause I'm pretty sure the answer is "they don't have any knowledge of those genres other than vague understanding that they're from the 70s and this album is full of cheesy 70s signifiers"

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 17, 2013

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I am so cool because I hate this. If anyone likes Discovery but not this then it doesn't make any sense, they are just not liking this to be cool (so far I think it is stronger overall than Discovery). At worst it is disappointing. Kind of weird to criticize it for being derivative since it is Daft Punk and being derivative is their raison d'être‎. (And the album is called Random Access Memories for gently caress sake).

I love the strong production values, fantastic to listen to on good equipment, and there are really amazing tracks there. It also seems to make more sense in the context of current French electro, I wouldn't have been surprised if you told me this was a Sebastien Tellier album, well a little considering all the Daft Punk touches and vocoder. The only thing I worry is all the vocoder will probably make me get sick of the album quickly, which I do for most songs with lots of vocoder.

It really sounds like robots made an album using actual instruments and after kidnapping a bunch of random singers from around the world.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

There are quite some people saying weird things in this thread, like Homework not being that important. It might be that I'm from Europe, but Homework had a huge impact on dance music in the late 90s and when Discovery came out, most people really hated it because it was so cheesy and not acid/techno enough. I remember seeing One More Time on MTV the first time, thinking it was the new Eifel 65 song and being utterly amazed it was actually Daft Punk. I now enjoy Discovery quite a bit, but Homework will forever be the only real Daft Punk record for me.

Either way, I bumped into this and thought it was pretty apt.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Just finished listening to the album at the wee was release, and gently caress all y'all, this album is fantastic. Sure, there was an hour long encore that added to the experience, but the album itself was fun as gently caress. Get your heads out of your asses and dance. Jesus.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
What'd they fill the encore with?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
So everyone is going to be in love with this album 2 years down the road, right? Isn't that how it goes?

Illavick posted:

Oi. I so want to like this album but I really can't. I'd be in complete denial if I said it was great or anywhere on par with their other work. Listen to this mixed with tracks from Discovery or Human After All and it's evident. I blame the whole 70s influence crap that we were hammered with during the whole 'contributors' thing. It's not a great sound. It never was a great sound. I should have known something was up when Donna Summers kept being brought up as mind blowing. I mean Donna loving Summers? What the loving gently caress? The only excuse for liking that poo poo is being high as gently caress on coke and having recently liberated your homosexuality.

I just.. I dunno. I'm a sad panda.

You do know that "I Feel Love" by Summers and Moroder is perhaps the most influential and forward-looking dance tune ever made, correct?

We need to stop these kinds of reviews - "cliche, cliche, cliche...this kind of music always sucked and if you thought otherwise you were probably on drugs! cliche...cliche"

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 17, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AwwJeah posted:

Do you live on a planet where RAM isn't the most anticipated and (arguably) most significant release world-wide for the music industry in the summer of 2013?

I guess I do. I think you need to gain some perspective.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I stand by the remark I was called out for, our radio dance hits and poo poo I heard in da club is no good. Could be the pnw's clubs and radio but that's my take. I'm aware the whole scene is something different but that's not what I was talking about.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I'm finding it really hard to have a strong discussion about this with people because I tell them I don't like it and I get poo poo like this:

quote:

The new Daft Punk is like a glass of fine wine where a lot of people were expecting a Red Bull-Vodka.

... Really? And Twitter is littered with poo poo like this. Anyway, I wrote an essay on why I don't like it, and I talk a lot about disco so don't read it Illavick or you may turn into a cokehomo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The Fresh Prince posted:

You listen to all of the Chic stuff right?

More lately, I've been tracking down a lot of the collab people's stuff that I didn't know about, I knew more of Niles stuff than most of the others.

tentril
May 9, 2012

dj bobby bieber posted:

I'm finding it really hard to have a strong discussion about this with people because I tell them I don't like it and I get poo poo like this:

I'm finding it really hilarious to read this thread for that exact reason.
"Best album ever! It will change music from now on!"
"Anyone who enjoyed any of this album has never heard a real instrument before obviously."

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

okkie posted:

Either way, I bumped into this and thought it was pretty apt.
Holy poo poo, that's great. I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought "...Mario?" when those strings started in Beyond.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Big thanks to whoever said Game of Love sounds like Sade. I will never be able to unhear it now.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

All the songs are responses to each other. The album's a continuing story about finding love after having lost it with space age undertones. Still cheesy, of course, but cheese is delicious. I don't think this album is great dance music, but I think a lot of it's pretty awesome driving music.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I stand by the remark I was called out for, our radio dance hits and poo poo I heard in da club is no good. Could be the pnw's clubs and radio but that's my take. I'm aware the whole scene is something different but that's not what I was talking about.

I don't want to turn this into Seattle Club Chat, but what are you talking about? Are you hanging out in pioneer square or something? We have ETG which usually has one or two great local house DJs per week, we have soul night at the Lo-Fi and the Chop-Suey biweekly, we have Decibel Festival which has gone from an amazing semi-annual festival where I saw my personal heroes Carl Craig and Kevin Saunderson as well as Jam City to a year-round celebration of electronic music. Bok Bok played two weeks ago and he was amazing! And then Neighbors and R Place are great for the kind of big studio disco that people are ragging on in this thread and the piano house that was inspired by it. Really just Trinity and Last Supper Club and poo poo in Belltown play gross Wub Wub garbage and overcompressed top 40 with lazy 4 on the floor edits.

I know this is a derail but I can't abide having Seattle's dance culture ragged on like that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dadjacket posted:

I don't want to turn this into Seattle Club Chat, but what are you talking about? Are you hanging out in pioneer square or something? We have ETG which usually has one or two great local house DJs per week, we have soul night at the Lo-Fi and the Chop-Suey biweekly, we have Decibel Festival which has gone from an amazing semi-annual festival where I saw my personal heroes Carl Craig and Kevin Saunderson as well as Jam City to a year-round celebration of electronic music. Bok Bok played two weeks ago and he was amazing! And then Neighbors and R Place are great for the kind of big studio disco that people are ragging on in this thread and the piano house that was inspired by it. Really just Trinity and Last Supper Club and poo poo in Belltown play gross Wub Wub garbage and overcompressed top 40 with lazy 4 on the floor edits.

I know this is a derail but I can't abide having Seattle's dance culture ragged on like that.

I forgot about R place, which I enjoyed a lot more than everywhere else I've been. The conversation I was having was about the electronica making it's way into our major MAJOR pop music and very generalized clubs like the last ones you mentioned. I know when you seek it out you'll be able to find a good scene in most major metros, I'm talking about what most people who are going to clubs who aren't looking for a particular brand of music are going to run into.

I had never heard about ETG, might have to drag someone out there soon.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Was discussing RAM with a co-worker today and I said that I don't think they are very good at writing songs (in the sense of like... pop songs, not orchestral composition [which I also think they are not so great at]) and got told that I "know nothing about music." :shrug:

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
Maybe their next one will be a 130+ BPM techno record? That would be dope.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
gently caress the haters, this is a great album. It's no Discovery but nothing will be. I was distinctly underwhelmed with it up until Lose Yourself to Dance (seconding whoever said Giorgio speaking in the middle of the album was a bad idea) but once the layered vocals started up it was good times from there. And Contact. Holy poo poo, what an ending. I've never felt like I was going to come from music before but I guess there's a first time for everything.

I can't wait to hear this get remixed with the older stuff, there's a lot of potential to spice up the underwhelming tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hobelhouse posted:

gently caress the haters, this is a great album. It's no Discovery but nothing will be. I was distinctly underwhelmed with it up until Lose Yourself to Dance (seconding whoever said Giorgio speaking in the middle of the album was a bad idea)

This is a great album... If you start in the middle and ignore XYZ. Great point.

• Locked thread