Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Somebody decided textured spackle spraypaint was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I remember when that was the hot poo poo for painting your ICE install like all the cool Max Power-reading kids :allears:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

There is, but it applies to parking the roadside, not in a marked parking bay.

It's one of those things that almost never gets applied, i.e. it's in the big book of Someone's Being A Twat And You're drat Well Going To Find Something To Nick Them For.

Some places use that for massive ticket profit. St. Catharines in Ontario is notorious for wrong way parking infractions.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Some places use that for massive ticket profit. St. Catharines in Ontario is notorious for wrong way parking infractions.

Or everywhere in Australia where the govt abuses police as tax collectors. In my area of ~3000 people, they have at least 3 cars and I'm not sure how many 4x4s or actual police. The cars are constantly being used either in roadblocks at the ends of town or to tail people along the residential streets. It's lucky it's a relatively low crime area because I'm not sure how much actual policing is actually done. Nothing seems to have come of catching the person / people that destroyed the main street or the ones that repeatedly break into and loot the primary school. I guess this town is just large enough that people like that don't go missing like in rural areas. No local forests.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

SaNChEzZ posted:

I might be wrong, but that kinda looks like the paint body guys will use to find low/high spots in bondo after filling a dent. Also, given the left side looks like a chunk of bondo that has flaked off, it could be that its someone doing backyard body work on their MB and havent finished it yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Octopus Magic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiaqkRdc8B8

Nagano Koubou's USDM style S13 Silvia!

It's like taking everything bad about zilvia and making it even more retarded. THANKS A LOT OBAMA.

"I've built it USDM style." Proper translation: "I 21st-century-riced this poo poo the gently caress out."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

More here. http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/34899.html

Part of me is scared.

Another part of me wants to ship these guys a seacan full of rusted out muscle cars and put their skills to good use.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 16, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

enojy posted:

"I've built it USDM style." Proper translation: "I 21st-century-riced this poo poo the gently caress out."

It's totally meta.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

SaNChEzZ posted:

They should use that as the new camo cover for testing prototypes.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MetaJew posted:

The license plate frame mounts to the tow hook location so that you don't have to drill the bumper.
When picking up an FR-S this morning, the dealer offered exactly this option. I'm probably going to just drill the bumper whenever the plates come; that off-center look is a bit odd to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

When picking up an FR-S this morning, the dealer offered exactly this option. I'm probably going to just drill the bumper whenever the plates come; that off-center look is a bit odd to me.
The dealer I bought from drills through the black grill, so it's not actually a big deal. Unfortunately, they had to trade with another dealer to get mine (I wanted blue) who drilled through the actual bumper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I thought long and hard about dropping my bumper off at the bodyshop that fixed my GLI after the wreck to have the stupid holes fixed in the bumper. gently caress front plates. I ended up just getting a 3m clear bra and you can't really see the holes unless you're right up on the car.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've never put my front plate on my car since my home state never required it. I haven't even put it on the dash and I've never been pulled over or asked about it. Is it illegal for dealers to let you go without putting it on?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

I've never put my front plate on my car since my home state never required it. I haven't even put it on the dash and I've never been pulled over or asked about it. Is it illegal for dealers to let you go without putting it on?

Pretty sure the dealers don't give a poo poo. The white GolfR I was drooling on when I had my Golf in for the 20k service had no front plate mounted yet and it was in the showroom. Pretty sure they drill it at the port.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JP Money posted:

It's not up to the dealer. They don't care if you get pulled over or not. What are they going to do, detain you until you put your plates on properly?

It depends on the law in the state that issued the plates. If they only give you one, you rock one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If the dealer is acting as the TTL agent and gets the plates themselves (and you don't have to go to the DMV) it makes sense to me that they'd need to enforce state law if it applies. I don't think a cop is going to believe "but the dealer didn't put them on!" as your excuse. The chances of all this happening are pretty slim either way; I'm just curious how the process works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think dealers don't really care, but depending on the dealer, they may put them on any car in their lot. For sure, the dealer I bought mine at has every car with a front plate holder already, so you don't have much choice if you buy from them unless you special order. They might make you sign something releasing them from any liability, however.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

EightBit posted:

The front of vehicles don't have poo poo for reflectors on them, at least in US market trim; the idea is that you are more likely to see the rear end better on your side of the road with the legally mandated rear reflectors than the front with significantly fewer mandated reflectors.

When you park in the direction you are driving you can easily see the road from your drivers seat without moving the car thus reducing the danger to overlook traffic. When you park against the driving direction your drivers seat is away from the road and you have to move most of your car onto the road to get a clear view of the road. Thats pretty dangerous. At least thats the best explanation i've heard.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Shai-Hulud posted:

When you park in the direction you are driving you can easily see the road from your drivers seat without moving the car thus reducing the danger to overlook traffic. When you park against the driving direction your drivers seat is away from the road and you have to move most of your car onto the road to get a clear view of the road. Thats pretty dangerous. At least thats the best explanation i've heard.

They're both pretty good, it's not like laws are documented as to why they are written.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought it was because you would momentarily be driving on the wrong side of the road in order to get into the spot in the first place.

Also it's illegal to reverse on city streets here unless it's for the purposes of parking. Deparking doesn't count, and I doubt it's OK to do a 180 into traffic.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

They're both pretty good, it's not like laws are documented as to why they are written.

You can almost guarantee that if a law is on the books, someone made money off of the decision though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

More here. http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/34899.html

Part of me is scared.

Another part of me wants to ship these guys a seacan full of rusted out muscle cars and put their skills to good use.

Wrong thread, those guys do proper repairs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VikingSkull posted:

Wrong thread, those guys do proper repairs.

I hope you're being sarcastic, I see they butt welded both A-pillars, both D pillars, and at least one C pillar. I didn't look any further.

The right hand dogleg butt weld I'll give em a pass on, that doesn't seem like much of an issue compared to the rest.

e: I have seen the results of someone doing that kind of repair up here in the northeast and it was every single one of their butt weld seams rotting through from the back because they didn't even try to re-paint the back of their work. Just left it wide open. They missed like a half dozen spotwelds they drilled out holding the inner wall of the cab B-pillar to the outer wall + cab back panel, too, so those were full of rust and just flapping around.

Oh, and they cut the right hand D pillar on the donor chassis even though they were using both the right hand rear quarter and the roof. Why? Should have just kept it in one piece...

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 16, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I'll take that back, I didn't actually go through and look at the full set of pictures. I just know we've had that discussion here on previous stuff they've done where people here were being unreasonable with repairs and assumed it wasn't as extensive as this particular one.

That being said, they are still miles ahead of some of the things I see in the States.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

VikingSkull posted:

That being said, they are still miles ahead of some of the things I see in the States.

Those things are scrapped in the States, for good reason.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

Those things are scrapped in the States, for good reason.

The gently caress they are, I work at an auto auction, I've seen cars way worse than that. My day to day job is writing condition reports, which is like being an insurance adjuster, and on Wednesdays I do the frame checks for our post sale inspection process. I look at the frames of 60-100 cars every Wednesday, plus a full on condition report for another 80 or so the rest of the week. We had one that was made up of three different cars once. Everything in front of the firewall was one car, and both C pillars and one of the B pillars off of another. Sectioning cars is a common practice here, though I probably see more of them due to my market being primarily the greater New York metro area.

Mostly they are scrapped, due to insurance reasons, but trust me, it's not always the case.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 17, 2013

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Isn't it a rebadged Mahindra? If so, it's body-on-frame, and I'm not getting why the repair was inappropriate?

As far as I know, butt welds shouldn't be weak in compression (i.e. another rollover, when it matters), or is the main concern with hardening at the weld or fatiguing of the base of the "B" pillar (where they bent it back) failing?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The steel involved in the unibody structure of a vehicle never retains the same strength that it leaves the factory with after being heated, and some of the placements of those welds are in areas where the heat does nasty things. It would be one thing if they used the donor vehicles entire pillars and spot welded them like you see from an untouched car, but those butt welds aren't the ideal way of repairing that particular damage. Though they get bonus points for using seam sealer on the affected areas. The metal fatigue you mention is also a concern, because even bending the metal back will cause friction heat that will damage the molecular behavior of the metal.

To the body-on-frame point, that's a touchy subject. For a long time, the ladder frame was considered the actual frame of a vehicle, while the pillar structure was not. This has been changing slowly, at least in regards to NAAA policy at our auctions, because although it's a two piece frame with the body bolting to frame rails, your pillars, floor and aprons form a safety cage nonetheless. Even the roof support rails under the roof skin is considered a structural piece on certain vehicles. A unibody structure is basically a tailor made roll cage like a race car has, and in a rollover those pillars are integral to occupant safety even though the ladder frame is not. Even in a side impact, almost all body-on-frame vehicles have the frame rails well inside the passenger area and the A, B, C and D pillars are responsible for protection.

I've seen body-on-frame vehicles have the ladder torn out from under them while the unibody structure had a nasty rollover, but the cage held up fairly well despite the total removal of the frame rails. The driver died, sadly, but that was because he was ejected out of the door due to not wearing a seat belt. It's possible he may have survived had he been wearing one.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 17, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If that thing rolls over and takes a heavy hit to the roofline diagonal to the ground (hint: in a rollover, it probably will) those pillars are going to snap at the butt welds and probably do unkind things to the people inside.

At least they did it at the top instead of, say, the middle of a B pillar. Do that, and being T-boned can put the sharp end of a previously butt welded pillar straight into your rib cage when it cracks off the part it was welded to and folds over.

Seam sealer won't really do much there - unless they also applied it to the inside of the member post-weld, which is extremely unlikely. By the time you've welded something, the metal is burnt completely free of all galvanization, e-coat, primer, and paint it may have once had on both sides, so it's a ripe target for rust in even mildly damp climates with no salt. I've seen rust start on welded sheetmetal after only a single heavy dew or a week or two of summer humidity. Combine that with the fact that it starts out weaker than the surrounding area and you are going to have rust coming back through within a few years, AND it will be much more dangerous than a proper repair or factory chassis in an accident. And since it will start from the hidden inside of whatever chassis member was repaired, you won't know until it starts bubbling the paint. Hell, you may not know till it breaks in half, because it's got 1/8" of seam sealer and bondo over it, so the bubbles don't even show.

I'm not much a stickler for stuff like rocker repairs, minor rust hole repairs, etc - those I can overlook some cut/shut, butt welding, etc because they don't have much effect on the overall structure. Something major like butt welding pillars and frame rails / entire sills back together? Hell with that, I like to stay alive.

If you're going to weld on your car, you absolutely need to recoat the backside of whatever you welded to. If it's not accessible, something like this works great: http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

Bonus: it costs $16 plus shipping once, but residue flushes out of the special applicator with a single burst of regular non-chlorinated brakleen (at least the kind with acetone in it.) And the whole nozzle assembly fits on basically any standard aerosol can, so you can use that applicator forever with whatever primers/paints you like (I'd probably go with rusto hammered or any rust converting primer/paint) as long as you remember to flush it out after every use. No excuse to not properly recoat welded areas from the inside when it costs that little.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 17, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just brought up the seam sealer because they get an A for effort, haha. A lot of the times I see just goobered welds with wire sticking out of the backside, those Russians at least have heard of the proper way of fixing the unibody structure of a car, even if they miss a ton of it in execution.

e- To touch on the friction heat thing I mentioned, an easy experiment to do is take a paper clip and straighten part of it out. Bend it back and forth a few times. First you'll start feeling heat and it will get easier to bend, after a few cycles of bending it the metal will simply snap. Obviously automotive quality steel works a bit differently than a paper clip, but it will give you the basic theory behind why even straightening bent structural steel compromises the rigidity of the structure.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 17, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not sure I understand all of that but it sure sounds like a lot of work for a truck that probably cost $5k new.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not sure I understand all of that but it sure sounds like a lot of work for a truck that probably cost $5k new.

I haven't watched this whole vid yet, but it seems pretty good so far.

A lecture about general estimating procedures involved in repairing cars correctly. Not frame specific, but it gives you a great insight about how complicated correct collision repair is. The days of shadetree mechanics are over.

Two things he stresses is that repair shops should get rid of torches because heat is bad, and that sectioning cars should never be done. That being said, all shops cut corners to varying degrees.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The dealer I bought from drills through the black grill, so it's not actually a big deal. Unfortunately, they had to trade with another dealer to get mine (I wanted blue) who drilled through the actual bumper.
Do you have a picture of that somewhere? Might do the same thing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

From PYF, wasn't sure with which thread. Went with this one because the person who posted it seemed to indicate this wasn't being tongue in cheek.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm pretty sure I drew that when I was 12.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Wolfsbane posted:

I'm pretty sure I drew that when I was 12.

It is lacking guns to be a true 12 year old's interpretation of the best car.

Dasco
Feb 22, 2013

dpack_1 posted:

It is lacking guns to be a true 12 year old's interpretation of the best car.

You mean those aren't guns on the hood? :confused:

Dasco fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 17, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Am I a bad person for wanting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Isn't that from that horrible Knight Rider remake?