Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Potooweet posted:

Whoa, lets not get carried away here.

TWOT pro points:

1) I don't feel viscerally grossed out reading it.

2) Its getting a drat ending.

TWOT con points:

1) Volumes about dress smoothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Shageletic posted:

TWOT pro points:

1) I don't feel viscerally grossed out reading it.

2) Its getting a drat ending.

TWOT con points:

1) Volumes about dress smoothing

It does have the weird whipping bondage stuff with the Aes Sedai. Still nowhere near as bad though.

Also I actually enjoyed the slower books in WOT more so then ADWD. Even the slow ones actually had good endings. Not lovely decades long cliffhangers.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Personperson14 posted:

Are the Wild Cards books that bad? Or does everyone hate them because GRRM likes editing them more then writing his own loving books. They do look pretty awful though.

Everyone hates them because GRRM likes editing them more than writing his own loving books, but they are also that bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah check out that thread about them. Like isn't there a guy who rapes, and that's his superpower or something?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cornwind Evil posted:

You know, people keep bringing up the whole 'Gurm has given up writing, he's going to just talk about football and creep on the actresses until he dies, then his notes will be burned and the planned ending will vanish into oblivion and we'll never have closure' thing, but considering how most people in this thread also think, at the same time, Gurm is completely unable to finish what he started in any way that's saitisfying, maybe this is a GOOD thing. Instead of a set canon ending that will probably just disappoint everyone, you're free to decide how it ended yourself. You want Mad Queen Dany reigning over the ashes? Well there's no set ending, so why the hell can't it end that way? You want the Starks to come back and crush everyone? Just as valid as the last one! You want the White Walkers to turn it into a kingdom of the dead and ice? Sure! Hodor on the Iron Throne? WHY NOT? Dany swimming across the Narrow Sea, pointing her butt at Westeros, and drowning the whole continent in poo poo? Hey, no set ending, yours is just as valid as whatever Gurm had planned. He didn't write it down, so it's open to the world now.

Ty? Is that you, Ty?

Aurubin posted:

And how did that end? Henry Tudor, barely related to anyone, seized power and killed everybody else. Not exactly romantic, but sensible. If we should ever receive an ending, it'll be something like that.

You didn't think that was worth spoiling, you loving monster?

Voodoo posted:

I wonder what will happen after next season (GoT: Season 4) and the show has essentially caught up to the books. In baby-thread-501 will people have to speculate only based off of TV information? Will book-based speculation be banned? These are all important questions.

I can think of a diabolical gurm plan. He could have made a deal with HBO that TWoW would be skipped over in the show to the last book, forcing the tviv types to buy the book (in effect forcing them to buy ALL of the books). Then everyone would be on the same page for the end of the series. Pun intended.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 16, 2013

speeds
Feb 24, 2012

Stupid Newbie

Junkenstein posted:

It's funny, cos when they finally reveal who he is, everyone will just wonder why it was built up as such a mystery for a whole loving season.

Everything about the Theon torture arc is odd. It feels like a serious misstep for the show.

Most people I speak to who watch the show don't even know who the Boltons are. I don't really imagine people being surprised about it. The surprise is suppose to be the appearance of Reek after Theon's long disappearance and I feel HBO is dropping the ball there however maybe I'm being to quick in judging.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Personperson14 posted:

Are the Wild Cards books that bad? Or does everyone hate them because GRRM likes editing them more then writing his own loving books. They do look pretty awful though.

Their siren song calls to me. If only that first book was't $7 for the KINDLE version. Seriously, $7? Are you kidding me?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

speeds posted:

Most people I speak to who watch the show don't even know who the Boltons are. I don't really imagine people being surprised about it. The surprise is suppose to be the appearance of Reek after Theon's long disappearance and I feel HBO is dropping the ball there however maybe I'm being to quick in judging.

They have really hosed up the Bolton plot line. I feel like they're a group that HBO is begging people to care about but nobody really does. The problem, I think, is they're using the Boltons to fill in for a bunch of different people and so they're just this group that serves whatever purpose is needed at the time. They're like stage-hands moving furniture on and off the stage: they appear when needed and then we forget what they look like when they're gone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Personperson14 posted:

There's a guy who gets mana from raping corpses. But also Gurm likes editing them more than finishing the goddamn books.

So really it's both.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

it's in the books

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Refused posted:

it's in the books

Hey, I've read Animorphs. She should get some gymnast-type clothing - problem solved.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

speeds posted:

Most people reading the books didn't know who the Boltons were until one of them killed Robb.

speeds
Feb 24, 2012

Stupid Newbie

Rarity posted:

Most people reading the books didn't know who the Boltons were until one of them killed Robb.

I feel like the Arya chapters made the name memorable. Have they even mentioned leeches in the show?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

tadashi posted:

They have really hosed up the Bolton plot line. I feel like they're a group that HBO is begging people to care about but nobody really does. The problem, I think, is they're using the Boltons to fill in for a bunch of different people and so they're just this group that serves whatever purpose is needed at the time. They're like stage-hands moving furniture on and off the stage: they appear when needed and then we forget what they look like when they're gone.
I don't want to be one of those people but I can't help but feel that HBO really hosed the dog this season, and I don't know if it was bad writing or just the impossibility of adapting books as expansive as what GRRM has given us (or if my reader bias is clouding everything).

Maybe because last season had everything building up to a big climax with the siege of King's Landing (+ Dany off doing her own thing as usual), whereas this season has no clear direction other than the meta knowledge that something big always happens in Episode 9 (and even the babby thread should know that a happy wedding at the Twins isn't gonna cut it). But all the plots are just meandering around, which works fine in a 400 page book with lots of description and inner monologue, but in the show it just seems sloppy.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 16, 2013

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

Plus calling someone the American/European/Asia ______________ is just stupid in it's own right.

Joey Chestnut, the American Kobayashi

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Clint Eastwood, the American Mifune Toshiro!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Darkstar, the Dornish Daario

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

...whereas this season has no clear direction other than the meta knowledge that something big always happens in Episode 9...

That's why AFFC should definitely get it's own season. Something weird happens in Episode 1, it's never addressed again until a post credits scene in Episode 10. Some kind of interesting stuff happens, but almost none of it is important. That'll knock the meta right out of them.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

rypakal posted:

I know I sometimes wish books 4 and 5 didn't exist, but the show won't be caught up until 7x01 at the earliest. Also, what ^^he^^ said.
I don't think they'll drag it out that long, based on how they're going this season.

Dany is already at Yunkai, and with the way the show is going, I don't think they'll drag out capturing Meereen in Season 4, and commanding Meereen in Season 5. That would be an amazing troll if they did though. Two seasons of Dany doing nothing except Daario? Sounds good to me. Arya will be all Valar Morgolis at the end of this season, so her training up through making her first hit is a good amount of story for one season. And Jon's final scene this season will be Ygritte dying in his arms, so becoming Lord Commander -> getting stabbed seems like it'd be worth one season. I really think we'll be getting into ADWD stuff by GoT: Season 4, and then season five will have glorious lemoncake-flavored bites of new information, and we'll be on the same page as the baby thread.

R+L=J will still be a bannable offense though, because books.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Voodoo posted:

I don't think they'll drag it out that long, based on how they're going this season.

Dany is already at Yunkai, and with the way the show is going, I don't think they'll drag out capturing Meereen in Season 4, and commanding Meereen in Season 5. That would be an amazing troll if they did though. Two seasons of Dany doing nothing except Daario? Sounds good to me. Arya will be all Valar Morgolis at the end of this season, so her training up through making her first hit is a good amount of story for one season. And Jon's final scene this season will be Ygritte dying in his arms, so becoming Lord Commander -> getting stabbed seems like it'd be worth one season. I really think we'll be getting into ADWD stuff by GoT: Season 4, and then season five will have glorious lemoncake-flavored bites of new information, and we'll be on the same page as the baby thread.

Arya is not ditching the hound at the end of this season. The Red Wedding is only the END of episode 9. SHe will gently caress off to braavos next season and probably at the end since the hound is a good actor on the show so they'll build more scenes for him and arya another stand out. Ygritte will be around next season. THey arent even attacking castle black this season. Jon will become lord commander at the END of season 4 at the earliest. They still have to attack castle black and then the wall with the wildling forces.

ADWD stuff by season 4? Are you high? ADWD stuff will be in Season 5 basically because they will take book 4 and 5 chronologically.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 16, 2013

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Jerkface posted:

ADWD stuff by season 4?

God willing and the creek don't rise. If they can cram enough AFFC/ADWD into next season, maybe HBO wraps up those beauties in season five. They could be writing ADOS in three years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Voodoo posted:

I have a feeling Books 4 and 5 will be adapted so the action happens in some sort of chronological order for the series. It's going to be an absurd challenge to get those on the screen without some sort of chaos.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

God willing and the creek don't rise. If they can cram enough AFFC/ADWD into next season, maybe HBO wraps up those beauties in season five. They could be writing ADOS in three years.

I have a feeling we'll see the last book come out within the same 12 months as the final season. I'm sure HBO is doing whatever they can to make sure GRRM gets that book written in time to close out the show in a reasonable number of years.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 16, 2013

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

It's been said over and over. They will finish the series even if he never finishes another book. They have the ending straight from the source. We're getting an ending, sooner or later, one way or another. I want to believe. :smith:

They're dumb if the lose the Hound this season. The character (and the actor, who does a great job) hasn't been fully developed yet and running around the Riverlands with Arya could easily keep her busy next season without going to Braavos.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

run DNC posted:

Pretty sure the Oilers have the worst fanbase. Everyone is perpetually convinced that next year they are going all the way.

edit: basically the Iron Islands I guess. Used to be hot poo poo now flailing around like idiots trying to reclaim glory

Godammit, late to the sportschat, beaten to the punch.

House Oylar: Hey, Maybe Next Year.

Also, this is a lot of bookchat. I propose the final Game of Bones book be the suggested (sexy, terrifying) CYOA. Which means we should get cracking.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Here's the organization post from January, let's get a-cracking that whip, ne?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=537#post411203964

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Someone give me their chapter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm keeping mine. It has [SEX] and apparently is about convincing a gay character to switch teams. It will be excruciating to write and impossible to read and is about as GRRMY as it gets.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

What the hell is wrong with you people? :stare:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

That's his outline which is not really a collaborative effort. Also editing didn't really happen last time but I guess that's par for the course for e-publishing.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

Ramsay was pretty memorable for killing Roderick, kidnapping Theon, and burning down Winterfell in ACoK. Roose was less-memorable but he was still there to take Harrenhal.

(Again, I still haven't watched anything past ep 7 of S2 so I don't know how the show handled either of those things).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TB Thread posted:

Demi feels a strange connection to her savior and performs oral sex on the ancient beast.

I need to buy GoB.

edit:

TB Thread posted:

Miri disrobes revealing her wombmanicle, a prehensile tentacle that resembles a toothless snake with a gaping mouth. Miri assures him that if he just puts it in like he would a human woman, she would do all the rest. Miri delivers the foreshadowing dialogue "You must learn to see with your real eyes."

CoK can't get here fast enough. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 17, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rarity posted:

Go look up the DSM-IV on Google. I'll wait.

All of that.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Go look up the DSM-IV on Google. I'll wait.

All of that.

DSM-V is next week! Party, wooooo!

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

nutranurse posted:

CoK can't get here fast enough. :allears:

My tummy tightens into a knot in anticipation.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The sexy vampires north of the barricade are legit the sexiest vampires ever.

Ladies and womb-men, gird thy loins.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
My chapters are already done just editing them. Quick question did Game of Bones sell like even one copy?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Undead Unicorn posted:

My chapters are already done just editing them. Quick question did Game of Bones sell like even one copy?

It's apparently sold enough for the authors to buy themselves one (1) beer that's not total piss!

Also the thread of geniuses is figuring out Bolton's about to betray Robb in a lethal fashion. I guess I'll have to turn to tumblr or youtube reactions to get my tears :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Also the thread of geniuses is figuring out Bolton's about to betray Robb in a lethal fashion. I guess I'll have to turn to tumblr or youtube reactions to get my tears :smith:

I haven't seen any such indications. Some think Roose is up to something but I don't think any of them specifically expect the RW yet.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

Ramsay was pretty memorable for killing Roderick, kidnapping Theon, and burning down Winterfell in ACoK. Roose was less-memorable but he was still there to take Harrenhal.

(Again, I still haven't watched anything past ep 7 of S2 so I don't know how the show handled either of those things).

Roose was always the better and more memorable character for me. While Ramsay had more shocking moments on his resume, Roose's characterization was much more flushed out and was built up from his very first appearance.

speeds posted:

Roose has been bland on the show due to Tywin getting all the second season Harrenhall action and Roose having to behave around Rob. Maybe he'll get to fly his freak flag after the Red Wedding/Ramsay reveal and there isn't the risk of his creepiness and ruthlessness making his future betrayal of the Starks too obvious on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In the books I think I got Manderly and Roose confused until the Red Wedding aftermath. I pictured a fat guy covered in leeches in the Harrenhal scenes, though I suppose that could have just been the brown-eyed crow allowing me to look on the other side of the pages to see the American Tolkien.