Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
God dammit royal gramma died. Just when I thought things were going better. No nitrate nitrite ammonia or phosphates, hardness is a little bit high but nothing crazy (13 drops), 440 calcium. All my corals are doing great, other fish seem fine. Tons of cyanobacteria everywhere, it's not bad for the tank is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Have you considered the possibility of outside contamination somehow?

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
I honestly don't really see how, I don't use cleaners or any chemicals around my room.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yes, I currently have 2 AC70 carbon pouches in the sump, as well as one of those chemical absorbing polypads. I might remove one of those carbons and put one in the overflow box to ensure the water cycles through it.

The only new thing that I added was another frogspawn, which is touching a hammer, maybe I'll move that and see what happens. The other hammers/frogs all get along in harmony. They didn't seem to be fighting at all, the new frogspawn is one of the things that's still inflating though, which I forgot above.

Also, one of the BTAs holed up next to a stalk of xenia which completely melted away, think that has to do with this at all?

Wait, did the Xenia melt at the onset of all this? Xenia crash could bomb a tank like you've been describing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Wait, did the Xenia melt at the onset of all this? Xenia crash could bomb a tank like you've been describing.

No, it's been about a month since the BTA destroyed it. It was only 2 stalks anyhow, the other 50 are totally enjoying whatever is going on. Just did another 15 gallon change.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I would like help identifying this little guy I found tonight. It is difficult to get a clean picture because the rock he hides in is a bit deep in my tank and a couple of my narcissus snails decided to pop out of the sand and were destined to photo bomb. I have no idea what that was about..haha.
This little creature does not move from the little hole but he does pop out and sorta scope the scene. I noticed it when I caught something speedy move in a place that I thought was pretty quiet. I should also mention this thing is very tiny, around 1/8" to 1/4" stretched out.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Some kind of peanut worm perhaps?

Also, tested copper and phosphate, zilch on both. :iiam:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 15, 2013

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Some kind of peanut worm perhaps?

Also, tested copper and phosphate, zilch on both. :iiam:

I'll agree to this. He doesn't look like anything harmful to me. Let him roll for now. There may be a lot of bad hitchikers you can get, but for the most part hitchikers are just really great detrivores and he looks like one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dono posted:

I'll agree to this. He doesn't look like anything harmful to me. Let him roll for now. There may be a lot of bad hitchikers you can get, but for the most part hitchikers are just really great detrivores and he looks like one.

Peanut worms are rad, I have a pretty big one that looks like a brown and black candy cane haha.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Thank you for the information. I can't believe how much thrill my tank provides me. I have a deep sand bed nano tank and have been slowly adding stuff since September. I haven't added anything for awhile so these discoveries are just downright fascinating.
Cheers to letting this little creature "roll" :3: I'm ecstatic about that because I somehow just love him already.

Sorry about your tank SaNChEzZ :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Warsteiner posted:

Thank you for the information. I can't believe how much thrill my tank provides me. I have a deep sand bed nano tank and have been slowly adding stuff since September. I haven't added anything for awhile so these discoveries are just downright fascinating.
Cheers to letting this little creature "roll" :3: I'm ecstatic about that because I somehow just love him already.

Sorry about your tank SaNChEzZ :(

It's just part of the hobby unfortunately :(

Lets see some pics of your tank!

Still looking kinda lovely, a bit better with some of the corals, slimer is still browning. Going to do more changes tonight.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 15, 2013

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
You're using LED's too aren't you Sanchezz? Pretty much everyone here is basically right?

I've got a Razor LED but I'm about to switch over to a Halide fixture I think. I'm just not getting the type of colors that I hoped I would. All parameters are on point and things are doing well and growing but I'm not happy with my colors. My red plating monti and some other pieces don't have the color I they should. I think I'm going to try an Aquamedic Halide/T5 combo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm using AI Vega(s) (Color variant, not Blue, and with 2 royals replaced with violets as is standard with the upgrade kits) now and so far I couldn't be more pleased.

That's with all light channels on equally (roughly 48% during that first picture) and no adjustments of the image beyond imgur wrecking it during the upload process.

I'm still not proud of the full tank shots on the main tank, it's suffered over the past year. I'll post some individual shots from that tank later, maybe today.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Welp, another clam is dead. That makes two.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

Welp, another clam is dead. That makes two.

That sucks man. Could anything have contaminated the water?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

That sucks man. Could anything have contaminated the water?

I have no freaking idea. I've tested everything that can be tested, as well as my RO. I've done 30 gallons of water changes, I've cleaned and inspected every piece of equipment, replaced the heater, cleaned overflows, dosed, not dosed, I'm going to change powerstrips next but I'm really strapped for ideas at this point.

This all started after the return line came off and I replaced the fitting, but it's plastic and I cleaned it well. At this point I'm semi considering replacing the sand and stuff but I don't want another cycle.

The thing that gets me is some things are fine and others aren't, see: clams, one sps and some of the softies.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah sorry man that poo poo must be really frustrating. If it were me I'd probably cut dosing and feeding and get a bare minimum of equipment going. If no improvement in a couple days maybe a massive water change, like 50% plus?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Has anyone tried any of the Zeovit additives? The product I'm looking at is this in particular:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_ZEOvit_Pohls_Xtra_Coral_Additives_Supplements-Korallen_Zucht-VX5377-FIADSACS-vi.html

Seems a little too good to be true but all reviews are positive across forums and whatnot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The only thing I'm dosing right now is alk+calc, and only enough to keep it stable. I've got the return, heater, skimmer going. Cut the MP10 off yesterday.

poo poo is frustratingggggggg! I'll do more WC tomorrow, LFS is closed wednesdays.

Also, that zeovite stuff is probably an amino acid mix, you could probably blend up something similar at your local nutritional supplement store if you could find the ingredients :) That being said, never used it, sorry!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Well it's been a few months, I got my 20high tank set up. I got a cleaner wrasse a month ago, and a flame angel saturday. While the angel was bag floating, the wrasse was checking him out but maybe an hour into it he hid. I let the angel out and figured the wrasse would grow up eventually.

He never really did. He'd come out when food was around, and sometimes I'd see him swimming around but for the most part he hid once the angel was in there. I never saw the angel do a goddamn thing to him, but I got home last night to find a hermit dogpile on what was left of him.

Cleaner wrasses shouldn't be scared of a little angel fish, to the point that he'd starve to death, should they? :wtf:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's possible that the cleaner wrasse has been starving the entire time. They tend to die a month into purchase due to not getting "enough" food. These guys eat a LOT and are comparable to mandarins and such dragonets in terms of feeding need.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
He certainly didn't want for food. Mysis shrimp every day or two and I'd stop when he did. Once I got the angel I was putting in the spirulina/algae/brine shrimp combo we've all seen, and he was eating that up too.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I will post some pictures of my tank. Prepare to be impressed :c00l:
Nah, it is pretty minimal because I am adding stuff slowly. I can't post pictures immediately because my tank and I are recovering from mass genocide (in my head). I moved some GSP to a different rock. I found 2 new kinds of worms and some little copepods that were really attached to this piece of tile. I highly suspect I killed at least 10 copepods and a couple other little guys I couldn't really see. I really hated this piece of tile though. I was then adding water to my tank when my hand slipped and a rush of water disturbed the sand bed. The water is pretty clear now but after moving a couple small rocks, removing that stupid tile and the water rush, my corals are in half way retracted. or whatever that's called.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Warsteiner posted:

I will post some pictures of my tank. Prepare to be impressed :c00l:
Nah, it is pretty minimal because I am adding stuff slowly. I can't post pictures immediately because my tank and I are recovering from mass genocide (in my head). I moved some GSP to a different rock. I found 2 new kinds of worms and some little copepods that were really attached to this piece of tile. I highly suspect I killed at least 10 copepods and a couple other little guys I couldn't really see. I really hated this piece of tile though. I was then adding water to my tank when my hand slipped and a rush of water disturbed the sand bed. The water is pretty clear now but after moving a couple small rocks, removing that stupid tile and the water rush, my corals are in half way retracted. or whatever that's called.

Killed ten copepods :shobon:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
More likely amphipods. Pulling a single rock would probably kill hundreds (or magnitudes more) of copes.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Warsteiner, I dig your enthusiasm.

Selling my Kessil a150w if anyone is interested.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Folks with LEDs - what percentage/ratio are you running your colors? What did you start at and what did you end up with?

I am upgrading from a very old Luxeon system that only had 12 royal blue and 6 neutral white and had the old maximums at 100% and 50% respectively as it produced a decent balance of white and blue.

The PAR was a little low the last couple months due to some fogged optics (super glue stupidity) and burned-out diodes, so that prompted an upgrade to a new Cree setup with 16 RB, 8 NW, 4 OCW and 6 UV. I am thinking of starting with 40, 20, 20, 20% on the new setup and am wondering what other people use long-term.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Wandering Orange posted:

Folks with LEDs - what percentage/ratio are you running your colors? What did you start at and what did you end up with?

I am upgrading from a very old Luxeon system that only had 12 royal blue and 6 neutral white and had the old maximums at 100% and 50% respectively as it produced a decent balance of white and blue.

The PAR was a little low the last couple months due to some fogged optics (super glue stupidity) and burned-out diodes, so that prompted an upgrade to a new Cree setup with 16 RB, 8 NW, 4 OCW and 6 UV. I am thinking of starting with 40, 20, 20, 20% on the new setup and am wondering what other people use long-term.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_Razor_R420R_LED_Light_Fixture_36_Inch_LED_Light_Fixtures-Maxspect-0M1131-FILTFILDTS-vi.html

That is the light I have and when I first got it, I had it turned up waaaaay too high for several weeks. I think it was running around 75% whites/100% blues and I lost a lot of color. The LED was bleaching poo poo out and so I dialed it way back. For the past several months I've been hitting a max of 55% whites/80% blues and I got most of the color I lost back. My colors are still not where I want them to be but I think that is more chemistry related in my case.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
Back in the hobby after a year off. Would a Tunze Nano Osmolatorbe appropriate for a 12x12x12 7.5 gallon cube? This would be for a nano reef with no sump.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Back in the hobby after a year off. Would a Tunze Nano Osmolatorbe appropriate for a 12x12x12 7.5 gallon cube? This would be for a nano reef with no sump.

I wouldn't bother with a skimmer for a tank that size. Just do regular water changes.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Ordered some filter replacements from BRS only to find out that while I haven't received them yet, UPS "Delivered" them to my "Front Door" on Wednesday. Never had an issue before, ugh.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Yeah that would work. Salinity will fluctuate easily in a tank that small so that osmolator nano will help.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

If you have a back chamber with a return pump on that cube then you could do this...

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Wandering Orange posted:

I started with a 48 led aquastyle kit, half NW and half RB. Since then its changed to
24 RB
12NW
9 430nm
6 405nm
5 OCW
Still screwing around with levels, the OCWs are constantly 100% but other then that everything else is adjustable

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tank is looking better today, got polyp extension on the angry SPS although not full, and everything else seems to be looking a bit happier.

Going to continue the water changes and keep my fingers crossed.

RIP Clams

:smith:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Checked for polyclads or anything?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

Checked for polyclads or anything?

Yeah, whatever happened with the chemistry or whatever killed them for sure. The other one is looking alright.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Coming clean: I had (maybe still have, idk) a polyclad flatworm in my 20gal (one of those green ones with white polkadots). I've never had a clam in that tank. It ate a good number of snails including a chiton but it stayed well out of the light and I was only sure what I was looking at when I saw it eat the chiton.

Haven't seen it in a good while.

e: pretty much this dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1lWaso4Bc

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

Coming clean: I had (maybe still have, idk) a polyclad flatworm in my 20gal (one of those green ones with white polkadots). I've never had a clam in that tank. It ate a good number of snails including a chiton but it stayed well out of the light and I was only sure what I was looking at when I saw it eat the chiton.

Haven't seen it in a good while.

e: pretty much this dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1lWaso4Bc

I'd love to have a species tank full of polyclads and just feed them clams from the market, that'd be rad as hell. Also, I'm super happy the tank is bouncing back. The acans look toasted, but there's still flesh, so they're staying in the tank haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
It feels so good to start a new tank after a long break. First one was a 75g FOWLR now I want to go nano reef. Here are the plans for equipment so far.

12x12x12 7.5g rimless cube
Ecoxotic pico LED arm with two white/blue and one blue strip.
AC30 W/media removed

Some pictures!

Was thinking about getting the nano osmolator but I will probably get it. Has anyone ever used pure water club RO/DI? http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=270

Seems like a good deal since I am only getting RO/DI for a nano tank. Planning on keeping just soft corals.

• Locked thread