Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh sweet, night vision goggles! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Claymores are a must for all boss fights. The big ol' Amphibian in front of the church doesn't fold to mines right away, but they'll usually stun it and let you unload into it. The Big Momma literally dies in one second to three mines laid out in a line for her to run into. The Bear will be stunned and a little buckshot will pacify it and reveal the weak spot right kindly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, I guess I'll need to get this, since I loved 2033. Whoever designed the Librarian level did some drat fine work for making a survival horror FPS make me feel well and truly humbled by the enemies nearby.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I absolutely love when there's so much blood on my gas mask that I can barely see, before I remember to wipe it off by pressing G. It's little details like that that make me adore this game.

edit: Jesus, more nudity :stonk: I was kind of put off by the first time I saw it, in the brothel when you're going after your buddy who betrayed you. I've never played a game with nudity that graphic and almost realistic looking in any game outside of Duke Nukem Forever. Jesus, why isn't this rated AO because of that? Why were people getting all up in arms several years back about San Andreas' Hot Coffee mod if you can just throw realistically modeled titties in your game now willy nilly?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 17, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Just beat Metro and it's the world's best E.T. game also I had like 600 military rounds near the end??

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I absolutely love when there's so much blood on my gas mask that I can barely see, before I remember to wipe it off by pressing G. It's little details like that that make me adore this game.

edit: Jesus, more nudity :stonk: I was kind of put off by the first time I saw it, in the brothel when you're going after your buddy who betrayed you. I've never seen nudity that graphic and almost realistic looking in any game outside of Duke Nukem Forever. Jesus, why isn't this rated AO because of that? Why were people getting all up in arms several years back about San Andreas' Hot Coffee mod if you can just throw realistically modeled titties in your game now willy nilly?

Because it was GTA dude. You need to remember that people were trying to get GTA banned for years. That was the focal point of an attempt to censor and stifle an entire industry in the same way that people were trying to ban metal or rap in the 80s.

Also, the Witcher 2 had more realistic full front nudity

Sputty fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 17, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Oh sweet, night vision goggles! :getin:

Where do you find those?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

keyframe posted:

Where do you find those?

In the swamp at night after you get off the ferry they're in the house that's nearby. Another pair is a bit after that but I can't remember when exactly.

They're not that good really so they're not "must have" like 2033.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

What am I supposed to do after I put gas in the swamp ferry thing? I keep getting swamped (haha) by mutants. Is there a boat coming?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Just got past one of the boss fights, and I had no ammo going into it so I grabbed a shotgun loaded with ammo off of a dead enemy and defeated the boss with that. Holy poo poo, is this a quad barreled shotgun?! I hadn't used this gun until now :swoon:

Quad Barrel Shotgun is easily my favorite weapon in the game. Unloading four simultaneous shotgun blasts obliterates basically anything less then a boss in a single go.

Also apparently enemies in the game have greater health in combat then when you hit them unawares, ostensibly due to their adrenaline being up during battle. In combat nosalis' take 2-3 shotgun shells, but I was one-hitting them with throwing knives to the head when they didn't know I was there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What the hell is up with this dude teleporting me through water? Is it just whacky radiation induced hallucinations or something?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What the hell is up with this dude teleporting me through water? Is it just whacky radiation induced hallucinations or something?

The Metro-verse has supernatural/mystical elements that are unexplained.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Argas posted:

Also, one time I walked in front of Khan and he freaked out and slid his way past me so if it was a bug then that was probably a scripting thing.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Argh, the patch fixed a lot of issues (still crashes when I launch in DX9, but now DX11 isn't all laggy anymore, and I can play without getting nauseous), but I can't adjust the gamma in the game. r_gamma in user.cfg always resets to 0.5 if I don't set to read-only, changing it in the game doesn't seem to change the brightness at all, and after changing the value, saving, and going back to the adjustment screen, it's back to 0.5. This is a real problem right now, because the darkest symbol on the adjustment screen is completely invisible, and I just had a hell of a time trying to navigate through the whole part after being given up by Pavel and escaping, even after I had already killed everyone and it was completely safe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, the baby Dark One put clothes on! :neckbeard:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Argas posted:

This is one of the most interesting things about the universe to me. I've played both games and haven't read the books, so I just spent an hour or so pouring over articles in the wiki. There's some legitimately interesting stuff that the games never even hint toward like weird cults and the maybe or maybe not existence of a technological powerhouse in an isolated group of stations under Moscow State University.

The supernatural stuff is probably the most intriguing, though. It's so weird, and I love that it doesn't get a solid explanation. The only lip-service that it gets sounds like the mysticism of a shaman.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
Beat the game, enjoyed it, but I have some questions/issues:

1) My graphics card (GeForce 8800 GT, so not new) is freaking the gently caress out - smoke creates a lot of ugly-rear end artifacts. I updated my drivers and - nope, still there. It's kinda funny, though - the game includes so many interface screws that half the time I can't tell if it's supposed to happen, or if it's just my video card acting up.
How do I fix this?

2) How on earth am I supposed to get the good ending? I did all the "good" things I could think of, including sparing Pavel . I wasn't perfectly stealthy, but I at least tried and went for knockouts every time instead of kills. I also tried to listen to conversations and explore side areas for moral points. But no dice, Artyom go boom.

3) I pre-ordered the game, but can't for the life of me find the AKSU I'm supposed to get. OK, I don't really care that much about the gun, but surely it should be in there somewhere.

4) Not a question, just an observation - Ana is creepy as gently caress, especially in the sex scene. Do not stick it in the crazy, Artyom!

Thanks.

Gravel
Mar 11, 2013
Gravel is a delicious food for people.

keyframe posted:

Swamp level fight question: how do I beat this loving thing in front of the church entrance? I am running out of ammo and it is still standing

I didn't have a shotgun for this. It took almost all of my ammo (down to two bullets. Total.), but the trick was to aim way lower than I was.

That fight ruled, I love that I cut it so close.

Also, zero issues with filters so far. Not trying to sound smug because I've totally had issues in games where I just couldn't figure out where the hell to go, but they're eeeeeeeverywhere near the church.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
You'd think the enemies would have a little cache of loot in their camps, some ammo or meds, something stashed up somewhere. But, nope.

That's how hopeless this place is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How did the kid disguise himself as a human? Was he pulling some Jedi mind tricks or do they just have really convincing costumes sitting around in the post apocalypse?

Edit: Goddamn this game crashes the Xbox like crazy. I can't even get my current save to load without a crash and it must have frozen on me over a dozen times now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 17, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is feeling more and more like STALKER as I go along, with the likes of the bridge level on the surface and now the indoor areas I'm in, fighting my way into Polis. This is a very, very good thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I just bumped the difficulty down to normal for that fight because it was killing my immersion buzz and just getting on my nerves. This game really has no reason to have these occasional big bullet sponge bosses.

Those weren't great, but the only really lovely part I thought was the very end, where you fight the tank at D6. I had to google how to kill it, its something you do nowhere else in the game and have no indication you're supposed to do; the compass leads you to think you're supposed to head to another area.

e: Well that and the part with the church where the game forgot to spawn the enemy you're supposed to actually kill, but a reload fixed that.

Having just finished it, it was a good game, especially after they fixed it so runs better on AMD cards, but it felt way too easy, the damage sponge enemies weren't great, and the endings didn't feel as impactful as 2033. It felt like we had another level or two to go, and by the end, I was full up on almost all ammo types, had an hour of filters left, and 80 military grade bullets. In 2033 I had seconds left on a few filters, and a handful of bullets I didn't use at the end, and it felt more like I barely scraped by.

quote:

The only lip-service that it gets sounds like the mysticism of a shaman.

Off the top of my head, the book gives the following options for what's happening: You're insane from living your entire life in a lovely pitch-black tunnel, you're inhaling some sort of gas, humanity destroyed not only Earth but Heaven and Hell, psychic phenomena, humanity broke the laws of physics, some sort of pre-war super science, demons. A large part of the books is just Artyom wandering the metro with various companions, each with a different take on things.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 17, 2013

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think Artyom might suffer from some mental issues due to some traumatic event in his past. It would explain why he seems to fall over or drop things constantly the second he isn't paying attention to what he is doing. Also I don't think he ever talked to a girl before. "Why is this girl being so mean to me? She keeps making jokes about how lame I am I don't get it!" *slips on banana peels and falls down Springfield Gorge*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pwnstar posted:

I think Artyom might suffer from some mental issues due to some traumatic event in his past. It would explain why he seems to fall over or drop things constantly the second he isn't paying attention to what he is doing. Also I don't think he ever talked to a girl before. "Why is this girl being so mean to me? She keeps making jokes about how lame I am I don't get it!" *slips on banana peels and falls down Springfield Gorge*

In the first one he was basically a kid who was just fulfilling a promise to a friend. After proving that he was a bad rear end with talent in the first game, he's officially recruited as a Ranger and given all the spiffy new training that Hunter had.

And he's still a goober.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

People who are having trouble with running low on filters, look for graffiti of gas-masks, those indicate Ranger filter stashes. Also, only sprint when you absolutely have to, sprinting causes Artyom to breath harder which in turn causes him to use the filter up faster; this also applies when Artyom is panicking from seeing anomalies or getting pounded on by mutants.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

God, gently caress these lazy rear end "hit this switch and defend!" segments. I hate them so much. It's even worse considering half of the ones I've had so far seem to involve nosalises which means having to hurry and find a shotgun because they're whirling dervishes with far too much HP.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Those weren't great, but the only really lovely part I thought was the very end, where you fight the tank at D6. I had to google how to kill it, its something you do nowhere else in the game and have no indication you're supposed to do; the compass leads you to think you're supposed to head to another area.

Actually the game seems pretty good on "normal" at showing you what to do, but it doesn't actually say anything about the fact that it's showing you. So the indicators are pretty "the hell?" unless you're looking for it. In a boss fight the color Red=Shoot it. Will save you much trouble on the "How the hell do you kill this thing?" bosses that'll just let you run out of ammo before ending.

Also I can kind of see what they were doing with Ana. They wanted her to get knocked up for the "bad" ending (which is really not bad honestly), BUT they didn't give her enough screen time and she just ends up falling into being just the Tsundere archtype (although she isn't shy about what she's got up top).

And have it NOT be in a "cell" who's walls are see thru plastic, with a kid in the next one over. Given the situation and the overall environment they're in, it'd probably be REALLY easy to find a quiet spot in the tunnels and get it on.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Man this game really scratched that STALKER itch. I'm really sad that there probably won't be another of that series because drat the post apocalyptic nuclear creepiness is something these studios do well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat the game. Wait, did it seriously just end by having Artyom detonate a bomb to destroy his enemies but take himself out along with them? Because that makes the events of the game seem like kind of a waste of time :psyboom:

Or is this like 2033 and there's a good ending and a bad ending and I just got the bad one? If so, what's the good one then? What choice did I make in the game to get the ending I got?

edit: I'm watching the endings on YouTube and apparently I got the bad one. Still not sure how. The good one seems better and more fitting with the story. But isn't the bad ending from 2033 the one that set in motion the events of Last Light?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 17, 2013

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

How did the kid disguise himself as a human? Was he pulling some Jedi mind tricks or do they just have really convincing costumes sitting around in the post apocalypse?

Kid's a dark one, not sure if you've read the book or played the first game but they're all about loving with people's minds. In 2033 they force you into vivid hallucinations at several points so making himself appear like a kid in a raincoat probably isn't that difficult.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Just beat the game. Wait, did it seriously just end by having Artyom detonate a bomb to destroy his enemies but take himself out along with them? Because that makes the events of the game seem like kind of a waste of time :psyboom:

Or is this like 2033 and there's a good ending and a bad ending and I just got the bad one? If so, what's the good one then? What choice did I make in the game to get the ending I got?

edit: I'm watching the endings on YouTube and apparently I got the bad one. Still not sure how. The good one seems better and more fitting with the story. But isn't the bad ending from 2033 the one that set in motion the events of Last Light?

Yep, you got the bad one. Good one has the dark ones preventing detonation and saving Artyom

edit:

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Beat the game, enjoyed it, but I have some questions/issues:

1) My graphics card (GeForce 8800 GT, so not new) is freaking the gently caress out - smoke creates a lot of ugly-rear end artifacts. I updated my drivers and - nope, still there. It's kinda funny, though - the game includes so many interface screws that half the time I can't tell if it's supposed to happen, or if it's just my video card acting up.
How do I fix this?

Change to a lower DX? I don't think the 8800 supports DX11, that might be the cause. You may want to consider getting e newer card, that thing is pretty drat old to be playing a system killer like this.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 17, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yep, you got the bad one. Good one has the dark ones preventing detonation and saving Artyom

What choice decides that, though? Is it because I killed Pavel instead of sparing him or what? It didn't seem like there were very many decisions you could make in the game to influence which ending you get.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feeble posted:

Kid's a dark one, not sure if you've read the book or played the first game but they're all about loving with people's minds. In 2033 they force you into vivid hallucinations at several points so making himself appear like a kid in a raincoat probably isn't that difficult.

Yeah I played the first one and I figured that was the case. They just usually didn't seem so subtle in their head fuckery.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 17, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

Man this game really scratched that STALKER itch. I'm really sad that there probably won't be another of that series because drat the post apocalyptic nuclear creepiness is something these studios do well.

Word is the stalker team is working on a new stalker 'inspired' game but apparently it is an mmofps which I find a bit discouraging because those never seem to turn out well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calax posted:

Actually the game seems pretty good on "normal" at showing you what to do, but it doesn't actually say anything about the fact that it's showing you. So the indicators are pretty "the hell?" unless you're looking for it. In a boss fight the color Red=Shoot it. Will save you much trouble on the "How the hell do you kill this thing?" bosses that'll just let you run out of ammo before ending.

I didn't have a sniper equipped, and didn't see the red, and the last one of those you kill you kill in a totally different manner (in another game, to be fair). :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What choice decides that, though? Is it because I killed Pavel instead of sparing him or what? It didn't seem like there were very many decisions you could make in the game to influence which ending you get.

Every time you see a flash of white means you got a point towards your "good ending" meter. Doing bad things like killing things needlessly takes away from it. Basically to get the good ending you have to sneak everywhere, play a lot of instruments, explore a lot, and help people out.

e: quote isn't edit ugh

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Huh, so my game just bugged on me, and I can't figure out how to fix it:

I am at the part where you just come out of the airplane, having saved your buddy from the flashbacks, or whatever the hell they were, by putting his mask back on for him. As soon as you step out of the plane you get rushed by a bunch of monsters. I've killed the first wave, and then buddy is like "Quickly, the entrance to <blahblah> is just around this corner!"

And then he just stands there. I can't prod him on to do anything else, I can't shoot him, I can't even reload because apparently that line is the first thing that happens at that checkpoint.

Anyone run into a similar issue?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had that issue, dying, reloading, then waiting by him for a bit seemed to fix it for me though.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I had the same issue. Closing then restarting the game fixed it for me. If that doesn't help then sorry, I've got nothing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBA Starblade posted:

Every time you see a flash of white means you got a point towards your "good ending" meter. Doing bad things like killing things needlessly takes away from it. Basically to get the good ending you have to sneak everywhere, play a lot of instruments, explore a lot, and help people out.

e: quote isn't edit ugh

Ah, okay. I tried to explore a lot and help people out whenever possible, but as far as sneaking, I'd try at first and then one of the guards would hear me shooting my silenced pistol somehow and I'd have to mow them all down with a submachine gun :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Look, clothes! Just like you!

• Locked thread