Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

PonchAxis posted:

You know I feel like Nintendo would have been better off releasing the Wii U this fall instead of last year.

Up against the PS4 and Xbox Doritos? At that point they may as well have just burned all of their money instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ImpAtom posted:

I'll believe it from Sony after I see a good E3 press conference from them. I like a fair number of the PS4's announced features but I actually use a fair amount of the WiiU's features too on the rare occasion I boot it up. They're going to need more than just that to really make it work and they've got a lot to prove.

Sure, obviously this is all theoretical for now. I'm slightly optimistic based on what we've heard so far.

It would be very hard for them to bungle the marketing harder than Nintendo has, though.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I haven't owned a Nintendo home system since the N64. Not because I intentionally disregarded Nintendo, but the first two Playstations and then the 360 just got all of my attention. However this coming "next gen" I want to get a Nintendo home console too, about drat time I get one, and here of course we run into the problem that the Wii U is what they have out. Let me repeat: I haven't bought a Nintendo console since 1998, am eager to buy one and looking at the Wii U now, I don't want to get it. I know they'll kind of turn it around once 3D Mario and Mario Kart release and I'll probably bite at that point, but this launch is so abysmal. That Yoshi game looks good too and I've never played Wind Waker so things are looking up by the end of the year but right now it's bad.

But of course even then the Wii U will be in my house to "compliment" a PS4/Nextbox/gaming PC. No way is the Wii U going to be all I have with those specs.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Up against the PS4 and Xbox Doritos? At that point they may as well have just burned all of their money instead.

Well I mean look at the Wii, it launched against the PS3 and sold way more. I think If Nintendo waited a year and built up a solid library for launch they could have had a shot. Wishful thinking I know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How has the reaction to the new controller been among non-serious game players? There was some magic going on with the wiimote that brought lots of customers like that in, right? Has the new controller generated any of that?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's absolutely zero buzz around the gamepad among the general public. I actually do think the controller is a real pleasure and convenience, but it's hard to convey why without the experience of having it around the home for a little while.

Marketing challenges: It lacks the iconic simplicity of the Wiimote, is easily mistaken for a device with a different purpose, sacrifices a streamlined look for the sake of ergonomics (it's a fair bit larger than the internal components require so that you can hold it comfortably), drops the emphasis on physical activity as a selling point, and is a combination of various familiar technologies instead of representing something wholly new.

I wonder whether Nintendo's next console will drop most of the legacy controller support and slink towards the Pro Controller as the standard option.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

In fact adult women actually represent a greater percentage of the gaming market than teenage boys. There is a reason Sony and Microsoft are also trying to change their demographics. Teens are a significant part of but by no means the 'meat' of the industry.

Is this true for the console market, or just demographics as a whole? I was always under the impression that consoles were still male dominated, and PC/phone gaming shored up the market for women.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Is this true for the console market, or just demographics as a whole? I was always under the impression that consoles were still male dominated, and PC/phone gaming shored up the market for women.

I believe it takes into account PC/phone, but even without that the market is not teen focused. There's a reason something like Just Dance is one of the absolute best selling games every time it comes out.

The huge billion sellers like Call of Duty are probably disproportionately teens but they're also only a part of the whole. Kids represent a huge chunk of the market, as do adults in theirs 30s who grew up on games, and it counts for both genders. Skylanders and Pokemon certainly have their share of adult players but they're not selling crazy gangbusters off just that.

The industry can't survive as a teen-focused thing and they know it. That is why Sony and Microsoft are both diversifying, even if they do it unsuccessfully. The industry needs to keep growing to sustain itself.

Nintendo is one of the few companies who legitimately makes all-ages all-gender games, and that's a big part of their staying power even beyond the pure nostalgia of the name. If you buy a Nintendo game, you're getting something basically anyone can play for all the good and bad that comes with that. Sony and Microsoft have some great franchises, but they're in a fairly narrow band. If you don't like realistic violence and shooting you're really limited in options. Both of them are trying to diversify but nobody's really hit 'gold' yet aside from maybe Little Big Planet.

Third parties are doing that (Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed for example), but both of those are on the PC as well, and the PC (especially with Steambox) is shaping up to be a pretty serious competitor this generation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 17, 2013

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Junkie Disease posted:

"What we need is this Bubsy to be 3-D and to hell with the texturemaps, WE DON'T NEED EM!" Yeah Nintendo giving them the money to make a game they couldn't make otherwise was the worst idea in history. Those fiends!

I think you took my post a bit seriously. I was just pointing out how I, and several others, are a bit miffed that the sequel to probably one of the best games of the past generation is coming out on a console which has flopped dramatically. When y'know, had it been multiplayform it would have sold units.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's hard to frame the Nintendo exclusivity as a "retarded decision" when that's how it got the funding to exist at all. Nobody was backing Platinum to make it a multiplatform release, so there's no point presenting that as an alternative.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's hard to frame the Nintendo exclusivity as a "retarded decision" when that's how it got the funding to exist at all. Nobody was backing Platinum to make it a multiplatform release, so there's no point presenting that as an alternative.

Ultimately, I'd rather Bayonetta 2 was never a thing than a product exclusive to a console which isn't selling enough units to justify that kind of exclusivitivity.

Basically it really is pretty retarded if you are both a fan of Bayonetta and a fan of nintendo that's unwilling to buy into this flop of a console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Ultimately, I'd rather Bayonetta 2 was never a thing than a product exclusive to a console which isn't selling enough units to justify that kind of exclusivitivity.

Basically it really is pretty retarded if you are both a fan of Bayonetta and a fan of nintendo that's unwilling to buy into this flop of a console.

That doesn't make any sense at all. You would rather the game not exist than exist just because it's on a system you don't want to buy. At absolute worst, if the WiiU is a Virtual Boy flop, you can buy one super cheap once it flops completely and use it to play Bayonetta 2, something that wouldn't be an option otherwise.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

At absolute worst, if the WiiU is a Virtual Boy flop, you can buy one super cheap once it flops completely and use it to play Bayonetta 2,

This in no way would help Platinum games though and they arn't a studio that deserves or can reasonably handle a flop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

This in no way would help Platinum games though and they arn't a studio that deserves or can reasonably handle a flop.

They've handled plenty of flops before. Platinum games are the definition of great games that sell poorly. Especially with Metal Gear Rising under their belt, they're going to be fine even if Bayonetta 2 didn't sell a single copy. It also isn't like they're footing the bill themselves and need it to survive.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Nintendo has basically bankrolled Bayonetta 2 entirely. If it flops horribly because of the WiiU's anemic sales Platinum will barely feel it.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
My sister and even a few of my gamer friends just assumed that the WiiU was an add-on to the Wii before I told them what it actually was. Seriously, the marketing has been just horrendous and I can't imagine a worse possible name for the system. I never bought a Wii but I was pretty excited about it at first until the novelty of motion controls wore off after having played it at friends' houses for a while and I realized how little I cared about the software lineup compared to the 360, and everyone I know who actually own a Wii feel the same way and never touch the drat thing any more. The launch lineup for the WiiU is just atrocious, which could have been forgiven with the Wii considering the novelty of the motion controls but the WiiU doesn't have that going for it anymore, and the controller gimmick isn't nearly as interesting. The only things keeping me even remotely interested are Bayonetta 2 and, assuming that they can get online play right this time around, Super Smash Bros 4. Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time and at this point I'm almost hoping that the sequel's not even that good just so I won't have to buy a system to play it.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 17, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
295 replies in 12 hours. This console autopsy thread may be the most popular thing related to Wii U right now.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Third parties are doing that (Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed for example), but both of those are on the PC as well, and the PC (especially with Steambox) is shaping up to be a pretty serious competitor this generation.

The next generation will be interesting for sure, phone and tablet gaming has sucked up a huge amount of the casual market and Steam has pretty much single handedly rejuvenated the PC as a viable gaming platform. Another big factor to this is the industry as a whole stagnating in trying to push the graphics envelope, nobody needs a monster PC in order to play modern games anymore. The whole 'monster pc' and 'upgrade every month' ideas were always blown way out of proportion but its nice to see those stereotypes finally being put to rest.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

AngryCaterpillar posted:

295 replies in 12 hours. This console autopsy thread may be the most popular thing related to Wii U right now.

Some would even say "most retarded". Lets end this mess on Platinum games. Nintendo, is giving them money to make the game. More games are canned quietly before completion, Platinum is getting paid. This is a good thing for both Nintendo and platinum games. If it flops only Nintendo gets seriously hurt.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Comically large controller and cult status among a minority of devoted fans? It has the first, and it sounds like we're well on the way to the second. So yes, OP.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boss key posted:

Comically large controller and cult status among a minority of devoted fans? It has the first, and it sounds like we're well on the way to the second. So yes, OP.

Well even the most devoted fans at this point seem to be at "annoyed frustration". I mean I've owned every Nintendo system ever except the DSi(and 3DS but I'm getting one of those next month), made god knows how many excuses in the past for them, I'm just waiting for them to fire their management at this point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PonchAxis posted:

You know I feel like Nintendo would have been better off releasing the Wii U this fall instead of last year.

I postulated earlier that Nintendo launched when it did because it saw both the 360 and PS2 have great success as the first new consoles of their generations, and Nintendo wanted to try and do the same without fully realizing that those consoles were hits for reasons other than "first out of the gate".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

C-Euro posted:

I postulated earlier that Nintendo launched when it did because it saw both the 360 and PS2 have great success as the first new consoles of their generations, and Nintendo wanted to try and do the same without fully realizing that those consoles were hits for reasons other than "first out of the gate".

The funny thing about that, is the Dreamcast was the first new console of the PS2 generation.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

The funny thing about that, is the Dreamcast was the first new console of the PS2 generation.

No, the Dreamcast was in a weird limbo between the 5th and the 6th generation, and didn't really fit into either. It offered games that were more advanced than the Ps1's offerings, but were primitive compared to the offerings of the Ps2.

Which, again, is another parralel to the WiiU.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

No, the Dreamcast was in a weird limbo between the 5th and the 6th generation, and didn't really fit into either. It offered games that were more advanced than the Ps1's offerings, but were primitive compared to the offerings of the Ps2.

To this day I don't see this. There's something about the Dreamcast visuals that I think are better than the PS2. Not sure what the technical reasons would be, but the games always looked way sharper and with better framerates on Dreamcast.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Which, again, is another parralel to the WiiU.

Not quite, since the WiiU offers games that aren't more advanced than the previous generation's offerings - not in comparison to the PS3 and 360.

Peter Radiator
Aug 1, 2004

somebody got hurt
somebody get hurt
I think the Wii U will do fine. It's not selling now because there aren't that many games out and Nintendo is not advertising the system. By fall/holiday season 2013 there should be some big first party titles out and probably lots of advertising, maybe a small price cut depending on how the new PS and XBOX are priced.

Obviously will not appeal to the hardcore gamer since it will be underpowered compared to the new consoles and will miss out on a bunch of third party AAA titles. But first party games + cheaper than the PS and XBOX should make it at least moderately successful. What they really need is a new "wii sports" that will convince the casual market to upgrade from the wii they bought 7 years ago.

Peter Radiator fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 17, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

Well even the most devoted fans at this point seem to be at "annoyed frustration". I mean I've owned every Nintendo system ever except the DSi(and 3DS but I'm getting one of those next month), made god knows how many excuses in the past for them, I'm just waiting for them to fire their management at this point.

It's pretty much inevitable. The forecast they made for this financial year is crazy and there's almost no way they hit it. So when they miss their targets again after 2 years losses, there's gonna be some shakeups.

They've predicted 9 million Wii U's shipped between April 2012 and March 2013. If sales keep their current pace, they're going to be at just under a million units sold by August (assuming sales double the month W101 comes out). That means they're going to need a holiday season approaching the one the Wii had in its second year to hit that. I'm not sure even the biggest optimist thinks the turnaround will be that big.

Fallom posted:

Not quite, since the WiiU offers games that aren't more advanced than the previous generation's offerings - not in comparison to the PS3 and 360.

Technically it does (Need For Speed on Wii U is the best looking console version). It doesn't matter though, the difference is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 17, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fallom posted:

I'm being incredibly charitable to ZombiU.

Then again, Telltales Walking Dead and (99% chance) The Last Of Us utterly demolish it in terms of a great zombie game....

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

To this day I don't see this. There's something about the Dreamcast visuals that I think are better than the PS2. Not sure what the technical reasons would be, but the games always looked way sharper and with better framerates on Dreamcast.

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quote:

Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Or, you know, less pompously, the DC was still games for ten minutes versus games for several hours.

The Dreamcast made for a hell of an arcade game board and it really shows in what games it's best at running.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

Then again, Telltales Walking Dead and (99% chance) The Last Of Us utterly demolish it in terms of a great zombie game....

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Really sink ones teeth into? I think you might be giving Ico a little too much credit, because the game was a breeze. I remember there being one slightly difficult puzzle (something to do with a chandelier and a multilevel temple? I think?) and the combat was so tacked on it was laughable.

The two games aren't even comparible, ChuChu rocket was made to be a multiplayer game and Ico was a single player experience. You should be comparing CCR to, uh... what was an early PS2 multiplayer game? It barely had any, and certainly none that were more than 2 players. Twisted Metal Black?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fulchrum posted:

The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.
This is true there were no simple, cartoony games on the PS2, it was All Art, All the Time.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on these forums. Goongratulations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I guess I'll chime in as a prospective buyer.

I'm actually interested in buying a Wii U in the next couple of months for a few reasons...

-I really enjoy Nintendo games and the library I've seen on my 3DS this past year and a half has been amazing. So I'm hopeful to see the same turnaround with the Wii U. Also Earthbound.

-Most games that I have a heavy interest in now I usually just end up playing on my PC. The only games I can't really do this with are Nintendo games, and the occasional console game that's not coming to the Wii U that I'm ok with either waiting for a PC port, or waiting a few years till I can buy the Xbox Doritos or PS4 for far less than launch prices.

-I don't play Console games nearly as much anymore (this comes partially from sharing a TV with my girlfriend who's not into games) and the last console game I bought and actually sat down to play was Mass Effect 3. I think the only game I'm looking forward to that's likely a console exclusive for at least six months is GTA V.

-My :siren:girlfriend:siren: enjoys playing Nintendo/Casual games, so at the very least, I could see her using it too. The only reason she ever turns on my PS3 is to watch a blu-ray or occasionally play Uncharted (she digs that game but really can't get into anything else. I don't get it either.)

The only things holding me back at this point are...

-Cost. I can easily afford to buy a new system right now, but I'm waiting to see if any bundles end up coming out that make dropping close to 500 dollars on a new system and some games a bit easier to swallow. A price drop might not be a bad idea either and I know Nintendo has been firm that they won't be dropping the price anytime soon, but I know that if they chipped 50-100 dollars of the system cost or made a very attractive bundle, that would easily get me to buy a system.

-I'm not that interested in the PS4 at the moment, but I am curious to see what Sony ends up announcing as the launch price as well as launch titles. Similar situation for Microsoft, but I doubt I'll buy the next xbox as I got sick of paying for Live and getting poo poo in return, as well as MS not really having any titles (even Halo) that I give a poo poo about anymore. At least Sony has Uncharted and LBP. So I will likely end up with a PS4, but not for at least 2-3 years from now.

-Games. Until we hear about more solid launch dates (which we might in about 20 minutes or so) I'm reluctant to buy a system. I realize Nintendo systems since N64 have had a trickle of First and Second Party games, and I'm ok with that. Though right now it feels like there haven't been any concrete announcements for what's coming beyond the next 3 months besides a vague Mario Kart, 3D Mario and SSB game. I bought a 3DS just for Ocarina of Time and while I enjoyed it, there were no games I was interested in save Ghost Recon for about six months. That was frustrating, though the Ambassador program certainly made me feel much better about my purchase. So I'd rather not deal with that again.

I guess I'll see what Nintendo has up their sleeves in the next month or so with all the directs they have planned. Hopefully, they can rebound this situation like they did the 3DS. I realize a handheld rebound is completely different from what Nintendo would need to do to rebound their console, but I can see it happening if they play their cards right.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 17, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Joking aside I would buy a ChuChu Rocket port day 1, game plays great on phones already, would play great on the tablet. It would be a perfect $5-10 eshop game.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Really sink ones teeth into? I think you might be giving Ico a little too much credit, because the game was a breeze. I remember there being one slightly difficult puzzle (something to do with a chandelier and a multilevel temple? I think?) and the combat was so tacked on it was laughable.

The two games aren't even comparible, ChuChu rocket was made to be a multiplayer game and Ico was a single player experience. You should be comparing CCR to, uh... what was an early PS2 multiplayer game? It barely had any, and certainly none that were more than 2 players. Twisted Metal Black?

TimeSplitters?
Launch title with 4-player splitscreen...
(Fulchrum's still an idiot, though... Why yes, clearly CCR and Ico each holistically represent the entirety of each console's approaches to gaming)

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 17, 2013

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into.

What the hell does this even mean?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Awesome Welles posted:

What the hell does this even mean?

Again, focus went from arcade style, play for five minute games to games you sit down with for a few hours. This is less of a hardware problem and more of a paradigm shift though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Again, focus went from arcade style, play for five minute games to games you sit down with for a few hours. This is less of a hardware problem and more of a paradigm shift though.

Sure but I think a lot more of that confusion is because saying that the Dreamcast home of Phantasy Star Online not being part of that paradigm shift is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
This thread title is pretty apt since Nintendo just spent a good chunk of this morning's Nintendo Direct talking about their partnership with Sega and announcing an exclusive Sega game for the Wii U :v:

• Locked thread