Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wrist Watch posted:

but but but my animes/"soundtracks"(actually just video game music)/video game music/jpop/obscure bands (pick one)! then I'd have to pay money for my music instead of pirating getting copies from friends!

But in all seriousness I am considering doing this, maybe when I switch from Sprint so I have decent signals and better coverage. I'm really just using play music for new songs I get through bandcamps or other places and don't feel like plugging my phone into my computer.

Well that's the brilliance of Google Music All Access when compared to Rdio/Spotify/Slacker/Rhapsody/Napster/Samsung Music Hub. You can take your anime soundtracks with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wrist Watch posted:

Well yeah, I didn't mean I would delete everything and then reupload everything hoping it would work. I meant that using the desktop version, changing the tags in a song wasn't enough to reupload/replace the old version on the website. So I'll have to delete all my old stuff before uploading an album I know wasn't tagged properly before to see if it works, then uploading everything else if everything goes well.

I'm not looking forward to finding cover art again though. I've noticed that I must have missed quite a few last time I thought I did this and it bugs me.

Really? I know it was useless before, but I'm pretty sure I fixed some tags on there recently (same kind of thing, seeing multiple albums in the desktop client) and it all getting consolidated into one. Just make sure the tags match EXACTLY because it is very picky about things like case and matching years and so on.

Album Art Downloader (I'm on my phone and too lazy to link sorry) is pretty decent for finding artwork, and you can upload artwork for the whole album in the desktop Music client. This might be a good time to look for nice high resolution artwork too, because the new app zooms in and pans instead of just showing it all at once, and it really does look awful when it's blowing images up past 100%

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Rye Bread posted:

Can you only stream to one device or pc at a time with Play Music? My girlfriend and I have a gmail account we share for app purchases, so I'm curious if we should subscribe on there.

I just tried it on 2 phones and it worked just fine.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wow, anyone else updated to the new FB Messenger? When you get a message it puts a REALLY annoying "bubble" of the contacts face on your homescreen you have to longpress and move to the bottom of the screen to remove...REALLY loving obtrusive and annoying.

Who thought that was a good idea?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Nask26 posted:

I just tried it on 2 phones and it worked just fine.

Yeah this feature and the much nicer application convinced me to cancel Spotify this morning.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow, anyone else updated to the new FB Messenger? When you get a message it puts a REALLY annoying "bubble" of the contacts face on your homescreen you have to longpress and move to the bottom of the screen to remove...REALLY loving obtrusive and annoying.

Who thought that was a good idea?

That's been out for a while now, you can turn it off in the setting if you don't want it.

I personally love the chat bubbles, you can do your conversations with anyone without having to exit out of whatever you were doing before. If they get in the way, I just move them to another position or something. And you don't have to longpress and move them to the bottom of the screen, you can just drag and flick them downwards and they'll close.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
You can disable it in settings>notifications>chat heads. I really wanted to like it but the fact that you have to throw your friends heads away constantly is annoying. They should just time out instead.

I also tried to like the SMS feature but I'm not getting contacts pictures in the notifications so I can't even do it

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

booshi posted:

Right now the built-in Talk app, and the Skype app.

I just want both in one app, hopefully a nicer one that works well.

e: Actually, I think this is a good time, having a new device and all, to actually have 2 programs. That way, I can just kill skype quickly since I only have it on for work reasons, keeping social and work easily distinct and separate.

Your two-app solution is definitely the way to go, since I don't believe there are any third-party apps that are allowed to connect to the Skype servers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Your two-app solution is definitely the way to go, since I don't believe there are any third-party apps that are allowed to connect to the Skype servers.

Trillian can connect to Skype if you're using it on the desktop. I'm not sure if you can do that on the app though...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Trillian can connect to Skype if you're using it on the desktop. I'm not sure if you can do that on the app though...

There are a few desktop apps that will allow you to connect to Skype, but as far as I'm aware they all require Skype to be installed and running at the same time, so you don't really gain anything other than centralised messaging.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

There are a few desktop apps that will allow you to connect to Skype, but as far as I'm aware they all require Skype to be installed and running at the same time, so you don't really gain anything other than centralised messaging.

I honestly can't say if Trillian needs this or not because I don't use it, I only know it from my fiancee.

It could be though. If that's the case...why not just...use Skype? :v:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I honestly can't say if Trillian needs this or not because I don't use it, I only know it from my fiancee.

It could be though. If that's the case...why not just...use Skype? :v:

I guess you don't have to look at or ever really touch the hideous Skype application? I can't claim to understand it either, but if you just pull a "set it and forget it" with the official Skype application, you can pretend you're using Pidgin or Trillian or whatever.

Not something I'd ever bother doing, but I guess it makes a certain amount of sense in some situations. We need an "it is Skype" ghost emoticon.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Play Music All Access is pretty sweet but is there any way to get pinned music to download to the SD card and not internal storage? That (and playlist folders) are the only two things keeping me from ditching Spotify.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Skywalker OG posted:

It's this better than Musicbee? Always looking for a better music metadata thing.

Never tried Musicbee, but the basic idea with Picard is that it loads info from the musicbrainz database, which is basically like a way more :spergin: version of wikipedia, for music. This makes it a super quick way to retag huge amounts of music. It's not good for tagging individual songs, but if, like me, you only collect your music in complete albums, it's a Godsend.

Eques
Jun 11, 2001

dik-dik posted:

Are there any good workout tracking/planning apps you folks would recommend?

I like JEFIT for lifting myself, but if that's not what you're looking for you may find something that does suit your needs in this YLLS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536846

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

dik-dik posted:

Are there any good workout tracking/planning apps you folks would recommend?

If you're looking for a really lightweight app to keep track of your lifting, take a look at this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fookolt posted:

Play Music All Access is pretty sweet but is there any way to get pinned music to download to the SD card and not internal storage? That (and playlist folders) are the only two things keeping me from ditching Spotify.
No and it probably never will. Remember that Google doesn't want SD cards and doesn't want to support SD cards so they're not going to add support to use them into their apps.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Ahaha, so Google will apparently disable XMPP Federation with the switch from Talk to Hangouts. While this will probably affect nobody except a few :spergin: CS majors (like me), it actually means there will be nobody on Hangout for me to chat with and I'll have to re-install my own XMPP server.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5714557

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Penguissimo posted:

I tried imo messenger for a while and it does this fine (for text chat, anyway). Please note that if you try the free version of this, it will spam status texts of all connected accounts on all platforms to say that you're using it.

Other than that, I liked it, especially the fact that it was straightforward to set some accounts online and other offline and vice versa.

So, yes, third party apps can login into Skype servers.

EDIT: Ugh, a lot of very recent reviews of the app say it won't login to Skype anymore, so I guess that changed. Sorry, disregard.

Penguissimo posted:

This was the case for the longest time, but I was assured on these forums like a month ago that this isn't the case anymore for Trillian. It doesn't need to have Skype installed anymore.

vvvAgain, for text chat only,vvv and I haven't verified this myself.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 17, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flipperwaldt posted:

This was the case for the longest time, but I was assured on these forums like a month ago that this isn't the case anymore for Trillian. It doesn't need to have Skype installed anymore.

Again, for text chat only, and I haven't verified this myself.

I chat with a friend using Skype, both text and voice, and uses Trillian and doesn't have Skype installed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Grim Up North posted:

Ahaha, so Google will apparently disable XMPP Federation with the switch from Talk to Hangouts. While this will probably affect nobody except a few :spergin: CS majors (like me), it actually means there will be nobody on Hangout for me to chat with and I'll have to re-install my own XMPP server.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5714557

If this is true, it's bad news for me as I am working on Cisco IM with Jabber and getting XMPP federation up and working between our domain and other XMPP service like google Talk. This was a big feature for us.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

No and it probably never will. Remember that Google doesn't want SD cards and doesn't want to support SD cards so they're not going to add support to use them into their apps.

Yet they added that exact feature to Play Magazines a version or so back.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I tried imo messenger for a while and it does this fine (for text chat, anyway). Please note that if you try the free version of this, it will spam status texts of all connected accounts on all platforms to say that you're using it.

Other than that, I liked it, especially the fact that it was straightforward to set some accounts online and other offline and vice versa.

So, yes, third party apps can login into Skype servers.

EDIT: Ugh, a lot of very recent reviews of the app say it won't login to Skype anymore, so I guess that changed. Sorry, disregard.

vvvAgain, for text chat only,vvv and I haven't verified this myself.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I chat with a friend using Skype, both text and voice, and uses Trillian and doesn't have Skype installed.

Hot drat, this is good news. I wonder if the change is related to the MSN Messenger merge?

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Penguissimo posted:

Hot drat, this is good news. I wonder if the change is related to the MSN Messenger merge?

I recall Trillian adding proper, standalone Skype support a year or two ago when Skype finally made their SDK not require the Skype client. I don't think it had much to do with Microsoft, and it definitely did not have anything to do with the MSN merge.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I did read that Skype support for Trillian won't work anymore at the end of this year if MS doesn't update some things pertaining to the MSN-Skype merge.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 17, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

ThermoPhysical posted:

I did read that Skype support for Trillian won't work anymore at the end of this year if MS didn't update some things pertaining to the MSN-Skype merge.

Ugh. I don't even use Trillian but that's not good news. Stupid Skype and the way they have their protocol set up. I wouldn't even use it if some of my more stubborn colleagues would just move to GChat.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Grim Up North posted:

Ahaha, so Google will apparently disable XMPP Federation with the switch from Talk to Hangouts.
It's not "will", it's already broken. And rather subtlely. There's three chat scenarios:

XMPP federated user, Google Talk user: Works (as it did before).
Google Talk user, Hangouts user: Works (it's the whole integration thing, right?).
XMPP federated user, Hangouts user: Doesn't work.

In the last case, when the Hangout user signs in, the XMPP user sees them connect. However, messages from the XMPP federated user only get queued up for when the Hangouts user signs in with an actual Talk client, which may never happen. Meanwhile, the Hangouts user has no way to add the XMPP federated user to a chat session, and so can't message them to begin with.

I have to admit, I didn't actually test sending a message yesterday. I just logged in with hangouts and saw the login on my XMPP account and figured "ah cool, that works too."

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

LastInLine posted:

Does doing that still silence notifications on the phone? Because it did for me. Checking that box instantly made an orange bar appear in the Hangout on the phone saying "Notifications are disabled for this Hangout. Turn back on?" at the top.

poo poo, I didn't realize it crossed over. I hate that orange bar across the top on my phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I love the Google Play Music All Access Xtreme Edition, particularly the radio mode. I've decided to start using the thumbs up feature so it can get a better idea of what I like, but it's horribly inconsistent! Not that I'm particularly surprised. If I use the browser version, it has thumbs up and thumbs down. The widget has thumbs up only, which is fine since that's really the only one I use. The notification shade and lockscreen controls don't have either. If you're actually in the application, there's controls at the bottom, but no thumbs, you have to tap the track and then the thumbs appear.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Seriously, how does the Google Play Music app still not have gapless playback?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I love the Google Play Music All Access Xtreme Edition, particularly the radio mode. I've decided to start using the thumbs up feature so it can get a better idea of what I like, but it's horribly inconsistent! Not that I'm particularly surprised. If I use the browser version, it has thumbs up and thumbs down. The widget has thumbs up only, which is fine since that's really the only one I use. The notification shade and lockscreen controls don't have either. If you're actually in the application, there's controls at the bottom, but no thumbs, you have to tap the track and then the thumbs appear.

How surprising.

OpaqueEcho posted:

Seriously, how does the Google Play Music app still not have gapless playback?

My guess is that hardly anyone (in comparison to their overall user base) cares much about it. Or, it's just Google being Google.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not "will", it's already broken. And rather subtlely. There's three chat scenarios:

[...]
XMPP federated user, Hangouts user: Doesn't work.

In the last case, when the Hangout user signs in, the XMPP user sees them connect. However, messages from the XMPP federated user only get queued up for when the Hangouts user signs in with an actual Talk client, which may never happen. Meanwhile, the Hangouts user has no way to add the XMPP federated user to a chat session, and so can't message them to begin with.

You're right, and with all the Google Talk users quickly getting migrated to Hangouts by Google chatting with XMPP federated users is effectively being disabled now. I suppose removing the XMPP S2S SRV records will not interfere with Hangouts for Google Apps for Business users and will make the brokenness explicit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Grim Up North posted:

I suppose removing the XMPP S2S SRV records will not interfere with Hangouts for Google Apps for Business users and will make the brokenness explicit.
Is it common for Apps folks to also run federated XMPP servers? I'd figure most organizations either roll their own XMPP, or just use Talk, but not both.

I guess having both helps since you can have services communicate (e.g., daemons reporting errors) over federated XMPP without paying for another $50/yr Apps account.

Edit: I'm not happy about this Hangouts "integration" bullshit. They're totally killing Talk/XMPP like they killed Reader, just trying to obfuscate it. "Who needs RSS? Just follow your favorite sites on G+!" Same logic.

Edit edit: Just to make it more clear, Google is free to gently caress around with their free products and incur the wrath of neckbeards all they want.

The problem here is that they're loving around with Apps cusotomers who pay $50/user/year for their services. We use Apps at work, and one of the reasons is because the Android Talk client was really good. Replacing it with Hangouts was a very misguided decision, it should've been a separate app. That way, folks could have their emoji but retain the old client for when needing to deal with federated XMPP. Now it's all or nothing, and the other aspects of the Talk -> Hangouts transition not going well doesn't help.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 17, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it common for Apps folks to also run federated XMPP servers? I'd figure most organizations either roll their own XMPP, or just use Talk, but not both.

I guess having both helps since you can have services communicate (e.g., daemons reporting errors) over federated XMPP without paying for another $50/yr Apps account.

Edit: I'm not happy about this Hangouts "integration" bullshit. They're totally killing Talk/XMPP like they killed Reader, just trying to obfuscate it. "Who needs RSS? Just follow your favorite sites on G+!" Same logic.

It's also kind of a slap in the face after Larry Page went on and on about how unfair it is that Google worked so hard on the open XMPP standard and Microsoft wasn't playing fair with it.

I mean look, I really like Google. But sometimes they make it so hard too. They give us tons of great products for little to nothing but then they silently pull 180s like this with little no reason. They give us great apps and then don't polish or fix issues for years on end and then kill them off inspite of popularity or user impact. And so many of the products seem like the are developed with no real overall direction or as if the development teams are in a vacuum from each other, so you end up with a lot of products that overlap functionality but have no integration with each other. They are getting better about the last part (as we see with the new Hangouts), but it often comes with a loss of functionality (also see Hangouts).

Google, I just want to see you get your poo poo together.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Edit edit: Just to make it more clear, Google is free to gently caress around with their free products and incur the wrath of neckbeards all they want.

The problem here is that they're loving around with Apps cusotomers who pay $50/user/year for their services. We use Apps at work, and one of the reasons is because the Android Talk client was really good. Replacing it with Hangouts was a very misguided decision, it should've been a separate app. That way, folks could have their emoji but retain the old client for when needing to deal with federated XMPP. Now it's all or nothing, and the other aspects of the Talk -> Hangouts transition not going well doesn't help.

I agree and disagree. I don't see any compelling reason that Hangouts couldn't do everything that Talk did right from the get go, including federated XMPP. And I think that google unifying all of their chat under a single app is a good thing. I think the bigger issue right now is that Hangouts loses more functionality from Talk than it adds. I don't want Hangouts to be a seperate app. I want Google to have one chat app. And I want it to do everything that Talk did. (This is coming from someone who also uses Google Apps for a couple of domains as a paying customer)

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 17, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting two sounds when receiving an SMS, my default sound Tejat and also Vega. I don't have any other SMS app installed and the default app is set to use the default sound. I only get one notification so the extra sound is a mystery to me. It seemed to start when I upgraded Talk to Hangouts but that is set to use the normal Hangout sound which is different.

How can I work out which app is playing Vega at me?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 17, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't see any compelling reason that Hangouts couldn't do everything that Talk did right from the get go, including federated XMPP.
They partially broke federated XMPP when they added G+ Talk support. Specifically, G+ users who authenticated each other via circles used masked/cloaked/phony XMPP ids that didn't work with federated users. It could be made to work, but the only reliable way (I found) was to explicitly request authentication via XMPP clients.

But at least it could be made to work. If their real goal was integration, Hangouts could've been made to work too, it's just an engineering challenge. Truth is, they seemed less motivated to achieve true integration, and more badgering their existing users to move to a new platform. The fact they couldn't pull off G+ Messenger integration in time perhaps illustrates that any integration aspect was a total afterthought to what was originally an effort to push yet another, incompatible new platform.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think the bigger issue right now is that Hangouts loses more functionality from Talk than it adds. I don't want Hangouts to be a seperate app. I want Google to have one chat app. And I want it to do everything that Talk did.
OK, but would you agree that a slightly-prefferable solution to the present situation (XMPP federated users lose completely) would be to maintain the legacy Talk client for those who truly need it? I mean, that's clearly suboptimal, but this is even worse.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 17, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

I'm getting two sounds when receiving an SMS, my default sound Tejat and also Vega. I don't have any other SMS app installed and the default app is set to use the default sound. I only get one notification so the extra sound is a mystery to me. It seemed to start when I upgraded Talk to Hangouts but that is set to use the normal Hangout sound which is different.

How can I work out which app is playing Vega at me?

Are you using LightFlow? I get the same thing happening, although I haven't checked to see which sounds the extra one is.

As for my own question: I now have 2 school emails in addition to my Gmail account, so I'm thinking of trying out the Email app, rather than forwarding email to my Gmail (I use a desktop client on my computers). How do the features/UX of Email compare to Gmail, and can I get my Gmail through that app?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Are you using LightFlow? I get the same thing happening, although I haven't checked to see which sounds the extra one is.

As for my own question: I now have 2 school emails in addition to my Gmail account, so I'm thinking of trying out the Email app, rather than forwarding email to my Gmail (I use a desktop client on my computers). How do the features/UX of Email compare to Gmail, and can I get my Gmail through that app?
Thanks it was Lightflow! No idea why that sound turned itself on.

It's better to keep GMail in GMail and other accounts in Email. The default Email app works just fine for me with both an Exchange and an IMAP account.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They partially broke federated XMPP when they added G+ Talk support. Specifically, G+ users who authenticated each other via circles used masked/cloaked/phony XMPP ids that didn't work with federated users. It could be made to work, but the only reliable way (I found) was to explicitly request authentication via XMPP clients.

But at least it could be made to work. If their real goal was integration, Hangouts could've been made to work too, it's just an engineering challenge. Truth is, they seemed less motivated to achieve true integration, and more badgering their existing users to move to a new platform. The fact they couldn't pull off G+ Messenger integration in time perhaps illustrates that any integration aspect was a total afterthought to what was originally an effort to push yet another, incompatible new platform.

I agree that it does feel more like they are trying to force users to use more G+ features than it feels like they are trying to clean up and unify several different chat clients for user benefit.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, but would you agree that a slightly-prefferable solution to the present situation (XMPP federated users lose completely) would be to maintain the legacy Talk client for those who truly need it? I mean, that's clearly suboptimal, but this is even worse.

You can already do this, at least for now you can on Apps for your Domain. In the "Manage this domain" under "Talk Settings" you can turn off Hangout and I think it basically set you back to legacy Google Talk functionality. It is set to use Hangouts by default on my domains, and I am not sure how it works if you use that account on your phone since the old Talk app gets overwritten by Hangouts.

They can't really do this for @gmail.com users since it would fracture their user base.

edit: VVVVV Figures...

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

In the "Manage this domain" under "Talk Settings" you can turn off Hangout and I think it basically set you back to legacy Google Talk functionality.
For me it just breaks the G+ Talk sidebar. The Hangouts app works whether the setting is enabled or not, and behaves the way I described before with regard to broken federation.

• Locked thread