Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Pitch black, eerie chimes, Bloodless Stockade is pretty creepy, you guys :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
This game is awesome. Picked it up last week and arrived at the post-game yesterday, having done most of the side quests along the way. The Everfall is awesome, though it can be kind of tricky to get to specific floors. It took me a few tries to beat the Ur-Dragon (offline naturally) and it was a pain in the rear end to get back to his floor every time after resting back in Gran Soren.

I had a hard time taking out the two weak spots on his wing tips since my main dude is a Fighter and my pawns were useless, so I ended up switching to an archer class (Ranger I think?) and stocking up on Blast Arrows. Dude went down like a chump after that. The loot seemed kind of underwhelming though? Is there any sick gear to get in the other rooms in the Everfall? I'm using the sword & shield you get for beating the game at the moment and some random armor.

Probably going to check out the rest of the Everfall (been to like five rooms so far) this weekend. Is it a good idea to hand over the 20 wakestones to Quince and start NG+ before heading over to the new island? Or does that make everything hard as balls? Level 47-ish right now.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 16, 2013

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Do the Everfall until you're bored with it/have some sweet new duds, but keep the wakestones. You're going to want them in Bitterblack. :getin:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

zeesik posted:

I took your pawn out for an introduction to BBI. Got a nice amount of RC with her and gave her some nice loot. Is the RC for hired pwns 1:1 or a lesser ratio?

Thanks man. I couldn't say about the RC I've only had the game a couple of days and am still trying to get to grips with it properly :)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Anyone who was using Jill for buffs/heals/whatever, don't be surprised when she suddenly turns into a lovely level 17 strider named Sierra. Turns out 135 is as high level as I can go without getting bored!

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
What is the best skill set for playing MK? It seems like cannon is the only thing I have that is effective. It doesn't feel like any of the shield skills are worth it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zarron posted:

What is the best skill set for playing MK? It seems like cannon is the only thing I have that is effective. It doesn't feel like any of the shield skills are worth it.

I use Cannon, Stone Forest / Full Moon Slash and Ruinous Sigil for the sword skills. Rank 3 Stone Forest absolutely destroy things even though the cast time is still a big long for my liking. Full Moon Slash is used against harpies or other annoying things that like to grab. It has a few invulnerability frames. It is also decent for spamming on 2 great cannons as it does a ton of hits for a huge lightshow.

Shield skills are abyssal anguish, then 2 elemental enchants depending on the situation. I don't really use the blocking skills because they are pretty poo poo. Of course I still block now and again, I'm just not going to bother to buff up for some barely noticeable effect for when I do. Using the augment to increase buff duration, you can give yourself a rank 2 weapon enchant and have enough time to drop 2x great cannons and spam attacks on them until they despawn then repeat dropping cannons and attacking once more before having to rebuff. The duration gets even better if you get a tier 3 BBI helm with the extend skill duration modifier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 17, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

zarron posted:

Demon's Wrath, Abyssal Anguish, and Blessed Riposte or Thunder Riposte make a good shield set. All of the ripostes are at least decent, I don't use the the mass enchantments personally because they last such a small amount of time.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
So I just started farming Daimon and I'm quickly running out of RC, so if any goons want to take my 94-ish warrior pawn out for a spin, please do. I'm so broke :negative:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I know a lot of people here are in BBI, which is more difficult than the Everfall, but I just went through the Chamber of Fate, and good lord... I'm level 45 (at least was when I started, 47 now), and the first room with the Chimera, Lich, and Gorechimera took out one of my goon pawns, then I think a gargoyle got the other, then I did the drake with just my main pawn. I had to use a few wakestones along the way, but by the time I got the drake down to half health or so, I really didn't want to start over by not using a wakestone. Anyway, all that to say I'm really enjoying the Everfall, can't wait to check out BBI once I'm a high enough level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What the poo poo. The chests after defeating Daimon can have riftcrystals instead of armor/weapon lvl 3? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I wasn't paying attention. The game autosaves after he dies, right? If so I need to godsbane myself. That was weeeak.

edit: The answer is no, so make sure you save your game before you open the chests.

edit 2: Okay wow Shattered Earth Tomes wreck Daimon's first form like nobody's business.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 17, 2013

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Atlas Moth posted:

Pitch black, eerie chimes, Bloodless Stockade is pretty creepy, you guys :ohdear:

Those chimes represent that Death is near :getin:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Got to about level 16 on the first day. Pretty fun game, died a couple times when I went into areas I was not prepared for.

Am I NOT supposed to be checking the rift for the best possible pawns I can sign on for free? Because that's exactly what I've been doing, and I've got a kickass warrior and kickass mage to back my strider and mage pawn up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lotish posted:

What the poo poo. The chests after defeating Daimon can have riftcrystals instead of armor/weapon lvl 3? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I wasn't paying attention. The game autosaves after he dies, right? If so I need to godsbane myself. That was weeeak.

edit: The answer is no, so make sure you save your game before you open the chests.
Yeah I once got crystals out of 3 of the 4 and resolved to always godsbane scum from then on. It's pretty dumb that they did that but there it is.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

CVagts posted:

Got to about level 16 on the first day. Pretty fun game, died a couple times when I went into areas I was not prepared for.

Am I NOT supposed to be checking the rift for the best possible pawns I can sign on for free? Because that's exactly what I've been doing, and I've got a kickass warrior and kickass mage to back my strider and mage pawn up.

Your exp gets hampered the higher level pawns you have compared to your own level so as long as you're ok with leveling slower, go for it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Scott Bakula posted:

I've always gone mage for my pawn because having a reliable healer and more important buffer makes a massive difference to playing since I've never gone Mystic Knight. It doesn't matter too much in the end so long as you don't mind searching for pawns or just use goon pawns though. Searching is really shittily implemented though since you can't check pawn inclinations until they're summoned to the rift and finding the mage spell combination you want is rare. I've been running Magick Archer(Me)/Mage (main pawn)/fighter/ranger for some time now and finding a non-goon pawn ranger that isn't totally useless is near impossible.

I'd also really recommend playing magick archer. They're the most versatile class and setting yourself on fire then climbing things is a lot of fun.

I agree with this.

I played Fighter and then Mage for a while and both of them were pretty boring. Then I switched to Magick Archer and holy poo poo is this game fun now. Explosive Bolting someone and then stabbing them in the face with a dagger is amazing. They explode and fly off. Six-Shot Bolt is really good too and Hunter Shot is great for dropping a bunch of harpies to the ground or targeting every weak point on an enemy and hitting them all at once.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Daric posted:

I agree with this.

I played Fighter and then Mage for a while and both of them were pretty boring. Then I switched to Magick Archer and holy poo poo is this game fun now. Explosive Bolting someone and then stabbing them in the face with a dagger is amazing. They explode and fly off. Six-Shot Bolt is really good too and Hunter Shot is great for dropping a bunch of harpies to the ground or targeting every weak point on an enemy and hitting them all at once.

Magic archer makes me wish I had four spell slots

Also another thing about having higher level pawns besides the exp thing is that you'll be able to kill things you probably should not be able to, which can balance out the exp loss

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a shortcut to the surface from the Forgotten City or around there? Daimon is chewing my rear end up and I want to try coming back with better supplies, but I don't want to go through the Bloodless Stockade again if I can avoid it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sorry, the only shortcut from there is after you clear Daimon's chamber, and it's only one way. Fortunately if you have a goodly amount of stamina (or plenty of mushroom/meat) then racing back to where you are now, skipping all the fights, takes maybe five minutes.

edit: Okay, Ranger Tenfold Flurry + Conquerer's Periapt + Blast Arrow definitely makes a Daimon run into a complete cakewalk. After defeating him fair as a Warrior I think I'm entitled to easy street for a bit.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 17, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I changed my main pawn's (currently a Strider) inclination to Challenger/Scather with Utilitarian as the "hidden" inclination and holy hell, she turned into a goddamn blender while zipping around the battlefield :stare:. It'll be interesting to see how this inclination setup will work when I turn her back into a fighter but for now she's really drat effective.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Just swapped my sorc to MA, holy poo poo hunter bolt is amazing for ur-dragon :stare:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Thanks, thread. Since nobody seemed to be having any save bugs, I connected to XBox Live and downloaded a title update. It wiped my save game! I didn't lose much progress, but its still annoying starting from the beginning.

Guess I'll try themed characters, like Adenture Time (Finn/Ice King) or Elric.

Edit: I can get online, so add me. XBOX, Gamertag is Chris Brimstone, character is Finn, pawn is Ice King

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 17, 2013

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
If anyone wants to trade pawns for Daimon runs and general BBI farm, let me know. Your class, spec and inclination doesn't matter, just bring my warrior pack mule along with you and I'll do the same. PSN: PennyAwful, holla

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks a lot Prism_Pink, pawn came back with some great gear and 80,000RC just as I started needing tonnes of it in BBI :3:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Quick question... I have like 200k RC, and I haven't spent any of it other than to change my pawn's inclinations, which is cheap. Do you start using it in BBI for other things?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Flumpus posted:

Quick question... I have like 200k RC, and I haven't spent any of it other than to change my pawn's inclinations, which is cheap. Do you start using it in BBI for other things?

Yes, lots of stuff. Fixing riftstones, purifying items, etc.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Dosvidanya posted:

Your exp gets hampered the higher level pawns you have compared to your own level so as long as you're ok with leveling slower, go for it.

No I meant, the pawns I have are level 15 and 8 (to my 16), they're just the strongest ones at that level that I could find without having to pay Rift Crystals to rent them out (I'm wanting to save Rift Crystals and not spend them on pawn rental). Does that still affect experience, or am I still alright?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

CVagts posted:

No I meant, the pawns I have are level 15 and 8 (to my 16), they're just the strongest ones at that level that I could find without having to pay Rift Crystals to rent them out (I'm wanting to save Rift Crystals and not spend them on pawn rental). Does that still affect experience, or am I still alright?

No, that's fine. The EXP penalty only applies when they are higher level than you.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

CVagts posted:

Don't forget that pawns of friends cost 0RC, go to the spreadsheet and send a bunch of friend requests and get some pawns.

Do higher level pawns really affect experience gain? I can't find anything that says that (though there is a bonus if pawns are much lower level).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Murodese posted:

Yes, lots of stuff. Fixing riftstones, purifying items, etc.
Most of the stuff you'll need RC for is quite cheap. Rarefying, purifying lv 1 and lv 2 stuff, etc. It's when you get to the end of BBI that the RC costs on lv 3 purifications rise to like 25k for weapons. Since you need to keep purifying to keep your cursed seed moving you'll be spending a lot of RC and noticing your stores drop a bit.

Lots of stuff in BBI drop RC as well though to partially compensate.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Alright cool, I'll check that out and add mine to the list.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Hey all, been playing this in Afghanistan, and now that I'm home on a solid connection that ur-dragon whooped my rear end. I'm throwing myself on the spreadsheet.

Xbox 360 GT Cowboybot

I made my pawn my son, so we could go on adventures together in the middle east, and it's based off his D&D character, so don't worry about partying with a 12 yr old.

Gonna send some friend requests out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Murodese posted:

Don't forget that pawns of friends cost 0RC, go to the spreadsheet and send a bunch of friend requests and get some pawns.

Do higher level pawns really affect experience gain? I can't find anything that says that (though there is a bonus if pawns are much lower level).

They absolutely do. In fact, just today I was doing some afk vocation leveling in the usual spot on a level 40-ish character, and was getting around 60xp per kill with a level 83 pawn tagging along. When I ditched him for a pawn that was my level, I started getting a bit over 80xp per kill.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Murodese posted:

Thanks a lot Prism_Pink, pawn came back with some great gear and 80,000RC just as I started needing tonnes of it in BBI :3:

Hey no problem, used him from lvl 23 to 43 and he was super useful the whole way even at lvl 30! :3:
I've made some brief forays into BBI but that room with the Gorecyclops is just :stare: I take it at lvl 47 I shouldn't even been going as far as that?

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Prism_Pink posted:

Hey no problem, used him from lvl 23 to 43 and he was super useful the whole way even at lvl 30! :3:
I've made some brief forays into BBI but that room with the Gorecyclops is just :stare: I take it at lvl 47 I shouldn't even been going as far as that?

I went there at 56 or so as a decked out assassin (vanilla gear anyway) and I probably spent 15 minutes shooting him with arrows. They're definitely one of the spongier guys in BBI, but that one is no biggie, just cheese him with ranged from up above.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I still haven't found a better melee option for fighting prisoner gorecyclops than just cutting up their ankles. Climbing is so painful because of the massive stamina hits whenever he spazzes out, and if you get to his face it's really dicey to actually stay there. I know there's a sweet spot around his teeth where he won't grab you but it's so hard to position when he's going nuts. Thankfully once you get enough power you can chain stun him up but you need an egregious amount of power to do it before he grabs you.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My goodness Ricochet Shot wrecks Eliminators. Their placement in cramped quarters really works against them.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How gimped am I if I try to play MA when I've never played as mage/sorc at all? Last time I tried it I wrecked normal enemies but the bigger enemies/bosses took basically no damage.

Also I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong. I've primarily played as strider/assassin, and I'm level 100 with red DF gear. Currently as a ranger using the gear from the moonbeam gem doors, I feel like the big bads in BBI just shrug off my attacks. I've basically been carried through most of the early content by a pimped out sorc who takes off multiple bars of boss health at once. Am I completely guessing the elemental weaknesses wrong or something? It took longer than I would like to admit to kill the prisoner cyclops.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I got the Dragon's Breath magic bow when I beat the dragon, and just found Dragon's Quickening in the Everfall. From what I've read people say Dragon's Quickening is the best magic bow in the vanilla game (may be better in BBI, probably is), but it looks worse from what I'm seeing. Is it only better at Dragon Forged levels? Or is there some stat I'm missing when I look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I still haven't found a better melee option for fighting prisoner gorecyclops than just cutting up their ankles. Climbing is so painful because of the massive stamina hits whenever he spazzes out, and if you get to his face it's really dicey to actually stay there. I know there's a sweet spot around his teeth where he won't grab you but it's so hard to position when he's going nuts. Thankfully once you get enough power you can chain stun him up but you need an egregious amount of power to do it before he grabs you.

There's also a spot just at the border of his head and neck where I don't think he'll grab you, but actually getting in that sweet spot is probably more difficult than climbing between his teeth (which I didn't know!) so yeah, melee is literally the baby class (because they're ankle-biters, you see). That said, once he starts stomping his pattern is very recognizable and you shouldn't get hit that much.

That said that said, I took on a thunderwyrm yesterday with my new Devil's Nail and every other hit (sometimes every hit) would instantly stun the beast and just positively wrecked him, but I fought four gorecyclopes in the upstairs "random boss" room and when they enraged they became basically impossible to stun. Gorecyclopes are stupid tough.

• Locked thread