Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

My one rep max on the bench is in the 320's or 330's depending on whether or not I did any sets before I put it up. I really hope that isn't anywhere close to the highest max in GiP. My lifting buddy maxes out around 480.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I hit 265 on a whim about 3 months ago at 175 lb. It's just a lift i don't push much since I don't lift with anyone.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Captain Amerikkka posted:

You're a loving captain. You should know better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Veins McGee posted:

Is there an officer in GIP who benches more than Deathy's bitch rear end?

Before I got crippled, yes. Now I would have trouble putting that much on the bar but I'm sure I could again with a little bit of time. Deathy and I ate at Jr Seau's restaurant once and drank after. He's an A-ok guy in my book.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Actually read my post where I explained, point-by-point, how I "know better" and got my poo poo checked I'm actually doing what the doctor told me to.

tia

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

holocaust bloopers posted:

I might take up boxing. Boxing seems cool although I would want to avoid having my face beat in by a 135 lb mexican kid.

You can do the actual boxing training part without actually fighting with anyone.

Or maybe you want to just punch some dude's in the face, which is cool, but the workouts are hard as gently caress and not horribly damaging which is awesome. So don't feel the need to go against the flyweight champion of the corner block or anything.

Downside: you may get laughed at behind your back for being a pussy.

Upside: you won't get parkinson's.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
But the punching part is the best.

I'm looking at joining the local ju jitsu fighthouse. One of my dudes who does amateur MMA fights there and he says it's pretty legit. It's like 90 bucks a month so no worries on the money, but I'm just not sure I want to take the time to go train there every evening after work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martello posted:

Maybe? What does he lift? I was repping 265 when I injured myself originally. I thought psydude lifted a lot too?

I haven't done bar bench in a while, but I currently rep 200 on dumbbell bench so I'm probably around there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

I might take up boxing. Boxing seems cool although I would want to avoid having my face beat in by a 135 lb mexican kid.

You missed your chance to beat up on Barber! I've never seen you, but I'm confident you could take him. He punched me once and I was unimpressed...he's too light to have a lot behind it. He fights girls ffs.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

You missed your chance to beat up on Barber! I've never seen you, but I'm confident you could take him. He punched me once and I was unimpressed...he's too light to have a lot behind it. He fights girls ffs.

Oooohhhhhhh that guy!! He could hide behind my frame, yea. PM incoming.

not caring here posted:

You can do the actual boxing training part without actually fighting with anyone.

Or maybe you want to just punch some dude's in the face, which is cool, but the workouts are hard as gently caress and not horribly damaging which is awesome. So don't feel the need to go against the flyweight champion of the corner block or anything.

Downside: you may get laughed at behind your back for being a pussy.

Upside: you won't get parkinson's.

Ya I'm gonna take a break from powerlifting and do boxing for a bit. There's some reputable gyms around me now so might as well.

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 8, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Took a week off; hit a 245 triple bench PR. Nice.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I know a guy doing D-bol. He refuses to lift while on it because he has bad shoulders and does crossfit instead. It makes no sense to me. :confused:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Kaliber posted:

I know a guy doing D-bol. He refuses to lift while on it because he has bad shoulders and does crossfit instead. It makes no sense to me. :confused:

It is like a cult of stupidity and ignorance.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

smertrioslol posted:

It is like a cult of stupidity and ignorance.

Explains why so many mil dudes love it!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Dropping a Ranger packet. Pre-Ranger on 02 August. Oh poo poo. What am I getting into? Running like a mofo...

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ashmole posted:

Dropping a Ranger packet. Pre-Ranger on 02 August. Oh poo poo. What am I getting into? Running like a mofo...

Be prepared to starve. Ranger graduations look like Auschwitz reunions.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

You'll be fine. Just don't quit. Nothing you do there is especially hard or crazy or unreasonable. It's a marathon, just don't quit.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Right now I weigh 205 and my hair touches my eyebrows in the front if I don't comb it.

When I graduated Ranger School (no recycles :smuggo:) I weighed 150 and my head was shaved.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
FYI if you are really cool you act shocked when someone mentions your hair is too long, not that they don't.

:smug:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

They want me to do a 5 mile run in 35 minutes at some point. Oh gently caress...

Also, found out that I might not be able to go to Ranger because you need normal color vision. I'm doing the follow up eye appointment soon.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Why the gently caress do you need color vision to go to Ranger School?

It's 5 in 40, so maybe they're just trying to get you well under the time standard to make sure you don't fail. I ran it in 32 back in the day, which I could absolutely never do right now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martello posted:

I ran it in 32 back in the day, which I could absolutely never do right now.

That's legitimately impressive.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Sad part is I still couldn't get under 13 for the 2-mile. Not sure how that's possible.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I did the ten miles on Bragg in less than an hour and a half. :smug: Never again!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Martello posted:

Why the gently caress do you need color vision to go to Ranger School?

It's 5 in 40, so maybe they're just trying to get you well under the time standard to make sure you don't fail. I ran it in 32 back in the day, which I could absolutely never do right now.

I did the alternate one and the dude handjammed me basically. He was like "yeah that's more for airborne poo poo and if you're in the batt, but you're 19 series so it doesn't matter" Cool dude.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Peak physical condition me used to do 33-34 minute 5 miles and 42-43 minute 6 mile runs because all we loving did was run. I was also certifiably retarded then too.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Certifiably full of heart :mil101:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Peak physical condition me used to do 33-34 minute 5 miles and 42-43 minute 6 mile runs because all we loving did was run. I was also certifiably retarded then too.

Gotta make it as far as possible with those bangalores before you're liquefied by artillery.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I just did a 4 mile fartlek run in 29 minutes, so my pace isn't too terrible.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

psydude posted:

Gotta make it as far as possible with those bangalores before you're liquefied by artillery.

Gonna write this one down, only if for epitomizing my hatred of running in the day and age of mechanized warfare.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Thump! posted:

Gonna write this one down, only if for epitomizing my hatred of running in the day and age of mechanized warfare.

FWIW most of the world hasn't really entered that age yet.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Does anyone know some good drills or workouts to help me ruck faster? At just a rucking pace, I can do like 3.5 miles in an hour with a 65lb pack. I have to run-walk-run in order to get under that.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I'm currently struggling with the same thing. I've been doing retarded weight 1-2 times a week (running a sub 13 mile/min mostly, which is still slow for ruck running) for the past few months and really haven't managed any improvement on time. What sucks about this is when I get too exhausted to run, I just fall apart because I haven't trained myself to walk fast.

I'm going to be taking a similar approach to my running by doing shorter intervals at sustainable speeds (starting with no weight, just wearing boots), and keeping a close track on maintaining a pre-determined pace. I know it's possible to walk sub 14, 13, and even 12 minute miles with a hefty ruck because I've seen people do it. It's just a matter of practicing the correct walking form (leg strut, arm swing , and lean), and progressing in distance and weight once you get it down.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

elite_garbage_man posted:

I'm currently struggling with the same thing. I've been doing retarded weight 1-2 times a week (running a sub 13 mile/min mostly, which is still slow for ruck running) for the past few months and really haven't managed any improvement on time. What sucks about this is when I get too exhausted to run, I just fall apart because I haven't trained myself to walk fast.

I'm going to be taking a similar approach to my running by doing shorter intervals at sustainable speeds (starting with no weight, just wearing boots), and keeping a close track on maintaining a pre-determined pace. I know it's possible to walk sub 14, 13, and even 12 minute miles with a hefty ruck because I've seen people do it. It's just a matter of practicing the correct walking form (leg strut, arm swing , and lean), and progressing in distance and weight once you get it down.

I figure that it's a technique issue. The fastest ruck I ever did was 5 miles in just under an hour because the guy leading it had a very peculiar way of rucking. They say to use your hips a lot, but I'm still figuring out how to "activate" my hips.

The weights not an issue for me. The heavy squats and deadlifts I do have made it so that the ruck feels like nothing to me which is a good improvement.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

ruck running is really bad for you. learn to swing your hips

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Was going to deadlift using regular old American lb plates but I switched it up to kg plates.

muscles so confused lol

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

Been hitting the gym lately, check my form.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

i guess that's one way to confuse your muscles.... and spine. my back hurts just watching

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

warsow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

Been hitting the gym lately, check my form.

:wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
I want to see these people 15-20 years from now all wheelchair bound. :getin: