Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

~Coxy posted:

Have you considered a short delay between each speech bubble appearing?
It looks good, but it seems a little jarring when you ask a question but immediately get both a response and your character's next line on screen at the exact same time.
Any delay there would infuriate half the players, easily. It would feel the same as a dialog roll that types itself out at a fixed rate, only without that typing for visual feedback as to why there's no dialog selections available (and all the same problems of no one speed making everyone happy). So, yes, I considered, but I don't think it's viable.

It'll be a bit less jarring once the keywords are in a different colored bubble / obviously distinct from the dialog. Right now, your eye gets pulled in both directions, as it isn't immediately obvious which is the talky part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Shalinor posted:

Any delay there would infuriate half the players, easily.

It doesn't have to be a long delay, just a short, 1/2 second delay would give you an idea of the flow of it.

How did COMI do it, did they really show dialog choices at the same time as the responses?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Perhaps one can cancel the delay on user input? Even staggering the messages by half a second would be almost imprescriptible in terms of gameplay, but would make it much easier to read.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah there should be like a 30ms delay on the response bubble. Not long enough to possibly cost reading time, just animation flow.

edit: Like, don't wait for the first one to expand before starting to expand the second, just expand them both at the same time with a tiny tiny fraction difference.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

Yeah there should be like a 30ms delay on the response bubble. Not long enough to possibly cost reading time, just animation flow.

edit: Like, don't wait for the first one to expand before starting to expand the second, just expand them both at the same time with a tiny tiny fraction difference.
Oh, gotcha, gotcha. Thought you guys were meaning a longer delay to approximate a conversation. Yeah, I can experiment with it. Color comes first, though - as does changing that font, bleh.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Man, you guys are working on some awesome stuff. Making a C&C themed game? Yesssssss. Anyway, for the past couple of weeks I've been working in the night hours, learning objective c and writing a small app, called 'FirmaSkat', that my wife came up with the idea for. It's very simple: given the correct parameters in the settings screen, it can help calculate vat and tax owed, and amount payable, taking into account personal deductibles and such, if you are a one-man firm. This first iteration only knows about Danish tax laws and the UI is written in Danish. Our target audience being so very very small, it will never come even remotely close to earning back the Apple developer yearly license, but that's okay, I did it as a challenge, just to see if I could.

It got into the AppStore on the first try, yay! Didn't really expect that, being so inexperienced in objective c and xcode. You can see a screenshot here (my hosting):

The image links to the AppStore where there are more screenshots. But it is very simple as you see. The biggest challenge was probably learning about data storage and migration, and well, xcode's very special way of tying backend code to the presentation layer. When you come from .NET and Visual Studio, it quickly becomes pretty clear how far behind the curve objective c and xcode are (oh so far). But it was still more fun than frustrating, getting around all the quirks and kinks.

The are all kinds of xcode wizards roaming this subforum, but if you want to ask some questions about getting onto the AppStore from a more "mom & pop shop" perspective, feel free :-) In my day job I work as a technical middle manager dude, developing (mainly the windows bits of an) enterprise travel and health insurance solution.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Rnr posted:

writing a small app, called 'FirmaSkat'

I love that Skat is the Danish word for tax (right?) Particularly as it means you pay your taxes to the Skatman.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Jonnty posted:

I love that Skat is the Danish word for tax (right?) Particularly as it means you pay your taxes to the Skatman.

Yes, that's right, we tend not to make that connection tho *shudder*. Also, in Danish it can mean all of "tax", "treasure", "honey" (as an expression of affection) and more! Mad language.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jonnty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnQCk0u49w

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Precisely :)

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Shalinor posted:

You're eventually going to redo the character sprite too, right?

It almost fits with some of the new tiles, but, it's still very obviously a painted-over Metroid sprite. Can't tell if it's final or not.

EDIT: Crossposting from the design thread. This took way longer than it should have, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. First time I've written a dialog system. Yes, that font needs to go. Doesn't really work :(

The font would probably work better if the shadow was oriented the same as the bubble shadows.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Luminous posted:

The font would probably work better if the shadow was oriented the same as the bubble shadows.
Wouldn't really work. The bubbles are a 3D object - their "shadow" changes depending on their screen position. The text shadow, on the other hand, is just a shadow, and it really doesn't read right but at certain angles/offsets. I'd need the text to be geometrical 3D to pull off what you've got in mind. Which'd be awesome, but really isn't worth the time it'd take to make such a system.

The problem is more that the font period is bleh. It's going away.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I finally managed to get a new release of BeagleSNES out. This one has full support for the BeagleBone Black in it. A gentleman from TI was speaking with me about my work via e-mail and asking me for assistance because he was tinkering around with my previously released work and trying to get it built on the BeagleBone Black. I took that as an indication that I needed to hurry up and get a new release out. Here is the trailer video that shows off the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuwP4Nd26C4

I forget who asked me if Plok! ran under BeagleSNES, so I tracked the game down and used it in the trailer. The answer to the question is "it works really well!"

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shalinor posted:

Oh, gotcha, gotcha. Thought you guys were meaning a longer delay to approximate a conversation. Yeah, I can experiment with it. Color comes first, though - as does changing that font, bleh.
Personally I would have only one character talking at a time, much like in any other game. Having multiple speech show up at once, even with a small delay, gives the impression they're talking on top of one another (which might be something you actually wanna do intentionally at some point).

Constantly having to switch between reading bubbles on the top and the bottom is also jarring. Maybe keep all the speech bubbles on the top, and action bubbles on the bottom? That would make it more distinct.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SupSuper posted:

Personally I would have only one character talking at a time, much like in any other game. Having multiple speech show up at once, even with a small delay, gives the impression they're talking on top of one another (which might be something you actually wanna do intentionally at some point).

Constantly having to switch between reading bubbles on the top and the bottom is also jarring. Maybe keep all the speech bubbles on the top, and action bubbles on the bottom? That would make it more distinct.
Uh, that's how it is right now ;) the bubbles at the bottom aren't speech, those are the keywords the player is choosing. Or am I misunderstanding? (If not - that confusion is why I need to tint the keyword bubble, etc)

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Launched my baby postcard app:

http://babygra.ms

So far, reception has been really positive!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Uh, that's how it is right now ;) the bubbles at the bottom aren't speech, those are the keywords the player is choosing. Or am I misunderstanding? (If not - that confusion is why I need to tint the keyword bubble, etc)

They look the same, have the same font and colors, and pop in/out with the same animation. Regardless it's still jarring that your reaction choices to what the NPC says pop up immediately. At the very least it needs to be Open NPC dialog -> NPC dialog finishes expanding -> Open player dialog.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

They look the same, have the same font and colors, and pop in/out with the same animation. Regardless it's still jarring that your reaction choices to what the NPC says pop up immediately. At the very least it needs to be Open NPC dialog -> NPC dialog finishes expanding -> Open player dialog.

I guess the thing boils down to the fact that the player has to read the NPC's dialog to make a decision, so there's really no reason not to delay the decision dialog, as you're not going to be able to process or decide on that without reading the text anyway. Give it a .5-1 second delay imo, it'd help monumentally.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I took a picture of my BeagleBone Black running BeagleSNES next to an actual SNES cartridge and the gamepad.

One of these days, I need to cram that board inside of an SNES cartridge casing and print up an awesome label for it...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Shalinor posted:

Maybe have the "stuff you're going to say" bubble be a thought bubble, at least until you select the dialog option?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maybe have the "stuff you're going to say" bubble be a thought bubble, at least until you select the dialog option?
It doesn't quite work that way. The second you press the speech bubble, it disappears. There is no "saying it." Clicking it says it, the bubble disappears, and it instantly moves you to the next conversation node (with new keywords).

As brought up in the other thread, I can put a slight delay in there between the speech bubble and the response keywords, so break it up, but I can't put a full on "wait while they talk" delay in. That only works if you do the dialog typing effect, and even then, drives a good half your players up the wall / it's never the right speed for everyone. Besides, the typing effect looks really weird with conversation bubbles, especially centered-text ones that conform to dialog size - kind of a non-starter, it only works in a text window-style dialog.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 17, 2013

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shalinor posted:

Huh, I thought the bubbles at the bottom were only a choice when they had the < > arrows. The others looked like regular speech, and it doesn't seem like much of a choice if there's only "one" of it.

In any case I would just have one bubble up at a time and skippable with keys like any other adventure-ish game, where even choices only show up after dialogue. At least I'm not that fussed about the font. :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Shalinor posted:

It doesn't quite work that way. The second you press the speech bubble, it disappears. There is no "saying it." Clicking it says it, the bubble disappears, and it instantly moves you to the next conversation node (with new keywords).

Sorry, to explain more, I was thinking something like so:
  • Speech bubble for the NPC pops up
  • ~100ms later, a thought bubble for the player pops up
  • Player picks a dialog choice
  • Thought bubble fades into a speech bubble
  • Both NPC and player speech bubbles fade out
  • Repeat

You could pretty easily add some transitions like that and keep the added time spent under a second. Another option instead of "thought bubble" would be to have a translucent speech bubble for stuff you haven't said yet, or give them a dotted outline.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

I'm working on an open-source, canvas based library for interactive plotting in the browser called bokeh.js. Bokeh.js is actually just the frontend portion (or backend depending on what direction you look from!) of a larger system. We are working on python bindings right now as well, and hopefully other languages in the future. (Click on images to see live plots on the github project page.)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Avenging Dentist posted:

Sorry, to explain more, I was thinking something like so:
  • Speech bubble for the NPC pops up
  • ~100ms later, a thought bubble for the player pops up
  • Player picks a dialog choice
  • Thought bubble fades into a speech bubble
  • Both NPC and player speech bubbles fade out
  • Repeat

You could pretty easily add some transitions like that and keep the added time spent under a second. Another option instead of "thought bubble" would be to have a translucent speech bubble for stuff you haven't said yet, or give them a dotted outline.
Eeeh. That's a ton of delays / players would be mashing A to death. We shall see - it might work better once there's at least sounds associated with each line. Definitely not going to fiddle with it that in-depth for the moment. Did find a better font, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't really think the perspective font bubbles are working out very well. The kerning is all off in that one screenshot. Going with something that just positions a 2D bubble on top might be a better alternative.

Also, I'm going to say that a tiny delay would be good. You can just make the two animations start at the same time and have the second one end a bit later, and make it so that hitting A would snap the animation to the end.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I like the flat boxes better too. The 3D boxes are distracting and harder to read, somehow.

Kerning looks fine to me in that screenshot, which letters look wrong to you?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's probably more of the inconsistent line width like in the "i"s or the "h" in "have", compared to the "p" in "pays".

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The ly in mostly is also ugly.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

'st' in 'Mostly' has too much and 're' in 'caricatures' has too little. Also I hate that capital-I so much :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Honestly, I appreciate the feedback, but, the 3d font bubbles aren't going anywhere. Sorry guys. ;)

EDIT: VV as in, I'm not dropping to 2D bubbles. Everything else is still in flux, though - and I'm not likely to do much more visually until the rest of the art is further along. Polishing these in a void would be a bad idea. Even the font might change again, but it's good enough now to move forward at least.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 18, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Uh, do you mean "aren't going anywhere where I want them to go" or "aren't going anywhere, they're staying"? I'm assuming the latter, but stupid ambiguous English...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think I'd like the 3D speech box better if it wasn't for the big fat wedge on it. What about having the speech bubble attached to the character doing the talking by a thin spline curve (like a balloon attached by a string)?

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
Have you thought about using thought bubbles instead of straight-dialog balloons? You step through his thoughts, pick one, and you can do a bit more top to bottom flow to help illustrate the flow of conversation.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Inevitable Ross posted:

Have you thought about using thought bubbles instead of straight-dialog balloons? You step through his thoughts, pick one, and you can do a bit more top to bottom flow to help illustrate the flow of conversation.
The dialog balloons for keywords are more or less placeholder. I'm still not sure how the keyword selection will look bubble-wise, but it'll be a bit different.

Thought bubbles in particular are problematic for two big reasons, though. First, thought bubbles done with 3D cubes look less like bubbles and more like a cubic mess. Second, thought bubbles need to be above the player to read as "thoughts" (it's like the lightbulb over the head, it has to be over the head, we're used to it) - but if I put it up top, it'll be colliding/overlapping the chat bubble from whoever you're talking to. Still, a simple white bubble with cubes cut out of the corners to "round" it, set below the player, might be enough to allude to that without getting crazy, even if it doesn't really read as a thought bubble so much as a detached UI element.

... anyways, like I said, it's way, way too early to polish the aesthetics on these. The characters are still placeholder, standing in front of a greybox building, all of which lit with placeholder lighting. It won't be clear what works within the rest of the scene until everything else is further along. The big thing is, dialog works, bubbles work, and you can navigate dialog. Now, I can work on all the stuff that dialog triggers, and start making playable environments.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 18, 2013

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

lord funk posted:

Making a nub for better number entry on the iPad. There are three sliding areas for adjusting the value at different scales (1, 0.1, 0.01). Double-tap to reset.

edit: drat that first gif was sped up

This is super cool - I've been experimenting with arbitrarily precise UI controls (APUICs i have been callin em) too.

Still got to figure out some way of making this functionality obvious to a user - it's super important on the iPhone where these sliders are just barely bigger than the Apple HIG recommended control size.

Now that I think about it those A, D & R sliders should probably be logarithmic in value, too.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I think I'm going to try to make a tempo dial which snaps to ever-increasingly granular values the further you drag away from it - i.e. going from multiples of 32 [128, 160, 192] to [128, 144, 160] all the way down to [128, 129, 130] etc - the idea being that the hit space for each value is sized and positioned closer to the dial relative to how commonly (I imagine) it might be selected.

A bit like this, but wrapped around the outside of the dial.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Started playing around with uLink for Unity3D. After mucking around with it for a couple nights I'm starting to get a grasp on how it works and managed to created a fairly basic authoritative server setup. Wanted to do a nice stress test so I created 1000 moving NPCs on the server. This is what the server looks like from a top down perspective:

This is what it looks as the client:

The server handles all the movement and updates the client. I doubt something like this is feasible in a real game with actual models but it's fun to play around with.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

duck pond posted:

This is super cool - I've been experimenting with arbitrarily precise UI controls (APUICs i have been callin em) too.

Still got to figure out some way of making this functionality obvious to a user - it's super important on the iPhone where these sliders are just barely bigger than the Apple HIG recommended control size.

Now that I think about it those A, D & R sliders should probably be logarithmic in value, too.

Would having a line drawn from the cursor (Or fingertip if its a mobile app) that stems from the ADSR slider and changes colour the more to the right, and more precise it gets, work?

Maybe even showing a small numeric indicator to tell the user how much less the bar is being adjusted by the further out they go could work.

I'm not sure how much of a hit either of those would take on performance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I have been thinking about doing something 'sticky' - perhaps a curvy spliney thing that extends out from the slider.

Currently I simply scale the slider's value with the touch's x position, but perhaps this approach would work better with x squared. (I tried this already, it didn't 'feel' right, but maybe it will with a visual indicator of some kind).

(Quick PS mockup)

Tbh this would probably make more sense on a dial than a slider.

Shouldn't be much of a hit on performance as I'm just drawing everything with Core Graphics.