Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

kater posted:

Is he really still working on games? That's pretty loving cool.

This is still a bizarre video though.

He still is a consultant on HAL titles like Kirby and I guess does some consultant work on major titles. Iwata was a bit of a prodigy in Japan when it came to game design. That's why he moved up the corporate ladder so fast.

I still believe the reason we don't see Earthbound titles is because he hated working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

the best news is that pikmin 3 can use the pro controller and doesn't have a clock based timer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Put the demos on the store you stupid, stupid morons.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well that Direct sucked total rear end.

Ugh all the games I want are releasing a full month behind other regions and I have friends who just blab spoilers. What the gently caress Nintendo :cripes:

Edit: Even Pikmin? God loving dammit that boils my piss.

Wait I can just have the games shipped to me, 3ds and wii-u isn't region locked right? :suicide:

Pixeltendo posted:

the best news is that pikmin 3 can use the pro controller and doesn't have a clock based timer.

Preeeetty sure they said that it's still only from morning to dusk unless I misheard them talking about it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Random thought: since the Directs are pre-recorded, why do they bother streaming them instead of just throwing them up on Youtube/NicoNico right off the bat?

And this trend of NA getting stuff later sucks big time. We always get games before the Euros, Nintendo. That's just the way it's meant to be :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pixeltendo posted:

Instead it's Don't Starve, Pikmin Edition. Don't know how forgiving the food system will be until it out through.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crowbear posted:

Random thought: since the Directs are pre-recorded, why do they bother streaming them instead of just throwing them up on Youtube/NicoNico right off the bat?

And this trend of NA getting stuff later sucks big time. We always get games before the Euros, Nintendo. That's just the way it's meant to be :colbert:

Probably to stop people from skipping ahead and ruining whatever surprise. :shrug:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Strange Quark posted:

Probably to stop people from skipping ahead and ruining whatever surprise. :shrug:

That totally makes sense, actually.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's my sloppy Japanese rundown:

-SEGA Direct! What?! Nagoshi is there, leopard-print backdrop, Iwata/Nagoshi flashing jewellery. OH MY GOD.

-Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U! Off-screen play, map doohickeys... nothing drastically different, as far as I can tell.

-Nagoshi is talking to the camera... should probably pay attention. The leopard-print backdrop is throwing me off.

-Iwata's back; they're chatting about the style of the game, the scale of the world, the characters, etc.

-Yakuza 1&2 HD out in Japan on August 8.

-Trailer for The Cave (Sega/Double Fine, Wii U eShop), out "2013"

-Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2 (3DS) overview/trailer, out "2013"

-Pics of Miku and Luigi at some real-life event? Okay.

-Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics 2014! (Wii U/3DS) Same old poo poo, but prettier. Didn't catch a date.

-Sonic: Lost World! (Wii U/3DS) Just a still piece of art and a teaser for E3.

-SEGA Direct is over, no more leopard print/bling. Aww.

-LEGO City Undercover overview/trailer. Nintendo handled the Japanese localisation. Out July 25.

-Resident Evil Revelations HD overview/trailer. Out May 23, demo on eShop now.

-New Super Luigi U (NSMBU DLC expansion) overview/trailer. Playable Nabbit?! Out June 16, 2100yen DLC.

-New Super Luigi U retail release! ~3800yen, out July 13.

-Wonderful 101! Out August 24. Stream's skipping.. omething about Kamiya and E3.

-Pikmin 3 overview/trailer; lots of new footage, discussion of different control schemes, etc. Out July 13.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I wanna hang out with Miku and Luigi.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

greatn posted:

Put the demos on the store you stupid, stupid morons.

All the cool cats hang out at the Best Buy, why don't you just bop on down to your local store like everyone else?? After some five year old gets done abusing the machine then maybe just maybe you'll get a chance to try the demos assuming the TV its hooked up to even works.

Once you've played your fill you can meet Archie and Jughead at the malt shop for a burger and egg cream soda.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait I can just have the games shipped to me, 3ds and wii-u isn't region locked right? :suicide:

Preeeetty sure they said that it's still only from morning to dusk unless I misheard them talking about it.

I meant that it doesn't use a timer like it did in the old E3 footage, and there isn't a 30 day limit either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's fairly easy to spoof the Best Buy/Nintendo Zone 3DS app into letting you download the demos remotely, from what I gather.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

All the cool cats hang out at the Best Buy, why don't you just bop on down to your local store like everyone else?? After some five year old gets done abusing the machine then maybe just maybe you'll get a chance to try the demos assuming the TV its hooked up to even works.

Once you've played your fill you can meet Archie and Jughead at the malt shop for a burger and egg cream soda.

I'm not allowed in the malt shop anymore. The Punisher made sure of that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Since the issue with Wii U is no one is buying the console, I think I can understand the logic of the bestbuy demos.

That said, its super lame that the demos arent gonna be in the eshop.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

greatn posted:

I would buy an Archie meets The Punisher game :colbert: "Sneak through the factory and gather burgers for Jughead! While Archie finds the burgers track down and violently kill the gang leader with an electric drill!"

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Probably the most "boring" Direct, but still some solid info. I was pleasantly surprised at the Luigi U price point.

Wonderful 101 not coming to NA until September did make me go :raise: though.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm really excited about a new Sonic game. I'm also really excited that I am capable of being excited for a new Sonic game again. :unsmith:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nothing here nearly as exciting as the previous Direct. Pretty dull all around, which is exactly what I'd expect this close to E3. Nintendo's going to sell this console or not based on a really solid E3 showing, so they'd better not half-rear end it like they've been doing if they wanna move systems.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D looks dope, but nothing else for the 3DS got me all that excited. I guess playing Oracle of Seasons/Ages is neat, I guess. Pikmin 3 is cool, but I'm not sure if it'd sell me on a Wii U. Bayonetta 2 would, and the Wonderful 101 has Kamiya behind it so, honestly, I expect to love it no matter what.

Regarding Iwata: what game(s) is he well known for designing/working on? Somebody mentioned he was a sort of game design prodigy?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RentCavalier posted:

Regarding Iwata: what game(s) is he well known for designing/working on? Somebody mentioned he was a sort of game design prodigy?

Pretty much every HAL product (Kirby, Mario Party) as well as Earthbound. He has also had input on all of the modern Mario and Zelda titles. He helped create Balloon Fight, which I think was one of his first products. I believe he had a major part in Wii Sports too.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man I just realized the Wonderful 101 release date in the US is 2 days before GTA V. Poor Platinum can't catch a break.

e: Confirmation of no Fifa on Wii U this year: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-madden-nfl-25-the-latest-ea-game-to-skip-wii-u-what-now-for-fifa-14

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 17, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crowbear posted:

Man I just realized the Wonderful 101 release date in the US is 2 days before GTA V. Poor Platinum can't catch a break.

At least theyre for different systems. That's gotta count for something.

Zaii posted:

I think it's time I traded in the console while it's still worth something. The first time I've ever traded in one of my consoles, feels bad man.

Dont! Have you never seen people complaining that "Oh no! GAME is coming out on SYSTEM, but I already got rid of my SYSTEM and now I have to rebuy it because this game is incredible!" Ive seen it far too often with Nintendo early adopters. You really might as well keep it even if you wont be playing with it, because you know a few things you cant live without will come out down the road and then youll kick yourself

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 17, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When is E3 anyway?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

When is E3 anyway?

The big conferences are on June 10th. E3 proper starts the next day.

Gutcruncher posted:

At least theyre for different systems. That's gotta count for something.

Sure, but there's still probably a fair number of people that own 2 consoles. Also there's no chance of it getting any significant hype leading up to release going against one of the most popular series ever that also happens to have one of the biggest marketing budgets in the industry.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 17, 2013

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Nothing here nearly as exciting as the previous Direct. Pretty dull all around, which is exactly what I'd expect this close to E3. Nintendo's going to sell this console or not based on a really solid E3 showing, so they'd better not half-rear end it like they've been doing if they wanna move systems.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D looks dope, but nothing else for the 3DS got me all that excited. I guess playing Oracle of Seasons/Ages is neat, I guess. Pikmin 3 is cool, but I'm not sure if it'd sell me on a Wii U. Bayonetta 2 would, and the Wonderful 101 has Kamiya behind it so, honestly, I expect to love it no matter what.

I remember an Iwata Asks mentioning him being one of the only programmers on the original Super Mario Bros and freaking out when Miyamoto told him to completely fill up the cartridge.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
What parent is going to buy New Mario U for their kid when they can get New Luigi U for half the cost?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Read: Oh poo poo, people are not happy we threw them Pikmin and a bunch of crap no-one cares about..must say something!

The should have just devoted 15 min to one of the big frst party titles and blew people away

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What parent is going to buy New Mario U for their kid when they can get New Luigi U for half the cost?

"If Luigi is in this and not Mario, it CAN'T be as good."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

nerdbot posted:

"If Luigi is in this and not Mario, it CAN'T be as good."

A precedent that Mario is Missing set that Luigi's Mansion broke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You guys realize that the reason Best Buy is getting E3 demos isn't because Nintendo didn't realize that people would want to play them, it was because Best Buy pulled up outside Nintendo headquarters with a dump truck full of money for exclusivity.

Personally, I still wouldn't have taken it since Best Buy is a dieing company and they're better off having those demos widely accessible both at in store kiosks everywhere and for home users, but then I don't know how large that dump truck of money was.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Commissar Ken posted:

A precedent that Mario is Missing set that Luigi's Mansion broke.
Mario.

Maaaaario.

Mario.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

You guys realize that the reason Best Buy is getting E3 demos isn't because Nintendo didn't realize that people would want to play them, it was because Best Buy pulled up outside Nintendo headquarters with a dump truck full of money for exclusivity.

Personally, I still wouldn't have taken it since Best Buy is a dieing company and they're better off having those demos widely accessible both at in store kiosks everywhere and for home users, but then I don't know how large that dump truck of money was.

I fear that the demos won't even be playable. Both of the Wii U demo stations at the Best Buy's here in town are broken. Their employees just don't care for a multitude of reasons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The employees don't care because no one above them cares. Best Buys are electronics ghettos just like Circuit Cities were before they closed shop.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

greatn posted:

And here I thought no one else on Earth could have read that. Well done.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Yodzilla posted:

The employees don't care because no one above them cares. Best Buys are electronics ghettos just like Circuit Cities were before they closed shop.

Yeah, basically, and they're terribly depressing to go inside now. That's what I don't understand about Nintendo's 'demos at Best Buy' thing - for a system that's struggling to get mindshare, why tie demonstration units entirely to another company struggling at retail? Why not put demo units loving everywhere?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Well, that's one way to steal some of the pre-E3 hype.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, basically, and they're terribly depressing to go inside now. That's what I don't understand about Nintendo's 'demos at Best Buy' thing - for a system that's struggling to get mindshare, why tie demonstration units entirely to another company struggling at retail? Why not put demo units loving everywhere?

That they didn't even include Gamestop says it all. People might not be in love with GS, but it makes a good deal of sense to put them there more than at loving Best Buy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nonsense posted:

That they didn't even include Gamestop says it all. People might not be in love with GS, but it makes a good deal of sense to put them there more than at loving Best Buy.

Nintendo already does this stuff with Best Buy, it is an existing business relationship. They have a NintendoZone app for 3DS that is useless unless you go into a Best Buy and connect to their network, and you can download demos and get coupons and poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

elf help book posted:

Nintendo already does this stuff with Best Buy, it is an existing business relationship. They have a NintendoZone app for 3DS that is useless unless you go into a Best Buy and connect to their network, and you can download demos and get coupons and poo poo like that.

I always wonder how successful those "bring your X device to our store for bonuses!" promos are, since it always seems like only the absolute tiniest niche of users would actually bother with something like that - did anyone actually use those Xbox 360 memory card things at Walmart demo units (assuming they weren't already destroyed when you arrived)? I want to say NFL Blitz arcade machines had something similar for N64, but I'm not sure.

• Locked thread