Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

MMD3 posted:

thanks!

any crate training resources that you could suggest reading up on? would love to know if we should start crating at night as soon as we get her or slowly work up to overnight. Also, should the crate be in our bedroom or outside of it?

I really like Susan Garrett's Crate Games. I know there's a DVD -- not sure if there's any official literature on it. It's technically geared towards sport dogs, but I think there's loads of practical applications for it. It does a good job fostering love for the crate as well as teaches great impulse control.

I would crate overnight at first, with breaks every few hours to potty (it sucks, I know). I like the crate being in my bedroom, at least to start. When I first got my dog, I spent a few nights sleeping in front of her crate so I could stick my hand in to comfort her when she whined. It worked well for me. However, in some dogs it may intensify whining, so feel it out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

a life less posted:

I really like Susan Garrett's Crate Games. I know there's a DVD -- not sure if there's any official literature on it. It's technically geared towards sport dogs, but I think there's loads of practical applications for it. It does a good job fostering love for the crate as well as teaches great impulse control.

I would crate overnight at first, with breaks every few hours to potty (it sucks, I know). I like the crate being in my bedroom, at least to start. When I first got my dog, I spent a few nights sleeping in front of her crate so I could stick my hand in to comfort her when she whined. It worked well for me. However, in some dogs it may intensify whining, so feel it out yourself.

She'll be 3 months old so I'm guessing she's already doing alright with sleeping through the night but I'll confirm with the lady who has been fostering her.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Hi all, I have a behavior with my dog that I really want to put on extinction, but am not sure how. He is a humper. And not just any humper, but he loves to facehump other dogs, which all to frequently just stand there and take it. I have just moved to a new place close to a dog park and don't want to be that guy. Plus most of my friends have dogs now, and it sucks that I can't bring him to all the doggy play dates.

I'm just not sure where to even begin training him out of this.

Also we have just moved to an apartment and he has been losing his poo poo at people walking by, doors closing etc. I've never had to crate him before, but plan on buying one asap, so in the mean time I have moved his bed into my room, made it rain high value treats like hamburger, and have shut him in there with the radio playing to drown out outside noise. Poor guy is having a rough time, he spent the last two years living with another dog and is now adjusting to being on his own.

Edit: Would getting him something like a marrow bone help distract him during the day and keep him busy?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2013

HatandBanana
Mar 24, 2009

"Don't go all 'Hat and Banana' on me now..."
I've tried everything I can think of and it's to the point that I am at my wit's end and concerned for my dog's safety. I love my dog. She's smart, we've trained a lot of fun stuff using clicker training, but she's a bolter. Any chance she can get off leash, she will just run away down the block. When she's in "bolt" mode, she will not respond to any commands, will not respond to treats or toys, and won't even respond if I try and make it a "game" and run the other way, it is like she gets focused and in the zone on something and cannot even hear me. She knows come and responds near flawlessly in the house off-lead. I have tried putting her on a long lead outside or in the park and she will also respond to come then, even with distractions. I know she knows the command, but it's like she knows when she's tethered and will respond, and she seems to know when she is untethered and outside becomes wild and free dog and stops responding to any kind of command, any reinforcement/treat (even her favorite), anything but her own agenda really. She doesn't behave this way on our walks and doesn't really pull. She's really great as long as she is contained in an area or on-lead. Same goes for in our backyard. When she has a fence around her, but is offlead, she will respond to "Come on, come in the house." She seems to know the difference there, too.

So, I figured if I couldn't trust her off-lead, I would teach her to wait at the door. I thought we had this down. She was performing it pretty well the whole time we were moving in to our new house and had the door open a lot. But today, I came in and instead of greeting me, when I came in the front door, I felt something soft hit my leg. I didn't even have the door wide open. By the time I realized what happened a half-second later, she was already down the street. She was almost hit by 3 different cars. She is way too fast for me to catch her on my own. I finally reached her and was able to snatch her up down the block when some old lady's stupid chiweenie poo poo crossed the street and bit the hell out of my leg and my dog came over to greet him.

Another thing I've tried to train on advice of the trainer is "look" at me and then a treat. This works very well... except off-lead.

I've taken her to many training classes and she seems to respond admirably there, but it never translates off-leash in open areas.

We go on walks to a park just down the road, she plays in the backyard, so it's not as if she never goes outside. I only work part-time so she gets plenty of love during the day...

I don't even know where to begin training this. I can't trust her off-lead out front, even, as you can see, for a second.. out back off-lead she responds fine.

She had the same issue with barking, that we have since pretty much corrected. She wouldn't respond to treats or toys or the SHUSH command we practiced. It's almost like I had to "snap" her out of it by gently spritzing her to get her attention, then giving her the command, and THEN a shitload of treats for responding (can full of pennies was ignored). Now she just barks a couple of times, I touch her on the shoulder and she looks back to me and waits, and I give her something good (no more spraying is really needed anymore).

I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems like in these situations my dog gets in these intensely focused states of mind with her own goal and tunes the entire world out until she achieves it. Like tunnel vision. This is GREAT when we are training because she becomes intensely focused on learning something new and getting that treat and ignores any distractions. But it is awful when she has her own agenda and I become a distraction to be tuned out. She doesn't even seem to notice cars... she tunes them out as well and seems to walk or run right out in front of them like they aren't even there. It almost takes a physical sensation to snap her out of it and make her realize she should be listening and paying attention.

So.. please, any advice would be helpful. I've tried everything I can think of and I am really scared she will get out one day and either not come back or be hit by a car.

I am willing to try anything at this point, but I am not really sure where to start. Thanks PI!

Plus, it would be really nice to be able to take her places off leash. She is a really great dog otherwise and I always thought she'd make an excellent flyball dog... but I just can't trust her right now. :/

HatandBanana fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 2, 2013

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

HatandBanana posted:

I've tried everything I can think of and it's to the point that I am at my wit's end and concerned for my dog's safety. I love my dog. She's smart, we've trained a lot of fun stuff using clicker training, but she's a bolter. Any chance she can get off leash, she will just run away down the block. When she's in "bolt" mode, she will not respond to any commands, will not respond to treats or toys, and won't even respond if I try and make it a "game" and run the other way, it is like she gets focused and in the zone on something and cannot even hear me. She knows come and responds near flawlessly in the house off-lead. I have tried putting her on a long lead outside or in the park and she will also respond to come then, even with distractions. I know she knows the command, but it's like she knows when she's tethered and will respond, and she seems to know when she is untethered and outside becomes wild and free dog and stops responding to any kind of command, any reinforcement/treat (even her favorite), anything but her own agenda really. She doesn't behave this way on our walks and doesn't really pull. She's really great as long as she is contained in an area or on-lead. Same goes for in our backyard. When she has a fence around her, but is offlead, she will respond to "Come on, come in the house." She seems to know the difference there, too.

So, I figured if I couldn't trust her off-lead, I would teach her to wait at the door. I thought we had this down. She was performing it pretty well the whole time we were moving in to our new house and had the door open a lot. But today, I came in and instead of greeting me, when I came in the front door, I felt something soft hit my leg. I didn't even have the door wide open. By the time I realized what happened a half-second later, she was already down the street. She was almost hit by 3 different cars. She is way too fast for me to catch her on my own. I finally reached her and was able to snatch her up down the block when some old lady's stupid chiweenie poo poo crossed the street and bit the hell out of my leg and my dog came over to greet him.

Another thing I've tried to train on advice of the trainer is "look" at me and then a treat. This works very well... except off-lead.

I've taken her to many training classes and she seems to respond admirably there, but it never translates off-leash in open areas.

We go on walks to a park just down the road, she plays in the backyard, so it's not as if she never goes outside. I only work part-time so she gets plenty of love during the day...

I don't even know where to begin training this. I can't trust her off-lead out front, even, as you can see, for a second.. out back off-lead she responds fine.

She had the same issue with barking, that we have since pretty much corrected. She wouldn't respond to treats or toys or the SHUSH command we practiced. It's almost like I had to "snap" her out of it by gently spritzing her to get her attention, then giving her the command, and THEN a shitload of treats for responding (can full of pennies was ignored). Now she just barks a couple of times, I touch her on the shoulder and she looks back to me and waits, and I give her something good (no more spraying is really needed anymore).

I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems like in these situations my dog gets in these intensely focused states of mind with her own goal and tunes the entire world out until she achieves it. Like tunnel vision. This is GREAT when we are training because she becomes intensely focused on learning something new and getting that treat and ignores any distractions. But it is awful when she has her own agenda and I become a distraction to be tuned out. She doesn't even seem to notice cars... she tunes them out as well and seems to walk or run right out in front of them like they aren't even there. It almost takes a physical sensation to snap her out of it and make her realize she should be listening and paying attention.

So.. please, any advice would be helpful. I've tried everything I can think of and I am really scared she will get out one day and either not come back or be hit by a car.

I am willing to try anything at this point, but I am not really sure where to start. Thanks PI!

Plus, it would be really nice to be able to take her places off leash. She is a really great dog otherwise and I always thought she'd make an excellent flyball dog... but I just can't trust her right now. :/

Have you tried the Look At That game or any mat work?
I have posts on both in this thread and there should be links in the OP.
My experience is that asking for focus to combat distractions is a recipe for failure. If you haven't tried these, I would recommend you read those posts and post again with questions or if you think you need more help. If you have tried these, I'd like to hear more about precisely how you set the exercise up and when and how it failed.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Time to do some reading. Pick up "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt.

Unfortunately I think you've missed registration on Susan Garrett's Recallers 4.0 course, but it's something that I would highly recommend as well. Please PM me -- I may have some notes for you.

What type of dog? How old? What does she find most motivating? Exploration? Sniffing? Start trying to incorporate more creative reinforcement for good behaviour so your dog understands that you are a channel to things she loves, not a barrier.

HatandBanana
Mar 24, 2009

a life less posted:

What type of dog? How old? What does she find most motivating? Exploration? Sniffing? Start trying to incorporate more creative reinforcement for good behaviour so your dog understands that you are a channel to things she loves, not a barrier.

My dog, Abby is a schnauzery type of thing. She's around 4 and a half years old. She can be food motivated, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "exploration". It's almost as if what motivates her is exploring and being free and untethered/not having to answer to anyone and when she gets the chance, it overrides everything else, including food. She is extremely intelligent and curious. She uses her intelligence most often to find creative ways to bend rules. Really, really smart ways I never seem to expect and always make me laugh (I did what you said, but in the way *I* wanted to do it!) She understands phrases/sentences and follows them like commands "Abby, what do you do when you need to go out? *ring* Yes, you ring your bell!" I've bought her several doggie puzzles and she's figured them out very quickly and they no longer become challenges for her. She figured out a way to "cheat" her treatball and get a ton of them out at once. When she's in the mood to train, she learns very quickly and seems to enjoy learning new things. She's fairly independent and tends to be a little bullheaded, she will listen, but also add in some of what she wants sometimes (I'm on my bed like you told me, 3 of my paws are on the bed so it counts! Oh alright, if you insist that I lay down, then I will hang my head off the bed, it's STILL down, isn't it? But I still get to have something off the bed! Sit? Okay, but I am going to hover my butt just off the ground. Come? Okay, but I am going the LONG way around.) She seems to need a lot of mental stimulation. She's been a challenge to raise, and most people wouldn't like that, but I've really kind of enjoyed having a dog who does things her own way and thinks for herself, rather than a blindly obedient dog (am I weird or what?). She keeps me on my toes and she's a lot of fun. However, off-leash "come" is something that is important to her safety and it's the one rule I'd want her to follow without question.

I am reminded how much of a dog she is when she decides to go chase and sometimes kill little things (rats, birds, squirrels). She seems to enjoy that too and finds it more motivating than toys or treats. Perhaps if we could get this off-leash thing handled I could try go-to-ground with her if they even have it in this area.

Finally, after all that, (if there's nothing to chase or explore) I'd guess she'd be "people oriented". She usually follows me around the house all day and watches everything I am doing very closely almost like she's afraid something exciting will happen without her or I'll get a treat out without her there. If two people are talking, she will go into whatever the room they are in and listen intently, as if she's waiting for something to be addressed to her. She is also the noisiest dog I've met and by that, I don't mean barking. I mean if two people are talking, sometimes she will feel it necessary to add grunts, sighs, and huffs as well. Even when she's sleeping she makes noise. Weird dog.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I will see if we have it at the library, if not, I'll go ahead and order it. I'll definitely be pmming you for those notes. Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry if that was TL;DR about my dog, I guess I just wanted you to get a better picture of her personality. :)

Mr Furious posted:

Have you tried the Look At That game or any mat work?
I have posts on both in this thread and there should be links in the OP.
My experience is that asking for focus to combat distractions is a recipe for failure. If you haven't tried these, I would recommend you read those posts and post again with questions or if you think you need more help. If you have tried these, I'd like to hear more about precisely how you set the exercise up and when and how it failed.

About a year ago, a trainer that we were working with suggested I teach her "look" and point the treat to my face. This worked beautifully on-leash or in the house. I guess I really need to practice it more off leash in the backyard ( but usually, so long as I have a treat, or as long as I am doing something exciting, she will respond in the yard). Even in the park on a walk I do this because she had a bad encounter with my boyfriend's nephew, so loud, running kids or especially ones on bikes/scooters make her a little nervous and I can even seem to distract her from that. Is there a better way to do this off-leash in the front? When she gets in bolt mode its hard to focus her and it almost feels too late. Is there a better way to do this than the way I am doing it? to mock that situation and ramp it up? I am nervous to do any off-leash work in a non-fenced area. I guess I am not sure how to proceed to the next level? Or when you would know when to trust them off-leash enough to "test" things out? What do you suggest? Should I just practice more and more off-lead in the backyard.

We have done something similar to go to your mat, go to your bed. She sleeps exclusively in her crate or on one of the dog beds, so she knows the command well. Also, she know it well because this is where she gets all her yummy bones ("Where do you go when you want a treat?"). I will try taking it and doing it outside instead. Great idea!

One other thing to point out is that she is smart enough that she knows the difference between when I am watching her or there is something around her neck and when she can find an opportunity that there are no fences around and no supervision. I just moved into the new house about 2 weeks ago and she learned on day 2 the difference between the front and back doors and which side didn't have a fence and she attempted to "nose" open that door (the house is set up long-ways so really the doors are kind of on each side and they look identical). Smart little thing.

As you can see in the picture below, she looks ready to explore!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HatandBanana fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 2, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If there's someplace near you that does a Control Unleashed-based class, I would recommend it. I think box work would be most useful for your purposes, but you need a lot of fences and distractions to put the exercise together well.

You can also alter the lead a bit for in-between levels of practice - something like a long strand of light cord that she drags. Leash isn't in your hand, and no pressure is on it unless she's running amok (step on it).

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

LAT and mat work are different from what you describe although they can look very similar to the casual observer. Both are covered in Control Unleashed, which has already been recommended to you twice. I'd strongly recommend that you go over the posts linked in the OP for them and read the book, then check back if you're confused about how to proceed.

HatandBanana
Mar 24, 2009

Engineer Lenk posted:

If there's someplace near you that does a Control Unleashed-based class, I would recommend it. I think box work would be most useful for your purposes, but you need a lot of fences and distractions to put the exercise together well.

You can also alter the lead a bit for in-between levels of practice - something like a long strand of light cord that she drags. Leash isn't in your hand, and no pressure is on it unless she's running amok (step on it).

Good idea, maybe I can just "knot" it around her collar so there isn't any weight that she can sense (hopefully?)

I just moved from out-of-state to Salt Lake City, UT. I had a great training center in Arkansas that I worked with Abby at, but now that I am here I am looking for a new good training center. Are any of you SLC goons that can give me a recommendation? It's been years since I've lived in the state :)

MrFurious posted:

LAT and mat work are different from what you describe although they can look very similar to the casual observer. Both are covered in Control Unleashed, which has already been recommended to you twice. I'd strongly recommend that you go over the posts linked in the OP for them and read the book, then check back if you're confused about how to proceed.

Ah okay, I'll definitely read and check this out in more detail and perhaps, hopefully find someone who specializes in Control Unleashed training in this area. Thanks for your help!

HatandBanana fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 3, 2013

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

HatandBanana posted:

I just moved from out-of-state to Salt Lake City, UT. I had a great training center in Arkansas that I worked with Abby at, but now that I am here I am looking for a new good training center. Are any of you SLC goons that can give me a recommendation? It's been years since I've lived in the state :)

There are links for finding good trainers in the OP of the Puppy/New Dog Owner thread.
Looks like no KPA's in Utah unfortunately, but there are some CPDT's: http://ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&task=directory&state=UT

Of those three, I would definitely start with this woman if you can: http://ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&task=listing&cert=3051044

Cursory glance says she's qualified and probably knows what she's doing.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

HatandBanana posted:

(I'm on my bed like you told me, 3 of my paws are on the bed so it counts! Oh alright, if you insist that I lay down, then I will hang my head off the bed, it's STILL down, isn't it? But I still get to have something off the bed! Sit? Okay, but I am going to hover my butt just off the ground. Come? Okay, but I am going the LONG way around.) She seems to need a lot of mental stimulation. She's been a challenge to raise, and most people wouldn't like that, but I've really kind of enjoyed having a dog who does things her own way and thinks for herself, rather than a blindly obedient dog (am I weird or what?). She keeps me on my toes and she's a lot of fun. However, off-leash "come" is something that is important to her safety and it's the one rule I'd want her to follow without question.

I can appreciate that people enjoy dogs who will think for themselves and may not want to blindly obey, however I would wager that the issues that you're having with recall are closely tied to the "don't wanna don't hafta" behaviour you're seeing in her other day to day behaviours. Why can she blow you off in some situations and not others? Obviously we, as people, understand when things are important and when things are not, but dogs don't. "Sometimes = always" in a dog's mind.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that a dog will only ever meet the criteria that you have laid out for them while working. As in, they won't give you more than what you've trained. Criteria is of the utmost importance when training a dog. You need to pick appropriate criteria for the skill level of the dog, and then you need to stick to it. People tend to try to progress too far too fast, or they may not properly address the root of the behaviour at issue. From what I'm reading, I think you need to work on offered attention in increasingly distracting environments, and you need to work on your dog's understanding that she can earn access to things she wants through compliance.

I think training classes (either in a group, or solo) are great. A group class will test your dog's ability to focus around distractions. A solo class will give you some solid one on one time with a trainer in which to get individually tailored feedback on your work. Good luck!

E: Also, I thought I'd suggest trying to use a flirt pole as reinforcement. It keys in to a lot of dogs' prey drive and may be helpful showing her she can get her what she wants via working with you.

a life less fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 3, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
New fun problem. How do I stop him from opening the fridge? He doesn't take anything, he just opens it and walks away.

The catch? He only does it when no one is around.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

New fun problem. How do I stop him from opening the fridge? He doesn't take anything, he just opens it and walks away.

The catch? He only does it when no one is around.

You should be able to adjust the hinges to make the door heavier and harder to open.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
edit due to starting own thread !

Panzer Attack fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 16, 2013

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
How old was he when you got him? What kind of socialization did you do? What training methods are you using? It's hard to give advice when you didn't mention anything about what techniques you've done to prevent or fix these issues other than get him neutered.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Starting your own thread about it might be a good idea. Lately it seems like the megathreads are swallowing just about every post in PI, and I think yours warrants a few more points of view.

I have a few ideas for you, but would like to know the answers to Ikantski's questions, plus I have to run to work. More later!

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Ok, cool, thanks you two. I'll start my own thread and answer the questions in there :)

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I have a 2 year old, female Great Dane. She is sweet and energetic and well-behaved for the most part, but her problem is becoming really riled-up and "primal" with my sister's dog when we go to the dog park. She sees my sister's dog almost as a cat, and will chase after, bark and put her mouth around the dog's neck (not with force, but still obviously unacceptable). This is a problem because my sister's dog doesn't want to play with mine like that, it wants to go off and do its own thing. We are trying to spray our dog with vinegar and shout when she is going after my sisters', but the vinegar is usually out of range. Vocal shouts sometimes work, but not always.

I think in this situation a more effective approach is needed. I feel a shock collar, only used when she is not listening to my voice/ mouthing my sister's dog, could be a solution and hopefully the shock could be associated with pursing my sister's dog. My wife disagrees and believes this method is cruel (which I understand). Are there any recommendations on what course of action to take? I think a shock is a safer alternative to a dog that isn't listening in that situation.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Progression Please posted:

I have a 2 year old, female Great Dane. She is sweet and energetic and well-behaved for the most part, but her problem is becoming really riled-up and "primal" with my sister's dog when we go to the dog park. She sees my sister's dog almost as a cat, and will chase after, bark and put her mouth around the dog's neck (not with force, but still obviously unacceptable). This is a problem because my sister's dog doesn't want to play with mine like that, it wants to go off and do its own thing. We are trying to spray our dog with vinegar and shout when she is going after my sisters', but the vinegar is usually out of range. Vocal shouts sometimes work, but not always.

I think in this situation a more effective approach is needed. I feel a shock collar, only used when she is not listening to my voice/ mouthing my sister's dog, could be a solution and hopefully the shock could be associated with pursing my sister's dog. My wife disagrees and believes this method is cruel (which I understand). Are there any recommendations on what course of action to take? I think a shock is a safer alternative to a dog that isn't listening in that situation.

No one here is going to tell you a shock collar is an acceptable way to solve this problem, sorry.

There are a lot more humane and effective ways to deal with the problem. First of all, you need to stop your dog from engaging in the behavior. When she gets too riled up, she needs to be leashed and removed from the situation. Shouting/ Vinegar might just get her more riled up and a shock collar might give your dog a negative association with the dog she's playing with, and lead to her being afraid of the other dog. She has no idea why she's getting zapped, just that the other dog is there and then BAM! You basically need to gently control her level of excitement and engagement with the other dog.

Have you considered not forcing the two of them to interact? Its possible that their play styles aren't compatible.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

wtftastic posted:

No one here is going to tell you a shock collar is an acceptable way to solve this problem, sorry.

There are a lot more humane and effective ways to deal with the problem. First of all, you need to stop your dog from engaging in the behavior. When she gets too riled up, she needs to be leashed and removed from the situation. Shouting/ Vinegar might just get her more riled up and a shock collar might give your dog a negative association with the dog she's playing with, and lead to her being afraid of the other dog. She has no idea why she's getting zapped, just that the other dog is there and then BAM! You basically need to gently control her level of excitement and engagement with the other dog.

Have you considered not forcing the two of them to interact? Its possible that their play styles aren't compatible.

There's a mechanics problem with what you've suggested here. I wouldn't try to leash up in the middle of those bad manners because at worst you risk a redirection bite, and at best your dog will quickly learn to run away from you to avoid being leashed and the end of his excitement. Instead I'd have the bad manners dog drag a leash during play (try to structure the situation so that it's just the two dogs so there isn't a safety hazard). Then when your sister's dog starts giving avoidance signals, go stand on the leash. You've created a dynamic tether. The other dog can now exit without being harassed and your dog will be forced to start to recognize those signals and what they mean. You're going to experience a lot of barrier frustration first though. Some dogs handle this better than others, so give this a try and report back.

But as stated, a shock collar is never an acceptable solution for problem behavior.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

MrFurious posted:

There's a mechanics problem with what you've suggested here. I wouldn't try to leash up in the middle of those bad manners because at worst you risk a redirection bite, and at best your dog will quickly learn to run away from you to avoid being leashed and the end of his excitement. Instead I'd have the bad manners dog drag a leash during play (try to structure the situation so that it's just the two dogs so there isn't a safety hazard). Then when your sister's dog starts giving avoidance signals, go stand on the leash. You've created a dynamic tether. The other dog can now exit without being harassed and your dog will be forced to start to recognize those signals and what they mean. You're going to experience a lot of barrier frustration first though. Some dogs handle this better than others, so give this a try and report back.

But as stated, a shock collar is never an acceptable solution for problem behavior.

Yeah that's more in line with what I wanted to say- I was on my way to bed and kind of muffed the response I meant to give.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I need help. I know this is NOT good, and I'm in tears typing it.

My dog is getting increasingly aggressive toward delivery men (UPS, FedEx) and I have no idea why. He is just fine with other humans, on walks, at the dog park, loving loves house visitors - barks his head off at the door when he can't see them, but warms up once they come inside. He used to be "normal" to delivery men - normal barking, "hey there's a guy at the door!" barking. I don't know what has changed it. The only thing that has changed in his life recently is that I now stay home all day instead of him being home alone for ~8 hours. He's been to the vet numerous times in the last couple months (unrelated).

He knows the sound of the delivery truck engine and flips his poo poo when he hears it to go snarl and bark obsessively at the front window. We only get packages occasionally, so they don't actually come knock very often, mostly just drive by. Today instead of just leaving the package there on the porch, the FedEx man stood at the door waiting for me to open it. I had to push my snarling insane dog back with one arm in order to open the door, and he bit my arm. Hard enough to rip open the skin at my elbow crease, and bleed. He was frantically trying to get past me. If he got past me, I'm very scared what would have happened.

From everything I've learned about training, I need to make positive associations with whatever is setting him off. But delivery trucks aren't really something you can summon to "work with", and they come at different times every day. My dog hears them before I do (if I do at all). This is in addition to the intensity of the problem, indicating a longer working-with time. I know I need to hire a behaviorist, but I just don't know what to expect. What exactly do they do? How do I find one worth anything, especially worth anything in something dangerous like this?

Immediate plan: Don't open the door, let them leave it at the apartment office
Long-term plan: ???

Almost 4 year old beagle, adopted 2 years ago. Successfully trained out of pretty severe separation anxiety, finally, so he is at least trainable... after a year and a half... :-/

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

drat Bananas posted:

My dog is getting increasingly aggressive toward delivery men (UPS, FedEx) and I have no idea why. He is just fine with other humans, on walks, at the dog park, loving loves house visitors - barks his head off at the door when he can't see them, but warms up once they come inside. He used to be "normal" to delivery men - normal barking, "hey there's a guy at the door!" barking. I don't know what has changed it. The only thing that has changed in his life recently is that I now stay home all day instead of him being home alone for ~8 hours. He's been to the vet numerous times in the last couple months (unrelated).

He knows the sound of the delivery truck engine and flips his poo poo when he hears it to go snarl and bark obsessively at the front window. We only get packages occasionally, so they don't actually come knock very often, mostly just drive by. Today instead of just leaving the package there on the porch, the FedEx man stood at the door waiting for me to open it. I had to push my snarling insane dog back with one arm in order to open the door, and he bit my arm. Hard enough to rip open the skin at my elbow crease, and bleed. He was frantically trying to get past me. If he got past me, I'm very scared what would have happened.

From everything I've learned about training, I need to make positive associations with whatever is setting him off. But delivery trucks aren't really something you can summon to "work with", and they come at different times every day. My dog hears them before I do (if I do at all). This is in addition to the intensity of the problem, indicating a longer working-with time. I know I need to hire a behaviorist, but I just don't know what to expect. What exactly do they do? How do I find one worth anything, especially worth anything in something dangerous like this?

Almost 4 year old beagle, adopted 2 years ago. Successfully trained out of pretty severe separation anxiety, finally, so he is at least trainable... after a year and a half... :-/

I have a dog who flips his poo poo at any people at the front door. I usually go grab a stick of string cheese from the fridge, call him into a back room in an upbeat fashion, give him a stick of cheese, then leave him in there and deal with the door. Eventually I'm hoping that he'll associate people coming to the door with going to the room and getting stuffed to the gills; it hasn't happened yet, but he's easier to call away than he used to be originally.

I think tightening up on training the front door would help you out. Don't ever open the front door with him right there if he's barking - always put him away. Practice a 'go to your mat' when there's a knock on the door or a doorbell with someone you know very well.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

drat Bananas posted:

I need help. I know this is NOT good, and I'm in tears typing it.

I'm sorry that happened. :(

A good behaviorist will help you isolate the problem and form a plan of action, both for behavior modification and for management so that the dog is not put in situations that will escalate. It sounds like your dog has barrier frustration when people come to the door in general (the barking) and has learned to associate the delivery guy as particularly bad for whatever reason. Things like are particularly challenging because, as you say, you can't predict or control when the delivery guy comes, so you have to start from a damage control position. But it can be done. A lot of the work I have done with my dog has involved starting after she is already freaking out since she will freak out at things I can't hear or catch before she goes off.

So I would first find a good positive reinforcement behaviorist. It sounds like this is a bit new, so it is worth talking to the vet about it specifically or, better yet, finding a veterinary behaviorist.

I would work in general on his barking problem with people at the door, even if he's totally happy when they come inside. You can control this and it will lay a foundation for him for working on his barrier frustration.

If you need to open the door, he goes in the bathroom or other place out of the way. This is just management, but it is key because you don't want to put him in a situation where he feels the need to bite or learns that biting is effective.

I have dealt with going over threshold at windows/doors in several ways with my dog, all of which depend on how over threshold she is. At first, she would go straight over threshold and I would just put her in the bathroom. We left a leash on her so that we could guarantee she would go, now she knows a bathroom command from anywhere in the house (and is generally under threshold enough to actually go). She sees the bathroom as a safe place now, which was a nice outcome. This is more management, but it was necessary while we built a foundation for coping in other ways (you would work on his door skills in general).

Next up is just straight counter-conditioning. I would actually start with this even if he is already freaking out and gauge how fast your dog starts responding by taking treats (throw them on the floor if you think he will redirect) and hopefully progressing to looking to you for treats. If he responds right away, you can probably skip the bathroom timeouts.

Once you start getting somewhere with counter-conditioning, you start asking for behaviors. Something easy at first so he can succeed and figures out that, hey, we're working now. Then you can do something more complicated, like teach him to come find you or go to a mat. If he hears the truck first and freaks out, recover him with something easy (if he can't do something easy, go back to cc), then practice your more complicated thing. You can keep practicing even after the truck has gone and I think you especially should if he still looks stressed. I do 're-dos' with my dog, if she freaks out from looking out the window, we practice looking out the window until she is happy playing the game of Look Out the Window, even if the thing that freaked her out is long gone. The trigger (the delivery guy) is important to connect to the action the dog is supposed to take, but so is muscle-memory. Then hopefully, the day comes where your dog hears the delivery guy before you but going to the mat is a stronger action to take because you have raised his threshold with the counter-conditioning and installed alternative behaviors.

Hope that helps, sorry if it was rambly, I had to attend a meeting in the middle of writing it.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
How do I extinguish behavior that I'm trying to teach, but only at certain times? I'm trying to get Beartato to wave and roll over, but I don't have a command assigned to either yet. Now a lot of the time when I tell him to sit, he does it but will sometimes paw at the air and every time he goes into a down he rolls over. I had this problem earlier and stopped trying to get him to wave/beg/sit pretty/whatever so I could get a good sit, but now I'd like to teach him to do more.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Dogdoo 8 posted:

How do I extinguish behavior that I'm trying to teach, but only at certain times? I'm trying to get Beartato to wave and roll over, but I don't have a command assigned to either yet. Now a lot of the time when I tell him to sit, he does it but will sometimes paw at the air and every time he goes into a down he rolls over. I had this problem earlier and stopped trying to get him to wave/beg/sit pretty/whatever so I could get a good sit, but now I'd like to teach him to do more.

Can you describe this in more detail? What exactly is happening with the down vs. roll over, for example? Do you ask for a down and get a down + rollover immediately?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Does he understand down as separate from roll over, aka did you teach him down before and he knew it, but now has added the roll over? If he knows down, then I would just never reward him for doing the roll over because that's not what you asked. Reset and ask again. If he still doesn't get it, put him next to a piece of furniture so he can't roll over. Since he's offering the roll over, I would go ahead and add a cue now too.

Lots of dogs like to stubbornly offer the behaviors they like best or that have recently gotten them lots of treats, so don't let them get away with it if you ask for something different. If a dog is offering you a fully formed behavior (like a complete roll over), then it's time to put it on cue and only reward when you ask for it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
On a different roll over note, Ru seems to have generalized roll over to include some sort of crazy break dancing move (his butt rolls over, the rest of him kind of spins?). I think this is pretty funny and would like to catch it on its own cue. Should I capture it first, then clean up roll over? Is the only downside taking longer to clean up the cue?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

On a different roll over note, Ru seems to have generalized roll over to include some sort of crazy break dancing move (his butt rolls over, the rest of him kind of spins?). I think this is pretty funny and would like to catch it on its own cue. Should I capture it first, then clean up roll over? Is the only downside taking longer to clean up the cue?

I once taught a puppy class where this adorable golden/poodle mix decided to a two-foot straight up into the air leap after every sit. It was the most hysterical thing I had ever seen and I wish I had pulled the owners aside and taught them how to capture it before extinguishing it from the sit. I broke this by having them be much faster on rewards/clicks and also by standing on the leash so he couldn't physically jump.

If you want this, I would capture this now. You'll probably have some work cut out for cleaning up both behaviors, because they're likely to get a little muddied, but you're obviously capable.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The issue you're having is getting the new behaviours under stimulus control. I figure that you have three options:
1. Reteach the original behaviour.
2. Control reinforcement so he's not getting rewarded by throwing unasked for behaviours at you (this can be tricky, because the act of offering behaviours can be innately reinforcing).
3. Toss some other cues in there to help him understand what you're looking for.

I ran into my own situation involving issues with stimulus control last night. I decided that I wanted to teach Cohen to wrap herself up in a blanket (which involves laying down, taking a corner of the blanket in her mouth then rolling over while holding it). Cohen already has a well practiced behaviour of taking an object in her mouth then sitting pretty, so I was having a hell of a time having her stay laying down while holding the blanket. I mostly used options 1 and 3 above to work through it. I marked and reinforced quickly so Cohen didn't have an option to move into a sit, and tossed a few "stay"s in there to get her used to holding an item in a down. Once we got rid of the offered sit pretty behaviour we could get to work on holding the blanket while rolling over.

Anyways, that's just my random training story. It's fun to train an entirely new behaviour, and I don't do it enough.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. I just finished law school and am temporarily in my parent's house while I study for the bar. My dog is a 25 lb Sheltie mix who doesn't really like other dogs, but isn't aggressive; she moves away if they try to smell her, and if they try to engage or jump around with her she either runs or snarls/barks at them. No biting but she has other issues with snapping at people in certain circumstances. The labs don't have a lot of dog experience, especially with smaller dogs.
My parents own two labs, one 50 lb, one 70 lb, and the dogs are not getting along. My dog and the smaller lab (both female) started barking at each other through the cat door, and generally have been defensive or snarling when they've interacted. The larger lab is milder and we tried out having them int he same room (we've kept the small lab and my dog physically separated by door/dog gates), and they sort of walked around each other but my dog barked and showed her teeth when the lab tried to play with her. The dogs are apart for the time being, I am living in the basement and keeping the door closed to segregate the dogs, but it would logistically be easier on a lot of levels if my dog could enter the main house area. The labs do not have a lot of experience with other dogs, we live in a relatively rural area with not a lot of other people nearby.
I will probably be in the house through August, and we could manage to keep them separate but I would like to be able to have the dogs hang out if possible and I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions? I don't know if I should just put them together and see what happens, or if that short a time period is feasible for them to learn to tolerate each other or get along, or if I should just keep them segregated going forward.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Kiri koli posted:

Does he understand down as separate from roll over, aka did you teach him down before and he knew it, but now has added the roll over? If he knows down, then I would just never reward him for doing the roll over because that's not what you asked. Reset and ask again. If he still doesn't get it, put him next to a piece of furniture so he can't roll over. Since he's offering the roll over, I would go ahead and add a cue now too.

Lots of dogs like to stubbornly offer the behaviors they like best or that have recently gotten them lots of treats, so don't let them get away with it if you ask for something different. If a dog is offering you a fully formed behavior (like a complete roll over), then it's time to put it on cue and only reward when you ask for it.

I taught him down long before I started this. He'll still sometimes try to cheat and not have his elbows fully on the ground, but that seems to go away with high value treats or me sitting next to him and he's much better than when I was first teaching him. He's been pretty much going from a down and then rolling over right after that. Part of the trouble is it's hard to reset since once he's on his back he'll just stay there and demand tummy rubs and won't stop unless I lure him which is quickly going to teach him that down means "roll on your back and then stand up" or I'll have to leave the area which ends the training session and ends it on a bad note. There should be just enough time to mark right when he hits the down but before he starts to roll on his back.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Direwolf posted:

Any suggestions? I don't know if I should just put them together and see what happens, or if that short a time period is feasible for them to learn to tolerate each other or get along, or if I should just keep them segregated going forward.

This exercise with the calmer lab:

Let your dog loose in a room / behind a gate.
Bring the lab in on leash.
Click/treat for them reorienting to you and ignoring your dog. Call them in a happy voice if you can't get them unstuck, but you're trying to make this automatic. The lesson you want them to take away is that you are more reinforcing than messing with the other dog.
Monitor and call away from any signs of play.

Eventually you should be able to drop the leash and still have the lab orient to you rather than your dog (ideally this would be your parents as well if you can get them involved). Toss your dog a treat once in a while for being a good sport. Then see if you can get dual dog behaviors: ask both dogs to sit and reward both dogs.

Eventually you'll know that you can remove the barriers and they'll operate okay under supervision. I wouldn't leave them to sort it out - that will be very stressful on your dog and could well leave her more reactive.

For the smaller lab, before you get to the exercise above, you should work on a more formal 'look at that' and block off the door so that they can't practice yelling at each other. I would probably start outside, with both dogs on leash, lab leading out maybe 50 feet ahead of your sheltie. Click/treat each dog for looking at the other one, working up to parallel walking about 10' apart. Don't let them meet, and if either dog starts barking reward the other heavily, increase distance a bit and try again.

Your primary focus in this situation is to keep the labs from instigating anything. If you can teach them that your dog is not a new and interesting source of amusement, everyone will coexist peacefully. I don't think you'll make it to a point where everyone is trustworthy without supervision by August, but I think you do stand a good chance of being able to sit down in one room with your family without incident.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

What I feel bears repeating when it comes to dog/dog interactions is that dogs don't need to be best friends. They just have to tolerate the presence of other dogs. Don't encourage them to interact, and keep the overly exuberant dogs on a leash, tether or behind a gate. Ultimately it's safer, and it will be much less stressful for an under-confident dog like yours.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Engineer Lenk posted:

This exercise with the calmer lab:

Let your dog loose in a room / behind a gate.
Bring the lab in on leash.
Click/treat for them reorienting to you and ignoring your dog. Call them in a happy voice if you can't get them unstuck, but you're trying to make this automatic. The lesson you want them to take away is that you are more reinforcing than messing with the other dog.
Monitor and call away from any signs of play.

Eventually you should be able to drop the leash and still have the lab orient to you rather than your dog (ideally this would be your parents as well if you can get them involved). Toss your dog a treat once in a while for being a good sport. Then see if you can get dual dog behaviors: ask both dogs to sit and reward both dogs.

Eventually you'll know that you can remove the barriers and they'll operate okay under supervision. I wouldn't leave them to sort it out - that will be very stressful on your dog and could well leave her more reactive.

For the smaller lab, before you get to the exercise above, you should work on a more formal 'look at that' and block off the door so that they can't practice yelling at each other. I would probably start outside, with both dogs on leash, lab leading out maybe 50 feet ahead of your sheltie. Click/treat each dog for looking at the other one, working up to parallel walking about 10' apart. Don't let them meet, and if either dog starts barking reward the other heavily, increase distance a bit and try again.

Your primary focus in this situation is to keep the labs from instigating anything. If you can teach them that your dog is not a new and interesting source of amusement, everyone will coexist peacefully. I don't think you'll make it to a point where everyone is trustworthy without supervision by August, but I think you do stand a good chance of being able to sit down in one room with your family without incident.

Thanks, I really appreciate it, I'll let you know how it goes!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I'm sorry if this is asked every other page, I'll admit I don't visit PI or this thread often enough.

Anyone have some training tips for breaking my 2½ year old beagle mutt into being safe and obedient off leash? I'm only planning on doing it sparingly and in safer situations such as a sparsely populated park away from streets, or a hiking trail and other things like that. I'd like to be able to get my dog trained and behaving well enough to, say, play catch with me, just follow me around, or sit around with me, -- without having to worry about him darting off, barking at animals or people or running into the middle of the street or some poo poo.

He does have a bit of a problem with trying to lead me during walks, dart off at interesting stuff, and bark aggressively (but never actually biting or anything) at dogs/cats and certain people, usually only on his normal walking route. In other (mostly) closed environments he is fairly obedient, responsive and gets along with new people of all ages fine, along with other dogs. Maybe he is territorial on his walks? Anyway, I mention it because it is evidence that worries me about letting him off leash.

I tried it out on Sunday a bit. I let him off the leash for about 15 seconds 3 different times. Each time he kind of roamed around at a medium pace excitedly sniffing and looking around for stuff to check out, and a few times he headed in the direction of other people, but he stopped when prompted, and always came back when called within a couple of tries having no qualms about letting me leash him again. In my judgement he did OK. But it was a small almost empty park, without any other animals or commotion to truly test him.

Anyway, that's my situation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 21, 2013

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Damo posted:

I'm sorry if this is asked every other page, I'll admit I don't visit PI or this thread often enough.

Anyone have some training tips for breaking my 2½ year old beagle mutt into being safe and obedient off leash? I'm only planning on doing it sparingly and in safer situations such as a sparsely populated park away from streets, or a hiking trail and other things like that. I'd like to be able to get my dog trained and behaving well enough to, say, play catch with me, just follow me around, or sit around with me, -- without having to worry about him darting off, barking at animals or people or running into the middle of the street or some poo poo.

He does have a bit of a problem with trying to lead me during walks, dart off at interesting stuff, and bark aggressively (but never actually biting or anything) at dogs/cats and certain people, usually only on his normal walking route. In other (mostly) closed environments he is fairly obedient, responsive and gets along with new people of all ages fine, along with other dogs. Maybe he is territorial on his walks? Anyway, I mention it because it is evidence that worries me about letting him off leash.

I tried it out on Sunday a bit. I let him off the leash for about 15 seconds 3 different times. Each time he kind of roamed around at a medium pace excitedly sniffing and looking around for stuff to check out, and a few times he headed in the direction of other people, but he stopped when prompted, and always came back when called within a couple of tries having no qualms about letting me leash him again. In my judgement he did OK. But it was a small almost empty park, without any other animals or commotion to truly test him.

Anyway, that's my situation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

notsoape is probably our resident beagle expert, but she actually breeds hunting stock, so maybe we can get her to post some breed specifics. Although I love them, we don't see a lot of them in classes or adoptions up here, so my experience is limited.

I can help with the recall training advice, however. So while you may feel that Sunday was a good trial run, as a trainer, I would say that you broke one of the cardinal rules -- you said the command multiple times. I live in Boulder and we actually have a city program where dogs can roam with you unleashed, provided that you have passed a test and received a yellow dog tag. In order to do this, you have to demonstrate that your dog will respond readily to your oral commands the first time, right away. If an officer or park ranger sees otherwise they can and will fine you.

So, to start, there are some posts linked in the OP for improving and refining an off-leash recall, but I would say that you need to work on some recall fundamentals first.
The rules are as follows:
  • We say the C-O-M-E word (or whatever your recall cue is) once and only once, period. We use this word only when we are confident the dog will respond.
  • Coming when called must be a positive experience. That means we don't use the C word to start a bath (if we don't like baths), we don't use it to leash up and leave the dog park, and we definitely don't scold our dog after he comes because we just called him away from doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.
  • Use very, very high value treats when training recalls to make it a super positive experience. Bring out the big guns for this - baby food, rotisserie chicken, bacon, tunafish. Especially since you have a beagle, the stinkier, the better, most likely.

Typically we train recalls as a chained behavior, and we build from the name game to hand targets to default sits. What that means is that our desired recall starts with a "Rover, come!" and our dog whips around, tears rear end to us and plops down into a sit and waits for a collar grab or a release cue. I'm going to gloss over some of this unless you want more details and focus on how you can really get your dog coming the first time you call.

Grab the big guns we talked about above, whatever really motivates your dog. Toss a low value treat across to the other side of the room, then give your recall cue. Hopefully your dog comes right away. If your dog dog does not come, remember that you are not allowed to repeat the cue. Your dog's recall cue is not "COME... COME ROVER... COME HERE", so don't practice like it is. If he's not heading your way, then start making noise. Pat the ground or your legs, make kissing noises, or start running away from him and make it a game of chase. If this occurs, you're asking for more than he can give you yet, so make it MUCH easier next time and work your way back out slowly. When your dog does come to you, regardless of what you had to do to get him there, make sure that you reward heavily. When we first start using the C word, we try to make a point of rewarding for 30 straight seconds. We do a recall from a couple of feet away and then we methodically feed tiny treats one at a time for thirty straight seconds.

Start with this and post again if anything seems unclear or you're having trouble.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

MrFurious posted:

notsoape is probably our resident beagle expert, but she actually breeds hunting stock, so maybe we can get her to post some breed specifics. Although I love them, we don't see a lot of them in classes or adoptions up here, so my experience is limited.

I can help with the recall training advice, however. So while you may feel that Sunday was a good trial run, as a trainer, I would say that you broke one of the cardinal rules -- you said the command multiple times. I live in Boulder and we actually have a city program where dogs can roam with you unleashed, provided that you have passed a test and received a yellow dog tag. In order to do this, you have to demonstrate that your dog will respond readily to your oral commands the first time, right away. If an officer or park ranger sees otherwise they can and will fine you.

So, to start, there are some posts linked in the OP for improving and refining an off-leash recall, but I would say that you need to work on some recall fundamentals first.
The rules are as follows:
  • We say the C-O-M-E word (or whatever your recall cue is) once and only once, period. We use this word only when we are confident the dog will respond.
  • Coming when called must be a positive experience. That means we don't use the C word to start a bath (if we don't like baths), we don't use it to leash up and leave the dog park, and we definitely don't scold our dog after he comes because we just called him away from doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.
  • Use very, very high value treats when training recalls to make it a super positive experience. Bring out the big guns for this - baby food, rotisserie chicken, bacon, tunafish. Especially since you have a beagle, the stinkier, the better, most likely.

Typically we train recalls as a chained behavior, and we build from the name game to hand targets to default sits. What that means is that our desired recall starts with a "Rover, come!" and our dog whips around, tears rear end to us and plops down into a sit and waits for a collar grab or a release cue. I'm going to gloss over some of this unless you want more details and focus on how you can really get your dog coming the first time you call.

Grab the big guns we talked about above, whatever really motivates your dog. Toss a low value treat across to the other side of the room, then give your recall cue. Hopefully your dog comes right away. If your dog dog does not come, remember that you are not allowed to repeat the cue. Your dog's recall cue is not "COME... COME ROVER... COME HERE", so don't practice like it is. If he's not heading your way, then start making noise. Pat the ground or your legs, make kissing noises, or start running away from him and make it a game of chase. If this occurs, you're asking for more than he can give you yet, so make it MUCH easier next time and work your way back out slowly. When your dog does come to you, regardless of what you had to do to get him there, make sure that you reward heavily. When we first start using the C word, we try to make a point of rewarding for 30 straight seconds. We do a recall from a couple of feet away and then we methodically feed tiny treats one at a time for thirty straight seconds.

Start with this and post again if anything seems unclear or you're having trouble.

On a sort of related note, how do I train myself to use an actual command and not one of several variations? "Beartato, come here!" "Come here buddy" "STIIINNNKYYYYY" are a few of the ones I use without thinking. I think this is a lot of why I've been having trouble with recall. He responds to whistles pretty well, but I can't whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
You need TAGteach. You can also do some easy training where you focus less on the dog (because you know he'll respond) and more on exactly what you are doing. For me I had to hone in on this really early because our dog is insanely operant. As soon as there is training happening she is doing everything she can to get treats, which means that she is frighteningly responsive to our body language, our tone and inflection, and anything else in the environment. It's a blessing and a curse. She learns stupidly fast, but she also demands a lot from the trainer too.

• Locked thread