Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

hobbesmaster posted:

So uh speaking of dress up, for twileks is there literally anything that goes in the head slot that does not either clip your lekku or make them disappear?

There's the headbands in character creation but iirc they're all kinda dumb.

I have yet to see anything that doesn't clip the lekku. You can only find items that look okay with the clipping or cover the head which gets rid of the lekku entirely. Formal Hat looks okay, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
Just picked this up after feeling the urge for something grindy to satisfy my ex-wow player urges. Seems like I picked a good time, given the recent patch. I'm in as Spiderplant the Imperial Agent, on Jedi Covenant. If there's anyone online that could invite to TNG, that'd be cool. I did fill out the application on the website, no idea if that was needed or not.

Having fun shooting things with my dick James-Bond-in-Space. Am I right in thinking it's about level 10 to leave the first planet?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Spider Plant posted:

Just picked this up after feeling the urge for something grindy to satisfy my ex-wow player urges. Seems like I picked a good time, given the recent patch. I'm in as Spiderplant the Imperial Agent, on Jedi Covenant. If there's anyone online that could invite to TNG, that'd be cool. I did fill out the application on the website, no idea if that was needed or not.

Having fun shooting things with my dick James-Bond-in-Space. Am I right in thinking it's about level 10 to leave the first planet?
Yeah, level 10 is about when you should leave Hutta.

Once you get your ship after Dromund Kaas the galaxy map should give you level ranges for planets.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Reveilled posted:

The more I play Star Wars games, the more I feel like Kreia's position that the Force itself is evil and needs to be destroyed is the correct one.

It's not the Force itself that causes conflict, it's this infantile notion of "Dark" and "Light". The Jedi have their heads so far up their own asses, they might as well be the Catholic Church; but you can't blame them for wanting to fight when the civilized parts of the galaxy get invaded by Sith. The Sith get the fact that there's only power and what you choose to do with it, but have this ridiculous Klingon warrior-culture mixed with fascism going on. Either side would turn the galaxy into a crapsack if they were left to their own devices too long.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThreeSixXero posted:

I have yet to see anything that doesn't clip the lekku. You can only find items that look okay with the clipping or cover the head which gets rid of the lekku entirely. Formal Hat looks okay, though.

There really needs to be an option to wear your lekku around your neck or something then (you know, like in the movies)

Though now that I gis it I guess most twilek are portrayed as having their lekku free. Seems like it'd be a liability when waving a pole saber around but I guess clipping is par for the course with those too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Nipponophile posted:

So what new looks have you guys come up with now that we have character recustomization and dyes?

I turned my bounty hunter into an 80's action hero:

That's loving masterful.

EDIT: I think I might post some screen caps of my Inquisitor and Juggernaut later on. My Inquisitor got a big time makeover, but the Jugg needs it for sure.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 17, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bag of Hamsters posted:

The Trooper is... I wouldn't know. I can't bring myself to have sex with a cat.

KittyEmpress posted:

I had no issues with the female trooper romance due to the catness.

I had issues with the female trooper romance because I wanted to throw him off a drat cliff.

They need to implement same-sex romances just for Femshep Trooper & Elara Dorne. :quagmire:

Reveilled posted:

The more I play Star Wars games, the more I feel like Kreia's position that the Force itself is evil and needs to be destroyed is the correct one.

Nathilus posted:

It's not the Force itself that causes conflict, it's this infantile notion of "Dark" and "Light". The Jedi have their heads so far up their own asses, they might as well be the Catholic Church; but you can't blame them for wanting to fight when the civilized parts of the galaxy get invaded by Sith. The Sith get the fact that there's only power and what you choose to do with it, but have this ridiculous Klingon warrior-culture mixed with fascism going on. Either side would turn the galaxy into a crapsack if they were left to their own devices too long.

Yeah, the problem isn't with the Force; the Force just is. A pistol isn't inherently evil, it's what you do with it that counts. The problem is that they're both wrong - the Jedi are so stuck on the 'surrender to the Force' thing and the Sith are all about 'surrender to your rage/fear/passions' and both of those are self-destructive. Jedi end up sitting around gazing at their navels feeling like they're wise and Sith start fighting amongst each other and never get anything done, either.

The answer is to harness/use your passions while simultaneously tempering them with wisdom and humility. A middle path. It's like in the OT when Yoda warns Luke against emotions/attachments; Yoda is thinking that Luke will succumb to fear or rage or hate, but in the end Luke utilizes love to turn Vader and destroy the Emperor. The answer was not to eschew emotions, but to embrace them (without letting them control you).

Anyway that's my theory. :spergin:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Or the problem is the Force, because no matter which way you swing it, people are inherently dicks, and even if the number of force users is incredibly tiny, all it takes is one kid having an abusive parent, or being a sociopath, or hell, being a teenager and wanting to get laid, and suddenly you have a biological time bomb that armies can't stop.

And that's the root of all Star Wars suffering. The Sith will always exist, because people are emotional, and when they get emotional with force sensitivity, bad things happen. The current incarnation in TOR is just more organized about getting people really mad about stuff. And the only way to stop them from becoming tyrants is having your own magic space wizards.

As for the Trooper, Aric gets even better if you go and make a female Consular, and do the Iresso romance. Iresso has a bit of a talk about Aric's past, and it's nothing but him badmouthing his leadership abilities/soldiering potential. It's even funnier if Aric is your XO.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rookersh posted:

As for the Trooper, Aric gets even better if you go and make a female Consular, and do the Iresso romance. Iresso has a bit of a talk about Aric's past, and it's nothing but him badmouthing his leadership abilities/soldiering potential. It's even funnier if Aric is your XO.

I guess I'm not comprehending this - Aric shows up in the Consular storyline?

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

WarLocke posted:

I guess I'm not comprehending this - Aric shows up in the Consular storyline?

There are plenty of Companion storylines where Companions from other classes show up. For example Doc had a fling with Kaliyo and at one point during his storyline she comes aboard your ship for a moment.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Do most of you guys sub or are you F2P with tokens and crap?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The cyclic nature of the conflict isn't so much thematic as it is a way to keep cranking out product, and I wouldn't read too far into it given that multiple characters in the EU end up transcending the Light/Dark boundary.

That said, I simply blame hackneyed writing. I've read some drat good, believable villains in my day and none of them were from Star Wars. The Jedi sense of self-important dogmatism can come across as pretty realistic, but Sith motivations are always eye-roll worthy if not entertaining. Palpatine in particular is hella fun to watch, but doesn't come across as a real person with understandably human motivations at all.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Yeah, the EU as a whole is cringeworthy but some (some, not all) of the exploration into the Force that was done works better than the 'official' Lucas canon. Despite KotOR2's problems, Kreia had an interesting view on it. Then there was Vergere, but I'm of the mind that she, too, was 'off' by way of hanging around the Vong for so long. I really think Luke and Revan are the best examples of characters that got over/pushed past the whole light/dark distraction.

Fuzz posted:

I sprung for the 60-day non-recurring option they have now. Depending on where I am (read that as: how many inventory/cargo hold/etc unlocks I've bought off the GTN) when that runs out I may let myself drop to Preferred. Most of the handicaps can be worked around if you're willing to put in time/money, the only things you can't really work around are the credit cap and weekly FP/WZ/space mission caps.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 17, 2013

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Nathilus posted:

The cyclic nature of the conflict isn't so much thematic as it is a way to keep cranking out product, and I wouldn't read too far into it given that multiple characters in the EU end up transcending the Light/Dark boundary.

Yeah, I'll cop to this point. It's just me being a lore nerd and looking for IC reasons instead of marketing reasons.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Fuzz posted:

I spent about ten dollars for cartel coins, just so I could use them to unlock the speeder early on and get the Sprint ability. I think of it as an investment in making the game more playable, and being able to get around faster so that I don't waste as much time holding down 'W' between mobs.

Edit:

Fuzz posted:

I have that poo poo already since I preordered and had CE. No need to actually drop cash otherwise so far?

For me, not really. There are a good number of times when the game tells you that you should be subscribing, which can be a little annoying. Like it'll say "You are gaining xp at a reduced rate. Subscribe to gain at the full rate!" or sometimes there are quest rewards you're locked out of that it'll say "Subscribers get more quest reward options! Click to subscribe!"

And there are some relatively minor things that I'm probably going to pay for eventually. Mainly expanded bag slots and the ability to hide my head equipment. I picked up my first headpiece last night, and it's basically a Vader-like facial piece that distorts my character's voice in the cutscenes.

hobbesmaster posted:

Protip: autorun is mouse 4. Bind it somewhere else if you don't have one.

Also, bind your interrupt to mouse 3 or something and mash it every time you see a channel start.

I'll rebind autorun to numlock when I get home. I'm stuck with a crappy two-button mouse right now. :smith:

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 17, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Simon Draskovic posted:

I spent about ten dollars for cartel coins, just so I could use them to unlock the speeder early on and get the Sprint ability. I think of it as an investment in making the game more playable, and being able to get around faster so that I don't waste as much time holding down 'W' between mobs.

I have that poo poo already since I preordered and had CE. No need to actually drop cash otherwise so far?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also, bind your interrupt to mouse 3 or something and mash it every time you see a channel start.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Better protip: Don't be me and have a two-button (plus wheel) mouse :saddowns:

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I'm F2P and leveling an Imperial Agent right now. I'm currently at level 16 and have one companion who I've trained in cybertech. Do I need to buy the two other craft slots or just wait until I have more than one companion? Should I dump cybertech for now and pick up a gathering skill?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

This, so many times this.

I would actually advocate for this (both points) in the OP.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fuzz posted:

F2P levels at launch speeds ( or close enough ), gets the speeder at the same time as launch, and gets the same amount of credits as you did at launch. Just remember, at launch you needed to either do bonus series, or run flashpoints to stay on par levelwise, if you don't you'll fall behind.

Subs get levels as if they are perma rested, actually get rested exp, get the speeder at 10 for 250 credits or something silly, and get more credits in general.

If you have any 50's at all, even on other servers, you can go to the GTN and rebuy all the account unlocks you want ( titles, unify colors, ability to use purps, etc ) for chump change, and turn it into what it was at launch.

I honestly don't see any reason to sub. I liked the BS, so it was fun doing them again, I like FPs, so it's fun doing them again. Once you hit 50, you can rebuy the ability to do Space Missions/Operations/PvP more then 2-3 times a week, and join in endgame stuff. Somebody from this thread ( Lafferjack? ) subbed at the same time I didn't, and he was always 4-5 levels past each planet, without doing any of the Bonus Series up to around Alderaan. Fighting gray mobs like that just seems boring.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I'm F2P and leveling an Imperial Agent right now. I'm currently at level 16 and have one companion who I've trained in cybertech. Do I need to buy the two other craft slots or just wait until I have more than one companion? Should I dump cybertech for now and pick up a gathering skill?

F2P will have to pay to unlock the other two crafting skills. Preferred status, which you get by spending any money at all, will unlock the second slot. Unless you have all three skills available, I'd recommend taking a gathering skill, especially for a first character. You won't have a bunch of money to sink into crafting to start with, so anything you pick up in the field is just free money.

In other news, the Gree event is returning next week. It'll be nice if they add something new to the vendors. I noticed the other night that my Sniper has 45 tokens that I've never gotten around to buying anything with. If not, maybe I'll grab more Blue Spheres to ride around in.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rookersh posted:

Or the problem is the Force, because no matter which way you swing it, people are inherently dicks, and even if the number of force users is incredibly tiny, all it takes is one kid having an abusive parent, or being a sociopath, or hell, being a teenager and wanting to get laid, and suddenly you have a biological time bomb that armies can't stop.

And that's the root of all Star Wars suffering. The Sith will always exist, because people are emotional, and when they get emotional with force sensitivity, bad things happen. The current incarnation in TOR is just more organized about getting people really mad about stuff. And the only way to stop them from becoming tyrants is having your own magic space wizards.

Yeah, Kreia's belief that the force should be destroyed was twofold: first, that the constant wars between the Jedi and Sith are born of the force and cause endless grief for everyone else, which is the obvious point to make there. But Kreia also believed that the force stole people's free will, because things such as destiny, fate and prophesy were products of the force, and ultimately the people of the galaxy are just the Force's pawns playing out some grand design. Which was what made the Exile special, contrary to what the game has you thinking for the majority of its duration, the Exile made a conscious decision to cut herself off from the force, and thus became the first person who was truly free, contrary to the claims of the Sith. So in the Exile, Kreia sees the freedom of all people.

Kreia posted:

"In you, I saw the death of the force."

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

hobbesmaster posted:

There really needs to be an option to wear your lekku around your neck or something then (you know, like in the movies)

Though now that I gis it I guess most twilek are portrayed as having their lekku free. Seems like it'd be a liability when waving a pole saber around but I guess clipping is par for the course with those too.

I would actually like to see that as an option, particularly for the KOTOR nostalgia.

Although I like how my Twi'lek came out and wouldn't change her, more options are always good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What are my odds of doing the last HK heroic solo as a level 55 guardian with mostly basic gear?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Eltoasto posted:

What are my odds of doing the last HK heroic solo as a level 55 guardian with mostly basic gear?

The quest to GET HK? Not Foundry HM, right?

I did the final quest with my level 50 Assassin and I was fine.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nipponophile posted:

So what new looks have you guys come up with now that we have character recustomization and dyes?

I turned my bounty hunter into an 80's action hero:

It's a shame you didn't roll powertech. You're like two steps off from being able to look like that guy who played Guile in the original Street Fighter movie. Being able to magically launch yourself off the ground to uppercut things in the jaw would complete the look. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 17, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Medullah posted:

The quest to GET HK? Not Foundry HM, right?

I did the final quest with my level 50 Assassin and I was fine.

Yeah just the lord of agony thing. Ok I'll give it a shot!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah, if you're talking about the last 2+ heroic, what I did on my sniper was just book it through the trash which I couldn't kill on my own, die near the boss, med probe and kill boss who wasn't too hard. Done. Just use your healer companion and interrupt/stun him as much as you can when he's casting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archonex posted:

It's a shame you didn't roll powertech. You're like two steps off from being able to look like that guy who played Guile in the original Street Fighter movie. Being able to magically launch yourself off the ground to uppercut things in the jaw would complete the look. :black101:

"That guy"? That was Jean Claude Van Damme.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Nathilus posted:

That said, I simply blame hackneyed writing. I've read some drat good, believable villains in my day and none of them were from Star Wars. The Jedi sense of self-important dogmatism can come across as pretty realistic, but Sith motivations are always eye-roll worthy if not entertaining. Palpatine in particular is hella fun to watch, but doesn't come across as a real person with understandably human motivations at all.

Not to get too far into Star Wars :goonsay: but I have to disagree. Darth Plageuis' novel really covers "Rule of Two" era scheming and what the end goal was and who and what Palps was before he was the Emperor (and probably what drives him as he ascends to power). Its an easy read, but fun and engaging (and covers more Sith styled navel gazing on the Force). I powered through it in a weekend and its nice to see some aspects of TOR era lore integrated into prequel trilogy content.

I honestly really enjoy the real contrast between Sith and Jedi in this era, and one of the things I finally realized is that Dark Jedi are for real not Sith. They're just not Jedi...Jedi.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Archonex posted:

Mercs get rocket punch too. It's a Bounty Hunter base class ability.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was running through a FP on my Sniper today, and got stuck with three RPers who insisted on RPing their way through, and kept telling me to bow and the like, and so I 'played along', but consistently pulled things I shouldn't and then left them to kill the other guys while I ran off. Eventually they turned into whiny baby mode and completely stopped talking in characterly, so I put on my best faux sincerity and was like, "Why, I had no idea m'lords were so impotent. I apologize for overestimating the force"

This led to them going back into character for two more wipes (that I escaped from), before they started bitching again.

We finally hit the final boss, and all of them but me died while it was at about 2% HP, so I soloed it down, looted the body, and left the FP after needing on every drop the whole thing (and winning all but one item). Two of them (who were in the same guild) PMed me asking if I'd like to join their guild, because it was a 'fun run'. :shrug:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Tips for dealing with roleplayers without being a complete rear end in a top hat.

1. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

2. Be firm but respectful. Simply type out "I am not interested in joining you in RPing, so I will just be here to complete the flashpoint."
2a. If you want to really be super respectful, include the above statement in ((DOUBLE BRACKETS.))

3. Don't try to get them killed, like anyone else that will just put them on the defensive. If you feel they're going too slow, politely make your case. "Can we go faster, please, and you can RP on your own time?"

4. Ninja looting always makes you an rear end in a top hat. Even if the person you're stealing purps from is Hitler 2, it's still a dick move.

Basically what I'm saying is that you did everything wrong and made no point except to be foolish.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nipponophile posted:

Mercs get rocket punch too. It's a Bounty Hunter base class ability.

Yeah, but Powertechs get a lot more use out of it last I checked. Plus Powertechs get a lot more out of rolling fist to fist than Mercs do. Which is totally in theme with what the look's going for. :black101:

quote:

"That guy"? That was Jean Claude Van Damme.

Holy poo poo, you're right. For some reason I totally forgot that that was actually him as Guile in that movie. Probably because the most memorable thing I remember about it is Raul Julia's performance as Bison.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 18, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

I was running through a FP on my Sniper today, and got stuck with three RPers who insisted on RPing their way through, and kept telling me to bow and the like, and so I 'played along', but consistently pulled things I shouldn't and then left them to kill the other guys while I ran off. Eventually they turned into whiny baby mode and completely stopped talking in characterly, so I put on my best faux sincerity and was like, "Why, I had no idea m'lords were so impotent. I apologize for overestimating the force"

This led to them going back into character for two more wipes (that I escaped from), before they started bitching again.

We finally hit the final boss, and all of them but me died while it was at about 2% HP, so I soloed it down, looted the body, and left the FP after needing on every drop the whole thing (and winning all but one item). Two of them (who were in the same guild) PMed me asking if I'd like to join their guild, because it was a 'fun run'. :shrug:

Are you sure they weren't trolling you and when they got trolled in return they were impressed?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I wish I knew what was wrong with this client tonight. Normally, whenever there's a patch, the patching freezes while installing the final asset at 99% and then I need to force quit the launcher and relaunch and it goes through perfectly. Tonight, it's freezing at 62% of installing Game Client 100 and nothing seems to kick it past there. I've rebooted countless times and it just doesn't want to work.

I was hoping to get some playing time in this evening, but I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow since I'm in no mood to tinker with it.

EDIT: What do you know, apparently the Customer Service forum isn't completely useless. Found a solution. Jesus, their patching system is completely shitastic.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 18, 2013

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah just the lord of agony thing. Ok I'll give it a shot!

I soloed it as a sawbones scoundrel at level 51 with a companion in greens. Took forever but that was probably due to my comps damage output.

I dont know how people play this game without a 12 button mouse. So many abilities to bind. I have all my mouse keys biund, shift + mouse keys bound, alt + mouse keys bound, and every key around the wasd keys. I still have to mouse click my rocket boots!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I soloed it as a sawbones scoundrel at level 51 with a companion in greens. Took forever but that was probably due to my comps damage output.

I dont know how people play this game without a 12 button mouse. So many abilities to bind. I have all my mouse keys biund, shift + mouse keys bound, alt + mouse keys bound, and every key around the wasd keys. I still have to mouse click my rocket boots!

Hello, me. Can't fathom playing without my Razr. And to think at first I was like "Uhhh no way, this is way too complex."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Rkikzza posted:

Guild name is RIP TOR, not the easiest to search for but if you search for Utrom, Karrai, or Kharem I can send you an invite. Even though I'm coming back to the game I've started over completely so leveling slowly is no problem at all!

Cool, thanks! My character is Mecha-Gallandro and my friend is Degego. I'll be on tonight, and I'll look for you guys.

• Locked thread