Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

nutranurse posted:

Well... what kind of match were you playing? Also don't use the touch controls unless you also are into BDSM; just use the virtual controller.

It was just one on one I think. There was nothing fancy on the ring or anything. And I am using the buttons but not quite sure what to do when I'm trying to get someone to tap out or how to pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
NightSky just went :siren: free :siren: it looks like a platforming ball roller with a ripped off limbo art style. Someone earlier in the thread said it was good.

http://appshopper.com/games/nightsky-2

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's a very neat little puzzle platformer with some good jazzy music. I liked it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bummey posted:

NightSky just went :siren: free :siren: it looks like a platforming ball roller with a ripped off limbo art style. Someone earlier in the thread said it was good.

http://appshopper.com/games/nightsky-2

It was made by the person who made Within a Deep Forest and Knytt, in some ways Limbo ripped him off.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Bombcats is pretty neat, and it's free.

If anyone remembers Radiangames, made a bunch of twin-stick shooters, Fireball, etc - this is his next game, this time about... exploding cats. It mixes the flinging genre with almost platformer'y mechanics.

EDIT: It's strangely compelling. It isn't an Angry Birds or Cut The Rope ripoff, it's something else entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuowWOY2VzU

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 17, 2013

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Det_no posted:

It was just one on one I think. There was nothing fancy on the ring or anything. And I am using the buttons but not quite sure what to do when I'm trying to get someone to tap out or how to pin.
Press T to pin. I think your opponent has to be "out" on the ground, and not in some kind of semi-recovery state.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Yes, Kingturn is fantastic and is quite possibly my favorite FFT style tactics game I've ever played. Certainly the best on iOS. For those of you enjoying the game, I have great news: two new titles, Kingturn RPG Plus and Kingturn Underworld are in development. We should have a whole new Kingturn to play next month! :)

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Wait, does Eclipse have issues running on an iPad 3? The 'new iPad'? That's what I have :(

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Bummey posted:

Hey goon what made Luna Bears, you got some splainin to do.

Last ditch effort to get anyone to look at our game.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

Duranki posted:

Wait, does Eclipse have issues running on an iPad 3? The 'new iPad'? That's what I have :(

I've noticed slight pauses occasionally but nothing that makes the game play bad. Mostly just if you try and pan out or scroll across the map really quickly. Nothing that has stopped me from playing it a bunch.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Time posted:

Furthermore, does it even run on a 1?

From the Frozen Synapse thread:

Zip posted:

actually it runs "perfectly" on an ipad one. I have both an ipad 1 and a mini and I can't tell the difference.

$7 is not too much for feeling like an 80s/90s cyberpunk operative sending out commands to his hit squad, just remember to bring your mirror shades and trenchcoat.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Aaaaaaugh for gently caress's sake people, okay, fine! I'll give everyone's precious dogshit-looking-but-apparently-OMG-amazing Kingturn another shot!

:bandwagon:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 18, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Aaaaaaugh for gently caress's sake people, okay, fine! I'll give everyone's precious dogshit-looking-but-apparently-OMG-amazing Kingturn another shot!

:bandwagon:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love tactics-style games, and I would never consider myself a graphics whore, but I feel like I have to draw the "terrible presentation" line somewhere, you know?

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

I'm basically 6 months late on this, but I really like Plague, Inc.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm looking for something with a pretty deep and rewarding upgrade/level-up system and I'm wondering if Star Command might scratch that itch? If not, any suggestions? As long as the actual gameplay isn't terrible it doesn't much matter if I have a million things to spend my e-points on. It doesn't even matter if it feels a bit grindy a long as I get a lot of choices in the way of customization.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love tactics-style games, and I would never consider myself a graphics whore, but I feel like I have to draw the "terrible presentation" line somewhere, you know?

I'm fine with basic top down layouts when done well (shining force, fire emblem, even suikoden 2) but this just looks like someone made usable UI and called it a day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

aw yiss posted:

I'm looking for something with a pretty deep and rewarding upgrade/level-up system and I'm wondering if Star Command might scratch that itch? If not, any suggestions? As long as the actual gameplay isn't terrible it doesn't much matter if I have a million things to spend my e-points on. It doesn't even matter if it feels a bit grindy a long as I get a lot of choices in the way of customization.

No :( you get a little bit of leeway in what rooms you install in your ship, but BARELY. Then each one has 3 upgrades which you'll basically grab in no particular order whenever you can afford them, with half of them (the ones that make the targeting "minigames" easier) totally worthless if you're not already having trouble with targeting. Then you'll realize you're maybe halfway through the game and have all your poo poo already maxed out. Your crew can level up but the bonuses they get weren't interesting or compelling enough to make grinding stuff out feel remotely satisfying. I know I sound pretty negative but I don't think it's, like, a BAD game-- I was just extremely disappointed with the upgrade progression/customization options. I don't personally regret dropping a few bucks on it because it does a few things really well, but if you're anything like me it's not gonna scratch the itch you're talking about.

Edit: off the top of my head, looking at my currently-installed games, have you tried Knights of Pen & Paper? It's a fairly traditional turn-based RPG but your characters have a ton of customization options and it's got a lot of cute, weird flavor that kept it from getting old even with my terrible attention span.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 18, 2013

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

SAHChandler posted:

I'm basically 6 months late on this, but I really like Plague, Inc.

Brilliant game that keeps getting additions. It's a go-to time killer for me and I enjoy naming them after people

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

goferchan posted:

Edit: off the top of my head, looking at my currently-installed games, have you tried Knights of Pen & Paper? It's a fairly traditional turn-based RPG but your characters have a ton of customization options and it's got a lot of cute, weird flavor that kept it from getting old even with my terrible attention span.

Looks pretty good from the videos I watched; Probably gonna pick it up, thanks!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Adventure Bar Story is currently free and a neat little game that had some positive buzz back when it came out. Not the prettiest RPG but a pretty solid fit for a mobile.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Det_no posted:

Adventure Bar Story is currently free and a neat little game that had some positive buzz back when it came out. Not the prettiest RPG but a pretty solid fit for a mobile.

Kinda looks like poor woman's Recettear...

MMOs & Welfare posted:

Please let me know if you discover a fix for this, I haven't been able to play this game for like a month now. I've dropped like ~15 bucks on it too so it is especially annoying to me.

I have yet to find *anything* on it. All I've managed to google up was this thread which offered advice such as, "Sometimes games just crash for no reason, just check until it works."

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 18, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Speaking of, anyone want to fire off some Pen and Paper tips? I'm not looking for an exact, sure fire way to overpower the game, just some general knowledge I should really have.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Pitnicker posted:

Yes, Kingturn is fantastic and is quite possibly my favorite FFT style tactics game I've ever played. Certainly the best on iOS. For those of you enjoying the game, I have great news: two new titles, Kingturn RPG Plus and Kingturn Underworld are in development. We should have a whole new Kingturn to play next month! :)

Holy poo poo, that is the best news. Yesterday I played the finals of that tournament mission on difficulty 5 for two hours without either side gaining an advantage and had to retreat eventually to go to sleep. Couldn't get enemy spawn rate below 88% but it was a blast and in this game you keep all your gains after retreating which is another feature that makes it the best game, you never feel like you've wasted your time.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

DrSalt posted:

I've noticed slight pauses occasionally but nothing that makes the game play bad. Mostly just if you try and pan out or scroll across the map really quickly. Nothing that has stopped me from playing it a bunch.

As you would expect, it does run a little better on an iPad 2 than an iPad 3.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There's an update for Sid Meier's Ace Patrol that fixes the multiplayer. And it is good. You pimp out 3 planes with upgrades and maneuvers and skills, then get assigned a random mission, so you never know quite what you are preparing for. I've got one match going that has me defending a balloon while attacking his, and another where I must shoot down one plane without losing any of mine.

Seems about perfect, looking forward to getting some battles in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Frozen Synapse is really good. The controls are very nice and work perfectly on an iPad.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Frozen Synapse is really good. The controls are very nice and work perfectly on an iPad.

Seconding this! It's amazing and waiting for the iOS version for two years was totally worth it. I'm Flixxx if you want to play :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aw yiss posted:

Det_no posted:

In a similar vein, Avernum 6 HD has been marked down to $2.99 from $6.99. If you like traditional isometric Western RPGs at all (think Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) you should REALLY be staring hard at this. I haven't had time to fire it up for more than about 5 minutes, but I haven't found anything offensive in the controls yet. It's not a dumbed down port, either, you have the full game. It was running fine on my wife's iPad 1, so I imagine it should be smooth sailing on anything else imaginable.

A quick note on the game: Yes, it's #6. No you don't need to have played 1-5 to get the plot, but if you have you'll appreciate some in-references and the like. The developer is firmly in the "gameplay and story before graphics" camp, but it's not bad looking at all. Certainly not as rough as some of the RPG strategy games which get heaped with goon love. We're not talking beautiful hand-painted backgrounds like BG, but we're also not into developer-grade 'art' assets either.

Anyways, if you want a fully developed, party-driven RPG with a good story that's set in someplace that isn't TSR/WotC IP you NEED to look at this.

omg chael crash posted:

Speaking of, anyone want to fire off some Pen and Paper tips? I'm not looking for an exact, sure fire way to overpower the game, just some general knowledge I should really have.

I too would enjoy some PnP for Newbies tips. I finally got into it this weekend and I'd just like to make sure I'm not humping myself long-term by doing something silly.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

For knights of pen and paper, I beat most of it, and just haven't gone back for some of the post main stuff. Pretty early on you will meet an NPc that can respec and delete people. I did the game with 4 people because I wanted to unlock all the classes before picking the final person. Never did add someone in that spot. New class quests should be pretty obvious, as the giver will be shaman/berserker/etc. Levels were never a problem, and I over leveled the main quest once or twice because I did all the side quests whenever I could. If you add someone new to your party, a great way to level the up is fighting a max group of elite rats in the town.

For the blacksmith, it took forever for me to realize the shop in each town sells grindstones to level him up. Getting the loaded dice and other +1 roll modifiers help with him too. I wouldn't get any upgrades until you are at a base 70% chance.

My group was Mage/paladin/thief/cleric. Every hard fight went basically the same, with the cleric weakening, thief vanishing then double strike each turn, paladin had her shield up and did the leader strike or healed and Mage fireballed every turn. Very rarely had any close calls with that.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is Worms 2: Armageddon any good? It just came down to 69p according to Appshopper, was wondering if it was worth playing or if it's just not worth playing? Noticed that it seems to float around £3 normally.

It's dreadful.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ZarathustraFollower posted:

For knights of pen and paper, I beat most of it, and just haven't gone back for some of the post main stuff. Pretty early on you will meet an NPc that can respec and delete people. I did the game with 4 people because I wanted to unlock all the classes before picking the final person. Never did add someone in that spot. New class quests should be pretty obvious, as the giver will be shaman/berserker/etc. Levels were never a problem, and I over leveled the main quest once or twice because I did all the side quests whenever I could. If you add someone new to your party, a great way to level the up is fighting a max group of elite rats in the town.

For the blacksmith, it took forever for me to realize the shop in each town sells grindstones to level him up. Getting the loaded dice and other +1 roll modifiers help with him too. I wouldn't get any upgrades until you are at a base 70% chance.

My group was Mage/paladin/thief/cleric. Every hard fight went basically the same, with the cleric weakening, thief vanishing then double strike each turn, paladin had her shield up and did the leader strike or healed and Mage fireballed every turn. Very rarely had any close calls with that.

Add ranger to the group for pretty much the best team in the game. Best part is ranger is unlocked I the first town.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Also keep an eye on quests with the golden star on the Accept button -- these are main storyline quests. I got to about level 20 before I realized I was supposed to be doing something other than putter around and smack dudes.

A druid with the +1 turn ability is a great sub -- I had Druid, Thief (vanish + double strike deals a ton of damage), Paladin (aggro support), and two other damage dealers that were pretty okay. Druid's regeneration skill is a good heal, while Hibernate trivializes every single non-boss fight since you effectively take someone out of battle for 7 turns as long as you don't have a skill that randomly hits the enemy.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Given the metagame quality of playing as players, it'd be criminal not to rules lawyer every conceivable goonish bonus you could possibly get.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Also keep an eye on quests with the golden star on the Accept button -- these are main storyline quests. I got to about level 20 before I realized I was supposed to be doing something other than putter around and smack dudes.

A druid with the +1 turn ability is a great sub -- I had Druid, Thief (vanish + double strike deals a ton of damage), Paladin (aggro support), and two other damage dealers that were pretty okay. Druid's regeneration skill is a good heal, while Hibernate trivializes every single non-boss fight since you effectively take someone out of battle for 7 turns as long as you don't have a skill that randomly hits the enemy.

What is this thief nonsense, ranger are better in every way. :colbert:

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Shwqa posted:

What is this thief nonsense, ranger are better in every way. :colbert:

ranger+necro+bard buff = ~1000 AoE damage, thief can get ~1300 solo damage though. I played this game way too much, my ranger was like level 80 when I quit...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

heiden posted:

ranger+necro+bard buff = ~1000 AoE damage, thief can get ~1300 solo damage though. I played this game way too much, my ranger was like level 80 when I quit...
I think the only thing that can be definitely said is DON'T use a Warrior. I hate my warrior so bad. I guess Grandma kind of generates threat, but no where near enough to actively focus the damage on her, and between my druid and priest, I really don't care about damage going elsewhere anyways (so long as they don't pick on the thief, who can avoid it anyways). Meanwhile, she does poo poo damage compared to a Paladin, and the Paladin has a ton of awesome support abilities to boot, AND generates threat seemingly just as well.

When you respec, can you change classes, or just reset the current class? I want to bin the warrior for a Something Else, and maybe another dude, but the thought of leveling them back up to 20 in the new class from scratch is horrible.

Druid is awesome. Not the most exciting class, but they combo amazingly with a thief. Sleep on an enemy for guaranteed critical hit, attack with a Thief, boom, mega damage - and you can chain the sleeps around, keeping the entire field neutralized. Between the Thief's knockout ability, the Mage's freeze, and the Druid's sleep, most enemy encounters don't get more than a handful of hits off on me. By turn 2, I've got everyone slept or frozen, and then I just chain the sleeps and the stuns to keep them that way and pile on the crits.

(and then when that cycling runs your mana dry, Druid pops their refresh ability, boom, you're right back at it)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 18, 2013

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Shalinor posted:

I think the only thing that can be definitely said is DON'T use a Warrior.

If you want the best party, warrior will be in there due to his medium-AOE, more abilities to buff physical damage and the way weapon damage scales compared to magic damage. The game is kinda broken if you look at its inner workings but it's good for simple fun.

Apparently my penchant for powerleveling/gamebreaking iOS rpg's has resulted in my very own King Cashing 2 weapon, months after I stopped playing it unfortunately:

I remember the devs posting that I got further into the game a week after its release than they expected anyone to ever do, I really need to get a life :smith:

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

I really need to give Knights of Pen & Paper another shot. I bought it right before a long plane trip which should've been the perfect time to get into it but just found the combat to be the worst kind of bland. I'm sure once you've leveled your party up a bit and unlocked more abilities combat gets more interesting. I also found the setting kind of off-putting. It's a cute idea but I like my RPGs played straight for whatever reason, even if they end up being derivative and silly. Which segues nicely into my next topic:

Thanks to this thread, I picked up Adventure Bar Story for free. Based on the name I thought it was gonna be another Kairosoft watch-numbers-get-bigger affair (which I am totally burned out on). I was quite pleased to find instead that it's a quirky JRPG where you manage a tavern and go out and battle monsters to get ingredients for your food. It's an utterly bizarre mash up of gameplay styles. You eat food to level up, but also sell it in your tavern. You need to strike a balance between leveling your characters which will allow you access to new areas with harder monsters and better ingredients, and introducing new items on your menu to level up your tavern and progress the story. It's really dumb but kinda fun in its own way and certainly worthwhile for the grand admission price of $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The one thing I don't like about Frozen Synapse is that it's almost too good, apart from the UI clusterfuck, which is a necessary evil.

And aesthetically, (being totally objective) it has a serious gleam, which basically means its been burnished by artisans who care.

• Locked thread