Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Pyro-GX is a lot more iconic, that's sure; but without six axis of freedom, it would never be true. Flight is just one part of the deal here. In Descent you have turn on the pitch, roll, and yaw axes, and move on the X, Y, and Z axes. In ZDoom you only have yaw, limited pitch*, no roll; and moving up and down doesn't really work like moving left and right or forward and backward.

*software prevents you from going too far in either direction, and even in OpenGL you cannot make a 360° pitch turn.

I suppose you can fake a shitload of the Descent effects (like how wobbly it is when you turn around), but it won't be the same. :smith:

Jesus Christ, I suck at Shadow Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lork posted:

Ah, that makes more sense. Unfortunately I think that's pretty unlikely to happen. The creator of ZDoom has flat out refused to implement (or allow the inclusion of) some features that many people have asked for because they weren't "in the spirit of Doom" or something like that, and this one is even less Doom-like than some of those.

That sounds more like Graf than like Randy.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Law posted:

I don't remember, but I can take a look tonight.

E: Welp, I'm able to fall through the center of the pentagram. Try that again? :) I'm using Fitzquake Mark V... I don't imagine the Quake engine should make any difference for this sort of thing, but what are you using?

(And did you install+run the Drake mod?)

I use darkplaces and start via quakeinjector. Drake mod is installed. Maybe I will try another source port and see what happens.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I never played a Descent game, where should I start? Is there a source port I should look into?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

I never played a Descent game, where should I start? Is there a source port I should look into?
Try this one: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

There's also http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html but it's only for Descent 2. And also:

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just wanted to chime in from the last-page discussion. DXX-Rebirth is really the best source port for Descent, IMHO. I spent most of the weekend trying to compare Rebirth with D2X-XL, and it came down to two points:

1.) D2X-XL is prettier.
2.) DXX-Rebirth actually works.

I had more problems and issues following the godawful instructions and setup with D2X-XL than I'd like to think about. Rebirth "just works", like Zdoom/Zandronum "just works". Throw your PIG/HOG files in the executable directory and off you go. D2X-XL crashes when you don't set your lightmapping settings "just right", the sound distorts to nothing when there's too many explosions going on, the forums support is spotty... it wasn't a fun endeavor for what boils down to some graphical enhancements.

Rebirth enhances very little (other than high resolution, trilinear filtering and anti-aliasing... and TCP/IP play, of course), but at least it's stable.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
I played through most of Descent 1 with DXX-Rebirth last year and it was awesome. The levels get kind of exhaustingly huge and complicated towards the end though and I eventually lost interest about 3/4ths of the way through the game. Still, definitely worth playing. gently caress drillers though.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Echoing that D2X-XL is completely hosed right now. I gave it a try to see if it was worth using over Rebirth since it has some extra features that aren't and won't be included in Rebirth, but it is just broken. For example, if you set any weapons above "Never Autoselect" in your preferences, you start the game with all of them. Yes. You can start the game with every single weapon just by enabling Autoselect for them :psyduck:

How the gently caress this got released at all is beyond me. I didn't download a beta version or anything, and the version I tried several years ago (which also had a lot of issues) was at least functional, more or less.

Stay away from XL for a while yet. D2X-w32, if you can still find it, offers a lot of features that are pretty cool that Rebirth doesn't have, but it's hard to get it running on modern systems.

Lamacq posted:

Still, definitely worth playing. gently caress drillers though.

God, no kidding. You think they're bad normally, don't even try playing the game on Insane. The mission where they're first introduced (fifth level or so) is full of very long hallways with no cover, and usually as soon as you are about 50% of the way down the hall, one of them will just tear rear end out of nowhere with zero warning and reduce your shield to 0 in a couple of seconds, just like that. Usually they scare the gently caress out of me so bad I can't even fire off a homing missile in time, and when I do, it takes too long to connect to save me. Hitting them with your own Vulcan cannon is unreliable at stunning them, too. You can either engage them and take no damage if you get the drop on them and fire a Concussion Missile around a corner or something, or you can take a [near-]fatal amount of punishment almost instantly. There is no middle ground. OH AND LATER ON SOME OF THEM HAVE CLOAKING DEVICES, just to laugh at your homing missiles.

Don't play Descent on Ace or Insane unless you really want a brutal experience. It's fun, though, if you're crazy like me.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 15, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm trying to give Shadow Warrior a go, using the SWP port, but no matter what I do the mouse settings are completely screwed. This isn't in the way that Build engine games generally have not so great mouse-aim, it's more that the game is completely unplayable, with the vertical axis moving fast and the horizontal axis barely moving at all. I can't find anyway to edit SWP's mouse support from the launcher and also not sure if it's possible to use BMouse with it. Anyone had similar issues?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

I'm trying to give Shadow Warrior a go, using the SWP port, but no matter what I do the mouse settings are completely screwed. This isn't in the way that Build engine games generally have not so great mouse-aim, it's more that the game is completely unplayable, with the vertical axis moving fast and the horizontal axis barely moving at all. I can't find anyway to edit SWP's mouse support from the launcher and also not sure if it's possible to use BMouse with it. Anyone had similar issues?

I've tried this in the past and had the same issue, you can use bmouse for it, but even then it feels wrong.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How can we play Heretic/Hexen online in co-op? The source ports don't have campaign co-op in mind. The best we have found is that you can relaunch the game with the command line to load a save game any time you die as you lose all your inventory.

Instead we played Quake 1 with kleshik which turned out to be loving terrible. Combining all the expansions is good, randomising spawns would have been ok if it was optional but the random idiotic screen effects and super enemies feel cribbed from a 13 year olds game design document.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 15, 2013

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Carecat posted:

How can we play Heretic/Hexen online in co-op? The source ports don't have campaign co-op in mind. The best we have found is that you can relaunch the game with the command line to load a save game any time you die as you lose all your inventory.

In the OP:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd like to suggest that the HeXeN section gets some more information put into it. Mostly because a few friends and I decided to replay Hexen recently, and found out that every single port has it's own problems if you plan on playing it co-op.

jDoom was the first choice as it's what we used years ago, only to find it's developed a new bug: The clients always use multiple items hitting the use key once, regardless of key repeat settings. This makes HeXeN, unfortunately, unplayable.

Skull Tag worked great.. until we realized we couldn't save or load.

zDoom was having it's own set of connection issues every level load attempt.

... so ultimately, here's what we found works best:

To run HeXeN in co-op:

1) Get GZDoom and setup a command line for hosting or clients. I'd recommend you add -extratic to help stability. Some examples:
gzdoom.exe -host X (number of players) -netmode 1 -port xxxx -extratic -skill 5 +playerclass Cleric
gzdoom.exe -join xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx +playerclass Cleric -extratic

Also every single client and the host will need to add -loadgame saveX.zds to their path if you plan on loading a game, and make sure to load the same save game.

2) Make sure all players connect in the same order. If players connect in a different order when picking up a load game, the classes will get scrambled and you'll end up with an odd mess of people who look like Mages, but have mixed weapon sets. Also whoever is hosting will have to host for the rest of the campaign, since they will always be player 0, unless you want to shuffle classes - even then, I am not 100% sure you'll be problem free. It's better to designate a host.

3) When one player saves, no matter what they name the save file, it will save on everyone's system in the exact same slot. When you want to load a save game, everyone will need to add -loadgame save#.zds and make sure that they are all loading the same save to their command line, client and host. Otherwise it will not function.

4) Dying fixes positional desyncs generally. This most importantly includes every single time you go through to another hub. Fortunately you can enter the gameplay options and disable losing anything when you die - so set this (and team damage) and kill your partners to resync them with the host if you get this.

5) I'd recommend each player pick a save slot and save frequently, insuring you have a backup if something goes wrong. This can be a really long game and restarting via map warps annoyingly wipes out your inventory, which is key to Hexen.

... anyway, that's the guide we found to play the game. We're about halfway through and finally have the kinks ironed out. I'll note that we found all this through very, very long and painful trial & error which is why I wanted to share it here, because Hexen is an awesome game to play in c-op but man these issues were annoying. In particular, the connection order one, since we saved after we broke it, and had to restart the game.

It's pretty easy to get going if you know those tricks though, so you don't find yourself trying 50 things to simply enter new hubs, or try tons of combinations to figuring out why your mage suddenly looks like a cleric that is packing the Mage's first weapon and Cleric's second. I highly endorse checking HeXeN out, it's a ton of fun (and if you never played co-op before, it adds co-op specific team support scrolls to help your allies, which is pretty neat!) and can actually be pretty drat difficult in nightmare.. if you play with all three classes you'll notice each class gets specific counter-enemies, so a lot of strategy is involved you just don't see in most Doom FPS or 2.5D games in general.

I hope this helps somebody try it out.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Gonna add to Dxx-Rebirth being good. One of the few issues I had with it is getting the original music to work and sound right. I fixed it by importing the old MIDI files into iTunes and converting them to the format the game takes, since iTunes seems to have about the closest sound font to my old computer from when I was a kid.

I actually have an odd little obsession where if I find out I CAN get Descent to run on a device, I will do so, or at least give a good try. A while back, I discovered somebody made a Descent port to Wii Homebrew, but it seems to want a VERY SPECIFIC version of the game files that I don't have and can't seem to find. Anybody have any luck with that?

I've had another odd obsession of trying to find some kind of Descent merchandise, ever since a childhood friend lied to me about once seeing some Descent Micro Machines. For over 15 years, I've been trying to find something now and then, with no luck. Recently, I considered finding a digital model and using one of those services where they 3D print something for you, but couldn't find anybody with a decent Pyro-GX model that they actually released for download. Then, in the throes of defeat I arbitrarily put "Pyro GX" into Ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Descent-Pyro-GX-Spacecraft-Dried-Wood-Model-Small-New-/390582771557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af08c1f65
Impulse bought it the next day, couldn't pass that up.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Fnoigy posted:

I actually have an odd little obsession where if I find out I CAN get Descent to run on a device, I will do so, or at least give a good try. A while back, I discovered somebody made a Descent port to Wii Homebrew, but it seems to want a VERY SPECIFIC version of the game files that I don't have and can't seem to find. Anybody have any luck with that?

I got it to work, but it ended up boiling down to getting the earliest Descent retail release and then applying patches to it to get it up to the specific version that the Wii port wanted. It's a pretty nice port once you get it running, though. I enjoyed it.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Which version does it want? I have an old CD copy that came with a computer my family bought back in the mid 90's, and it's been my source of game files this whole time.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Carecat posted:

How can we play Heretic/Hexen online in co-op? The source ports don't have campaign co-op in mind.

Zandronum has one, it's easy to set up Heretic or Hexen with either coop spawns or singleplayer spawns.
The short of the matter is use the bundled Doomseeker, allow a port, start up a server, give your friend the IP address of your server.

If you want to tweak whether coop actors or singleplayer actors spawn, use the SV_Coop_SPActorSpawn flag.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Fnoigy posted:

Which version does it want? I have an old CD copy that came with a computer my family bought back in the mid 90's, and it's been my source of game files this whole time.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Descent

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So I want to start mapping in Doom. Does anyone have any handy tips / guides they can link and a suggested builder? Much appreciated.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

maev posted:

So I want to start mapping in Doom. Does anyone have any handy tips / guides they can link and a suggested builder? Much appreciated.

http://www.doombuilder.com/

Its pretty neat and easy to use!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I've been playing with Doom Builder a bit! It's pretty nice, but the only documentation is a reference guide and a bunch of youtube videos. Uggh.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
A long-rear end time ago I wrote a Doom Builder 2 tutorial that might help you.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/55372-my-unfinished-newbie-udmf-level-editing-guide/

Bear in mind that if I were to rewrite it today I'd make it a bit clearer and in a way that doesn't involve throwing you into the deep end. But if you have any questions on mapping I'll be happy to help.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Well hells bells, I've ran into a snag with Outlaws again.

I managed to get all the additional levels working AND the main game WITH cutscenes. I applied the Outlaws 2.0 patch, the windows installer, and had to switch out the OLGEO file to play the single player game. Plus, the Glide installer works beautifully and makes the game run silky smooth.

And then I got to the back half of the single player game, starting with the sawmill. And i'm back to the "unable to load level" sign that kicks me out to the menu again. I tried several different OLGEO files, including the one directly off the CD. At first I thought it was because I was using virtual drives, but even after digging up my old discs the message persists.

If I can't get it to work, no biggie. The first few levels were a blast, just wish I could see the (admittedly weaker) second half.

Any ideas?

P.S. Descent? Hell yes, that's always a good one to sink some time into.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Sawmill is the first level on the second disc. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lamacq posted:

gently caress drillers though.

You've not known rage yet.

This fucker. Right here. Never scared me but goddrat did he piss me off. His wind-up punch alone had me flipping keyboards.

:fake edit: I know he's from Descent 3 but still far more agitating than the driller :arghfist::siren:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Commander Keenan, that's almost certainly causing the problem. Back when I was on an older computer I remember the game having issues recognizing the second CD - usually asking me to insert disk two.

But this just flat out brings up the "unable to load level" and sends me on my way.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Fnoigy posted:

I had this problem too and finally sat down to fix it with the help of this page: http://doomgate.de/content/descent/index.html I compared the checksums on a few files until I had the right one. The kicker was that I could have sworn I had tried the file that ended up being the right one initially, but whatever, it worked. It isn't as pretty as rebirth, but it is Descent on the Wii!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

You've not known rage yet.

This fucker. Right here. Never scared me but goddrat did he piss me off. His wind-up punch alone had me flipping keyboards.

:fake edit: I know he's from Descent 3 but still far more agitating than the driller :arghfist::siren:

Really? I always thought those things were pretty easy kills. Their AI was retarded too.

Descent 3 in general is terrible on higher difficulties though because all your projectile weapons move too slowly, do WAY too much kinetic impact damage causing robots to spin all over the place and thus the dozen OTHER projectiles you fired all miss after the first one hits, and robots are way, way too agile for your slow-as-balls projectiles to keep up with and if you try to lead your targets, they will just dodge out of the way anyway. It's fun on the lower couple of difficulties, but really easy. Any higher and it's harder, but just frustrating and not really fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the robots are dodging you are too far away :madmax:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hah, I agree, though you have to be pretty much right in their faces to actually score hits in Descent 3. Descent 1 and 2 don't have that problem, even against the more agile robots because hits don't send the enemies bouncing all over the place. I just really wish they had toned the kinetic effect down. And made the guns feel less like wet paper towels.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If the author of Community Chest 3, Map #10 "Atlantis Rising" reads this thread: Your map is awful. It is clear that there was effort put into it, but running around a full-bright room for 8 or 9 minutes after you've cleared it, flipping switches and trying to figure out which ladder you need to climb next...that's not fun. That's like the opposite of fun, especially when it comes to "Doom". The way you just sort of plopped a handful of Arch-Viles down in a spot where they couldn't really take advantage of being Arch-Viles should have clued me in that the map was troubled, but sheesh.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Most of the megaWADs really disappointed me. I can imagine that stuff like Alien Vendetta/Memento Mori is great if you just want a more hectic version of Doom, but they left me cold. About the only gigantic mapsets that impressed the heck out of me were Epic 2 (egyptian themed with a few alien-style levels for variety) and Batman Doom.

I'm sure there are great maps hidden away in stuff like Community Chest, but then again I'm clearly not the main audience for these WADs. I like big spectacles and new experiences - and stuff like Deus Vult favors nonstop difficult action and slaughter.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Narcissus1916 posted:

Most of the megaWADs really disappointed me. I can imagine that stuff like Alien Vendetta/Memento Mori is great if you just want a more hectic version of Doom, but they left me cold. About the only gigantic mapsets that impressed the heck out of me were Epic 2 (egyptian themed with a few alien-style levels for variety) and Batman Doom.

I'm sure there are great maps hidden away in stuff like Community Chest, but then again I'm clearly not the main audience for these WADs. I like big spectacles and new experiences - and stuff like Deus Vult favors nonstop difficult action and slaughter.

Have you ever played "Winter's Fury"?

I've actually been shocked at the quality of some of the Community Chest Maps. It's funny because the first couple of levels of both CC #1 and #2 are pretty terrible, which gives this immediate impression that each one is composed of 32 circa 1994 first-attempts. Then you come across a Tormentor667 map or something with a really novel concept and it instantly makes up for it. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for GZDoom features that are used well (or unobtrusively, complementing the aesthetic but not hurting the flow of the level), but I didn't realize how many of these maps were present, even in the earliest CC packs. It usually makes up for the terrible levels.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Community Chests have typically been a group showcase of lesser known mappers. Only CC4 is really a stand-out collection of great levels - it's a little bit uneven in quality, but even the worst of them is still far better than most vanilla Doom 2 levels.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

The Community Chests have typically been a group showcase of lesser known mappers. Only CC4 is really a stand-out collection of great levels - it's a little bit uneven in quality, but even the worst of them is still far better than most vanilla Doom 2 levels.

I was going to call the ratio of good CC maps to bad CC maps the "Sandy Petersen Ratio" until I realized that he made one of my favorite maps (Tricks N Traps) and now I don't know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Duke 3D Megaton Edition is half-price on Steam for the next 12 hours or so.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was going to call the ratio of good CC maps to bad CC maps the "Sandy Petersen Ratio" until I realized that he made one of my favorite maps (Tricks N Traps) and now I don't know.

Tricks and Traps is one of my LEAST favorite maps. But then I loved Downtown which I'm pretty sure is another Petersen map...

Edit: Is Megaton Edition worth it if I have the original? The three expansions and the ability to achievement whore might be...

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 18, 2013

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the Epic 2 tip, playing this with Samsara and some Egyptian-esque music (Estradasphere and Secret Chiefs 3) and having a blast. I loved watching my stepdad play Exhumed/Powerslave back in the day (shame there's no sourceport), and the textures take me right back. Playing with one of the guys from Hexen and feeling like some kind of medieval Indiana Jones wizard exploring a secret, trap-riddled tomb.

A few things I'm wondering you might be able to help me with: I've frequently heard of Pistol starts or seen people just respawn at the beginning of the map when they die, is there a way to enable that in GZDoom? Also, I've never been able to properly alt+tab when running the game in fullscreen (probably due to openGL), so I'm playing in windowed mode, can you set this to borderless somehow? Or is there another workaround I don't know about?

Oenis fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 18, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oenis posted:

A few things I'm wondering you might be able to help me with: I've frequently heard of Pistol starts or seen people just respawn at the beginning of the map when they die, is there a way to enable that in GZDoom?

The least technical method is to never save. That includes disabling autosaves.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Keiya posted:

Edit: Is Megaton Edition worth it if I have the original? The three expansions and the ability to achievement whore might be...

It's a nicely-done port, the front-end looks good, the filter's not bad and like you said it comes with three expansions (well, two good ones and one not-so-good one). Later on they also plan to add Steam-enabled multiplayer, which is great news for anybody who's ever struggled trying to get Dukematch working on modern ports.

It does seem to run a little "fast", as some other people have pointed out. Like I still have my old disc copy's .grp running in eDuke32, and I've tried both back-to-back and Megaton feels a bit too fast. But I don't know if that's an eDuke issue or Megaton issue, since it's been too long to remember how fast the game ran back in the day.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Oenis posted:

I've frequently heard of Pistol starts or seen people just respawn at the beginning of the map when they die, is there a way to enable that in GZDoom?

You could use my pistol start wad, it forces pistol start on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oenis posted:

I loved watching my stepdad play Exhumed/Powerslave back in the day (shame there's no sourceport)

Poor Powerslave.
Some people talk about Blood as the epitome of the Build engine, but Powerslave has always had a neat little niche in my heart. Inventive enemies, incredible weapons, Metroid Prime-ish gameplay before Metroid Prime was even a glint in Nintendo's eye, and a crappy PC port.