Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Race books are a brilliant idea. I'd love to see Halfling especially.

I've made a draft playbook for The Brute and I think it's loving badass. The class focuses around charging enemies and smashing through walls, then picking an enemy up to beat the rest of them with and finally throwing the only survivor off a cliff, all while drenched in blood and laughing off multiple mortal wounds.
I'd love to get more criticism, as I've got far too many moves and need to cut several (unsurprisingly, the idea of a class that hurls and crushes enemies is pretty fun to make moves for!).

Here are the pdfs, fully playable (but not quite complete) right now:
Playbook: Sheet 1 (starting moves, background, names etc.)
Playbook sheet 2 (equipment and advanced moves)

quote:

The Brute

image: Diablo 3 barbarian

Core Moves
Armed and Dangerous
When you pick up an enemy and swing them around, treat them as a weapon with the reach, forceful and awkward tags.

Behemoth (STR)
When you use your bulk against multiple enemies at once, roll 2d6+Str. On a 10+ several enemies are swept back. On a 7-9, something’s gone wrong! Choose one:
* all bar one avoid the attack
* you hit something unintended
* you’re put in a spot

Smash (STR)
When you bash or barrel through an obstacle, roll + Str. On a 10+ choose two, 7-9 choose one:
* it barely slows you, only taking a single hit
* you can use the torn object as a weapon with the messy and forceful tags.
* the environment starts to collapse, or you send debris flying
* you don’t damage something unintentional

Is that all you’ve got? (CON)
When you deliberately take the full brunt of a melee attack, roll 2d6+Con. On a hit, choose one. On a 10+ you also shrug off half the damage or effect (before armour).
* you grab them, pulling them close/ off balance/ shove them.
* you discover a weakness, describe it
* their weapon is lodged in your flesh, disarming them

Smash is currently an advanced move in favour of Hurl being a starting move, mainly because I love the idea of chucking goblins at each other far too much. Are the moves any good? I don't have any multiclass moves as I didn't have any space left! If I did go for multiclass, it'd probably open up the Barbarian playbook as it's just cool.

Please keep this SA-only at the moment, as I'm thinking about putting it up for sale later (free to goons!).

E: also cheers to fenarisk! Both for the inkscape template (total lifesaver; I wouldn't have had a clue how to make this without it) and also for letting me have the Brute name :yayclod:

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Looks really cool, will definitely be a fun class to have in a game. My favourite bits: Steadfast, Titan, Home Run, and Crush are fantastic moves.

Quick things that jump out:

The wording on Relentless is a bit quirky. On a hit you survive with 1HP, but on a 7-9 you still die - it's not quite clear if that's how it's supposed to work, or if you still get your Last Breath afterwards. If the 7-9 result is "you get a free action before you die" then the 1HP thing is misleading, it could do with some clarification.

The choices on Smash have some overlap. When you only have one choice, choosing between:
* the environment starts to collapse, or you send debris flying
* you don’t damage something unintentional
seems like you're going to get screwed by collateral damage either way. If the environment starts collapsing, that's dangerous because it's going to damage something intentional. I might collapse those into one, or allow "pick three, pick two" as per the Fighter's BBLG.

Strength of Will doesn't seem a particularly interesting move. It seems very passive and amounts to "roll to get a +1 to stat for some length of time". Nothing stops you from rolling again after the hours expire. Continuing on despite debility is flavourful, but I don't think it needs a move, and if you're looking for moves to cut this would be on my list. You Have Failed Me For the Last Time is the other one that doesn't quite fits the class archetype (or at least, fits other archetypes much better) and isn't that exciting - if you have other interesting social moves on your backburner they could go in there too!

Leap is really cool flavour, but only refers to landing from a jump or fall - if you want the Brute to be making epic D3-Barbarian-style leaps all over the place, it could use an extra clause in there about you being able to do that.

Hurl lets you throw someone hard against something, which one imagines would be damaging - is "you deal your class damage" implied in the wording of that?

Overall: The move names are simple, which is fine, but at the moment it's a bit hard to remember which move is which based on the names. Between Atlas, Massive, Juggernaut, and Steadfast (and Smash and Crush) they aren't particularly distinct. You could probably go a little crazier with the descriptors - I know you're trying to convey the simple brutality of the class but it may help to differentiate them a bit more.

e: If you're going for loving badass, you could play with the wording on some of the moves, since the badassery is all in the fiction (rather than in the damage dealing or whatever). Juggernaut's "several are forced back" could easily be "your enemies are sent sprawling". Hurl's "it lands how you want it to (heavily, lightly)" could be "it crashes violently into something" (I can't think of a situation where you would throw anything lightly, actually).

Also I just want to add that being able to eat your armour as a ration is a stroke of mad genius

Boing fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 16, 2013

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Looking around all those custom classes I found none that represents the mundane genius.
The Sherlock Holmes', Dr. Houses, Ender Wiggins' and Tavis of Dungeon World.

Thinking about a potential classbook i doubt that there is enough in those Concepts alone that would merit it's own class.
Do you have any ideas about potential secondary and tertiary concepts you could include in such a class?
Also some tinkerer/mechanic abilities?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

E: also cheers to fenarisk! Both for the inkscape template (total lifesaver; I wouldn't have had a clue how to make this without it) and also for letting me have the Brute name :yayclod:

Glad it went to good use man.

Only critique I got is I think giving a 6-10 move as an option for a starting background is a little too "strong", but that's just me.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Well, here's the Compendium Sheet for The Masquerade, with the changes I mentioned earlier. If there's anything else that folks think need to get changed around or updated, let me know.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

cybertier posted:

Looking around all those custom classes I found none that represents the mundane genius.

Thinking about a potential classbook i doubt that there is enough in those Concepts alone that would merit it's own class.
Do you have any ideas about potential secondary and tertiary concepts you could include in such a class?

I would start by looking carefully at the Noble's kit and see what you could use from there.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

cybertier posted:

You could combine it with some sort of tactician or loremaster.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Race books are a brilliant idea. I'd love to see Halfling especially.

I've made a draft playbook for The Brute and I think it's loving badass. The class focuses around charging enemies and smashing through walls, then picking an enemy up to beat the rest of them with and finally throwing the only survivor off a cliff, all while drenched in blood and laughing off multiple mortal wounds.
I'd love to get more criticism, as I've got far too many moves and need to cut several (unsurprisingly, the idea of a class that hurls and crushes enemies is pretty fun to make moves for!).

Here are the pdfs, fully playable (but not quite complete) right now:
Playbook: Sheet 1 (starting moves, background, names etc.)
Playbook sheet 2 (equipment and advanced moves)

Smash is currently an advanced move in favour of Hurl being a starting move, mainly because I love the idea of chucking goblins at each other far too much. Are the moves any good? I don't have any multiclass moves as I didn't have any space left! If I did go for multiclass, it'd probably open up the Barbarian playbook as it's just cool.

Please keep this SA-only at the moment, as I'm thinking about putting it up for sale later (free to goons!).

You know, you can combine those pdfs into a single file really easily.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

cybertier posted:

Whatever you do, don't give him Logical.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

As a side opinion, I think Background and Drive are nice, but I think in some settings Race might be just as good too if each of the races have a cool thing they can do. Personally I wouldn't mind if somehow Race, Drive, Background, and Bonds all fit on the side but I know that's smooshing it somewhat from a design perspective.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Boing posted:

The wording on Relentless is a bit quirky.
The choices on Smash have some overlap.
Yeah! I was toying with a 7-9 result taking the Brute into negative HP and giving them only a moment to heal up into positive before a normal death, but that got truncated poorly when I typed it up. The smash results make a lot of sense to combine, will do.

Totally agree that Strength of Will and You have failed me for the last time are a bit rubbish. I like the idea of being able to power through a debility, but the mechanics I came up with are a bit dull. Back to the drawing board!

Leap would definitely be cooler with actually being able to perform the massive jumps. I'll add that in!
Hurl is meant to do class damage, yeah. Might clarify that.

quote:

Overall: The move names are simple, which is fine, but at the moment it's a bit hard to remember which move is which based on the names. Between Atlas, Massive, Juggernaut, and Steadfast (and Smash and Crush) they aren't particularly distinct. You could probably go a little crazier with the descriptors - I know you're trying to convey the simple brutality of the class but it may help to differentiate them a bit more.

e: If you're going for loving badass, you could play with the wording on some of the moves, since the badassery is all in the fiction (rather than in the damage dealing or whatever). Juggernaut's "several are forced back" could easily be "your enemies are sent sprawling". Hurl's "it lands how you want it to (heavily, lightly)" could be "it crashes violently into something" (I can't think of a situation where you would throw anything lightly, actually).

Also I just want to add that being able to eat your armour as a ration is a stroke of mad genius
This is great to know, thanks! That line about "your enemies are sent sprawling" is going straight in and I'll differentiate the move names more.
The "lightly" option is there on Hurl for chucking your allies or something valuable about, though I would find it pretty funny if the only option was a particularly violent landing:

"Hey, can you give me a hand up this ledge?"
"Sure thing!"
*crunch*

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Those of you paying attention may notice I hadn't been updating the content post lately. It now has been - everything in this thread should be linked in the content post up to this point. If you feel something is missing from the content post, either post about it in the thread or send me a PM and I'll get that in there.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Looking to finish up/clean up my previous playbooks and the new ones by the end of next week, so I'm wondering where the best place might be to host them for free. Any ideas, or should I just petition Sage to throw them on the official site? I personally don't mind the free bit since it's mostly been a learning experience and a stepping stone if I want to point to them as a reference when/if I do a setting or ever finish my Eclipse Phase conversion.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The link to the brute (P2) has an extra slash at the start, which breaks the formatting:
The Supreme Court's Brute (page 1) ([/url=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz0lilU7GQ4cR2hUT2QxOHV3Z00/edit]Page 2[/url])
Also, my Necromancer should probably be marked as in progress (as it's barely functional), though I'm definitely intending on finishing it. Other than that, it looks good on a quick scan. Thanks for keeping it updated!

Fenarisk posted:

Glad it went to good use man.

Only critique I got is I think giving a 6-10 move as an option for a starting background is a little too "strong", but that's just me.
It is a bit odd, but deliberately so; the Renowned move is quite weak mechanically. It's intended to represent The Brute having an established reputation, so it's locked with the 6-10 moves to represent by that point the character probably is quite well known. I figured it'd make an unusual origins story, but I'm not sure it works.

E: google docs might work for hosting; it's free and you can (probably) connect it with the G+ community easier than dropbox.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 17, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah! I was toying with a 7-9 result taking the Brute into negative HP and giving them only a moment to heal up into positive before a normal death, but that got truncated poorly when I typed it up. The smash results make a lot of sense to combine, will do.

Totally agree that Strength of Will and You have failed me for the last time are a bit rubbish. I like the idea of being able to power through a debility, but the mechanics I came up with are a bit dull. Back to the drawing board!

"Powering through a debility" means "being fuckoff strong enough that you don't care about a little -1" :colbert:

Instead of Strength of Will, how about a move for getting stronger/angrier or fighting harder as you lose health? It fits the 'Hulk' archetype and you could easily make some kind of bloodied mechanic, which I think is always interesting from a gamey perspective (if I stay low on health I can do a lot of damage, but it's risky), but I can't think of how it'd work without being some kind of flat mechanical bonus. If you can figure out a cool fictional effect along those lines it might fit that gap.

quote:

The "lightly" option is there on Hurl for chucking your allies or something valuable about, though I would find it pretty funny if the only option was a particularly violent landing:

"Hey, can you give me a hand up this ledge?"
"Sure thing!"
*crunch*

It did occur to me that you might throw your allies, I guess I just automatically assumed that you'd be throwing them at enemies, in which case a violent landing is fine (it's implied the enemies have the worst of it).

I dunno, the current wording of "it lands how you want it to" is a bit waffly. I'd be totally okay with that option being "it smashes the gently caress out of itself or something else", which I think sounds better and fits the class better (forgive me for saying so). If you do want to throw an ally safely to some location for whatever reason, you can still do that, but you are a big strong guy why wouldn't you want to smash something with them.

Just a Flesh Wound is kind of a weak move, I can't see anyone taking it over something like Bellow or Berserk or Steadfast. Scars can probably make for some cool fictional moves otherwise, though. And there is still space for a social move in there somewhere. I guess it is easy to critique but harder to be creative!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Boing posted:

"Powering through a debility" means "being fuckoff strong enough that you don't care about a little -1" :colbert:
A silly advanced move I had been thinking about was something like Die Hard (requires Strength of Will): Death counts as a debility, but yeah, the whole concept is a bit mechanically unintersting.

Definitely like the idea of a bloodied mechanic. It fits the class quite well in fiction situations too; I'm trying to encourage close-up crazy fighting and risky moves. The tightrope of increasing vulnerability for power sits well with me. I've got some vague ideas that I'll flesh out tomorrow.

quote:

I dunno, the current wording of "it lands how you want it to" is a bit waffly. I'd be totally okay with that option being "it smashes the gently caress out of itself or something else", which I think sounds better and fits the class better (forgive me for saying so). If you do want to throw an ally safely to some location for whatever reason, you can still do that, but you are a big strong guy why wouldn't you want to smash something with them.
You're right, that does suit the class much better! I had been thinking "but what if you want to throw something delicate?", rather than don't give anything delicate to the brute.

quote:

Just a Flesh Wound is kind of a weak move, I can't see anyone taking it over something like Bellow or Berserk or Steadfast. Scars can probably make for some cool fictional moves otherwise, though. And there is still space for a social move in there somewhere. I guess it is easy to critique but harder to be creative!
The intention is to distract an entire crowd, making the rest of the team's job (e.g. rob a bank) dramatically easier, but I can definitely see how it pales to breaking goblins over your knee. Hrm. I had been thinking of basing the scar move on serious injuries, rather than skill points, so that might make it a better choice. E.g.

Scarred
When you survive a serious injury, describe the scars and add +1 to your count:
0: Your tales of survival always grant free drinks at the bar, tall or not.
1: This scar is a painful memory: in the same circumstances take +1 to defy danger
2: The story behind your most gruesome wound will keep an audience enthralled, perhaps dangerously so.
3: Your extensive scarring marks you as a man not to be messed with

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

A silly advanced move I had been thinking about was something like Die Hard (requires Strength of Will): Death counts as a debility, but yeah, the whole concept is a bit mechanically unintersting.

That is a cool wording to have on any move, but how about something like this:

When you would be brought to 0 HP or less, you are instead brought to 1 HP and mark a debility of your choice. If you have already marked all debilities, you die.

I realise it's just a form of the Paladin's Bloody Aegis but it seems particularly fitting here, and only works on the brink. Or that could even be the 7-9 result on Relentless, if that's what you were going for? Might be too strong either way.

Scarred
When you survive a serious injury, describe the scars and add +1 to your count:
0: Your tales of survival always grant free drinks at the bar, tall or not.
1: This scar is a painful memory: in the same circumstances take +1 to defy danger
2: The story behind your most gruesome wound will keep an audience enthralled, perhaps dangerously so.
3: Your extensive scarring marks you as a man not to be messed with

Yesss, that's much more interesting! I was trying to come up with something similar, this is a really good take on it.

(may have missed a beat by not naming the original one Wanna Know How I Got These Scars?, though)

4: Your scars strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.
5: Your monstrously scarred skin is thick and calloused, you gain +1 armour.

Call it I Let Each Man Cut Me Once and I will be happy.

I love the class, really look forward to playing with it!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I was idly thinking of a Solid Snake class and I vaguely came up with something I call The Operative. I'm not sure it has enough oomph to be a full class but it could be an interesting compendium maybe.

Key Ideas:
You don't need to consume rations, but if you do, you heal 1d4 HP (in MGS, food heals)
You only start the game with halfling pipeleaf
Its core move would be called something like How Useful and would be about finding useful items in the field
In the spirit of CQC, the Operative wouldn't need weapons to Hack and Slash and would have Initiate-like disarms, throws, arm locks etc
The Operative would be really good at sneaking.

Some ideas for moves I came up with.

How Useful
When you need a useful mundane item in the field roll +WIS. On a 10+ how convenient, you find one nearby. On a 7-9 there's a complication. It's in a locked box, somebody's guarding it, it's not quite what you wanted, you'll have to take a risk to nab it. On a miss, an enemy's got it and might use it against you.

Tactical Espionage
You are a master of stealth, you can remain unseen and unheard when you want to. Mundane sneaking is no problem for you. When you want to sneak somewhere that nobody should be able to roll +WIS. On a 10+ you're there, and nobody's the wiser. On a 7-9 you have a choice, you're caught out in the open but currently unseen or you made it where you wanted to go but you've aroused suspicion. On a miss, the alarm's been raised.

Close Quarters Combat
You are extremely well trained in unarmed combat and your body is a weapon with the Hand and Silent tags. In lieu of attempting lethal takedowns with Hack and Slash, you may roll +STR to attempt Close Quarters Combat maneuvers. On a 10+ pick two, on a 7-9 pick one, on a miss, the enemy turns your move back on you.
- You have the enemy in a joint lock, they are unable to move without extreme pain
- You have disarmed them
- With a quick throw or trip, you have rendered your enemy prone
- You avoided taking a blow in the process

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Ok here's some more of The Slayer:

quote:

Background:

Choose a race, then choose how you came to the path:

Alchemy
Your body has been subjected to harsh alchemical modification. You are immune to poisons, diseases, and other forms of physical corruption.
Curse
The taint festers inside you; you are closer to the monsters you hunt than you care to admit. Those that prey in the night will never prey on you unless provoked.
Prophecy
You were chosen from birth, and fate does not easily change its mind. When you take your last breath, take +2 to the roll.

Starting Moves:

Monster Hunter
You’re a professional. When you spend downtime researching or preparing against a particular kind of enemy, roll +Int. On a 10+, gain 3 Readiness. On a 7-9, gain 2. On a 6-, gain 1.
When engaged in battle against that enemy, you may spend Readiness, one-for-one, on the following:
• Attack its weak point – maximise a single damage roll.
• Predict its movements – treat a single Defy Danger roll as if you rolled 10+.
• Weaken it – take away one of its strengths (a weapon, a position, a dangerous bodypart)

Bestiary Knowledge
You are learned about monsters and how to kill them. Take +1 to Spout Lore about dangerous creatures. When you first encounter a monster, you may ask the GM “what is the most effective weapon against this?” and the GM will answer honestly, or ask you to answer.

Tools of the Trade
You carry an arsenal of specialist monster-hunting tools – silver bolts, wooden stakes, lamp oil, highly specific poisons, and so on. When you rummage through your arsenal for a way to capitalise on an enemy’s weakness, roll +Int. On a 10+, you pull out just the thing, right now. On a 7-9, pick one:
• You have it, but it’s deep in your pack. You are put in a spot as you try to retrieve it.
• You only get something close, but you retrieve it immediately.
On a 6-, you can’t find it right now. You’ll have to improvise.

Grisly Trophy
When you slay a dangerous creature, you may impart some of its power into a trophy – a horn, a claw, a skull, or some other body part. For each trophy you take, choose a nonmagical move from that creature’s move list. As long as you wear the trophy on your person, you may spend 1 Readiness to perform that move.

Advance Moves
When you gain a level from 2–5, choose from these moves:

Alchemist
Sometimes you need an edge. When you brew a potion to strengthen, augment, or restore, describe what it does and roll +Int.
On a hit, it works mostly as intended. On a 7-9, the concoction is also toxic – its imbiber takes -1 ongoing while under it effects. On a miss, it is drinkable, but the effects are not pretty.

Law of Surprise
When you are promised a boon for your services, whatever it is - gold, lands, property, their first-born child - that promise cannot be broken. All parties involved, no matter how willing, are bound to fulfil the letter of the agreement as far as they are able. The consequences of that agreement are yours.

Lord of Bones
While you wear three or more Grisly Trophies, their combined bulk gives you +1 armor.

Sixth Sense
You have some way of detecting unnatural threats around you (a magical medallion, an innate danger sense, a glowing weapon, or something similar). danger sense, a glowing weapon, or something similar). Neither magic nor monsters can ever take you by surprise – you always feel their presence before they come upon you, and may always make the first move.

Tooth and Nail
When you fashion one of your Grisly Trophies into a weapon, describe it. That weapon is 2-weight. Choose two appropriate tags for it from the list below:
• Fierce creature: messy
• Huge creature: reach
• Powerful creature: forceful
• Agile creature: precise
• Tough creature: +1 armor
• Venomous creature: poisoned (that creature’s venom), touch
• Magical creature: ignores armor

Trapper
Add the following to the list for Monster Hunter:
• Ensnare it in a trap of your own design.

Witcher’s Tricks
You have some basic understanding of primal magics. When you take this move, pick one of the following tricks:
Fire: Set something alight
Force: Move something suddenly
Freeze: Hold something in place
Thought: Plant or remove a simple thought
When you gesture with your hand and utter a word of power, roll +Str. On a 10+, your magic takes spectacular hold, though you don’t know for how long. On a 7-9, it works, but there is some complication. On a 6-, magic is fickle; something goes spectacularly wrong.
This move can be taken multiple times; pick a new trick each time.

Veteran Hunter
When you successfully Spout Lore about an enemy’s abilities, habits, or weaknesses, gain 1 Readiness against that enemy.

Advance Moves
When you gain a level from 6–10, choose from these moves:

Apex Predator
Add the following to the list for Monster Hunter:
• Use one of its own moves against it (figuratively or literally).

Arcane Trophy
When you fashion a Grisly Trophy from a magical creature, you may choose one of its magical moves or special qualities if it is even remotely plausible (a freezing touch, shapechanging, fire breath, a gaze that turns to stone…).

Mutagenic Therapy
Requires: Alchemist
You have altered your blood to be toxic to other creatures, even monsters and the undead. Consuming more than a few drops is sure to be fatal.

Still trying to flesh out some other moves and decide what the 6-10 list should look like, but I would appreciate feedback on what's cool, what isn't, what needs work, and any other vague ideas for moves that a monster hunter / vampire slayer / beast tracker ought to have!

edit: Also a more general question. When your players roll 7-9 on Last Breath, what kind of deals with Death have you given them? I'm having a hard time thinking them up, and the DW book only offers one (really weird) example, it would be nice to have a few on standby in case it comes up.

Boing fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I always seem to finish these things at 3AM...

Anyway, here is

The Fool posted:

You don't really understand why your companions make you sleep on the other side of the camp, or why they all shout "No!" when you go to investigate some curious thing. You're not sure if the big one has forgiven you for tripping them while they were fighting that huge beast yesterday. And you keep meaning to ask the one with the oily grin why they keep calling you 'scapegoat'.

You mean well, or you have grand designs, but nothing seems to go right. Disaster seems to follow you around, things often break or don't work right when you touch them, and people always seem either irritated or amused by you. There are a lot of things you don't understand, but you don't mind. you'll just keep bumbling through, and everything will turn out fine!

...probably.

The Fool is a Playbook designed for use with Dungeon World and Inverse World. As The Fool, you will stumble from mishap to calamity to disaster, failing forward and unwittingly leaving destruction in your wake. If you ever wanted to play a bungling buffoon and leave your party in stitches - figurative and literal, The Fool is your chance!

As always, you can find the free Gdocs version right HERE

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Boing posted:

Witcher's Tricks doesn't really seem to merit being four different moves. It could very easily just be a single "pick one when you use it" move since they're all basically on the level of cantrips or first-level spells.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Doodmons posted:

I was idly thinking of a Solid Snake class and I vaguely came up with something I call The Operative. I'm not sure it has enough oomph to be a full class but it could be an interesting compendium maybe.

Key Ideas:
You don't need to consume rations, but if you do, you heal 1d4 HP (in MGS, food heals)
You only start the game with halfling pipeleaf
Its core move would be called something like How Useful and would be about finding useful items in the field
In the spirit of CQC, the Operative wouldn't need weapons to Hack and Slash and would have Initiate-like disarms, throws, arm locks etc
The Operative would be really good at sneaking.

Honestly I'd just keep rations like they are normally for this, given that healing a certain amount off them just isn't very useful and as much as a 'Snake Eater' move would be good flavorwise for the class, not having to use rations just isn't very interesting as a move. Procure on site is also a neat idea in theory, but in practice it just limits you a ton and in the actual games it's not even all that accurate. Even in MGS1 you start with a sneaking suit and some cigs.

How Useful has pretty heavy downsides for being 'roll for Adventuring Gear'. It shouldn't even be a thing you roll for, really. Personally I'd just name it "Procure on Site" and have it let you place simple objects that would be plausible into the scene. Besides, what on earth would the enemy do with a cardboard box basket or some empty crossbow cartridges if you rolled a 6- anyways? It's not like you're waving a gun into reality with this move, it's just making the kind of stuff you might use gear to make as any other class. If you feel the need for a downside, just remember that the GM can make a move that exploits the weakness of the item. A cardboard box doesn't hold up very well when it gets drenched, after all.

Between the starting moves here and and a need for DEX to use for difficult movement, the Operative is stuck needing to spend all three of their positive stats if they want to do their core moves well. WIS is a good choice for where you've got it, but honestly CQC would do better as DEX anyways even without trying to trim down the ability spread. Despite Snake being all about Spouting Lore about guns, WIS is definitely his 'key stat'. Unless we're looking at Twin Snakes cutscenes, of course. :v:

I really like Tactical Espionage! It's perfect; totally captures the caution/alert status. I'd split mundane sneaking into a different move for clarity since that bit kind of gets lost in the text, but there's really nothing I can see wrong with this move otherwise. I even really like how it uses WIS instead of DEX!

Now you've got me wanting to make a Solid Snake class myself! If I get the time to scribble ideas down I'll see what I can get, since my biggest issue with making a class like this was coming up with a good core and I've got some pretty good ideas of where to start now thanks to this. There's definitely enough ideas across all the Metal Gears for a full class, and if I get stumped I suppose I finally have a good excuse to go watch some James Bond movies.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Those of you paying attention may notice I hadn't been updating the content post lately. It now has been - everything in this thread should be linked in the content post up to this point. If you feel something is missing from the content post, either post about it in the thread or send me a PM and I'll get that in there.

The Inverse World class previews would probably be a good addition, I was trying to look up the Walker for a friend just the other day and couldn't find it.

On a side note, I want to specifically give credit to Lemon Curdistan's assassin class for inspiring me to come up with something better than 'some books or some potions I guess' for the starting items.

Androc fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 10, 2017

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I really like the slayer, and it could have some really fun compendium classes. Definitely would look great in a fleshed out playbook.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Speaking of which, could someone upload that Inkscape template that I hear so much about? I think I can figure out this program but it's tricky to hack something from an already-finished playbook.

Benly posted:

Witcher's Tricks doesn't really seem to merit being four different moves. It could very easily just be a single "pick one when you use it" move since they're all basically on the level of cantrips or first-level spells.

It feels weird for a single move to suddenly turn you into a wizard - the idea was that you pick up one or two magic tricks to help you fight, but you can specialise in magic as a form of combat if you choose to go that way (as per The Witcher). How about this:

2-5:

Witcher’s Trick
You have some basic understanding of primal magics. When you take this move, pick a trick from the following:
 Fire: Set something aflame
 Force: Move something suddenly
 Freeze: Hold something in place
 Thought: Plant or remove a simple thought
When you gesture with your hand and utter a word of power, roll +Str. On a 10+, your chosen magic takes hold, though you don’t know for how long. On a 7-9, it works, but there is some complication. On a 6-, magic is fickle; something goes spectacularly wrong.

6-10:

Hedge Mage
Requires: Witcher’s Trick
You gain access to all four Witcher’s Tricks.

vvv that was the intention, you know what I mean though

Boing fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 18, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boing posted:

How about this:

Yeah, that works much better. Keep in mind that Witcher's Trick doesn't make you into a wizard, it gives you a fairly limited ability.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Boing posted:

It feels weird for a single move to suddenly turn you into a wizard - the idea was that you pick up one or two magic tricks to help you fight, but you can specialise in magic as a form of combat if you choose to go that way (as per The Witcher). How about this:

A single move turning you into a wizard already exists in the form of Multiclass Dabbler for Cast A Spell. Having four Witcher's Tricks doesn't turn you into a wizard, it turns you into a guy with four minor magic tricks which can go "spectacularly wrong" (and which at best "take hold, but you don't know for how long"). I mean, I dunno, obviously two moves is better than four for that, but I still think it'd be fine as one.

Dangheim
Jul 22, 2007

That is fascinating! Thom Yorke, you are very interesting, and very very perceptive!
I've had a hankerin' to run an rpg set in the world of Avernum for quite some time now and I finally got around to checking out DW, which looks to be absolutely perfect for my needs. So I made a quick and dirty conversion of the core rulebook classes. I changed the available races from Human, Halfling, Dwarf, and Elf to Human, Nephil, and Slithzerakai (cat people and lizard people respectively, for those not familiar with the Avernum games), and I shuffled around the racial moves and made a few new ones as necessary. Even though bards, druids, and (to a lesser extent) paladins aren't really A Thing in the Avernum games, I kept them in because I like them and I know my players will like them.

BARD CHANGES
Names:

Nephil: Tamrr, Singer, Fimb, Reet, Kirri, Tati

Look:
same except:
Human: Fancy Hair, Wild Hair, or Stylish Cap
Nephil: Groomed Fur, Tangled Fur, or Stylish Cap

Starting Moves:
Choose a race and gain the corresponding move:

Nephil
When you enter an important location (your call), you can ask the GM for one fact from the history of that location.

Human
When you first enter a civilized settlement someone who respects the custom of hospitality to minstrels will take you in as their guest.

Gear:
Halfling pipeleaf (0 weight) is now Skribbane (illegal, 0 weight)

CLERIC CHANGES
Names:

Nephil: Mhrrorr, Sarramor, Shiarra, Mrreema, Gret, Atorr
Slith: Seleeass, Aktitoss, Pelin-Ath, Enderaba, Chash-Ah, Hrramen

Look:
same except:
Human: Tonsure, Strange Hair, or Bald
Nephil: Groomed Fur, Ceremonial Dye, or Mangy Fur
Slith: Veiled Headdress, Ceremonial Paint, or Unadorned Crest

Starting Moves:

Nephil
Your people’s shamans have always guided their people to victory. Except for that one time the Empire took all your lands and killed all your people and banished you to the underworld. But, you know. All those other times. Victory. Bless functions as a rote for you.

Slith
Each stone waits to sing the history of your people. When you commune you are also granted a special version of Words of the Unspeaking as a rote which only works on stone.

Human
Your faith is diverse. Choose one wizard spell. You can cast and be granted that spell as if it were a cleric spell.

DRUID CHANGES
Names:

Slith: Beryl, Raosh, Korose, Gless-Thsss, Shath, Pathass

Look:
same except:
Human: Furry Hood, Messy Hair, or Braided Hair
Slith: Furry Hood, Savage Crest, or Ceremonial Paint

Starting Moves:

Slith
You are kin to all scaled things. When you shapeshift into a suitably reptilian form, you gain +1 armor.

Human
Wherever you came from before, Avernum has marked you. In addition to any other attunements, the Depths of the Earth are always considered your land.

Gear:
Halfling pipeleaf (0 weight) is now Skribbane (illegal, 0 weight)

FIGHTER CHANGES
Names:

Nephil: Horrmarin, Gormus, Bhorrr, Horrum, Diver, Grayfang
Slith: Ssss’Ato, Treviass, Quartz, Avghassa, Ssem’Ess, Bysss-Tss

Look:
same except:
Human: Wild Hair, Shorn Hair, or Battered Helm
Calloused Skin, Pale Skin, or Scarred Skin
Nephil: Wild Mane, Torn Ears, or Battered Helm
Matted Fur, Mangy Fur, or Scarred Fur
Slith: Savage Crest, War Markings, or Battered Helm
Calloused Scales, Dull Scales, or Scarred Scales

Starting Moves:

Nephil
You stride into battle with a terrible grace. Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll (yours or someone else’s).

Slith
Slith battle prowess with spears is legendary. If your signature weapon is a spear, choose one extra enhancement.

Human
An Avernite knows one thing: the caves need blood. When you stand in defense of a cherished thing of the caves, on a 7-9, hold 2. On a 6 or lower, you still hold 1.
-or-
You’re a proud citizen of the Empire. When you prove your superiority to someone, you may parley with them using CON instead of CHA.

PALADIN CHANGES
none, paladin’s good

RANGER CHANGES
Names:

Nephil: Bright Eyes, Gorran, Mrr-Hmrr, Split-tail, Ruj, Tarrum

Look:
same except:
Human: Hooded Head, Wild Hair, or Bald
Nephil: Hooded Head, Wild Fur, or Ceremonial Dye

Starting Moves:

Nephil
You are an expert fletcher. When you make camp in a dungeon or city, replenish your ammo stock by 1.

Human
When you undertake a perilous journey through wilderness whatever job you take you succeed as if you rolled a 10+.

Advanced Moves
“Half-Elven” no longer exists. gently caress Elves.

THIEF CHANGES
Names:

Nephil: Merrum, Koramorr, Rivlin, Night-hide, Contador, Kelda

Look:
same except:
Human: Hooded Head, Messy Hair, or Cropped Hair
Nephil: Hooded Head, Tangled Fur, or Groomed Fur

Starting Moves:

Nephil
When you attack with a ranged weapon, deal +2 damage.

Human
You are a professional. When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities, take +1.

WIZARD CHANGES
Names:

Slith: Ess-Nassk, Assia, Malachite, Kelass, Foramon, Agass-Ess

Look:
same except:
Human: Styled Hair, Wild Hair, or Pointed Hat
Slith: Decorated Crest, Singed Crest, or Pointed Hat

Starting Moves:

Slith
Magic and mysticism go hand-in-hand for Slith mages. Choose one cleric spell. You can cast it as if it was a wizard spell.

Human
Avernite mages practice their craft free from stifling Empire bureaucracy. Choose one level 1 wizard spell. You may treat it as a cantrip.

Also I tried my hand at adding in a few of the buffs from Avernum 5-6 and Avernum: Escape from the Pit, namely the cloaks and wards:

ADDITIONAL SPELLS

Cleric Spells:

Ward of Thoughts - Level 3 - Ongoing
You cover the party in a protective shield against mental attacks. You and all party members gain +1 when rolling to defy danger against stun damage. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Ward of Steel - Level 5 - Ongoing
You cover the party in a protective shield against physical attacks. You and all party members gain +1 armor for the purposes of deflecting mundane physical attacks. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Ward of Elements - Level 7 - Ongoing
You cover the party in a protective shield against magical attacks. Any magical or elemental attack with the “ignores armor” keyword loses that keyword if directed against you or a party member. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Wizard Spells

Cloak of Curses - Level 3 - Ongoing
You imbue the party’s attacks with debilitating magic. When you or a party member make a move that deals damage, on a 10+ you have the option of choosing from the 7-9 list. If you do, you may inflict one debility on the target. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Cloak of Blades - Level 5 - Ongoing
You imbue the party’s melee attacks with frightening strength. When you or a party member Hack and Slash, you may add 1d4 to the damage roll. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

Cloak of the Arcane - Level 7 - Ongoing
You imbue the party’s magical attacks with awesome power. When you or a party member deal damage by magical means, you may add 1d6 to the damage roll. This spell lasts as long as battle continues or until you choose to dispel it. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.

I'm not sure how they'll play out considering I've never played Dungeon World before (I have played Apocalypse World, and love it to pieces, so I'm not completely lost in the woods here). I'm hoping that they aren't too grognard-y or imbalanced and that they don't dredge up mechanics best left in the background into the ugly limelight. I want them to still fit in with what it seems like DW's style is: fast, loose, and putting the fiction first.

Thoughts? Critiques?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the Slayer, which I'm really digging so far by the way, ideas for advanced moves I can think of:

-Something that lets you consume a part/the heart's blood/the fleeing spirit of a monster to gain one of its moves (magical or non-magical) as your own without needing to spend Readiness (only one move at a time can be imbued in this fashion, probably a 6-10 move).

-A move that lets you sacrifice a trophy to gain a point of Readiness or some other benefit.

-When you Parley, you can always use an offer to slay a troublesome monster plaguing the area as leverage.

-A move that lets you whip up a mob of torch-and-pitchfork wielding hirelings with the cost "Kill The Beast."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my progress on The Elf thus far. Turns out that you can cram a heck of a lot of thematic stuff into an elf class.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Benly posted:

A single move turning you into a wizard already exists in the form of Multiclass Dabbler for Cast A Spell. Having four Witcher's Tricks doesn't turn you into a wizard, it turns you into a guy with four minor magic tricks which can go "spectacularly wrong" (and which at best "take hold, but you don't know for how long"). I mean, I dunno, obviously two moves is better than four for that, but I still think it'd be fine as one.

The multiclassing rule is stupid for spellcasters anyway, I houserule it :v: Personally I think being able to set vampires on fire with your mind or pull an Inception makes for a solid move, and getting all four (any of which can have a lot of narrative power) would make it the best move in the class list by a long shot. I realise this boils down to MY VISION but for a class that merely dabbles in magic, I feel like there should be some progression. If you'd rather suggest a change in wording for the move, that might make it more appealing?

Kai Tave posted:

On the Slayer, which I'm really digging so far by the way, ideas for advanced moves I can think of:

-Something that lets you consume a part/the heart's blood/the fleeing spirit of a monster to gain one of its moves (magical or non-magical) as your own without needing to spend Readiness (only one move at a time can be imbued in this fashion, probably a 6-10 move).

-A move that lets you sacrifice a trophy to gain a point of Readiness or some other benefit.

-When you Parley, you can always use an offer to slay a troublesome monster plaguing the area as leverage.

-A move that lets you whip up a mob of torch-and-pitchfork wielding hirelings with the cost "Kill The Beast."

Thanks, I was just in the process of writing a few more! Let's talk about these.

-The reason a Grisly Trophy move costs Readiness is because you don't really roll to make monster moves. The Druid is the only other class to do it, and she spends Hold in a similar way. The original draft was along the lines of:

"When you make that move, roll +Stat, whichever is appropriate (ask the GM if you're unsure). On a 10+, you pull it off flawlessly. On a 7-9, your execution leaves something to be desired. On a 6-, you've just made things worse."

This is a clunky move, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it. Having it just cost Readiness seems really elegant in comparison. I do want to provide moves for making Readiness more available, which is why I just wrote this:

Combat Acumen
Requires: Veteran Hunter
Whenever you expend Readiness, roll +Int. On a 10+, you gain back 1 Readiness.

-Consuming dead monsters in particular is another archetype, I think, and when your prey can include zombies and stuff that's pretty gross. However:

Needs a Name
Requires: Tooth and Nail
When you tear off part of a creature in mid-combat, you can immediately treat that part as either a Grisly Trophy or a weapon (as per Tooth and Nail).

-Sacrificing a trophy is cool, I want them to be cycling in and out fairly frequently. How about something like "When you release the power contained in a Grisly Trophy, you summon forth an aspect of the monster that bore it"? I don't know what the mechanics of that would be, but it sounds cool in my head.

-Killing a troublesome monster should always be leverage, there shouldn't need to be a move for that. But you're right, there should be some kind of social move to do with monster slaying to gain favour. My line of thought was more along the line of claiming bounties, which there is a Drive for. LC's Assassin has Contract Killer, which is slick and along the lines of what I wanted - but it seems weird to have a move that says "if you rolled well, there's a horrible monster terrorising the countryside!". What I have now is Law of Surprise - which is probably the weirdest move on the list right now (but not as weird as its namesake), and might need some tweaking, but I think it's got a lot more narrative power than dictating how much you get paid. Maybe it should be "you can demand any price" rather than "you always get the agreed price"?

-Massing up a mob of peasants seems out of character, they'd just get in the way - it's the kind of thing you'd do if you weren't The Slayer. All three Drives are kinda opposed to it, too.

Could use feedback on this one:

6-10:

Alchemic Metastasis
Requires: Alchemist
You have modified your body to quickly regenerate wounds. You always start battle with full HP. Whenever you make any move while in battle, heal 1d4 HP, unless you have taken damage from fire or acid.

There might also be design space for a fictional move about researching and lifting curses, which fits the archetype well, but would be a very specific move that doesn't crop up often. Can anyone think of a more generalised version of that?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Boing posted:

This honestly would be so appropriate for a campaign im going to start based off of Gods Eater Burst. Monster of the week type campaigns in general.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Boing posted:

-Consuming dead monsters in particular is another archetype, I think, and when your prey can include zombies and stuff that's pretty gross.

Well it doesn't have to be literally eating a bit of a monster, it could be like in Deadlands how you can "count coup" when you kill certain monsters and gain an aspect of their power or like all the Nintendo DC Castlevania games where you go around collecting monster souls like Pokemon. The reason I suggested it was due largely to the Curse background which suggests that some Slayers are a little closer to being monsters themselves.

quote:

Needs a Name
Requires: Tooth and Nail
When you tear off part of a creature in mid-combat, you can immediately treat that part as either a Grisly Trophy or a weapon (as per Tooth and Nail).

Call it "Rip and Tear."

quote:

-Sacrificing a trophy is cool, I want them to be cycling in and out fairly frequently. How about something like "When you release the power contained in a Grisly Trophy, you summon forth an aspect of the monster that bore it"? I don't know what the mechanics of that would be, but it sounds cool in my head.

Gain a Readiness or make use of a single magical move of that creature or gain ??? You could even make it a roll move if you wanted.

quote:

-Killing a troublesome monster should always be leverage, there shouldn't need to be a move for that.

Eh, I feel like you could make that argument about a lot of the "you can use X for leverage" moves, but fair enough.

quote:

There might also be design space for a fictional move about researching and lifting curses, which fits the archetype well, but would be a very specific move that doesn't crop up often. Can anyone think of a more generalised version of that?

Maybe a modification to Discern Realities? Add a question that lets you ask what creature caused an affliction/curse and what is said to cure it?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Boing posted:

The multiclassing rule is stupid for spellcasters anyway, I houserule it :v: Personally I think being able to set vampires on fire with your mind or pull an Inception makes for a solid move, and getting all four (any of which can have a lot of narrative power) would make it the best move in the class list by a long shot. I realise this boils down to MY VISION but for a class that merely dabbles in magic, I feel like there should be some progression. If you'd rather suggest a change in wording for the move, that might make it more appealing?

I can kind of grok that, I guess. I think what bugs me is that the wording is all about how bad you are at it - again, at best, "it works but you don't know for how long", while at worst "something goes spectacularly wrong". It seems to me like that wording is probably why I read it and saw "you get a cantrip" even though you meant it to be "you set dudes on fire left and right by snapping your fingers Bioshock-style".

Also, it would probably be a smoother progression to let you pick two tricks with the first move and get the other two with the second.

I can't really see it as the best move in the class; the Grisly Trophy line is very versatile and powerful and Arcane Trophy is especially so. But, again, this might be because of Witcher's Tricks coming off weaker than intended.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
The slayer is looking pretty cool!

The move about making improvised weapons or trophies out of bits ripped off monsters could have the name And beat you with it.

The move about evoking an aspect of a monster trophy probably doesn't need mechanics beyond the awesome fictional effect. Imagine using medusas head to turn an enemy to stone or a dragon tooth to shoot a gout of flame, or fairy wings to fly for a few minutes.

The parlay move should be about making a horrible monster you'll have to fight to gain parlay. Have it like a smaller version of the paladin's quest move.

"When you describe a monster or curse plaguing the local area, you always gain leverage over a settlement when you have conquered the problem"

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Boing posted:

Maaaaaaan this is beautiful. It's basically what I want Rangers to be in every game I've played in. I'm really, really looking forward to the full version!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Call it "Rip and Tear."

This is your winner right there.

Bonus points if you can work YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS into the class somehow.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Well, it's playable! I just spent the morning rigging this up: The Slayer. Needs at least two more 6-10 moves, and maybe can squeeze in another one or two after that.

Specific thoughts so far:

- Power level is fairly high, but I think that's how DW should be. I went a bit far with Apex Predator I think, it's silly as it is now - should remove the 10+ clause or make it into a 12+ instead. Alchemic Metastasis might be too strong, but I would like to hear back from a playtest that uses it!

- Have tried to make each move interesting and exciting to pick up, so have been staying away from Parley moves and such, a lot of which can be done within the rules-as-written anyway.

- Pretty much all the moves key off INT right now, except Witcher's Tricks which I made +STR to be contrary. Some of them (Combat Acumen/Apex Predator) should probably key off WIS or DEX instead, but I didn't want to thin out the stat spread too much when you still need your STR/DEX to fight. Should that be revised?

- I somehow misspelled 'Prophecy', that will be fixed

- There is room for another weapon choice, but I can't think of anything interesting or flavourful right now! It was gonna be a pistol or something but I want to leave it open for strictly medieval settings.

- I wanted to have a move that worked off the arsenal and gave it more options (so I could call it Raised Stakes), but the wording of the original move was purposefully left so open that it's hard to think how to improve on it. Currently it's the only starting move that doesn't particularly synergise with the advanced moves. Any ideas?

- Draft anti-magic/curse-lifting move:

I Solve Problems
When you encounter a curse, enchantment, or affliction, you may ask the GM "what will it take to remove or negate this?" and the GM will answer honestly, or ask you to answer. You are always able to lift the effect, but it will require one or more of the following:
- Perform a dangerous ritual
- Procure a rare component
- Slay a powerful monster
- Obtain some forbidden knowledge

- Can't figure out some elegant way to include expending a trophy as a move, so I just went with moves for turning them into armour instead

Benly posted:

I can kind of grok that, I guess. I think what bugs me is that the wording is all about how bad you are at it - again, at best, "it works but you don't know for how long", while at worst "something goes spectacularly wrong". It seems to me like that wording is probably why I read it and saw "you get a cantrip" even though you meant it to be "you set dudes on fire left and right by snapping your fingers Bioshock-style".

Also, it would probably be a smoother progression to let you pick two tricks with the first move and get the other two with the second.

I can't really see it as the best move in the class; the Grisly Trophy line is very versatile and powerful and Arcane Trophy is especially so. But, again, this might be because of Witcher's Tricks coming off weaker than intended.

I get what you're saying, but I do think it's a difference in interpretation, because the move seems strong to me (I worried about including it). In my head, doing a Jedi Mind Trick to confuse enemies or get into a forbidden area, or tossing enemies around like ragdolls, or stopping a charging ogre in its tracks are all worthwhile moves to have, even if you don't know how long they're going to last. Especially when you're a fighter/ranger type class, magic should be one of those high-risk/high-reward things, which is why I went for the cautious wording. I did change it to "pick two, pick four", but if you're still unsure about the wording on the roll results, could you suggest an alternative that better conveys it? I've been staring at these moves for a while and it's hard to detach from what I intended it to be.

Still taking criticism, I want this class to be good!

vvv sure, "simple but powerful magics" sounds great! "takes spectacular hold" has been in and out of a few revisions

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 18, 2013

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Boing posted:

I get what you're saying, but I do think it's a difference in interpretation, because the move seems strong to me (I worried about including it). In my head, doing a Jedi Mind Trick to confuse enemies or get into a forbidden area, or tossing enemies around like ragdolls, or stopping a charging ogre in its tracks are all worthwhile moves to have, even if you don't know how long they're going to last. Especially when you're a fighter/ranger type class, magic should be one of those high-risk/high-reward things, which is why I went for the cautious wording. I did change it to "pick two, pick four", but if you're still unsure about the wording on the roll results, could you suggest an alternative that better conveys it? I've been staring at these moves for a while and it's hard to detach from what I intended it to be.

Still taking criticism, I want this class to be good!

Yeah, the way you're visualizing it it's a perfectly solid move, I just somehow got the impression that these were much weaker than you were visualizing. Part of the problem is that I somehow missed the spectacular part of "takes spectacular hold, but you don't know for how long" on my first reading. :v: Maybe replace "primal magics" in the start with "simple but powerful magics" to make clear right from the start that these have some serious kick to them? I don't know, I feel kind of like a putz for making a big deal of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Boing posted:

- There is room for another weapon choice, but I can't think of anything interesting or flavourful right now! It was gonna be a pistol or something but I want to leave it open for strictly medieval settings.

Would some kind of silver weapon be too much?