kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

.Clash posted:

Can we stop using F/SN as a way to describe unrelated things? "Shirou" isn't an adjective.

Man you're a straight up Shinji Matou, you know that?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

.Clash posted:

Can we stop using F/SN as a way to describe unrelated things? "Shirou" isn't an adjective.
I think it's sort of applicable for Rewrite because much of the VN feels like a pretty blatant attempt of Key's to make "their own FSN".

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Someone wrote an email to Moenovel and got this response:

quote:

Hi VDZ,

Thank you for your interest in the game and for your mail. It is good to hear that you enjoyed the demo of the version of the game and are looking forward to the full release version.

An official Press Release will be out by this Friday, the 17th, and I hope some speculations will be addressed.

The the time being, the following answers might answer your questions.

>1. You plan to remove all sex scenes from the original game. Will they
>be replaced with any new content, or will they simply skip over the
>sexually explicit part without any other changes?
1. Yes, all sex scenes will be removed, and no new content wil be added. However, the game will still have a nice story, and the game will not have any awkward endings. Players who have not played the Japanese version of the game will be able to find the game interesting, and safe to play.

>2. There are rumors that kissing scenes or certain aspects of them will
>be removed or altered as part of the sexual content removal. Will there
>be any changes to any of the kissing scenes (outside of those taking
>place during sex scenes which are obviously cut entirely) compared to
>the original game?
2. The kissing scenes will be altered so that it will not show any tongues or lips touching, but will show the back or side view of a couple kissing, as seen under the 'demo' section in the official homepage, http://moenovel.com/imh/.

>3. Similarly, there are rumors about sexual jokes being cut or toned down
>in order to fit the ESRB T rating. To which extent has the dialogue been
>modified to remove references to sex (apart from cutting out explicit
>sex scenes)?
3. The wording has been changed so that there are no sexual jokes. There are, however, minimal slapstick humor scenes left behind.

>4. There are also explicit scenes and images in the original game that
>were not part of sex scenes, such as bathing scenes. What will happen to
>these scenes and images? Will they be removed? Will the images be
>modified to remove explicit parts?
4. Explicit scenes such as bathroom scenes will not show any obvious body parts, and will show characters in towels. Characters will also be covered by water in the bath. There will be no unnatural blocking of body parts, such as a blank-out of parts, or blocks covering body parts.

>5. For some time, Play-Asia listed the non-physical version of the game
>as being distributed in the form of Steam codes, although this has since
>been reverted. Are there any concrete, direct plans (as in, accepted by
>Valve) to sell this game on Steam? If not, do you plan to try or have
>you tried to get the game on Steam?
5. No, we do not have plans to sell the game on Steam. We do not plan, nor did we try to get the game on Steam.

>6. Will the game (physical and/or download version) have DRM? If so,
>what kind of DRM will be used?
6. The DRM of the download version will depend on the download platform/ website that you have purchased the game from.

>7. There are rumors of the sexual content of the original game being
>re-added to the game as DLC, based on a registry entry named
>'SweetLovePatch'. Are there any plans to re-add the sexual content like
>this or to release an 18+ version of the game? If not, what is the story
>behind the 'SweetLovePatch' registry entry?
7. No, there are no plans to re-add sexual content. The 'SweetLovePatch' will left over from the original game. It was purely a mistake on our part and will not be included in the full version of the game.

>8. The translation of the demo version has received a mixed response. To
>which extent, if at all, will the script be revised before the game's
>release? Will you release an updated demo when the script has been
>completed?
8. There are no plans to revise the translation for the full game at the moment. A few parts might be altered in the full version but the script for the demo will not be updated.

>9. MoeNovel seems to be a subsidiary of Will. To which extent were Will
>and/or Pulltop involved in the decision to release this title
>internationally and the decision to remove its sexual content?
9. It was decided by all departments to publish an all-ages version of the game.

>10. To which extent were Will and/or Pulltop involved in the actual
>localization of the game (such as deciding which content to cut, how to
>alter certain content, etc.)?
10. The cut contents and the alteration of contents were both decided by Will and Pulltop.

>11. A Twitter account has appeared with the name 'MoeNovel' but no
>profile picture. Is this (going to be) the official MoeNovel twitter, or
>did someone register the name before you were able to?
11. Yes, it will be the official twitter account. It is still being updated at the moment.

Thank you for your questions, we hope the answers above will be able to clear some of the confusion.

We would also like to thank you for your support and hope you will enjoy the full release version.

Kind Regards,

Moenovel support staff

The bolded parts are especially worrying, even if you don't are about the cut ero content.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have no interest whatsoever in the actual game, but I'm enjoying the trainwreck. :suspense:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Uh.

Why. This is a joke.. right? Please?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's mangagamer. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why does mangagamer have higurashi kai listed as romance? Do they have anything that is not listed as romance?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uh.

Why. This is a joke.. right? Please?

Not the most insane title I've ever seen!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rodyle posted:

Not the most insane title I've ever seen!

Me neither, but I'd still rather that not exist. Ever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's mangagamer. I think that's all that needs to be said.

I'm starting to feel ashamed of buying Higurashi from them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The downside of having more translators than they have good games they can afford to license.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Since I mentioned Higurashi, I suppose I'm obligated to tell the thread by reactions to it so far (I've just started):

I'm actually playing this in part because I liked the Lucia route in Rewrite. Maybe this is a bad idea because (Rewrite spoilers) the mystery element of Lucia was the part I liked the least; the whole "she has a split personality, I guess" thing was bullshit. Having said that, I guess twists like that aren't so bad if you're expecting an outrageous twist of some sort.

I'm using the graphics patch, of course. I'm not sure why Ryukishi didn't just write is as a book if there were no choices in it and he couldn't draw.

I wonder if the bit at the very beginning with the dude seemingly being murdered by a woman he loves was narrated by the same person whose funeral Keiichi just attended.

The character writeups on the Mangagamer page imply that the use of VN character archetypes in a murder mystery is meant to be Ironic. Double-ironically, Keiichi is actually an unironically OK character. He's sort of like Kotarou from Rewrite in terms of surface personality. I like that he has living parents that he has a good relationship with.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 18, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

[...]

The characters in Higurashi are hardly archetypes, at least compared to what you usually get in VNs. Did they loving confuse higurashi with Muv Luv ???

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Silver2195 posted:

Since I mentioned Higurashi, I suppose I'm obligated to tell the thread by reactions to it so far (I've just started):

I'm actually playing this in part because I liked the Lucia route in Rewrite. Maybe this is a bad idea because (Rewrite spoilers) the mystery element of Lucia was the part I liked the least; the whole "she has a split personality, I guess" thing was bullshit. Having said that, I guess twists like that aren't so bad if you're expecting an outrageous twist of some sort.

That's pretty amusing as I loved that part of Lucia's route and made a post awhile back that I wish the entire route was that. And like you Higurashi was the VM I decided to play next. The thing was I had no idea what Higurashi was about so I really lucked out on this because the entire story is what I loved about the Lucia route.

Not sure why people dislike the graphic patch so much. I played it unpatched and after awhile I got use to it. It has its charms.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

That's pretty amusing as I loved that part of Lucia's route and made a post awhile back that I wish the entire route was that. And like you Higurashi was the VM I decided to play next. The thing was I had no idea what Higurashi was about so I really lucked out on this because the entire story is what I loved about the Lucia route.

Not sure why people dislike the graphic patch so much. I played it unpatched and after awhile I got use to it. It has its charms.

Most people like the graphic path and will only play with the graphic patch cuz Higurashi is ugly as a sinner's heart.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's hard to take Higurashi as seriously as you need to when you're looking at strange creatures with giant meat hands.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I got over the giant hands a quarter of the say in to the first chapter. Wasn't really a big deal to me. Though I wasn't aware the patch existed at the time. But I don't regret playing it unpatched.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's definitely possible to get used to it, I know I had played up through Watanagashi before I applied the patch and I still enjoyed it. It's just one less hurdle for getting people to play it in the first place, which is why I always recommend it. Actually the bigger deal might be the music patch; some of the Kai tracks that MangaGamer changed are excellent and it would be a bloody shame to play through Kai without getting that fixed.

Anyway, I think the reason Ryukishi07 didn't just write a book was because he seems to be a firm believer of needing music/fx to create atmosphere. Hence why he goes out of his way to describe them as "sound novels" rather than visual novels.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 18, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I'm starting to feel ashamed of buying Higurashi from them.

They release porn so clearly they are HITLER FOREVER

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WickedIcon posted:

They release porn so clearly they are HITLER FOREVER

Fair point. I overreacted there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

These cheap porn games probably cost two bucks and a copy of Super Mario World for the SNES to license, and I'd imagine they make some profit off it. It's pretty goofy, but I can just laugh at it and hope they make enough money to license something actually good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Total Eclipse spoilers: I don't know what's worse. Fade to black roll credits cliffhanger. Or that they didn't have enough budget for briefing slide shows :negative:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

What actually happened in it? Spoilers have been flying in the usual places and they sound pretty drat stupid.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Slightly on topic, slightly not.

A friend of mine just sent this to me. It's an orchestral medley of Muv Luv songs. I thought you all would enjoy it too!
http://youtu.be/OJuEtmCUZ_w

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
On topic or not, that medley is excellent. I love their rendition of the opening theme and the song after.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Yeah that was seriously great, lovin' that Carry On.

CAAAAARRRYY ONNN, MY WAAAAAAAAYYYYY

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Their versions of the 'Howl to the Future' and 'Carry on' were definitely the highlights. Was 'Wings' in there? I kind of had it on in the background and I guess I didn't catch it if it was.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Finished Shizuru and Akane's paths in Rewrite. Shizuru's was unfortunately dull, but Akane's was fantastic. The final battle with the Earth Dragon was easily the most :black101: that Kotarou's ever gotten so far and I loved the way the story unfolded. Key definitely does a better Heaven's Feel then it does Unlimited Blade Works. The Moon opening was badass, so I'm interested to see where the story's going to go. While Lucia and Akane have been the only two routes I've particularly thought were good so far, I'm curious to see how this is all going to get tied together.

Chickenfrogman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 20, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm just glad that we won't see any characters kissing because human mouths are filthy and gross plus seeing people kissing makes me feel jealous so thanks moénovel.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

These cheap porn games probably cost two bucks and a copy of Super Mario World for the SNES to license, and I'd imagine they make some profit off it. It's pretty goofy, but I can just laugh at it and hope they make enough money to license something actually good.

I was at Anime Central this prior weekend and the MangaGamer dudes said they sold most of their Boob Wars stock they brought to the convention. Yes, none of us have any interest in these pointless fetishistic titles, but there's a market and they probably sell better than and end up subsidizing their more worthwhile games like Dengeki Stryker, so it's nothing all that terrible.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

DerLeo posted:

What actually happened in it? Spoilers have been flying in the usual places and they sound pretty drat stupid.

Well, have a provisional summary: http://pastebin.com/YD8hRsgp and the ending on youtube for however long its up. http://youtu.be/NAY7_afEpOM At least they helped Takeru & co in the end non conclusion .

Meanwhile the site for the final TDA is up

.Clash fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 20, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

.Clash posted:

Well, have a provisional summary: http://pastebin.com/aamw7Avp and the ending on youtube for however long its up. http://youtu.be/NAY7_afEpOM At least they helped Takeru & co in the end non conclusion .
*yawn* Still a complete waste of time, still don't give a poo poo. Bonus points for ripping off Zeta Gundam I guess.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Killer Queen posted:

I was at Anime Central this prior weekend and the MangaGamer dudes said they sold most of their Boob Wars stock they brought to the convention.

I have to wonder how many people purchase titles like that ironically. Something named Boob Wars has a big "check this crazy thing out for a laugh" factor.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would imagine a FRACTION of a percent compared to people who purchase it to rub their hogs raw.

I don't understand what's difficult about this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe exactly one person. If you wanted to laugh at something with a friend, couldn't you just link them to it's section on VNDB or something? You don't need to own a physical copy of Boob Wars to laugh at it, and spending 20 bucks just so you and a friend can chuckle awkwardly with a slight amount of sexual tension isn't my idea of a good investment.

It sold because cheap porn sells.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

MagicalDuck posted:

I have to wonder how many people purchase titles like that ironically. Something named Boob Wars has a big "check this crazy thing out for a laugh" factor.
Is this going to turn into a Dangan Ronpa-like discussion about how a significant part of the audience only enjoy these kind of cheap porn games "ironically" or because it's a deconstruction of hentai tropes?

As Endorph said, porn sells, and there's little more to it. You only need to skim though a catalog of western live action porn to spot similarly colorful titles. You're free to spend your money to ironically enjoy them if that's really your thing, though.

In other news, the Total Eclipse VN script and CGs have been ripped, confirming the spoilers that have been going around about how it goes full on Zeta Gundam. I think it's some kind of achievement to simultaneously disappoint the people who wanted a happy ending while also not being good enough to justify it for the people who thought everything before the VN was poo poo.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 21, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
After getting "sidetracked" with Higurashi I'm resuming Kira Kira. Liking it so far though I'm just past the prologue. Not many other thoughts so far except I'm not sure if I'm ever not going to find Kirari's overly excited sprite not funny.

Edit: This conversation about R&B and Rock music feels slightly racist.

Edit2: What the hell!? LMAO! Kashiwara sure is working that clown look! From this and her earlier statement about how she would strike the audience with an instrument if she needed to I take it she is the kind eager girl who can easily get let astray. Though I have seen more outrageous hairstyles. I've played Muv Luv after all :)

Edit3: I have a feeling this is going to be music porn in the way Hoshizora no Memoria was astronomy porn and Fate Stay Night was food porn.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 21, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stall_19 posted:

After getting "sidetracked" with Higurashi I'm resuming Kira Kira. Liking it so far though I'm just past the prologue. Not many other thoughts so far except I'm not sure if I'm ever not going to find Kirari's overly excited sprite not funny.

Edit: This conversation about R&B and Rock music feels slightly racist.

Please post your thoughts when they start trying to be more "punk" with their language. Or when Kirari and Kashi try to dress "punk".

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Man, I don't know if it says something about me that the moment that's affected me most in Rewrite so far is when Lucia hits Hissy Cat. Poor thing didn't deserve it, I actually feel really terrible right now because the fictional cat who was finally learning to love got hit really hard. :smith:

e: Holy poo poo, this is the most overblown reaction to someone not wanting to touch flowers I could ever imagine. :stare:

e2: Wow, Lucia's route is just a complete tonal shift. I really, really wish I had decided to get this one first. It's really good, I know that, but at the same time it feels like if i'd started with this one and then done the Kotori and Chihaya routes, the supernatural element would be way freakier. As is, i've already seen Kotarou surf a motherfucking broadsword into a gigantic volcano beast's face, so this ghost doesn't seem terribly threatening.

klapman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 21, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh my god, I started playing Cross Channel and played for a while, then I realized Nanaca crash was based on it and I couldn't stop laughing. I can't take it seriously any more.

  • Locked thread