Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Volume posted:

Oh hell yeah! I could never beat this game cause of one boss I got stuck on and was super disappointed that this wasn't already LPed.

Bit of a note, you could use a space between dialouge.

There should definitely be a line or two between the shadow king and troubled old woman.

There's also a few times when you got the shadow king talking twice and you put his portrait up twice. No need for that.

Other than that It looks nice.

Yeah, I'll definitely add in line breaks between portrait-less dialog.

Normally when I put a portrait up twice, it's meant to represent a pause or a shift in focus. Like here:

quote:

Scared Guy: Brrr, scary! The ghost must be eyeing the treasure that's stored deep within the Church!
Hey, don't ignore the Evil King here! Humans truly have no sense!!
What? A treasure? What treasure?

I did it because he suddenly changed the topic, and I thought it would look weird if it was all one line. I can stop doing it if that would be better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Maybe just the next line would look okay? I do think it would look off if it was all on the same line.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I did it because he suddenly changed the topic, and I thought it would look weird if it was all one line. I can stop doing it if that would be better, though.

When I have topic shifts like that, I usually just post the screenshot that starts the new topic. It also helps break up the text a bit.

Don't have to do it that way, of course, but that's one way to handle stuff like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

When I have topic shifts like that, I usually just post the screenshot that starts the new topic. It also helps break up the text a bit.

This is probably the best option.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, I find more than anything that it's really proper screenshot pacing that helps readability of transcribed text.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I use screenshots to emphasize important lines, indicate when a character enters a scene, an action that doesn't translate well to text for whatever reason, or just to break up 8-10 portrait lines in a row. It's one of those things you just have to get a feeling for when you need to do so.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Alright, I'll try breaking up lines like that with screenshots.

Is there anything else, or am I pretty much good to go aside from that?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Dithiannim posted:

I'm well aware there is an archived Fragile Dreams LP already, but that is not a straight LP. Those LPers rewrote the story and characters. I wanted to do an actual LP of this game.

Not that I have anything against you doing this, but are you talking about the Pork Lift/wateyad LP? Because this... doesn't actually describe how that LP was run in any way. Kinda sounds like you read the joke OP and that's it. That said, their LPs are super-casual and jokey so if you're intending to do a more "straight" take on it, I'm sure you'll get an audience.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Dithiannim posted:

Thread title: Don't wake me from my Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Part #1: Introduction and Personal Frame
YouTube

Feedback please!

Should be fixed, if someone wants to review it.

Jalathas posted:

Not that I have anything against you doing this, but are you talking about the Pork Lift/wateyad LP? Because this... doesn't actually describe how that LP was run in any way. Kinda sounds like you read the joke OP and that's it. That said, their LPs are super-casual and jokey so if you're intending to do a more "straight" take on it, I'm sure you'll get an audience.

I'm talking about the one on the archives. Yeah, I only read the OP. I didn't like what I saw, so I didn't do much more than that.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

gatz posted:

Together in Dusty Dreams [Phantom Dust]

Chapter 1: Man With Amnesia
Episode 1 - To the Surface; Watchful Eye

I've updated the test post with new images and some other minor tweaks. I'm pretty satisfied with how the images look now, but let me know if you see something wrong.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Dithiannim posted:

Should be fixed, if someone wants to review it.

Well your friend's mic is a bit raspy, but I'm sure that can be fixed later. Otherwise you two seem to have a good dynamic. This is probably one of my more favorite games. Everything sounds a good though.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Because the sandcastle seems to double as a "let's talk about the state of let's play" thread I wanted to ask, do we have any, I guess you would call them, reformed youtube let's players?
Like someone who used to just poo poo out videos on Youtube, came here, got yelled at, and started putting effort into it?

I ask because someone made a comment a few pages ago about a lot of people who come to this thread, poo poo out a bunch of crappy videos, then when they receive some fair criticism, they state they will follow the advice in a similar way and are never to be seen again.

Is our advice doing nothing more than to scare them back to their "like,comment subscribe" echo chambers on Youtube?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Is our advice doing nothing more than to scare them back to their "like,comment subscribe" echo chambers on Youtube?

There have been a few that actually put forth some effort. That guy that's doing (did?) the bully lp is one of them IIRC.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Because the sandcastle seems to double as a "let's talk about the state of let's play" thread I wanted to ask, do we have any, I guess you would call them, reformed youtube let's players?
Like someone who used to just poo poo out videos on Youtube, came here, got yelled at, and started putting effort into it?

I ask because someone made a comment a few pages ago about a lot of people who come to this thread, poo poo out a bunch of crappy videos, then when they receive some fair criticism, they state they will follow the advice in a similar way and are never to be seen again.

VivaVizer came to the forum something like 20 videos into his scarecam Bioshock LP and took advice to heart, working successive videos to be better, and eventually did/is doing a Bully LP. I don't think I've seen anyone else actually learn from their time spent here; but then, most people coming from YouTube really just aren't looking to learn to begin with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unfair would probably be the most recent example, he came in as a classic Youtuber and went on to LP all 3 Deus Ex games brilliantly and I believe is now doing Dishonoured.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Dithiannim posted:

Alright, I'm back.
I'm reworking on my Ape Escape 3, but now the earlier criticism has me wanting to rework on another series I am currently LPing. .hack//G.U.

Thoughts?

Not sure if I count. Although I came here from watching RP and other SA LPers looking for advice and redid my LPs to make them better.

So, I'm technically from YouTube. Never dumped 20 videos or a half-finished LP on here though.

Zain posted:

Well your friend's mic is a bit raspy, but I'm sure that can be fixed later. Otherwise you two seem to have a good dynamic. This is probably one of my more favorite games. Everything sounds a good though.
I'm pretty sure this is just how he sounds. Or what noise removal did to him anyways.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Dithiannim posted:

Erm... might be a bad time to post a test post.

Thread title: Don't wake me from my Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

You've got some pretty noticeable frame blending going on throughout your video that I'd recommend fixing, but otherwise I thought it was good.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

An Overshadowed Let's Play of Okage: Shadow King

I remember this game... I beat a boss, but had like 16 HP left. Then I get killed by a cutscene attack.

ApocalypseToast
Mar 12, 2013
LP Metro: 2033 (subtitles)

After playing Metro: Last Light, I wanted to play through 2033 again. I've done videos that had commentary before but that was when I didn't care about doing things proper. Rather than make the same mistakes, I want to try a subtitle-video LP this time. My intent is to have a light to medium amount of subtitles, popping up only when I think I have something interesting to write rather than plaster the video with text. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

I wanted to ask, do we have any, I guess you would call them, reformed youtube let's players?

I mean I guess I fall in to this category. I never did scarecams or screaming and I didn't panhandle for likes and subcribers but I did make a handful of blind LPs and I never had much of a quality standard. I just played through games and for a time I made Minecraft series (admittedly I still like that series because it was at a time when Minecraft was still budding). I had always known about SA, though, and the standards set here. It just took me a while to register and finally attempt to posting something of a good standard. I now have two LPs going that are Sandcastle Approved™.

I still post some general content to my old channel for the sake of long time viewers and it's usually just co-op videos with my good friend, or some random gameplay videos from whatever but I don't do it with the intent on gaining subscribers or money.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12447

Thread Title: Let's Play Fate of the World! (SSLP Audience Participation)

What is Fate of the World?

Fate of the World is a game that was made in 2011 created with projections by actual scientific models about the coming issues that our world will have to face in our own lifetimes and beyond. Drought, famine, rising sea levels, energy crises, political instability, rising temperatures, nuclear proliferation and of course, managing public opinion. All of these will have to be taken into account so that the world has a chance at surviving (at least without going all Mad Max) in the coming years.

How does the game work?

The game is turn based and is played by using cards which act as policies. These policies and their specific effects are listed on the second post. Most of these cards unlock other cards which can be either be implemented as one time social policies (with varying popularity), can be implemented over and over again or unlock other more secretive cards like black ops, misinformation, regime change, covert sterilization and gene plagues. I will be running this game's second scenario, "Fuel Crisis", which has a total of 20 turns (100 years) as my first game and after that I'll see if I have the stamina for more or not as they will be longer. "Fuel Crisis" as the name implies deals with the sudden lack of fuels and the possible impending disaster of global financial crisis in the short term and the implications of climate change in the long term.

Audience Participation?

Yes, there will be audience participation. In the normal game a single person runs all environmental and social initiatives under the organization known as GEO. In reality this person is nothing more than a figurehead as nations will probably never give up sovereignty to another organization. The real power lies with six individuals who act as representatives for their regions. The six of you (the people I choose) get to tell Mr. Jameson (me) what to do. There are twelve regions to govern and while I don't want to hand off each region to a single person (as six is already an exercise in cat herding), I will be letting six people manage two regions apiece. Each of these has their own strengths and weaknesses. The first world is able to maintain cruise control far more easily than a place like Africa (especially North Africa) which are in desperate need of aid. While China has a dynamic economy it is easily the biggest polluter because of its massive dependence on coal. India has massive social and structural problems. So does the Middle East, but they have access to oil wealth and oil reserves and have negotiating power when oil shortages hit. South Asia and Latian America are poor but stable, though Latin America also has untapped oil sitting in its ground. Oceania, North America and Europe and Japan are wealthy first world nations. Russia as always is that weird, paranoid middle child that isn't quite rich, but isn't quite poor either. It does have plenty of oil riches though.

I will split the pool of money that I get six ways and each person will be able to run his or her area as he or she wills. You can push towards an ecological utopia, push forward with scientific research, maintain the status quo and rake in cash, run a dystopian police state or any combination of the above provided that you have the cash to do so.

I'm looking for the regional "representatives" of the following places:

1. North America and Latin America

2. Europe and Russia

3. North Africa and South Africa

4. The Middle East and India

5. China and South Asia

6. Oceania and Japan

I'm looking for people who are interested in talking to other players, negotiating, loving each other over (or not), etc. It isn't first come first serve. The people who look the most interested and have the time to play are more likely get the roles.

Anything Else?

Yes. This game is pretty drat hard. I don't expect to win on the first go around and perhaps not even on the second or third. It is possible that we will never win a single game. This is okay. New players of this game are going to lose a lot. I lost over twenty times before I won anything past the tutorial scenario and then only by the skin of my teeth. Again, this is okay as it can take a long time to lose and you can have fun in the mean time. On the surface the game looks easy, but behind all of that are dozens of tiny modifiers that shift behind the scenes. Modifiers that even I can't always see. For example: Want to stop burning coal? You can, but you risk massive energy shortages and financial collapse unless you can absorb those energy needs elsewhere. On top of that you have to manage public opinion. If you run out of public opinion points (represented by hearts) you lose control of your country for a few turns and lose all of your agents (which cost money and allow you to put down cards in the first place). Luckily you'll have a backup region. That is unless you screw up both. Don't do that.

I may implement some rules in case you go down one path in particular deep black ops, but as long as you have one other person in the game who likes you then you will be allowed to do as you like. Keep in mind that if you all go for the Blade Runner world there is a chance that there are world riots and that the game will end. This progressively goes away with time, but if you do too much too fast you may end the game by accident. So don't exterminate entire populations, or at least don't everyone do it at once.

Money may be shared. Again, everyone gets the same amount. Exactly one sixth of the current GEO funds. If you have excess cash at the end of the turn you may share it with another player. I will not enforce any loans that are due. Lend at your own risk. Money may also be used to buy favors from other players in case you need them. These favors are all informal and you may keep or renege on them as you will. This is all between players. Any unspent money does not get banked. It is split six ways at the end of next turn. Use it or lose it.

Finally, I don't expect all of you to do the same thing. If you work together for the greater good you may have a better chance of winning, but if you want to do your own thing you will be allowed to do so. Players are always free to apply pressure or negotiate with each other, but if you want to go rogue you are completely allowed to do so. I am going to be completely hands off, though I will warn you if you are at risk for losing your region or prematurely ending the game.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer. I will give you a five year report of your potential actions if asked but only as if all other regions stayed the same, so it will be a projection and therefor not perfect. I politely ask for no spoilers. The game often plays the same in the short term, but in the long term I continue to stumble across new events and technologies even after playing through the game more than one hundred times. Not everyone has played this before and I want people to experience that as for all of its faults I adore this game. I want you to as well.

Post Rate

I'll try to get a post out every two to three days. This will provide for some cross talk between players in the thread and decision making and negotiating time if necessary before I call for final actions. The first game will run for 20 turns (the equivalent of 100 years), so this will mean somewhere between one and two months. If you don't post I'll manage a turn for you. If you miss two posts I will hand your regions off to a new glorious leader. :commissar: If you are out of town or need a sudden break just let me know and I'll try to work with you. Just don't drop everything without telling me.

Work together and save the world or stand alone and destroy it. Six of you will decide!

Second Post (The informational one which lists the current state of each country and any descriptions of unlocked cards.)

:siren:Cards!:siren:

Unlocked Cards. As more cards get unlocked I will add to this list. This will give a quick description as to what each card is called, how much it costs, how long it takes to implement and a quick description of what it does.

Agents

Cost: $50

Time: Five Years, works forever(ish)

These are your GEO operatives in the field that oversee GEO's policies (cards). While these aren't cards they do allow you to place cards. If you don't have any agents you can't place any cards. Too many agents may be a waste as well because if you don't have the money you can't deploy the cards in the first place. Technically they last forever, but they can get murdered if the region isn't stable enough or expelled entirely if GEO loses support (and you don't get that money back).

The Environmental Office

Cost: $25

Time: Five Years, works forever

These cards deal with food and environmental issues. Unlocks other cards.

Regional Technology Office

These cards offer technological answers to problems as well as the ability to fund research projects. Unlocks other cards.

Regional Energy Office

These cards help manage, restrict and alleviate energy problems. Unlocks other cards.

Regional Welfare Office

These cards unlock ways to deal with health, wealth and social issues. Unlocks other cards.

Political Office

These cards unlock ways to deal with security both mundane and extraordinary. Unlocks other cards.

Project Cards

These cards are multi-year cards that deal with issues that can't (usually) be solved in a mere five years or ongoing projects like building power sources that don't necessarily have an end date.

Bid for GEO headquarters

Cost: $200

Time: Five Years

Pros: This unlocks certain global policies. Increases public opinion by two! Go to space, set global policies. Unlocks a number of cards over the course of a game.

Cons: If GEO gets banned from this country it is game over. Also, if more than one player wants this I will flip a coin or roll a die in order to see who gets what.

Commit to Nuclear

Time: Infinite

Pros: Helps you better expand nuclear energy. Maybe even enough to switch away from dirty energy sources.

Cons: You may run out of uranium.

Commit to Renewables

Time: Very long but able to be completed.

Pros: This expands wind, tidal, solar and geothermal energy sources. Free(ish) energy! Less need to rely on finite resources!

Cons: Slow to complete.

Protect Land, Soil and Forests

Time: Very long but able to be completed.

Pros: Helps with reforestation projects, protects from erosion and trees help absorb carbon dioxide emissions.

Cons: No real cons. It just takes time and money perhaps better spent on other more immediate things.

Switch Transport to Electricity

Time: Variable

Pros: Massively cuts back the need for oil.

Cons: Massively increases the need for other sources of energy. Make sure that you have the energy before you do this.

Cap and Trade Carbon Emissions

Cost: $30

Time: Long but able to be completed.

Pros: Causes the biggest polluters to pay more in taxes, causing there to be more efficiency in the industrial sector and less pollution. Unlocks other cards.

Cons: If everyone doesn't do it industry will move to other countries and there will be no change.

Coal Free Industry

Time: Variable (possibly very short)

Pros: Coal is dirty. Stop burning coal and you stop polluting so much.

Cons: If you don't have access to other sources of energy in sufficient quantities you may cause shortages in your industry. If you're unlucky you may cause a global financial meltdown.

Synthetic Oils Programme

Time: Infinite

Pros: You can subsidize plants that create synthetic fuels from coal or gas.

Cons: Causes pollution and emission problems.

Vegetarian Revolution

Time: Variable (short to never)

Pros: By eliminating meat from the diet of most people you reduce the ecological impact of agriculture (less polution) and you are more resistant to famine.

Cons: Depending on your region's outlook on things like climate change this will either be incredibly easy to implement or may never happen. Of course, there are ways to change the public's perception with time and money.

Tobin Tax

Cost: You get $100

Time: Your choice!

Pros: By creating a tax on all financial transactions you can increase the world's coffers.

Cons: You don't get the full $100. It is distributed six ways. Multiple regions can have this running at a single time though which cause everyone to get more money as a result. However, this will cause the loss of two support each turn. Not all regions have access to the Tobin Tax, most notable ones that are particularly poor. I will turn this on for the very first turn of the game automatically. If you want to turn this off tell me before the next turn so I can accurately tell everyone how much money they can spend. If you turn it on I will give you the first $100 to spend on your own (not including the very first turn) so I don't have to adjust everyone's money.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 18, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thread Title: Let's Play Fate of the World! (SSLP Audience Participation)
Put this in your pipe and smoke it in the test post thingie and link to it:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Xander77 posted:

Put this in your pipe and smoke it in the test post thingie and link to it:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/

Oh man, I can't believe that I missed that. Thank you.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Jalathas posted:

Dithiannim posted:

I'm talking about the one on the archives. Yeah, I only read the OP. I didn't like what I saw, so I didn't do much more than that.

As one of the guys who did that LP, there is definitely room for more of a straight runthrough, especially if you're gonna show all the extras off since we managed to miss some.

A thing that IS worth mentioning is that youtube especially will hit you for the terrible anime themesong and we found that we had to remove the audio in those sections. Try to watch out for that and good luck with your videos.

gunsage
May 18, 2013
Hey everybody! I'm a dumb new user and already had a thread closed. :/ So hopefully I'm doing this right this time. Somebody recommended I posted here instead because I have no idea what I'm doing, so here goes. I've been on the Internet for a while and strangely never signed up for SA, so I decided to do that and wanted some feedback on a Let's Play series I've recently launched, which can be viewed here:

http://gunsage.wordpress.com/category/funny/japanese-games-are-hard/

Or on youtube, whatever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHw0iiHiMc

I've only recently started this series (and just developed a sore throat), so I apologize about the roughness. Essentially it's a series where I play Japanese only games that I know absolutely nothing about (or if I know any one single thing about it, I deliberately get it wrong) and make fun of them as well as myself (mostly myself) by portraying a clearly dumb gamer that's attempting to pass himself off as a Japanese gaming "expert."

So far it's just been a random selection of games. I'm not really intending to beat these titles, so I don't know if that even qualifies as a Let's Play. All the same, I would definitely appreciate feedback on this.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

gunsage posted:

I'm a dumb

Yerp, I really suggest you go read the forum rules a bit. Maybe even our subforums rules, cause I'm pretty sure you just broke like five of them.

On the subject of the actual video, ummm... the fumbling through the menus is something that really didn't need to be in there and the "Hey it's in Japanese and I can't read it and I don't know what's going on" got old after the first 30 seconds. Like it was 5 minutes until you started walking right. ALSO, I would suggest knowing something about the game if you're going to play a game in another language, I did not enjoy you not figuring out what to do for 10 minutes. I wouldn't say that you showed me a Hard Japanese game, you showed me a game where you didn't know what you were doing for 10 minutes. Also, you have static in the background of your audio, you should really deal with that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ApocalypseToast posted:

LP Metro: 2033 (subtitles)

After playing Metro: Last Light, I wanted to play through 2033 again. I've done videos that had commentary before but that was when I didn't care about doing things proper. Rather than make the same mistakes, I want to try a subtitle-video LP this time. My intent is to have a light to medium amount of subtitles, popping up only when I think I have something interesting to write rather than plaster the video with text. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.

I really think medium-low volume subtitles is the way to go for a game that relies on atmosphere the way Metro does. Additionally I believe the other LP of the game was subtitled as well and sort of took that tract.

The video kept freezing for me, it would play for 30 seconds, stop, play for 30 seconds and stop completely. Not loading, just stopping. My own videos didn't have that problem, but it may be a cache thing for Chrome and not a problem with the video.

gunsage posted:

A boring video

I would really suggest either playing the game first next time so you know what to do or choosing a game that makes use of a language you can read so it doesn't become a menu simulator. Watching this was torturous because, as it turns out, watching someone fumble through the same menus for three minutes and then try to figure out the controls for another three on top of that isn't fun.

gunsage
May 18, 2013
I'm sorry, guys. It's really meant to be more sarcastic than anything. The 3x3 Eyes vid features me just dicking around, but I thought it was funny. The other vids actually feature me playing the games and commenting on them. I probably won't be able to do any more until my cold clears up, but I really enjoy making them. What I usually do with these is play them a bit without commentary to see if it's something I can even comment on at all. If it's something that's at least halfway fun that I can comment on, then I go back and do a one episode LP of it.

Again, I'm not even sure that qualifies as an LP at all, as it mocks LPs in general.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Then why are you posting it here?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

gunsage posted:

I'm sorry, guys. It's really meant to be more sarcastic than anything. The 3x3 Eyes vid features me just dicking around, but I thought it was funny. The other vids actually feature me playing the games and commenting on them. I probably won't be able to do any more until my cold clears up, but I really enjoy making them. What I usually do with these is play them a bit without commentary to see if it's something I can even comment on at all. If it's something that's at least halfway fun that I can comment on, then I go back and do a one episode LP of it.

Again, I'm not even sure that qualifies as an LP at all, as it mocks LPs in general.

So you play a game to see if you would like it, then if you do you go back and do a LP. While that is better than the alternative, you should only be LPing games that you really like and are invested in, then doing the whole game through. Short one-off videos is YouTube crap.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

gunsage posted:

"Hey, guys! I'm here to make fun of you all for doing something you enjoy that already probably stigmatizes the few of you who don't manage to completely separate your online and real-life identities by doing it terribly, and now I'm here to be praised for my ability to ignore absolutely everything else going on in this subforum that says what I'm doing is a terrible idea and I'm going to be laughed at. Isn't that great?"

My sincere hope with regard to the "reforming Youtubers" mentality is that we don't even know it's happening most of the time. I have to assume that some flimsy statistical analysis would indicate that at least a few of the recent people who have shown up, posted an LP, received criticism, and worked with it to become better have already done this sort of thing elsewhere, read the forums, realized they were working to a different standard, and cleaned up their act without bragging about having done it. It's the sort of thing that would ironically give us a bit more faith in humanity if we knew it was happening.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nidoking posted:

"Hey, guys! I'm here to make fun of you all for doing something you enjoy that already probably stigmatizes the few of you who don't manage to completely separate your online and real-life identities by doing it terribly, and now I'm here to be praised for my ability to ignore absolutely everything else going on in this subforum that says what I'm doing is a terrible idea and I'm going to be laughed at. Isn't that great?"

My sincere hope with regard to the "reforming Youtubers" mentality is that we don't even know it's happening most of the time. I have to assume that some flimsy statistical analysis would indicate that at least a few of the recent people who have shown up, posted an LP, received criticism, and worked with it to become better have already done this sort of thing elsewhere, read the forums, realized they were working to a different standard, and cleaned up their act without bragging about having done it. It's the sort of thing that would ironically give us a bit more faith in humanity if we knew it was happening.

You act like most of the youtube people coming here aren't just looking to whore themselves out for views.

I do question whether most of the people that have these issues have ever done any research. I mean, I understand that they might pick up the idea from YouTube, but a google search for "Let's Play" shows the results as

1. The Archive
2. Short Wikipedia article about what a SSLP/VLP is and says it came from here
3. Here

So it's not like it would take them more than five minutes to figure out what the standard is for LPs. They just choose not to, I guess.

gunsage
May 18, 2013
Actually, I really like LPs in general and have a few favorite LPers. There's a youtube user by the name of retsuparae that makes fun of terrible LPs, providing commentary on...their commentary. I always thought this was funny because while there are a lot of excellent LPs out there, there are also a lot of terrible ones. My thought was, from a comedic and sarcastic standpoint, do one episode LPs of different Japanese titles knowing little to no information about the game beforehand, but attempting to pass it off as I was some sort of expert.

Again, I didn't mean any disrespect. What you guys do is awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

gunsage posted:

My thought was, from a comedic and sarcastic standpoint, do one episode LPs of different Japanese titles knowing little to no information about the game beforehand, but attempting to pass it off as I was some sort of expert.

Out of the rest of that terrible post, I want to call this one out. That's one joke. It takes around 30 seconds from setup to punchline. Now you need to move on to another joke for the remaining 9 minutes 30 seconds of your video.

No (good) comedian stretches one joke for 10 minutes. It won't work.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

gunsage posted:

I always thought this was funny because while there are a lot of excellent LPs out there, there are also a lot of terrible ones.

And you've made another! You must be very proud. :allears:

Find something you love and play that. Or else, you know, actually be funny. The first is probably easier.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 18, 2013

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Posting a pair of sslp test posts here for feedback on a planned Crusader Kings II Game of Thrones mod SSLP.

OP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12456
Choosing our character: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=12457 (:siren: GoT/ASoIaF spoilers :siren:, though nothing that hasn't been seen or mentioned in the show already)

I'm working on the post showing off the unique GoT mod mechanics now. I wanted to let people have some input into which scenario and character I roll with, so unfortunately I don't have an example update to post in the Sandcastle. If you want an idea of how the updates will be written, Thanquol's Flamboyant Schemers CKII LP is basically the model -- mostly narrative from the perspective of a character, walking through the various events with screenshots, and non-narrative summary and audience choices at the end.

This is my first LP, so thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/criticism.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

gunsage posted:

There's a youtube user by the name of retsuparae that makes fun of terrible LPs, providing commentary on...their commentary.

You mean Slowbeef, who's a mod of this subforum?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

gunsage posted:

The 3x3 Eyes vid features me just dicking around, but I thought it was funny.

You thought wrong.

Seriously, none of that was funny. At all.

EDIT: escalator dropdown, just pick a random character and play for a few years to make a test post, then start over when you make your thread. I know that I will read the hell out of that LP if it's decently written.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 18, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

sgtsnookums posted:

You mean Slowbeef, who's a mod of this subforum?

And then it comes full circle as Slowbeef uses the 3x3 Eyes video for RP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

gunsage posted:

Actually, I really like LPs in general and have a few favorite LPers. There's a youtube user by the name of retsuparae that makes fun of terrible LPs, providing commentary on...their commentary. I always thought this was funny because while there are a lot of excellent LPs out there, there are also a lot of terrible ones. My thought was, from a comedic and sarcastic standpoint, do one episode LPs of different Japanese titles knowing little to no information about the game beforehand, but attempting to pass it off as I was some sort of expert.

Again, I didn't mean any disrespect. What you guys do is awesome.

I love that retsupurae guy! A recommendation for you: check out some commentary by a man known as Rifftrax, as well. Also, that Chip And Ironicus fellow has some good stuff he's done. These are some of my favorite singular people.

• Locked thread