Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MotU posted:

Sims 3 is one of the best selling games of all time, with the Sims 2 and the Sims being two of the games that beat it so I dunno, a lot of people? EA might be a bad company but it is a bad company that sells games that people buy.

That could be true but is barely relevant because the Sims is more or less a PC game, it won't ever effect any consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I do think the resistive low-res touchscreen may turn some potential buyers off from the Wii U. It's not nearly enough to put the Wii U where it is, but after playing around with nice smartphone touchscreens, I was significantly turned off by the console personally as soon as I tried to use that touchscreen--it is not fun to use at all. I mean, it's the lack of games I'm interested in that kept me from buying it in the end, but my impression of the touchscreen was pretty negative. Maybe Nintendo could release a premium version with the same resolution but a better touchscreen down the line?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MinibarMatchman posted:

That could be true but is barely relevant because the Sims is more or less a PC game, it won't ever effect any consoles.

Madden, Fifa, and Battlefield all sell like crazy.

Also, EA just got the exclusive rights to make Star Wars games which is kind of a big deal!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Was this when it launched at five-hundred ninety-nine U.S. dollars? Because if so, he was absolutely right. Where Sony took that system from a horrendous launch is very impressive.

People were laughing at Michael Dell for his Apple comment last year even though at the time he was 100% right.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Harry posted:

People were laughing at Michael Dell for his Apple comment last year even though at the time he was 100% right.

What comment was that? I think Michael Dell lost all ability to make comments on Apple when he said that they should close up shop and liquidate back in 1997.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

waffle posted:

I do think the resistive low-res touchscreen may turn some potential buyers off from the Wii U. It's not nearly enough to put the Wii U where it is, but after playing around with nice smartphone touchscreens, I was significantly turned off by the console personally as soon as I tried to use that touchscreen--it is not fun to use at all. I mean, it's the lack of games I'm interested in that kept me from buying it in the end, but my impression of the touchscreen was pretty negative. Maybe Nintendo could release a premium version with the same resolution but a better touchscreen down the line?

Can you use a stylus on a capacitive touch screen? I was under the impression you couldn't, or at least you couldn't with much accuracy. I'm probably wrong though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bland posted:

Can you use a stylus on a capacitive touch screen? I was under the impression you couldn't, or at least you couldn't with much accuracy. I'm probably wrong though.

Yeah. You can't use any stylus, but they make capacitive styli that work well.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Revol posted:

What comment was that? I think Michael Dell lost all ability to make comments on Apple when he said that they should close up shop and liquidate back in 1997.

Exactly that one. Apple was loving terrible back in 97.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The most fundamental problem of the console isn't a lack of games, it's the lack of an attractive image. Just like the most important front in a war is the battle of psychology, if Nintendo turns its marketing around dramatically so that consumers desire it, consoles will sell and then companies will want to develop for it. Apple's products sell to a large extent, if not mostly, because of their image. Nintendo needs to let people know that the console EXISTS. They simultaneously have to put forth the image of a company that can be versatile with its method of content delivery, such as games for older players, decent online structure, the encouragement to make lots of friends and communicate with them in real time, proper account systems, and more generous value in their eShop service. The image it has right now is that of an rear end-backwards toy company that barely knows what the nature of the internet in the modern age is.

waffle posted:

So they should have two controllers that respond to touch completely differently, for the same console?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Harry posted:

Exactly that one. Apple was loving terrible back in 97.

Oh, I got confused. I read that as "Dell made a comment last year. Everybody laughed about it. But he was right." I thought he had new insight on Apple, and my argument was his 1997 comments invalidate any opinion he now has on Apple. It doesn't matter how right he was back in 1997. It matters how insanely, incredibly wrong he would have been considering where Apple is now.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Revol posted:

Oh, I got confused. I read that as "Dell made a comment last year. Everybody laughed about it. But he was right." I thought he had new insight on Apple, and my argument was his 1997 comments invalidate any opinion he now has on Apple. It doesn't matter how right he was back in 1997. It matters how insanely, incredibly wrong he would have been considering where Apple is now.

Well no poo poo it's easy to see how things turned out and say that. Things change. When he originally said it, Apple was 2 months away from bankruptcy and had to be bailed out by Microsoft.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I totally disagree with the tablet being called 'low resolution'. The 854×480 spec may sound poor, but it works for the format. I think the picture on the tablet is pretty darn good, all considering. For it to be a higher resolution, you'd need to be paying a lot more for this thing. I think Nintendo got the best bang for their buck in that aspect.

The 158 ppi resolution of the Wii U GamePad is higher than almost any desktop monitor you'll find on the market and non-Retina display iPads.

Harry posted:

Well no poo poo it's easy to see how things turned out and say that. Things change. When he originally said it, Apple was 2 months away from bankruptcy and had to be bailed out by Microsoft.

And it was easy for Michael Dell to say it's time to give up on Apple. But Steve Jobs had a vision, which is something that Dell never has had.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Revol posted:

And it was easy for Michael Dell to say it's time to give up on Apple. But Steve Jobs had a vision, which is something that Dell never has had.

You clearly don't remember what started this. Someone brought up what Newell said about PS3, which was probably accurate at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

If the Wii U picks up in sales, EA will make Wii U games, no matter how crappy Nintendo's technology is.
You need games to pick up in sales. It's not like Nintendo is making 20 games for the Wii U a year. Slated between now and January are the following: Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101, and Wind Waker HD. Everyone expects the new Mario title and Mario Kart to reach stores this holiday season, but Nintendo also promised a launch window that included Pikmin and Wonderful 101, and those games only missed their target by about... oh... eight to nine months.

I mean everyone right now assumes that Wii U will be just like the 3DS. But Wii U can't keep up with the 3DS in first party support, because the 3DS is a handheld that allows for smaller budgets and smaller teams and smaller ambitions, and Nintendo has already admitted that they have no idea how to staff or budget an HD production for U.

The original Wii had 16 first party titles released in its first year. Wii U at this moment has a total of 4. There are only 3 upcoming titles with a confirmed day and date 2013 release. A lot of TBAs. The 3DS, between retail and eShop, has over 30 first party titles, with 6 more coming in the second half of this year. There's just no way Wii U can keep up, unless they start porting 3DS titles to the U, like was rumored with Kid Icarus.

Fewer games is fewer sales, fewer sales is a continuation of third party apathy.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 18, 2013

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I feel that the Wii U really needed to launch back in 2010. The novelty of the original Wii was already long gone by that point, and it's not like anything of significant worth has been released for it since (Xenoblade is a notable exception). Had that happened, the Wii U would now be entering its third year. The issues plaguing its OS and online infrastructure would likely be ironed out by now, and it could potentially have the best versions of current third party games (which, truth be told, are really beginning to show the age of the Xbox360 and PS3 hardware). Nintendo would also be well positioned to release the Wii U's successor in late 2014, with hardware comparable to the PS4 and next Xbox. I'm sure there's plenty of good reasons why this didn't and couldn't happen, but it's nice to imagine what if.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm kind of wondering if they could fix the branding problem by doing something insane like a major UI upgrade, a hardware redesign, and releasing it under a new name, or if that would just fragment the userbase and make everyone confused over what supports which titles.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm kind of wondering if they could fix the branding problem by doing something insane like a major UI upgrade, a hardware redesign, and releasing it under a new name, or if that would just fragment the userbase and make everyone confused over what supports which titles.

They are most likely stuck with the name. They need a major marketing push and a serious direction change.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Almost Smart posted:

and it could potentially have the best versions of current third party games (which, truth be told, are really beginning to show the age of the Xbox360 and PS3 hardware).
Could it, though? I mean what is the consensus with the Wii U hardware compared to that of other consoles? Last I checked it was: GPU and RAM size good, RAM speed eh, CPU not good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Midee posted:

Could it, though? I mean what is the consensus with the Wii U hardware compared to that of other consoles? Last I checked it was: GPU and RAM size good, RAM speed eh, CPU not good.
The PS4 has 4 times the amount of ram and it's GDDR5 as well. Also the Wii U was dedicating only 1 GB to games, so the PS4 could be dedicating 6-7x as much.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Nintendo will do fine when their flagship titles come out, just like the 3DS before it. I doubt it will be a huge hit like the Wii, but it might be another GameCube, not a Dreamcast.
Nintendo won't be leaving the hardware business until they lose the handheld war. The iPhone is the closest threat Nintendo has to worry about but the 3DS is still doing well.

Oddly enough the Wii U seems to be the most consumer friendly out of all the next gen consoles which is shocking giving nintendo's previous track record. All your Wii games and controllers work on the Wii U which is an amazing forward thinking move. I wish Sony and Microsoft would follow the trend Valve, Apple, and Nintendo have set but they've been aggressively screwing over consumers for a over 5 years now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oddly enough the Wii U seems to be the most consumer friendly out of all the next gen consoles which is shocking giving nintendo's previous track record. All your Wii games and controllers work on the Wii U which is an amazing forward thinking move. I wish Sony and Microsoft would follow the trend Valve, Apple, and Nintendo have set but they've been aggressively screwing over consumers for a over 5 years now.

Requiring hours for the absolutely colossal patch isn't consumer friendly, and the system is pretty crippled without it. I don't think you could even play Wii games without the day 1 patch.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yes you could. What part of your rear end did you pull that from?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Quest For Glory II posted:

The PS4 has 4 times the amount of ram and it's GDDR5 as well. Also the Wii U was dedicating only 1 GB to games, so the PS4 could be dedicating 6-7x as much.
Sort of irrelevant to the question Midee asked.

The problem with the Wii U CPU is that it's very different--much slower clock speed, but more efficient clock cycles than 360/PS3. It could have the best looking versions of PS3 and 360 games thanks to the extra RAM and better GPU (see Need For Speed Most Wanted) but I wouldn't bet on it--optimizing for such a different processor requires man hours, and that means sinking money into a system that, even if it had been released three years ago, would still have a much smaller install base than its competitors.

PS4 games that aren't really processor intensive might actually be easier ports than PS3 games just given the more modern processor architecture.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do we know that 360 controllers won't work on the next MS system? I hadn't heard either way. The PS4 controller obviously has new features that the 3 controller doesn't but I can't imagine there not being some support for PS3 controllers on it. That aside: Nintendo is extremely not consumer friendly when it comes to how they handle digital purchases. They're still tied to hardware and not a unified account and there's no cross compatibility for Virtual Console titles between the WiiU and the 3DS even though their competition has been offering this for seven years.

The WiiU is certainly the only one with full backwards compatibility which is nice but there's no way it's not dropped from future hardware revisions.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Surlaw posted:

The WiiU is certainly the only one with full backwards compatibility which is nice but there's no way it's not dropped from future hardware revisions.
Not sure there's much reason to drop it. Gamecube support was dropped from the Wii so they could take out the controller ports and mini-disc support and save on manufacturing costs. Wii U already natively supports all Wii controllers and accessories.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Surlaw posted:

I'm pretty sure NSMBU requires you to use Wii controllers for multiple players so that would be a really dumb choice to drop that support!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Chaltab posted:

Not sure there's much reason to drop it. Gamecube support was dropped from the Wii so they could take out the controller ports and mini-disc support and save on manufacturing costs. Wii U already natively supports all Wii controllers and accessories.
I certainly want that to be true but having the Wii stuff play in a separate mode just makes me feel like it's something they could really easily drop, while keeping the controller support.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It's honestly pure hatred for the consumer to not have games, accessories, etc backwardly compatible without forcing the consumer to rebuy everything again. Even when Apple changed the charging port on the iPhone 5 they came out with an adapter that allowed all your old accessories to work. Sony has already assured I'll be buying their console used with their streaming nonsense. I hope Microsoft has the sense to not screw customers, but they have a poor track record.

Nintendo isn't innocent either, they just are the least lovely in the giant pile of poo poo that is console gaming today. It's all the more reason I want valve to come out with the steambox and shakeup the console gaming market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't want to wish anything bad on Nintendo, but I honestly hope the Wii U fails miserably and Nintendo can continue as an extremely successful publisher and maker of handheld systems. I just don't understand who the Wii U is for. It's not cheap and the gimmick isn't going to appeal to non gamers like the Wii did. It's also roughly as powerful as the current gen consoles that are about to be phased out, only it's significantly more expensive and barely offers even a fraction of the games. Most of the current games that are coming out aren't even being released on Wii U which seems insane. Nintendo is a dinosaur in the console game and they should just embrace how much money they will make when they start making their IP's multi platform.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nintendo won't be leaving the hardware business until they lose the handheld war. The iPhone is the closest threat Nintendo has to worry about but the 3DS is still doing well.

I don't know the numbers and I am sure the iPhone has been brutal for handheld console sales, but at this point is there still a handheld war? I figured that people that are still buying 3DS's are doing so because of quality games vs just choosing a handheld platform to play on. I think the 3DS will have it's place until more robust games start regularly coming to iOS, which will never happen because the most profitable thing on iOS is FTP Facebook game garbage.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 18, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It's honestly pure hatred for the consumer to not have games, accessories, etc backwardly compatible without forcing the consumer to rebuy everything again.

Making the PS4 backwards compatible would involve putting a whole Cell processor in there, driving the price of the console up a significant amount.

Nintendo keeping Wii BC in the Wii U means they had to stick with the same PPC architecture they've been using since the Gamecube while everyone is else switching to x86.

I agree with you about accessories though, and as of now we don't know if they're going to work on the PS4 or Nextbox.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo should embrace making a new IP period, its loving Nintendo, just saying "A new IP from the minds of Nintendo" would sell it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Nintendo should embrace making a new IP period, its loving Nintendo, just saying "A new IP from the minds of Nintendo" would sell it.
My guess is that every time they announce a game that is not MarioZeldaMetroid they get a barrage of complaints about when the next MarioZeldaMetroid game comes out and why they don't care about their fans.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Making the PS4 backwards compatible would involve putting a whole Cell processor in there, driving the price of the console up a significant amount.

Nintendo keeping Wii BC in the Wii U means they had to stick with the same PPC architecture they've been using since the Gamecube while everyone is else switching to x86.

I agree with you about accessories though, and as of now we don't know if they're going to work on the PS4 or Nextbox.

As a consumer I don't give a gently caress. I can upgrade my PC (or hell even move to a Mac or Linux) and the majority my steam games work. I can buy a new iPhone and all my apps work. I bought a Wii U and all my Wii poo poo works. If you're new electronic device isn't backward compatible it doesn't matter the reason, good or bad, that poo poo is unacceptable in 2013.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Surlaw posted:

Do we know that 360 controllers won't work on the next MS system? I hadn't heard either way. The PS4 controller obviously has new features that the 3 controller doesn't but I can't imagine there not being some support for PS3 controllers on it. That aside: Nintendo is extremely not consumer friendly when it comes to how they handle digital purchases. They're still tied to hardware and not a unified account and there's no cross compatibility for Virtual Console titles between the WiiU and the 3DS even though their competition has been offering this for seven years.

I don't think Nintendo really cares too much about digital purchases considering the pathetic lack of internal storage on the Wii-U. The base model doesn't even have enough room to download Nintendo Land. Considering that some games can top 20GB these days, even the 32 gigs in the deluxe model is rather small. I know that it supports USB storage devices, but that's just an additional $50-$100 on top of the price of the console and makes for extra shelf clutter, wall-warts, etc... I can't see a good reason for them not to have included a 2.5" bay on this thing, even if it was empty.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Alteisen posted:

This hasn't quite worked even when the games are really good. Hotel Dusk did poorly enough that they never brought its sequel to the US in spite of it getting a full English release, Chibi Robo is pretty much dead in spite of being really fun. I wish this DID work because their few attempts at new franchises have been good.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Surlaw posted:

This hasn't quite worked even when the games are really good. Hotel Dusk did poorly enough that they never brought its sequel to the US in spite of it getting a full English release, Chibi Robo is pretty much dead in spite of being really fun. I wish this DID work because their few attempts at new franchises have been good.

I dunno most of their new franchises have been Mario Spinoffs or stuff like Pikmin. People like Metroid and Zelda because they're action games with a lot of exploration. I think when people say they want a new Nintendo IP they want something along those lines. They just want more action games.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The_Franz posted:

I don't think Nintendo really cares too much about digital purchases considering the pathetic lack of internal storage on the Wii-U. The base model doesn't even have enough room to download Nintendo Land. Considering that some games can top 20GB these days, even the 32 gigs in the deluxe model is rather small. I know that it supports USB storage devices, but that's just an additional $50-$100 on top of the price of the console and makes for extra shelf clutter, wall-warts, etc... I can't see a good reason for them not to have included a 2.5" bay on this thing, even if it was empty.

You only need to look at the software prices as well.

ZombiU; (Europe eShop) £54.99

Fifty five loving quid for a digital download. :aaaaa:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Make a new Elite Beat Agents using the Wii-U tablet, make it huge, make all the situations involve Nintendo characters. Smash Bros Elite Beat Agents. "Stuck In The Metal With You" by EoDM while Waluigi gets hard-luck poo poo from everyone. Twilight Princess Link in "Hungry Like The Wolf."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Super Slash posted:

You only need to look at the software prices as well.

ZombiU; (Europe eShop) £54.99

Fifty five loving quid for a digital download. :aaaaa:
I think it was their original plan from the beginning to have download versions all exactly the same price. I have no idea how that is working out for them though.

edit: vvv Nintendo's investors certainly won't see it that way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
The Wii U is Nintendo's Waterloo, I think they are done in home consoles.

And frankly it's not entirely their fault, the Tablet / Smartphone is taking over casual gaming and Xbox / PS4 will clean up anyone else.

Edit. Just think how much money they'd make if they re-released every single classic title on iOS and Android.

Samara fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 18, 2013

• Locked thread