Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KillHour posted:

A week. And probably just streaming Spotify while browsing SA. Maybe Netflix if I come across some pockets of 4G.

Edit: With that question solved, would it be better to root my One or my wife's S3? I actually like the new version of Sense.

Which ever. Whoever has the least to lose in case you end up factory reset because of a gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

I just tried installing a ROM, and now my phone won't turn on. When I press the power button, the lights on the front just flash. Did I brick it? :ohdear:

Edit:

Holy balls, holding power down for like 20 seconds fixed it. Was scared shitless.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 17, 2013

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

KillHour posted:

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

I just tried installing a ROM, and now my phone won't turn on. When I press the power button, the lights on the front just flash. Did I brick it? :ohdear:

Edit:

Holy balls, holding power down for like 20 seconds fixed it. Was scared shitless.

As long as you install a recovery you really can't brick your phone unless you try, there's three layers of protection which all need to be hosed in some way for your phone to be totally hosed.

ROM/OS
Recovery
Bootloader

If any one of those is working you're OK.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The issue is that the recovery was boned. Had to push a new one down with usb.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'm going on a trip out of state and was considering rooting my HTC One so I could tether my Chromebook to the wireless for the ride. How much roaming data do you have to pull before Sprint decides you're not worth it? I don't want to risk getting kicked off my plan.

You don't need to root, install this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mstream.e2t

It's the lite version so you don't get [url]https://[/url] but you can try it out and see if it works for you.

It's a reverse usb tether, (plug into the laptop with USB) then install Windows drivers. I've found it to work incredibly well and it overcomes one of the main drawbacks of tethering. Usually tethering will kill your battery very quickly, even if plugged into a computer it has to run two different modems (4g to get data, wireless to output to computer) and will slowly draw down your battery. Easy tether just runs the 4g and then sends the data up the wire.

For me it's been worth the $10 to have a rock solid tether option that doesn't require rooting. Once you install the drivers on your computers you can install the app on every Android phone you have and swap phones and computers at will.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stick100 posted:

You don't need to root, install this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mstream.e2t

It's the lite version so you don't get [url]https://[/url] but you can try it out and see if it works for you.

It's a reverse usb tether, (plug into the laptop with USB) then install Windows drivers. I've found it to work incredibly well and it overcomes one of the main drawbacks of tethering. Usually tethering will kill your battery very quickly, even if plugged into a computer it has to run two different modems (4g to get data, wireless to output to computer) and will slowly draw down your battery. Easy tether just runs the 4g and then sends the data up the wire.

For me it's been worth the $10 to have a rock solid tether option that doesn't require rooting. Once you install the drivers on your computers you can install the app on every Android phone you have and swap phones and computers at will.

Already rooted. The ability to remove the Sprint bloatware without it coming back, and make the HTC logo into the menu button was worth it alone. Also, I don't have a Windows laptop, only a Chromebook, so that won't work. Thanks for the info, though. I'll keep it in mind.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

I did reproduce it (and I'm apparently not the only one), but I rooted it and killed the Sprint ID apk already so I can't do it again.

And uninstall. Basically, I went to go customize my homescreens, saw that it had Lookout installed, and went into my apps to delete it because it's a steaming pile that I don't want on my phone. A minute or two later the "Sprint default configuration is ready to install" popped up, and if you hit Ok it reinstalls whatever you deleted, clears the layouts of the two non-blinkfeed homescreens, and resets them to the default.

You can hit the home key when it pops up to close it, but it keeps coming back. You can also manually end the Sprint ID task, but when you reboot it'll start again.

We're getting our demo One on display in the next couple of days, I'll try to record it on that one. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the GS4 and Torque will do the same thing, since they both use that Sprint ID-based default configuration software.

I attempted to reproduce on a S4 and it failed to do the behavior described, but I don't have access to a retail version. Please, please someone capture this on video so we can get it fixed. We can't move forward with a text description that is not reproducible on all handsets. I uninstalled Lookout, Scout and something else and the Sprint default configuration is ready to install did not popup.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 17, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
For those who don't want to root their S4, I got EasyTether Lite to work for USB tethering.

You have to download some drivers to the computer you want to use it with, but it's a pretty simple install. The lite worked for all the websites I needed, but it's only $9.99 to get the full version.

I haven't done any speed tests, but it sure seems snappier than the 3G tether I had with my TP2.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Usually tethering will kill your battery very quickly, even if plugged into a computer it has to run two different modems (4g to get data, wireless to output to computer) and will slowly draw down your battery.

I used my Epic 4G as a wireless hotspot for a little over a year as my home Internet connection and never had a problem with battery. Just plugged it into the USB slot on my cheapo laptop with a stock cable and it would slowly charge to full.

Granted, if it became unplugged and I didn't notice it, it would fall like a rock and die in less than two hours.

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)
Are there any plausible leaks/rumors about upcoming Sprint LTE phones with reasonable screen sizes (like 4" to 4.3")? The only flagship-tier option seems to be the iPhone 5, and the high cost of additional storage is an issue for me. I'd love to see some Motorola options besides the Photon Q with its charmingly anachronistic QWERTY slider, but I have no idea when new Motorola products--X Phone or otherwise--might be announced, nor whether there's any hope of them coming to Sprint. I'd hoped that Google I/O might generate some news, but apparently not.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Are there any plausible leaks/rumors about upcoming Sprint LTE phones with reasonable screen sizes (like 4" to 4.3")? The only flagship-tier option seems to be the iPhone 5, and the high cost of additional storage is an issue for me. I'd love to see some Motorola options besides the Photon Q with its charmingly anachronistic QWERTY slider, but I have no idea when new Motorola products--X Phone or otherwise--might be announced, nor whether there's any hope of them coming to Sprint. I'd hoped that Google I/O might generate some news, but apparently not.

You're pretty pretty much stuck with an iPhone or low end android phone if you have to have a 4" screen. Unfortunately most people want a large screen and that is what all high end phones seem to have these days.

I'd suggest trying out an S4 or One and seeing if you like the size. They really aren't that much bigger than a 4" screen and are a lot thinner so they are easy to hold one handed. Here is a picture I took of my 4" Nexus S4G on top of my 4.8" SGS3. The actual dimensions of the phones aren't that different but the screen size is a huge improvement.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Cuttlefish Party posted:

I was hoping the HTC One Mini might come to Sprint, but there's a rumor that it's probably going to be an AT&T exclusive.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

mcpringles posted:

I'd suggest trying out an S4 or One and seeing if you like the size. They really aren't that much bigger than a 4" screen and are a lot thinner so they are easy to hold one handed. Here is a picture I took of my 4" Nexus S4G on top of my 4.8" SGS3. The actual dimensions of the phones aren't that different but the screen size is a huge improvement.

Agreed. The main thing that it is still taking me some time to get used to on my S4 is just how thin and light this thing is. Coming from the 4" Epic, it's a huge difference. Height really isn't much of an issue, except for having to slightly adjust my grip to hit something at the very top, but I'm quickly getting used to it.

Pocket-wise, it fits so much better than any smartphone I've ever had, besides am iPhone 4S, but those things are crazy tiny.

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)
Thanks guys, I'll find my way to a Sprint store and see what the S4 feels like. It's just odd to me that the Android manufacturers have all but ceded the smaller form factor to Apple, but, well, it is what it is.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Thanks guys, I'll find my way to a Sprint store and see what the S4 feels like. It's just odd to me that the Android manufacturers have all but ceded the smaller form factor to Apple, but, well, it is what it is.

Hell just ask the rep you work with if you can pocket there phone. Almost everyone should have a 4.7 or larger device at this point. Customers always do that with mine and they always are shocked how "such a big phone fits in a pocket!"

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I appreciate that some folks legitimately find 4.7"-5.0" devices to be lol huge. But honestly, the devices sound larger than they actually are, and most folks are quite comfortable with them.

In particular, I expected the S4 to be noticeably larger than the S3 due to the increased screen size, but it's actually not. Either way, it's a device that feels better in the hand--the S3 definitely needs a case to not be a slippery bar of soap, but the S4 doesn't.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You stop noticing how big the One is really quickly. It doesn't seem any bigger than my old phone at this point.

Colon Power
Mar 1, 2005

WELCOME TO BEEF MOUNTAIN
Ok, I haven't been able to find an answer online for this so maybe you guys can help. I currently have my number integrated with Google voice and I have been diagnosed with a serious medical issue which unfortunately has kept me from working. If my account is suspended or disabled will google voice still let me send texts and make outgoing calls via Groove-ip with it still integrated?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Colon Power posted:

Ok, I haven't been able to find an answer online for this so maybe you guys can help. I currently have my number integrated with Google voice and I have been diagnosed with a serious medical issue which unfortunately has kept me from working. If my account is suspended or disabled will google voice still let me send texts and make outgoing calls via Groove-ip with it still integrated?

Yes. I let my Sprint service lapse for something like 3 months (outside of contract, mind you), and I could still use Voice to text uninterrupted over data/wifi using an AT&T iPhone. It still used my Sprint number that I had previously integrated with Voice.

Don't know about voice calls with Groove, since I haven't used it, but you can definitely text.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
My Galaxy S4 has stopped charging. Whether I plug into an outlet or into my PC, it will not recognize the connection. I do not have TEP and I got the phone on 4/27 is that still considered under warranty or will the sprint store charge me a repair fee?

The info the person on Sprint chat does not seem to be right;

quote:

If you don't have the insurance,our tech can look at it and see if it can be fixed... if we can't fix it you would have to go through the manufacturer, because you have a 1 year warrranty with Samsung ..I can get their for you.

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RagingHematoma posted:

My Galaxy S4 has stopped charging.
Have you tried a different USB cable? USB ports can go bad, but the cables are designed to fail more frequently (as they're easier to replace).

RagingHematoma posted:

I do not have TEP and I got the phone on 4/27 is that still considered under warranty or will the sprint store charge me a repair fee?
It's $50/incident to have a Sprint tech look at it, but probably worth it as you may be able to get it repaired the same day.

Otherwise you can call Samsung to have warranty service done on it. I believe the number is 888-987-HELP. Keep in mind it's two day shipping both ways, plus possibly a few days for the repair itself, so you should be prepared to be without the phone for at least a week, but it's free. It's possible they might do the "we'll ship you a loaner while your phone is repaired" thing for warranty work, I don't know, I've only used them for out-of-warranty repair.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok. So heres the situation:

I put TEP on my S3.
I took it to my sprint repair store.
They said, "yeah, our tech looked at it, and said he can fix it in a few hours"
Fine, left it there, went to pick it up today.
"Sorry, your phone has water damage, gotta spend it in. Luckily you get to spend $150 for a new one."

gently caress.

That was someone in heres plan. It was a good plan, thanks, I just couldn't believe the phone really had water damage. I mean, like I said, it had never gotten wet. But sure enough, from multiple sources here and with Sprint Cust Support, I hear that the humidity of a shower is enough to gently caress a phone and cause the corrosion my port now has.

So, live and learn, I guess, and let this be a lesson to all those who didnt give a second thought to some music in the shower or whatnot.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I just got back from Chicago. Wow, Sprint pretty much sucks there too. Decent in the burbs though. Pretty sad, I had to go outside near the CVS near Union Station to get google maps to load to get a bus route.

At least the Wimax towers are still up.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RagingHematoma posted:

My Galaxy S4 has stopped charging. Whether I plug into an outlet or into my PC, it will not recognize the connection. I do not have TEP and I got the phone on 4/27 is that still considered under warranty or will the sprint store charge me a repair fee?

The info the person on Sprint chat does not seem to be right;

That is correct.

If you're on sprint. Pay for TEP.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lovie Unsmith posted:

So I'm going to request an Airvana. I'm a SERO user and I see this in the OP:

Important numbers:
**Call this number to get a signal booster: 866-338-0077

Employee Care at 888-603-7981
SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282

Should I call the first number or the SERO number?

?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Someone said that number doesn't work, just call customer care and ask about the Airrave, you should get rerouted.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I recently had to call in to do just that. I first called the old airrave number, then the new one that message gives you. The rep on the new Airrave line told me she'd be happy to send me a new one for free but because it's an employee account (EPRP), she couldn't touch it. She then forwarded me to Employee Care and they outright told me they don't give it out for free anymore and that they were completely sold out of the free ones. I'd have to buy one for $130. I told them that the previous rep told me she could get it to me for free. The EC rep talked to her manager and he allowed it. It's apparently on the way and should arrive any day now.

You might have to do something similar, results may vary.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm eligible for an upgrade at the beginning of July for my E4GT and was thinking about picking up a Galaxy 4. If I flip my E4GT on Ebay, can I post the ESN as part of the auction, or is there some way someone can clone the phone using that info? What is the protocol for doing an Ebay transaction? I know with Craigslist, you can at least call Sprint with the potential buyer there and confirm that the ESN is good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm eligible for an upgrade at the beginning of July for my E4GT and was thinking about picking up a Galaxy 4. If I flip my E4GT on Ebay, can I post the ESN as part of the auction, or is there some way someone can clone the phone using that info? What is the protocol for doing an Ebay transaction? I know with Craigslist, you can at least call Sprint with the potential buyer there and confirm that the ESN is good.

Label it ESN available upon request and people can email you for the ESN.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Has anyone gone from a GS3 to an HTC One or used both the One and S4? I have a GS3 and trying to decide if I want to blow my upgrade on the One. I like my S3 but I really love the design of the One. I'm mostly concerned with the battery life and the placement of the power button.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Been with sprint for 4 years, 2yrs with Palm Pre and 2 years with HTC EVO 3D. I left for ATT and got the Galaxy S4. I went from 0-2bars at my house and under 1mbps everywhere in town to 3-4bars at my house with 22mbps down and LTE almost everywhere (from the coverage maps).

I had to pay a $50 ETF but I would have paid 2x that amount to leave Sprint. Feels good man.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcpringles posted:

Has anyone gone from a GS3 to an HTC One or used both the One and S4? I have a GS3 and trying to decide if I want to blow my upgrade on the One. I like my S3 but I really love the design of the One. I'm mostly concerned with the battery life and the placement of the power button.

I would get the S4. I'm using a One and HTC just makes silly android design decisions.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Duckman2008 posted:

I would get the S4. I'm using a One and HTC just makes silly android design decisions.

Regarding software or hardware? Touch wiz is goddamn horrible. And the S4 feels like every other cheap as poo poo phone Samsung has ever made. Of course, both are subjective.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

What do you not like about the One? I messed around with both at a store for a few minutes and sense seemed okay, but its hard to really tell on a demo phone. From the reviews I've read people say sense is more toned down than previous versions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcpringles posted:

What do you not like about the One? I messed around with both at a store for a few minutes and sense seemed okay, but its hard to really tell on a demo phone. From the reviews I've read people say sense is more toned down than previous versions.

It is more toned down, but there are still dumb little things. Like moving an app to the main screen requires 2 steps. Blink feed can't be removed. Etc. How the app drawer works specifically drives me crazy.

I might be nitpicking but it just bothers me a slight bit more than my S3 currently does. My main suggestion is to just try both in store.

The build of the One is great, although I don't think the S4 is bad, I like the feel of the S4 as well.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It is more toned down, but there are still dumb little things. Like moving an app to the main screen requires 2 steps. Blink feed can't be removed. Etc. How the app drawer works specifically drives me crazy.

I might be nitpicking but it just bothers me a slight bit more than my S3 currently does. My main suggestion is to just try both in store.

The build of the One is great, although I don't think the S4 is bad, I like the feel of the S4 as well.

Does anyone actually use the stock launcher though? Those complaints are all about the stock launcher. I switched to Nova the day after I got it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stevie Lee posted:

Does anyone actually use the stock launcher though? Those complaints are all about the stock launcher. I switched to Nova the day after I got it.

99.9% of owners probably use the stock launcher.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

What is wrong with the app drawer?

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you
I installed Nova and went back to the stock launcher. There are pros and cons for both, but I found for my use the stock launcher is fine. I have grown to like Blinkfeed, the app drawer was annoying but really it's not unreasonably bad, just different.

btw: I asked about how to refresh blinkfeed (in the android thread) without it being your home screen and pressing home but I don't think I got an answer - you can just tap the notification bar to reset it and have it go to the top.

All that said, if I had a S4 I'm sure I'd be just as happy as I am with my One. I'd check them out in stores and see what you prefer. Or if you're happy with your S3 save your upgrade for the next generation of phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
I was thrilled a couple of weeks ago when an LTE tower finally went live near my office (still none anywhere else in Baton Rouge that I have noticed). I felt vindicated having suffered through such terrible service for so long, like I was rewarded for tolerating it.

But then I got moved from the 3rd floor to the 1st, and now I'm back on super slow 3g. And we are still some undetermined amount of time away from the nextel deactivation, and no guarantee that LTE will move to that frequency anyway. I'm not sure what to do now.