Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

In other words, the Japanese?

Yeah exactly. I laughed out loud reading that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
OH poo poo! I REMEMBER THAT FISHING GAME FROM WHEN I WAS A KID!

Next episode should be really interesting. Pico and Vince are both entertaining characters, even if they're a little too transparently "______ with a heart of gold" types.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I like how inspiring this show can be, but I feel like it's directed by a bunch of guys who are completely oblivious to how sexist they are at times.
Women have been specifically recognized for serving in the military in WWII, and specifically for their work as parachute riggers.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2002-07-26/html/CREC-2002-07-26-pt1-PgS7429.htm
I'm pretty sure that from any modern point of reference, humanity has been sexist for most of its history, and remains so in many places. But it's not incredibly farfetched to claim there's a tradition of female parachute riggers. Perhaps the character himself is a little bit sexist. But it seems a tad stupid to ascribe it to the directors (or mangaka - remember, this anime is an adaptation) when there's a reasonable possibility of it actually being true, given how the series goes into a lot more detail about the space program than pretty much any other entertainment like it.

Xelkelvos posted:

In other words, the Japanese?
It's pretty obvious that Japan can have weird products, behaviors, cultural values, and so on. That doesn't make it inoffensive to make me feel like a shithead for being Japanese. There's a line between playing around with stereotypes for comedic value, and just ascribing some negative trait broadly to an entire culture. Please stop, or take your particular type of racism or (more likely) racist "jokes" elsewhere. Perhaps you believe it's funny to paint people with such broad strokes, and that your (probable) lack of malice is automatic and should be assumed by anyone reading. It might not be a big deal to you, but I take it very, very personally.

I rewrote this paragraph several times before posting, and a couple of times after, to remove some of my venom. I would ask you to apologize but it would mean very little; you're only one person and no doubt there's tens more who chuckled in agreement. So please, at least be careful when making this kind of joke in the future. Please.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 12, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Women have been specifically recognized for serving in the military in WWII, and specifically for their work as parachute riggers.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2002-07-26/html/CREC-2002-07-26-pt1-PgS7429.htm
I'm pretty sure that from any modern point of reference, humanity has been sexist for most of its history, and remains so in many places. But it's not incredibly farfetched to claim there's a tradition of female parachute riggers. Perhaps the character himself is a little bit sexist. But it seems a tad stupid to ascribe it to the directors (or mangaka - remember, this anime is an adaptation) when there's a reasonable possibility of it actually being true, given how the series goes into a lot more detail about the space program than pretty much any other entertainment like it.

There's a difference between acknowledging that women did work as parachute riggers in WWII and suggesting that present day women are better parachute riggers because "they want to keep their men safe" or whatever line was used in this episode. It's not the particular character either, many characters have made odd misogynistic comments. And who can forget the two big strong men going out to save Hibito and Damian even though the moon's gravity made strength irrelevant and one of the women had actual medical training.

This show is great, but it's definitely got its flaws.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shakugan posted:

There's a difference between acknowledging that women did work as parachute riggers in WWII and suggesting that present day women are better parachute riggers because "they want to keep their men safe" or whatever line was used in this episode. It's not the particular character either, many characters have made odd misogynistic comments. And who can forget the two big strong men going out to save Hibito and Damian even though the moon's gravity made strength irrelevant and one of the women had actual medical training.

This show is great, but it's definitely got its flaws.

Hmm, that definitely seems likely given the earlier episodes, but I wonder how much of that is in the direction and how much is in the source material? In either case, I feel that the women the show does spend any amount of time on are fairly strong and independent characters, so while I'm not too happy with the parachute-folding treatment, the show hasn't induced major discomfort on account of it. Just a "Hmm... :/" now and then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Hmm, that definitely seems likely given the earlier episodes, but I wonder how much of that is in the direction and how much is in the source material? In either case, I feel that the women the show does spend any amount of time on are fairly strong and independent characters, so while I'm not too happy with the parachute-folding treatment, the show hasn't induced major discomfort on account of it. Just a "Hmm... :/" now and then.

It's more apparent at different degrees in other series with some being fairly blatant with the "traditional female" role being emphasized and favored, even amongst tomboy characters. It's probably unintentional, but it's common enough not to be coincidental.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: Oh yeah Industry Tribal Knowledge 101 That was awesome, coming from the Cold War Airspace/Military History thread I hear a lot about how there's tonnes of poo poo no one can build anymore because the people who either designed it, or figured out how to actually practically make the parts aren't around. For the F-22 I hear they're actually video taping the process and interviewing factory floor workers/technicians just because of that.

I love when they bring bits like this in. It shows a lot of care and research on the part of the author. Plus I think the whole Tribal Knowledge thing is pretty wild. My eyes lit up when I realized they were going into that.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
New episode: Towards the end of his lectures I started to wish I could reach through the screen and punch that teacher.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Indiana_Krom posted:

New episode: Towards the end of his lectures I started to wish I could reach through the screen and punch that teacher.

I was visibly shaking with rage. If I were a parent and I heard some teacher said to my kids I wouldn't rest until his rear end was fired.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was visibly shaking with rage. If I were a parent and I heard some teacher said to my kids I wouldn't rest until his rear end was fired.

I had to wonder how much of that teacher's actions was as a part of small town politics and the largest local employer also running a local tech school. I bet he and the school system are both receiving all sorts of financial kickbacks to keep the local work-pool full.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda get the feeling that the author may have learned everything he knows about small-time America from super cliche movies where adults all poo poo on kids' dreams and then the kids show them by making those dreams come true :sweatdrop: Probably with an overbearing music number blaring in the background.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kinda get the feeling that the author may have learned everything he knows about small-time America from super cliche movies where adults all poo poo on kids' dreams and then the kids show them by making those dreams come true :sweatdrop: Probably with an overbearing music number blaring in the background.

In fairness, this episode was kinda more or less exactly how this movie happened; which is based on a true story. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, most schools would fire your rear end so fast that your head would spin for even suggesting that you can't go to college because you're from a small town.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Raenir Salazar posted:

In fairness, this episode was kinda more or less exactly how this movie happened; which is based on a true story. :v:

Rick actually says they were doing exactly what Homer Hickam did.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wikipedia posted:

October Sky is an anagram of Rocket Boys, the title of the book upon which the movie is based.
And we're watching Space Brothers :psyduck:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was more angry about the trucker hogging the leftmost lane, but yeah, that guy was an rear end in a top hat too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rexides posted:

I was more angry about the trucker hogging the leftmost lane, but yeah, that guy was an rear end in a top hat too.

I didn't know going over 100 was still near the speed limit in Texas

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

If they aren't going to do a proper fist bump then they should just stop animating it. :colbert:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Regarding the rear end-hat school counselor telling the boys to forget their space-faring dreams and become miners: He was probably both a stooge of the mining company as well as asked by many parents to attempt to squash the space-going dreams. I would imagine he might have some pent-up frustrations himself. We don't know about Rick's parents, but we can be sure the other two fathers were definitely wanting the counselor to tell the boys to give up on their dreams and become miners.

I was really hoping Mutta would say to Vince while they were driving to the bar, "Hey, I designed this car. You're going to slow...."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did they really need to spend 3 minutes recapping the previous episode?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

paragon1 posted:

Did they really need to spend 3 minutes recapping the previous episode?

This episode was almost up to recent One Piece episode levels of 6+ minutes before anything new happens. I wonder how far along the anime series is in the manga and when it's going to start running out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
At this point I've basically just accepted that the pacing is going to be very, very slow; every so often you have an episode where essentially nothing happens, like this one. Thankfully, it looks like next week's will have some plot advancement.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Just strap Mutta on a rocket and shoot him to space already, gently caress.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I stopped watching a few weeks ago just to let a backlog build up so I won't feel completely blueballed everytime I see the show. It's been terrible about pacing, but ever since the end of the first group test 30 something episodes ago it's been gradually getting worse and worse about it.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I really loving loved this show at one point but now I'm just sick of all these loving flashbacks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I still really enjoy the show, but I'm not going to lie, I really do not care about Pico or Vince at all. I want to see the plot/character development for Hibito and the Japanese astronaut candidates. As a result, all this focus on Vince and Pico's childhood is, admittedly, pretty loving frustrating.

The pacing would be bad even with it focusing primarily on those key cast members, but it wouldn't be quite this glacial.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rexides posted:

Seriously get these fuckers into real astronaut training for fucks sake.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Rexides posted:

Considering Hibito's coming back in a few days they're actually moving backwards in getting the brothers into space.

Honestly, at this point I just skip 'till after the OP. Everything before that's going to be recap and flashback anyway. Also, didn't Vince go into the army? If there's one thing that's considered a valid career choice in a podunk American town it's that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

At this point I've basically just accepted that the pacing is going to be very, very slow; every so often you have an episode where essentially nothing happens, like this one. Thankfully, it looks like next week's will have some plot advancement.

Same here, I internalize its pacing by likening it to a soap opera. I know not much is going to happen each time but there's so many good character moments I'm fine with it.

I do like the Vince/Pico tangent though, it took two jerk rear end characters who seemed there to be obstructions to actual human beings who had their own motivations and careers to contrast with Mutta; it really gets home like sure, in a career you'll have some stern hard asses but they're that sometimes for a good reason and you should learn from the good ones.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I like the pace in the sense that I think it contributes to the overall show, even if it makes the week to week viewing torturous. By this, I mean that if all episodes of the show were available right now, and could be watched back to back, we would appreciate the pace. This show has an absolutely enormous cast of characters, and the slow pace is what allows each and every character to be individual characters with their own traits. A faster pace would mean the show would be relying on awful stereotypes more often, or that many of the characters would blend into one another.

What I'm curious to know is if this slow pace is due to the author, or the adapters. Is the manga this slow in terms of content per chapter? Or are the adapters only adapting a chapter per episode?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

"Space is other people", I think that's the message of the show from what I understand because the whole going to actual space thing seems like a farce at this point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rexides posted:

"Space is other people", I think that's the message of the show from what I understand because the whole going to actual space thing seems like a farce at this point.

Of the show or in real life?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shakugan posted:

What I'm curious to know is if this slow pace is due to the author, or the adapters. Is the manga this slow in terms of content per chapter? Or are the adapters only adapting a chapter per episode?

They've been doing around a chapter per episode most of the time, so both the anime and the manga move at the same pace.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

Also, didn't Vince go into the army? If there's one thing that's considered a valid career choice in a podunk American town it's that.

That was probably how he managed to pay for college without any support from his family. Makes sense, actually.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This show :3: It keeps punching me where it counts. :shobon:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That was a great episode. Group hug, guys!

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Always managing to make me feel good at the end. Did they really run out of space photos or just assumed that no one really cared about them in the first place? :(

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What is going on? That's two episodes in a row that have moved along relatively fast; starting, developing and concluding issues that I expected to take up multiple episodes (the actual competition and the reentry of Hibito in particular I expected to take quite some time). I'm particularly glad about the reentry thing, though I actually enjoy the glacial pace of the show, I'm really not much of a fan of Hibito (and so glacial pace + Hibito = many weeks of ehhh).

That brings up something really odd about this show. Hibito is supposed to be a really central character, but I don't really feel like we know him well at all. We don't really get into his head to the same extent as other characters. Like, I feel like we know Pico (and a whole range of secondary characters) better than Hibito after just a few episodes.

It's odd that in a show that fleshes out even the secondary cast that Hibito is still such an enigma.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shakugan posted:

What is going on? That's two episodes in a row that have moved along relatively fast; starting, developing and concluding issues that I expected to take up multiple episodes (the actual competition and the reentry of Hibito in particular I expected to take quite some time). I'm particularly glad about the reentry thing, though I actually enjoy the glacial pace of the show, I'm really not much of a fan of Hibito (and so glacial pace + Hibito = many weeks of ehhh).

That brings up something really odd about this show. Hibito is supposed to be a really central character, but I don't really feel like we know him well at all. We don't really get into his head to the same extent as other characters. Like, I feel like we know Pico (and a whole range of secondary characters) better than Hibito after just a few episodes.

It's odd that in a show that fleshes out even the secondary cast that Hibito is still such an enigma.

I think this show is more about relationships than individuals.

With Pico we didn't really learn much about him on his own, but we did learn a lot about his relationship with the other two. With Hibito it's the same; we know all about his relationship with Mu, but not him as an individual. The only individual we really know well is Mutta because he is the central character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else shocked that Pico has a wife and two kids? Also, Mutta's mom and dad were as awesome as ever. However, Mutta's dad's shirt made no sense this time. You'd think they'd have a better way to re-enter the atmosphere after all this time? Sheesh that's scary.

• Locked thread